Webmasters
• Christian Guestbooks
• Banner Exchange
• Dynamic Content

Subscribe to our Free Newsletter.
Enter your email address:

ChristiansUnite
Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 11:10:04 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Our Lord Jesus Christ loves you.
286776 Posts in 27568 Topics by 3790 Members
Latest Member: Goodwin
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  ChristiansUnite Forums
|-+  Theology
| |-+  Prophecy - Current Events (Moderator: admin)
| | |-+  Declaration of Independence is banned !
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Declaration of Independence is banned !  (Read 1438 times)
Alnilam

ATM

View Profile
« on: November 26, 2004, 01:51:57 PM »

or so the headline would have you believe -

http://www.sanmateocountytimes.com/Stories/0,1413,87~11268~2556644,00.html

So what do we have here ?  Promotion of religion or censorship ?  What do you think ?

Peace

Alnilam
Soldier4Christ
Global Moderator
Gold Member

One Nation Under God

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2004, 03:06:51 PM »

The Maryland Public Schools system is adamant that ‘students may give thanks to anyone but, God’. Charles Ridgell said "We teach about Thanksgiving from a purely historical perspective, not from a religious perspective."

And California, (of course), is taking the "separation of church and state" one step further – dealing with whether it's unconstitutional to read the Declaration of Independence in public school.

Is this a backlash from the recent elections? Is the Left going to remove all references of God from history? Are we going to let them?

In a season typified by lawsuits against manger scenes, crosses and even the words "Merry Christmas," a California case is taking the "separation of church and state" one step further – dealing with whether it's unconstitutional to read the Declaration of Independence in public school.

Attorneys for the Alliance Defense Fund filed suit Monday against the Cupertino Union School District for prohibiting a teacher from providing supplemental handouts to students about American history because the historical documents contain some references to God and religion.

"Throwing aside all common sense, the district has chosen to censor men such as George Washington and documents like the Declaration of Independence," said ADF Senior Counsel Gary McCaleb. "The district's actions conflict with American beliefs and are completely unconstitutional."

Patricia Vidmar, principal of the Stevens Creek School, reportedly ordered the teacher, Stephen Williams, to submit his lesson plans and supplemental handouts to her for advance approval. Aside from Williams, a Christian, no other teachers were subject to the advance-screening requirement, says the ADF.

Just what documents did Williams submit that were deemed unfit for the school's students?

"Excerpts from the Declaration of Independence, the diaries of George Washington and John Adams, the writings of William Penn, and various state constitutions," said the public-interest law firm representing Willliams.

"Less than five percent of all of Mr. Williams" supplemental handouts distributed throughout the school year contain references to God and Christianity," McCaleb said. "The district is simply attempting to cleanse all references to the Christian religion from our nation's history, and they are singling out Mr. Williams for discriminatory treatment. Their actions are unacceptable under both California and federal law."

California's Education Code does allow "references to religion or references to or the use of religious literature … when such references or uses do not constitute instruction in religious principles … and when such references or uses are incidental to or illustrative of matters properly included in the course of study."

The case, Stephen J. Williams v. Cupertino Union School District, et al., was filed in the U.S. District Court for the Northern District of California, Oakland Division.

http://www.worldnetdaily.com/news/article.asp?ARTICLE_ID=41623

Appears to be biased censorship.

« Last Edit: November 26, 2004, 03:09:03 PM by Pastor Roger » Logged

Joh 9:4  I must work the works of him that sent me, while it is day: the night cometh, when no man can work.
Alnilam

ATM

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2004, 04:40:08 PM »

I don't think the link I provided above worked as it should have.  Sad

http://www.sanmateocountytimes.com/Stories/0,1413,87~11268~2556644,00.html#

I think that fixed it.  Smiley

The DoI has not been banned, what has been banned are "supplemental excerpts".  I can only wonder what these excerpts contained and how they were presented.  I found another article from Reuters :

http://www.reuters.com/printerFriendlyPopup.jhtml?type=topNews&storyID=6911883

What caught my eye were the words "true history" , and the statement discrimination was based on his being Christian.  Does this imply the school was teaching "false history" ?  I also had to wonder whether there are other Christian teachers and whether they are being descriminated against.  I hope not.  

My gut feeling right now is that Mr. Williams is going to lose this one.  If the handouts are found to be inappropriate for the classroom, his free speach has not been violated.

Peace

Alnilam
Alnilam

ATM

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2004, 04:44:19 PM »

I almost forgot, the worldnetdaily article had this to say :

In a season typified by lawsuits against manger scenes, crosses and even the words "Merry Christmas,"

I have never heard of anyone being sued for saying "Merry Christmas".  Has anyone else ?

Peace

Alnilam  
Soldier4Christ
Global Moderator
Gold Member

One Nation Under God

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2004, 07:41:52 PM »

If a person says "Merry Christmas"  or just "Christmas" it falls under free speech. So far this has not been ruled against by the courts. It was attacked to have those words displayed in/on public  places but I am not sure of the outcome on it.

There is a movement against the ACLU known as the ACLJ

"700 lawyers ready to fight ACLU lawsuits Legal group's 'Christmas Project' designed to protect public schools"

http://www.libertypost.org/cgi-bin/readart.cgi?ArtNum=76551

http://www.aclj.org/Default.aspx

Joh 9:4  I must work the works of him that sent me, while it is day: the night cometh, when no man can work.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

More From ChristiansUnite...    About Us | Privacy Policy | | ChristiansUnite.com Site Map | Statement of Beliefs

Copyright © 1999-2019 ChristiansUnite.com. All rights reserved.
Please send your questions, comments, or bug reports to the