Webmasters
• Christian Guestbooks
• Banner Exchange
• Dynamic Content

Subscribe to our Free Newsletter.
Enter your email address:

ChristiansUnite
Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 25, 2024, 02:45:55 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Our Lord Jesus Christ loves you.
286804 Posts in 27568 Topics by 3790 Members
Latest Member: Goodwin
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  ChristiansUnite Forums
|-+  Theology
| |-+  General Theology (Moderator: admin)
| | |-+  Christianity and new age/phycics
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Christianity and new age/phycics  (Read 2705 times)
skeevesgirl

I'm a llama!

View Profile
« on: June 23, 2003, 11:41:42 AM »

Hi. This si my first time posting here. I wasn't sure where to post this question so I hope it is ok here.

I have been a christian since I was 17 (in my late 20's now), but I am ashamed to say that I am not very well versed in the Bible or very good at explaining "WHY" I beleive what I do.

Last night some friends came over and we got talking about christianity and the beliefs that Christians hold. While there are many differing opinions throughout denominations I view my walk with God as one based on the Bible. My friends who are not yet saved but are very curious and searching kept asking questions escpecially pertaining to their favorite television show "Crossing Over with John Edwards" I voiced that while I cannot say for sure, I do not think this is of God nor glorifying to his cause. I got blasted with questions like what is the difference between a phycic and a prophet and how do you know the difference, and how can you say that he (john Edwards) is not bringing messages of peace from God through peoples passed family members. While I have read of sorcery and stuff in the bible, how can I relate this to them (my friends) in a more modern sense. My very long and emotional conversation with them last night left me confused and angry that I couldn't better defend my faith. Any thoughts? Reading I could do? Anything?

Thanks,

Julie
Seven_Tides
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2003, 02:03:58 PM »

Hi skeevesgirl.

It's nice to see another christian.

The difference between a psychic and a prophet?

There are a few differences:

A prophet is God inspired, and foretells future events by
divine inspiration.

A psychic is a new age term for a predicter, a prognosticator.
A psychic is not divinely inspired, is self righteous, and believes it's a gift when it's a lie.

Don't be deceived by these false prophets. All they do is tell
lies, or, Satanic truths. They are dangerous, and deceive
many.

Be strong, and don't let them delude you from the truth.

Well, I can give you some purposes on why you believe in
God.

You believe He loves you, and will save you from eternal hellfire if you repent for your sins.

You believe He gave up His only Son, Jesus Christ, to die on
the Cross so that your sins could be washed clean!

You believe by faith, which is by grace, that God is God, and
that Jesus is your Personal Saviour.

Here are a few verses to refer to:

John 14:6, John 10:9, John 3:16

You should read the Bible, different books and chapters
each day. And study the Bible, for it's your tool from God
to defend the faith and spread love.

God bless you Skeevsgirl.

If you want more, don't be afraid to ask. Smiley

longdog

Shooting Fish

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2003, 02:28:29 PM »

It is now and always has been showmanship. All of this 'psychic' nonsense is a sham, a con and a deceitful and ultimately exploitative trick played on the vulnerable.

The 'debunker' James Randi does an excellent psychic act, communing with dead relatives and all that jazz. He'll tell you it's a trick and how he does it.

I'm getting a message through from a james or a john, could be justin.... julian?  janet? have you lost someone with the name janet? no? Doris you say? yes, that's it Doris, the veil is lifting now.... etc etc Roll Eyes

may god keep all good people from such bad company.

Seven_Tides
« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2003, 02:52:38 PM »

Oh Longdog, did you see the show/movie "the Amazing Randi"?

My dad taped that on a tape, and he said pretty much the same thing as you did.
pnotc

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2003, 03:02:55 PM »

Julie-

There are many differences between a pyschic and a prophet.  

One, a biblical prophet is one that delivers a call to repentance and glorifies God very concsiously and purposively.  I've only seen Crossing Over a couple of times, but his message is mostly one of comfort and does not ever seem to mention a higher power, much less a need to be in a right relationship with him.  It may sound ironic, but God's prophets don't usually deliver a message of peace, because God's people aren't usually living as they should. The walk of faith is not always easy and requires concentration and dedication, hence the need for correction.  Psychics and new-age mediums all seem to focus on change and transformation, but only in an internal sense.  They do not see the need for change in relation to an external, ie, God.  

Second, a prophet doesn't look to get paid for his services and, in fact, are frequently ostracized from the community in the Bible.  Look at the experiences of Moses, Jeremiah and many other OT prophets.  Some were great leaders, but most paid the price for their proximity to God by having to sacrifice their closeness to their community.  Citing Paul's example in the NT, he says he wouldn't even accept money if it was offered to him, because he didn't want anyone to question his motives.  Johnathan Edwards is most certainly looking to get paid, so in my mind, that immediately calls into question any claim to prophethood.

And for some biblical support to your position, check out the parable of the Rich Man and Lazarus in Luke, chapter 16 I think.  There, Lazarus is prevented from communicating anything to the living, even though it may have helped them to repent and come to know the Lord.  

Hope this helps!
longdog

Shooting Fish

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2003, 05:14:39 PM »

Oh Longdog, did you see the show/movie "the Amazing Randi"?

My dad taped that on a tape, and he said pretty much the same thing as you did.

I don't know if it was the same one, probably not as I recall the programme being UK based (a lot about Doris Stokes (remember her  Roll Eyes )) It was a few years back but he crops up now and again on british telly, last seen debunking homeopathy.

He's very good isn't he? (not to mention being deadpan funny)  Grin

may god keep all good people from such bad company.

Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

More From ChristiansUnite...    About Us | Privacy Policy | | ChristiansUnite.com Site Map | Statement of Beliefs

Copyright © 1999-2019 ChristiansUnite.com. All rights reserved.
Please send your questions, comments, or bug reports to the