Webmasters
• Christian Guestbooks
• Banner Exchange
• Dynamic Content

Subscribe to our Free Newsletter.
Enter your email address:

ChristiansUnite
Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 18, 2024, 10:25:01 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Our Lord Jesus Christ loves you.
286798 Posts in 27568 Topics by 3790 Members
Latest Member: Goodwin
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  ChristiansUnite Forums
|-+  Theology
| |-+  General Theology (Moderator: admin)
| | |-+  Holy Spirit
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Holy Spirit  (Read 13499 times)
felix102

Jesus Christ is Lord!

View Profile
« on: December 10, 2004, 03:23:44 AM »

John 14:16-17
I will ask the Father, and he will give you another Counselor to be with you forever- the Spirit of Truth. The world cannot accept him, because it neither sees him nor knows him. But you know him, for he lives with you and will be in you."

John 16:13
But when he, the Spirit of Truth, comes, he will guide you into ALL truth. He will bring glory to me by taking from what is mine and making it known to you.

I ask you is it through Man's work that we find the things of God? Is it through studious study of semantics, connotation, and language of the bible that we find the truths of God? In bible studies I see Man's attempt to find truths by their OWN knowledge and not by the Holy Spirit. I ask you, is this in SPIRIT and in TRUTH? For the Father seeks those that will worship Him in Spirit and in Truth.

Study of the word of God is important because it is the sword against Satan. But dont forget that it is "the sword of the Spirit...which is the word of God" (ephesians 6:17). It is by the Spirit first. The Devil knows the word of God better than anyone...better than you and even the translators of the KJV. The Devil even knows the word of God in all languages including the original one it was written in. But it is only through the Holy Spirit that we can truly see. It is the Holy Spirit that makes what is from Jesus known to us! The Devil cannot do this and Man's knowledge cannot do this; ONLY the Holy Spirit.

This is for someone in particular.

Pilgrim

Jesus is Lord

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2004, 03:55:05 AM »

Who?

New Life Bible Chapel
http://www.nlbchapel.org
Brother Love
Gold Member

"FAITH ALONE IN CHRIST ALONE"

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2004, 04:00:21 AM »

Who?

YOU!!!! Grin

Merry Christmas Bro Grin

THINGS THAT DIFFER By C.R. Stam
Read it on line for "FREE"

http://www.geocities.com/protestantscot/ttd/ttd_chap1.html

<Smiley))><
Brother Love
Gold Member

"FAITH ALONE IN CHRIST ALONE"

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2004, 05:23:14 AM »

For U -No -Who

1Cor:2:10: But God hath revealed them unto us by his Spirit: for the Spirit searcheth all things, yea, the deep things of God.

I Corinthians 2:13: "Which things also we speak, not in the words which man's wisdom teacheth, but which the Holy Ghost teacheth; comparing spiritual things with spiritual."

1Cor. 2:14: But the natural man receiveth not the things of the Spirit of God: for they are

foolishness unto him: neither can he know them, because they are spiritually discerned.

The Holy Spirit teaches or works in us by comparing spiritual things with spiritual. That is, the Holy Spirit works through the ONE source that is spiritual, the written Word of God.

Paul tells us that we are to strengthen and renew our inner man (Ephesians 3:16, II Corinthians 4:16) through a daily intake of God’s Word rightly divided. This is accomplished by the Holy Spirit working in our inner man in conjunction with the intake of the written Word of God so that we may be strengthened.

Paul goes on to write in Colossians 3:10: "And have put on the new man, which is renewed in knowledge after the image of him that created him:" We gain knowledge by studying the Scripture.

THINGS THAT DIFFER By C.R. Stam
Read it on line for "FREE"

http://www.geocities.com/protestantscot/ttd/ttd_chap1.html

<Smiley))><
felix102

Jesus Christ is Lord!

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2004, 01:29:52 PM »

Who?

Well, I dont want to name names. But I think this is good for anyone else who may be forgeting that it is by the Holy Spirit that we find the truths OF God and not by Man's or our works.

livingbyfaith

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2004, 07:34:54 PM »

I just wrote this a couple weeks ago.  It seems appropriate to post it now.  I definitely need the Holy Spirit to lead me in what I write.  If I try to write under my own power, it falls flat.  

