Webmasters
• Christian Guestbooks
• Banner Exchange
• Dynamic Content

Subscribe to our Free Newsletter.
Enter your email address:

ChristiansUnite
Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 28, 2024, 07:56:55 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Our Lord Jesus Christ loves you.
286808 Posts in 27568 Topics by 3790 Members
Latest Member: Goodwin
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  ChristiansUnite Forums
|-+  Theology
| |-+  General Theology (Moderator: admin)
| | |-+  Long Hair. 1Cor.11:1-16
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Long Hair. 1Cor.11:1-16  (Read 6997 times)
bluelake

I'm a llama!

View Profile
« on: October 28, 2004, 11:50:29 PM »

There is much disagreement with the long and short of it. Smiley
I think that it is a cultural issue, but I would like to know your opinion. Should women wear their hair long? Some go as far as to say that a women shouldn't cut her hair at all.
Any comments?

Blessings in His name,
bluelake
Soldier4Christ
Global Moderator
Gold Member

One Nation Under God

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2004, 12:08:31 AM »

This is what the Bible says about it:

1Co 11:14  Doth not even nature itself teach you, that, if a man have long hair, it is a shame unto him?
1Co 11:15  But if a woman have long hair, it is a glory to her: for her hair is given her for a covering.
1Co 11:16  But if any man seem to be contentious, we have no such custom, neither the churches of God.

1Ti 2:9  In like manner also, that women adorn themselves in modest apparel, with shamefacedness and sobriety; not with broided hair, or gold, or pearls, or costly array;

1Pe 3:3  Whose adorning let it not be that outward adorning of plaiting the hair, and of wearing of gold, or of putting on of apparel;

Joh 9:4  I must work the works of him that sent me, while it is day: the night cometh, when no man can work.
freefromsin

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2004, 12:51:40 AM »

Men should have short hair.  The pictures of Jesus are incorrect in my mind when they show him with shoulder length hair.  The Roman Leaders of Jesus day had hair over there ears and people following what they did as the people thought they were gods.  So I am all for short hair.

The long hair for sisters.  If a womens hair is her glory and given to her for a covering I would say she shouldn't cut her glory off.

Visit Church of God, Holiness Articles, Internet Radio & Gospel Trumpet magizine.
Bronzesnake
« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2004, 10:17:03 AM »

Men should have short hair.  The pictures of Jesus are incorrect in my mind when they show him with shoulder length hair.  The Roman Leaders of Jesus day had hair over there ears and people following what they did as the people thought they were gods.  So I am all for short hair.

The long hair for sisters.  If a womens hair is her glory and given to her for a covering I would say she shouldn't cut her glory off.

What about Samson?

When Jesus walked the earth, long hair was common and accepted by Jews. However, men would wear their hair "short" by braiding it at the back.

Bronzesnake
Brother Love
Gold Member

"FAITH ALONE IN CHRIST ALONE"

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2004, 01:30:50 PM »

I have been a longhair for 40 years Grin

<Smiley))><

THINGS THAT DIFFER By C.R. Stam
Read it on line for "FREE"

http://www.geocities.com/protestantscot/ttd/ttd_chap1.html

<Smiley))><
Soldier4Christ
Global Moderator
Gold Member

One Nation Under God

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2004, 01:47:32 PM »

<Smiley))><

Amen, Brother. I have been a short hair for 54 years.

Most people that approach this subject over look the verse:

1Co 11:16  But if any man seem to be contentious, we have no such custom, neither the churches of God.

Joh 9:4  I must work the works of him that sent me, while it is day: the night cometh, when no man can work.
bluelake

I'm a llama!

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 30, 2004, 12:19:38 AM »

This is what the Bible says about it:

1Co 11:14  Doth not even nature itself teach you, that, if a man have long hair, it is a shame unto him?
1Co 11:15  But if a woman have long hair, it is a glory to her: for her hair is given her for a covering.

