Webmasters
• Christian Guestbooks
• Banner Exchange
• Dynamic Content

Subscribe to our Free Newsletter.
Enter your email address:

ChristiansUnite
Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 07:37:36 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Our Lord Jesus Christ loves you.
286799 Posts in 27568 Topics by 3790 Members
Latest Member: Goodwin
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  ChristiansUnite Forums
|-+  Fellowship
| |-+  Just For Women (Moderator: admin)
| | |-+  Modest Clothing
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Modest Clothing  (Read 12966 times)
TalkerCat
Gold Member

ON FIRE FOR THE LORD!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #45 on: February 08, 2006, 07:14:40 PM »

Thanks Willow!  That was beautiful. I think I'll share it with my pastor because my home church is, I guess you would call, a "come as you are" atmosphere and some people have taken that too literally!  One Sunday I was seated behind a young woman (20-something) that was showing off a pair of thong underwear!  Shocked  I was shocked! THEN I learned that she is the wife of one of the ushers! Shouldn't the pastor, or maybe his wife, say something when a person is dressed inappropriately?  I know we want people in church, but why do I have to look at their underwear or cleavage?  Is "scaring someone off" worth keeping a modest house?  Just a question to ponder.  I personally feel that a "lady" should dress like one - and showing ones underwear is inappropriate ANYWHERE not just in church.

Blessings-
Terri

Willowbirch
Gold Member

He is risen! - He is risen indeed.

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: February 21, 2006, 03:33:27 PM »

One Sunday I was seated behind a young woman (20-something) that was showing off a pair of thong underwear!  Shocked  I was shocked! THEN I learned that she is the wife of one of the ushers! Shouldn't the pastor, or maybe his wife, say something when a person is dressed inappropriately?  I know we want people in church, but why do I have to look at their underwear or cleavage?

Blessings-
Terri[/b]
Oh, wow.  Embarrassed That's almost worse than a fig leaf.  Yes, definitely "inappropriate anywhere" (in public, at least!)

"Man dreams and desires; God broods, and wills, and quickens."
Willowbirch
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: February 21, 2006, 03:37:28 PM »

well...im not sure what MODEST is ...but i know what ITS NOT..

LOL! It seems that a lot of things on the "Christian Walk" are like that...

sincereheart
Gold Member

"and with His stripes we are healed." Isaiah 53:5

View Profile WWW
« Reply #48 on: March 16, 2006, 05:16:06 PM »

VERSE:
   As God's chosen people, holy and dearly loved, clothe yourselves
with compassion, kindness, humility, gentleness and patience.
    -- Colossians 3:12

THOUGHT:
   "Wonder what I'll need to wear to that meeting?" Paul reminds us
that there is a set of clothing that is always in style. We wear
this clothing because we are special. This clothing is from the
Ultimate Designer's collection that is called character and is best
worn when with other people. These qualities are hard to wear, but
always a blessing to those who meet us when we're decked out in
this wardrobe.

PRAYER:
   Abba Father, thank you for bringing me into your family. May I
never disappoint you in the way I treat others. May they see in me
the qualities of character that can be attributed only to your
presence in my life. To you be the glory and the honor, forever and
ever, in the name of Jesus my Lord. Amen.

http://www.heartlight.org/

Dee

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: March 18, 2006, 03:00:51 PM »

Hi everyone,

I'm new here so please forgive me if I mess this up.   Smiley

After reading some of the responses here I thought about how I dress and what I believe is appropriate for me and my daughter who is sixteen.  What I think is that no matter what, there will always be someone who feels that my dress or hers is not modest enough.  My daughter and I sometimes shop together and she knows my thoughts on different types of clothes.  Only on one occasion after shopping with her friends did she need to return an item, not because it exposed too much but because I thought it was more appropriate for maybe an older teen.   My point is that we as parents and as individual have to settle in our own heart what it modest or appropriate dress.  I totally agree that when you are a child of God you want to change different things, the way you dress may be one of those things.  And we are to be careful that what we do or say does not cause another brother or sister stumble.
Now, do we cover up ever inch of our bodies so that no one is tempted?  I really don't think so.  I don't believe there's anything wrong with wearing short sleeves or skirts above the knee or simply wearing pants.  I believe that we need to be mindful what we wear at all times but what I may deem as appropriate, my friend may not and we have to accept that we are different, our ideas about what's right or wrong will not always be the same.  We as fellow brothers and sister in Christ must respect one another and not judge a person because they don't things the way we believe they should be done.  One of the things that God gives is free will ... freedom of choice.  If I make a wrong choice, only I have to answer for it, no else.  So when someone is dressed inappropriate, instead judging them, our first instinct should be to pray for them.  God is the only One that knows the heart(1 Samuel 16:7) and is the only One has the right to judge.  That means that we can not look at a person and decide whether they are saved or not because of how they dress.  This happens a lot in my home church, where the older members judge the younger ones.  The sad thing is that instead mentoring the young people we now have separate worship services because the generation clash instead of embracing one another.  Sometime so simply as clothing can do damage that I don't think any of us want to be responsible for.
Anytime we judge we must examine our own motives because sometimes we can hold ourselves higher than others and in our pride we can look down at people instead of lifting them up.
My intent is not judge anyone because of their options because I have mine as well.  The bottom line is that we as individual have to stand before Jesus someday to be judged ... each of us will be accountable for ourselves and what we did or did not do... and also for the words we speak.