When I first started writing in 1987, I tried to be a people pleaser.  The Holy Spirit would tell me to write something.  I didn't want to because I thought some one would get mad at me.  I obeyed any way.  I gave a copy to a lady.  The next time I saw her, she said she really needed that.  I asked her: "What part especially?"  It was the very words I wanted to leave out.  So you never know where God's words will go.

John 14:26 “But the Comforter, which is the Holy Ghost, whom the Father will send in my name, he shall teach you all things, and bring all things to your remembrance, whatsoever I have said unto you.”

Before you can remember something, you have to have heard or read it somewhere before.  It may have been in your mind for a long time but it was pushed way back when other things filled your mind.  Just one word may let you pull the thought out of your memory bank.  It will seem like just yesterday that it was fresh.  

What do we have to remember?  We weren’t with the disciples but Jesus told them: “Whatsoever I have said unto you.”  How can we remember what Jesus said?  We weren’t there.  We go to the scriptures in the Bible.  Before we can remember anything in the Bible, we have to have read it first-maybe several times before it sinks it.  Often we didn’t understand it at first because we weren’t ready for it yet.  So the more you read the Bible, even when you don’t understand it, the more memories are stored in your mind.  When you need that very thing, the Holy Spirit will remind you.

II Timothy 3:16 “All scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness.”  This includes the Old Testament.  II Peter 1:19-21  “We have also a more sure word of prophesy---Knowing this first that no prophecy of the scripture is of any private interpretation.  For the prophecy came not in old time by the will of man: but holy men of God spoke as they were moved by the Holy Ghost.”   (Strong Concordance 5012---prophesy---to speak by inspiration  {in prediction---foretell a future event} or simple discourse---communication of ideas or information---Webster’s dictionary.)

The Holy Spirit can either give a prophesy of something that will happen in the future (as told to the prophets of old.  The Holy Spirit wasn’t living in them yet.) or give understanding of the scripture to someone who can interpret the matter on hand; whether it is a doctrine, reproof, correction, or instruction in righteousness.  These are all guidelines to a holy life.

John 14:16 & 17  “And I will pray the Father, and He shall give you another Comforter, that he may abide with you forever; Even the Spirit of truth, whom the world can not receive, because it sees him not, neither knows him: but you know him, for he dwells with you, and shall be in you.”

I John 2:27  “But the anointing which you have received of him abides in you, and you need not that any man teach you: but as the same anointing teaches you all things, and is truth, and is no lie, and even as it has taught you, you shall abide in him.”  

Even when someone does give an interpretation of a scripture, and some do need help in understanding, don’t just take his word as truth without checking it with the scriptures.  Don’t take my word either.  Being the imperfect creatures we are, we can make a mistake when we let our own ideas take the lead.  But believe me; the Holy Spirit will let you know when you are wrong if you are open to his correction.

I keep learning. I have been corrected, too when my own thoughts slip in.  That is what we are all to be doing instead of becoming stagnant, thinking we know it all.  I told my daughter-in-law after I had been a Christian for awhile, that the more I learn the less I know.  I thought I had all the answers.  No one ever has all the answers at once.  We keep learning as we go.  She got angry and said she thought I was more spiritual than that.  I just let it go.  

John 16:12  “I have yet many things to say unto you, but you can not bear them now.”  Jesus taught them in parables of things they were familiar with.  Same with Nahum 2:3 “The chariots would rage in the streets, they shall jostle one against another in the broad ways: they shall seem like torches, they shall run like lightening.”

Our chariots are automobiles that run like lightening.  Road rage is running rampant; some even running into others who get in the way.  What is the big rush?  We live in the “instant this or that; no patience to wait. Nahum would think you were crazy if you talked about this.  No way could he understand such a precept.

The writers of the Bible (old and new testaments) had a difficult time getting all the facts that they were told to write on scripts but they were persistent.  If I had to write this in the same way, I might have given up and say forget it!  It takes me about an hour for each page I write, what with looking up the scriptures etc.  Imagine how long it took them to write whole books.