1Ti 2:9  In like manner also, that women adorn themselves in modest apparel, with shamefacedness and sobriety; not with broided hair, or gold, or pearls, or costly array;

1Pe 3:3  Whose adorning let it not be that outward adorning of plaiting the hair, and of wearing of gold, or of putting on of apparel;

Thank you all for your responses.
1Tim 2:9 first mentions modest apprarel. I agree. Smiley
1Pet.3:3 first mentions outward adorning. Both passages also talk about braiding the hair. If a person were to follow this reasoning, that would mean a women shouldn't braid her hair.
My view is that a women shouldn't depend on her outward appearance, but a meek and quiet spirit that comes from the inside. God looks on the heart of man, not the outward appearance.. it doesn't forbid the wearing jewlery or grooming.

1Cor.11 doesn't mention cutting the hair, only that it should be long.

Blessings,
bluelake

Shylynne
Gold Member

Oh that I might kiss the feet of God!

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 30, 2004, 08:25:10 AM »

1Cor.11:1-16? The long and short of it is you must look for the who what when where and why to have any true understanding of what you are reading.  This passage is not about HAIR.

“Christianity isn't all that complicated … it's Jesus.”   — Joni Eareckson Tada

There is no force on earth as powerful as one human soul set ablaze with the Spirit of God -  Shylynne
Soldier4Christ
Global Moderator
Gold Member

One Nation Under God

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 30, 2004, 08:49:46 AM »

1Cor.11:1-16? The long and short of it is you must look for the who what when where and why to have any true understanding of what you are reading.  This passage is not about HAIR.

You are correct. The mention of hair in the verses is not the the intent of the overall idea behind what he talking about here.

To fully understand what this is all about you must go back and read the previous chapters. This was about certain women in that group that had acted like the pagan priestesses and prophetesses, acting like men, and started praying and prophesying like a man. It is about the difference in the place of men and women in the church.

Shylynne
Gold Member

Oh that I might kiss the feet of God!

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 30, 2004, 09:00:26 AM »

so glad I wont have to scalp you Pastor Roger  Grin

“Christianity isn't all that complicated … it's Jesus.”   — Joni Eareckson Tada

There is no force on earth as powerful as one human soul set ablaze with the Spirit of God -  Shylynne
Brother Love
Gold Member

"FAITH ALONE IN CHRIST ALONE"

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 30, 2004, 09:20:31 AM »

You are correct. The mention of hair in the verses is not the the intent of the overall idea behind what he talking about here.

To fully understand what this is all about you must go back and read the previous chapters. This was about certain women in that group that had acted like the pagan priestesses and prophetesses, acting like men, and started praying and prophesying like a man. It is about the difference in the place of men and women in the church.

Right On Pastor

THINGS THAT DIFFER By C.R. Stam
Read it on line for "FREE"

http://www.geocities.com/protestantscot/ttd/ttd_chap1.html

<Smiley))><
bluelake

I'm a llama!

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 30, 2004, 10:07:36 PM »

<Smiley))><

Verse16, The key word, custom.. Have our customs changed since the early church?
Most people overlook Commentaries. Smiley

Blessings,
bluelake

Soldier4Christ
Global Moderator
Gold Member

One Nation Under God

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 30, 2004, 11:52:46 PM »

<Smiley))><

Verse16, The key word, custom.. Have our customs changed since the early church?
Most people overlook Commentaries. Smiley

Blessings,
bluelake

Actually it doesn't matter if the customs have changed or not. The verse says "we have NO such custom, neither the churches of God."  

bluelake

I'm a llama!

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 01, 2004, 12:13:45 AM »

The definition of the word 'custom' " a usual practice, habit. social convention carried on by tradition."
Are you saying that we should be dressing as they did in the early church? Are women in your church braiding their hair? that is forbbiden if we were to follow your interpretation .

Blessings,
bluelake
Bronzesnake
« Reply #14 on: November 01, 2004, 01:27:54 AM »

First, I was a short hair. Then I was a long hair. Now I am a short hair again. I am contemplating becoming a long hair once more......nah!

Bronzesnake
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

More From ChristiansUnite...    About Us | Privacy Policy | | ChristiansUnite.com Site Map | Statement of Beliefs

Copyright © 1999-2019 ChristiansUnite.com. All rights reserved.
Please send your questions, comments, or bug reports to the