God Bless
Dee

TalkerCat
Gold Member

ON FIRE FOR THE LORD!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #50 on: March 18, 2006, 04:09:06 PM »

Very well said, Dee!  Your words caused me to take a second look at myself and I realize that I can be too judgemental, especially if I see a very short skirt or a low cut blouse.  Thank you for reminding me that I must pray when I see someone that may be misguided.

Blessings~

TalkerCat

WELCOME TO CHRISTIANS UNITE!

sincereheart
Gold Member

View Profile WWW
« Reply #51 on: March 20, 2006, 07:18:35 AM »

Well said, Dee! We can offer our own opinions all day long but in the end most of them can't be justified by Scripture though so many will try to do  so! But what I've come to learn is that God is big enough to handle each instance where He is displeased, and He is the One who's thoughts I value. That's for those who follow Him.

For those who don't, then we need to remember that it's not our jobs to clean folks up for Him - He will do that once they come to accept Him. In His time!

The sad part to me is that so many of our youth don't know their value to the Lord! And if they are received by the local Body with love and acceptance then they begin to feel loved and accepted. But when there is condemnation and judgement over personal opinions then they rebel against the Body and ultimately maybe even the Lord. I, personally, don't want that millstone!

And when a youth asks me my opinion, I will gladly share with them my opinion - with the disclaimer that it's my own personal opinion! We have local meeting places full of well-dressed, self-righteous, folks who do more damge than good and profess it to be in the name of God.

Dee

View Profile
« Reply #52 on: March 21, 2006, 10:20:20 PM »

Sincereheart, you are so right!  I give my opinion as well and when it comes to my own daughter, probably more than I need to.. just want to make sure the point I'm trying to make is well taken by her. Roll Eyes  Besides, she'll thank me someday.   Smiley  There are so many young people that come to our churches who feel like they are not accepted because of their personal choices.  Most of the time they don't even realize the choice is bad.  What I've found being close to a lot the kids, the girls especially, is that they crying out for love they feel they're not getting.  I have seen first hand how damaging the judging can be.  Not only do the kids not realize their worth but they have adults, by their actions, also telling them they have no worth.  You're right though .... we should love and accept them and let God do the changing.  Smiley

There's a brother name Ron Luce, a youth evangelist who is the founder of Teen Mania.  He authored a book called  Battle Cry for a Generation... The Fight to Save America's Youth.  Although I have not read the entire book yet but from just reading a few sections, I think it's a book to be read by any and everyone with a heart for our youth.  They are truly in a battle and we must do all we can to help them get through it.  I believe if we can come to understand their battle, we will understand why music, movies and modest dress has become such an issue with this generation more so then in the past.  Only when we come to know the spiritual fight they are in, will we be able to help them, if we are committed.
I know it may seem like I'm going on and on and on but I am very passionate about the youth.  Probably because I have a teenager so I get to see and hear about the things they are dealing with on a regular basis.  And not just with my teen but her friends and their families.  They are truly in a crisis but it's not too late... that's good thing.  In case anyone would like to check out the website, here's the address:

Link removed for advertising

« Last Edit: March 21, 2006, 11:56:24 PM by DreamWeaver » Logged
sincereheart
Gold Member

View Profile WWW
« Reply #53 on: March 25, 2006, 05:15:35 PM »

Amen Dee! Feel free to go "on and on"! LOL!  Cheesy
If you get a chance, I'd love for you to send me the link in a PM. I'd be interested in checking it out!  Wink

Willowbirch
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #54 on: April 16, 2006, 03:41:04 PM »

I found a neat book on Modesty for teen girls, although I imagine it could work for old gals too. Its very kind and loving and "cool", but also challenging, with some brief, interesting studies on old Hebrew words dealing with sin and modesty. The title is "Secret Keeper" by Dannah Gresh.

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

More From ChristiansUnite...    About Us | Privacy Policy | | ChristiansUnite.com Site Map | Statement of Beliefs

Copyright © 1999-2019 ChristiansUnite.com. All rights reserved.
Please send your questions, comments, or bug reports to the