No wonder Jesus told the Apostles they couldn’t bear it.  What did they know about typewriters then word processors and now computers?  So it takes me one or two hours to write, yet in about 2 seconds it can be sent all over the world and translated into another language at the same time.  I first noticed this when I was writing to a lady in Korea.  I would get an email from her.  She wrote in Korean and was translated into English before I could open it up.  That amazed me.  

DANIEL 12:4 " says:  "But you, o Daniel, shut up the words, and seal the book, even to the time of the end: many shall run to and fro, and knowledge will increase"  People are getting too smart for their own good.  Cloning scares me and it should you, too.  Men are trying to be like God; creating new life. Along with other things that seem so amazing and impossible.  

With all this technology, many prophecies become understandable now.  We may not know exactly how they will come about but we are aware they could be possible.  

John 16:13  “Howbeit when he, the Spirit of truth, is come, he will guide you into ALL truth; for he shall not speak of himself; but whatsoever he shall hear; that shall he speak: and he will show you things to come.”

With television, we see events while they are happening.  I was born before T.V.  I was 18 when I saw my first one---all of 7” and in black and white.  We now sit in the comforts of our home and watch a war going on.

In conclusion should we be amazed when the Holy Spirit shows us things that are to come?  May God help us to be ready for the return of Jesus.  It may be sooner than we think.  We have to live our life as if he is on his way this very minute; that God, the Father has told him it is time.

God bless us as we try to understand and accept His WORD as truth without interference by man.  Revelation 22:18-20 “For I testify unto every man that hears the words of the prophecy of this book, If any man shall add unto these things, God shall add unto him the plagues that are written in this book:  And if any man shall take away from the words of this book of this prophecy, God shall take away his part out of the book of life, and out of the holy city, and from the things which are written in this book.  He which testifies these things says, “Surely, I come quickly.  Even so, come, Lord Jesus.

Hebrews 4:12 "For the Word of God is quick, and powerful, and sharper than any two-edged sword."
gary cook

born again

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 10, 2004, 09:21:22 PM »

Flelix, yes this is TRUTH .But in TRUTH ,some one wrote we must see it somewhere else in order for the HOLY SPIRIT to REVEAL ?This is not TRUTH .But I do believe it is easier for the HOLY SPIRIT to reveal TRUTH if We have read something ,like the bible or a testamony . But HE has reveal lots with no knowlege before .Look at JOHN ,or paul .or even JESUS CHRIST HIM SELF as HE WAS TAUGHT BY THE HOLY SPIRIT EVERY THING .DON"T THINK THAT ,BECAUSE JESUS CHRIST WAS THE SON OF GOD .THAT HE DID NOT LEARN AS WE DO .BUT IN HIS CASE .HE DID NOTHING WITH OUT BEING LED OF THE SPIRIT .AS WE SHOULD BE ?BUT WE ARE NOT .BUT SOME ARE LED MORE THAN OTHERS .WILLINGNESS ,BELIEVING ,PUTTING YOUR SELF ASIDE ,AND BEING HUMBLE .THIS WILL CAUSE YOU TO LEARN ?GOD DESIRES TOO TEACH US ALL THINGS .WE LOSE A GREAT DEAL BY NOT SUBMITING TO HIM .WHO KNOWS ?WHAT GREAT BLESSING WE HAVE LOST ?NEVER TOO KNOW ?I BELIEVE WE ALL LOSE SOME .As EVEN THE THINGS ?I DO KNOW ?I SEE THE LOSS .SO THERE MUST BE MORE I HAVE LOST .

lean not to your own understanding ,the just live by faith ,you do not need to be taught of any man ,the HOLY  SPIRIT will teach you everything .We are NEW CREATURES IN CHRIST JESUS .NOT OF THIS WORLD .WE ARE AS OUR LORD .HE WILL RETURN SOON FOR HIS BRIDE .Rev 1:6  And hath made us kings and priests
Pilgrim

Jesus is Lord

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: December 10, 2004, 11:35:52 PM »

God bless us as we try to understand and accept His WORD as truth without interference by man.

Eph 4:11  "And he gave some, apostles; and some, prophets; and some, evangelists; and some, pastors and teachers;

12  For the perfecting of the saints, for the work of the ministry, for the edifying of the body of Christ: 13  Till we all come in the unity of the faith, and of the knowledge of the Son of God, unto a perfect man, unto the measure of the stature of the fulness of Christ: 14  That we henceforth be no more children, tossed to and fro, and carried about with every wind of doctrine, by the sleight of men, and cunning craftiness, whereby they lie in wait to deceive; 15  But speaking the truth in love, may grow up into him in all things, which is the head, even Christ:"

Pilgrim

New Life Bible Chapel
gary cook

born again

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 10, 2004, 11:50:27 PM »

I agree 100% .BUT can I tell you this .OUR TESTAMONY is very important .It is one of the 3 ways we overcome .we must have one and share it .the other 2 is not loving our lifes unto death .and the blood of jesus christ .as you well know .we must have these three to overcome .But I want to add ,this little thought ?when it came down too the place ,where i had to make a choice to trust man kind or jesus christ .i think i always trusted the lord .and he has never failed me .sometimes it was life or death for my kids and myself .and sometimes ?my whole family was againth me .my mother wife sisters ,friends .even many in the church .but somehow though the grace of god .he gave me the courage to stand in faith .did i do anything ?not really .HE DID IT .I just desired to believe .as you well know ?he gets all the glory and honor .because he really does it all .

lean not to your own understanding ,the just live by faith ,you do not need to be taught of any man ,the HOLY  SPIRIT will teach you everything .We are NEW CREATURES IN CHRIST JESUS .NOT OF THIS WORLD .WE ARE AS OUR LORD .HE WILL RETURN SOON FOR HIS BRIDE .Rev 1:6  And hath made us kings and priests
felix102

Jesus Christ is Lord!

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 12, 2004, 03:23:22 AM »

Amen brothers and sisters.

Brother Love, the Holy Spirit works in conjunction with the word. It is through this knowledge that the Holy Spirit can do its more powerful work. However, the Holy Spirit is not limited to just scripture; scripture is not the ONE and only spiritual thing. This is the fault.

Consider what Gary said...Paul was not taught by the Holy Spirit though scripture but from God directly

Romans 9:1 "I speak the truth in Christ - I am not lying, my conscience confirms it in the Holy Spirit- "

This is a truth of God given to Paul through the Holy Spirit.

Brother Love, consider Ephesians 3:19 "and to know this love that surpasses knowledge -that you may be filled to the measure of all the fullness of God."

When you look at a bible study are you looking for Man's competance in it's writing? If this is all you look for in bible studies then you are missing what the Holy Spirit is saying to you. Am I saying that we shouldn't have bible study at all? No, that's inane. Maybe you will understand more if I give a personal story:

when I was 12 I was a very fervant bible reader. Even before this age I vowed to seek the truth no matter what cost. I read every book in the new testament and I read proverbs over and over. I thought I understood everything. I could give anyone who asked a lecture on theology from the bible. What's funny is I brought no one to Christ. Even though I knew the new testament I didnt know who Christ really was. In fact, it wasn't until I was 13 that I accepted Jesus even though I believed in God when I was 7. (Many people in all sorts of religions believe in God -yes, God the Father - but they are utterly lost; it is only through Jesus) At that point, I started discovering more and more truths from what I had read. This was the Holy Spirit working in me. I thought I already knew all there was to know but I kept learning! Each time I read, I got something different from it. It is then that I knew that I could not rely on my own knowledge or intelligence to find the things of God, but only through Holy Spirit. I use to make God so sophisticated and complex; this got me nowhere. Jesus is simple.

So what I'm trying to say is: bible study is a necessity, but if you treat it like a science study...you will not get anywhere. Dont judge by literary competance, sentence structure, or syntax. These things belong to man's knowledge. The things of God belong to Jesus and Jesus is simple. things dont need to be so complicated.

Do all things in Love and that will be from God. When you want to praise someone for what they say; do it in Love and your praise will be done in truth. When you want to rebuke someone for what they say; do it in Love and your rebuke will be the truth from God. If any of these things are not done in Love, then it is purely from yourself alone and your own knowledge; and it will not be from God. "Love surpasses knowledge"
Pilgrim

Jesus is Lord

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: December 12, 2004, 09:39:30 AM »

Act 18:24  And a certain Jew named Apollos, born at Alexandria, an eloquent man, and mighty in the scriptures, came to Ephesus. 25  This man was instructed in the way of the Lord; and being fervent in the spirit, he spake and taught diligently the things of the Lord, knowing only the baptism of John.

26  And he began to speak boldly in the synagogue: whom when Aquila and Priscilla had heard, they took him unto them, and expounded unto him the way of God more perfectly.

Expound
EXPOUND', v.t. [L. expono; ex and pono, to set.]

1. To explain; to lay open the meaning; to clear of obscurity; to interpret; as, to expound a text of scripture; to expound a law.

2. To lay open; to examine; as, to expound the pocket. [Not used.]

perfectly   G197
&#945;&#787;?&#961;&#953;&#946;&#949;&#769;?&#964;&#949;&#961;&#959;&#957;
akribesteron
Thayer Definition:
1) more exactly, more perfectly
Part of Speech: adjective
A Related Word by Thayer’s/Strong’s Number: neuter of the comparative of the same as G196

pilgrim
« Last Edit: December 12, 2004, 09:46:42 AM by Pilgrim » Logged

New Life Bible Chapel
felix102

Jesus Christ is Lord!

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 12, 2004, 03:32:27 PM »

Pilgrim, don't think I am saying not to teach the bible. This is not what I am saying.

Again this is for a specific circumstance for a specific person. This reveals a lot of truth for others too. You cannot find the things of God through your own intelligence and knowledge alone. It is only through the Holy Spirit.

"All scripture is inspired by God and is useful for teaching, rebuking, correcting and training in righteousness, so that the man of God may be thoroughly equipped for every good work."

The Word equips us for good work; and the Holy Spirit drives the good work.

Read as much of the word as you can each and every day. Ask God to write it on the tablet of your heart that his Word may be used when you are attacked by Satan. I'm confident that 90% of the Holy Spirit's work is done through me by revelation of the word, but the Holy Spirit's work does not just encompass scripture. Speaking in tongues, healing, and prophecy is the work of the Holy Spirit. These things make manifest the Holy Spirit, thus this is a target for Satan to eschew; there are many fake healings, speaking in tongues, and prophecy that are driven not by the Holy Spirit but by an unclean spirit. These things are driven by things that are not seen, thus these or more like the supernatural phenomenon that is frequently regarded in disbelief because we do not understand it. YOU CANNOT TEST THESE BY LOGIC because you cannot see it. This is what I am talking about: you cant rely on your own knowledge. You have to test the spirit. It is spiritual discernment, not logical discernment.

I pray that all of us may be filled with the knowledge of scripture and the Holy Spirit. Do everything in Love.
gary cook

born again

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 12, 2004, 03:37:43 PM »

GEE ,brother ,AMEN .BLESS YOU

Pilgrim

Jesus is Lord

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: December 12, 2004, 03:45:09 PM »

Spiritual discernment is done with the mind of man as it is enlightened by the Word of God. It is not done by that funny feeling one gets in the stomach which more than likely is just bad pepperoni anyway.

Pilgrim

New Life Bible Chapel
gary cook

born again

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 12, 2004, 03:57:31 PM »

yes the HOLY SPIRIT speaks to us in our mind .just as satan does .That is why .The LORd said ,my sheep will hear my voice.we will know .who is speaking .

Pages: [1] 2 3 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

More From ChristiansUnite...    About Us | Privacy Policy | | ChristiansUnite.com Site Map | Statement of Beliefs

Copyright © 1999-2019 ChristiansUnite.com. All rights reserved.
Please send your questions, comments, or bug reports to the