Webmasters
• Christian Guestbooks
• Banner Exchange
• Dynamic Content

Subscribe to our Free Newsletter.
Enter your email address:

ChristiansUnite
Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 24, 2024, 10:19:25 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Our Lord Jesus Christ loves you.
286804 Posts in 27568 Topics by 3790 Members
Latest Member: Goodwin
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  ChristiansUnite Forums
|-+  Entertainment
| |-+  Music (Moderator: admin)
| | |-+  Christian Goth
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Christian Goth  (Read 13144 times)
Bern

I don't think I'm a llama...

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: November 30, 2004, 07:41:18 AM »

As you say, its the heart attitude that is important. I had a big problem with music as an idol in my life, and all the culture that went along with it. I was especially attracted to heavy metal, or generally any heavy music with a lot of attitude. What you devote your time to affects you profoundly, just as your peers affect you. If something becomes more important to you than obeying Christ then there is a problem.

This applies to what you think about and dwell on, what you devote your time and energy to. If something promotes ungodly attitudes or interests then it is best to avoid it. I'm not saying that goths necessarily come into this category, because I dont know enough about them to comment.
What I do know however is that the human heart will try to find any conceivable way of excusing our sin, and allowing it to exist within our relationship with Christ. If you find that you are repeatedly sinning in the same ways and asking forgiveness, then repeating the same process endlessly, it is often a  good idea to look at what you are feeding your mind and soul with.

Luke 6:45  A good man out of the good treasure of his heart bringeth forth that which is good; and an evil man out of the evil treasure of his heart bringeth forth that which is evil: for of the abundance of the heart his mouth speaketh.

Philippians 4:8  Finally, brethren, whatsoever things are true, whatsoever things are honest, whatsoever things are just, whatsoever things are pure, whatsoever things are lovely, whatsoever things are of good report; if there be any virtue, and if there be any praise, think on these things.

I know this was perhaps straying from the topic a little.. but I think its relevant. I see this kind of thing a lot in young Christians who want to know if their lifestyle is wrong or not. The best guide for that is to read the Word with an open mind, not with a closed mind, using it to back up what you have decided you want to believe. Smiley God give us all the grace to do that. Smiley

Romans 8:28  And we know that all things work together for good to them that love God, to them who are the called according to his purpose.
daywalker66

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 23, 2009, 01:27:15 PM »

For the one who says they don't think there is any such thing as a True Christian Goth, that comes as a surprise to me since I was baptized a few months back, attend chruch somewhat regularly, and am a very christian person.  I occasionally wear a pentagram, but did you know that pentagrapms have many meanings, including the crucifixion and also warding off of demons and evil spirit influence? 

I hate evil, I hate Satanic themes.  But I do try to live up to the baptismal committment. 
Soldier4Christ
Global Moderator
Gold Member

One Nation Under God

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 23, 2009, 02:36:17 PM »

Hello daywalker66,

Welcome to ChristiansUnite forums.

What are most symbols? For the most part they are something that man has come up with to signify different things and as you said some of them can signify different things to different people. We even have some that God has given to mankind such as the rainbow that now has been assigned a different meaning by people.

The only thing that concerns me is what these sort of things might do to our witness to others. It is also a concern in just how we use these symbols. Give the pentagram you mentioned as an example. A basic pentagram is nothing more than a 5 pointed star. This symbol though is given with varying other symbols in conjunction with it that can make it mean some different than just a star. Using those such as the upside down star with a goats head in it or the star with a circle around it can give it a specific meaning that can destroy our witness completely. It is such that we as Christians should avoid as it can erroneously connect us to that which is evil.

However I disagree with you that things such as these or even the crucifix having the power to ward off demons or evil spirits. Symbols are just that they symbols. Something that may or may not represent a certain meaning. This are simply things. The power over evil is not in them but rather in the power of Jesus Christ our very Lord and Saviour. It is He and He alone that overcame evil.

Joh 9:4  I must work the works of him that sent me, while it is day: the night cometh, when no man can work.
nChrist
Global Moderator
Gold Member

May God Lead And Guide Us All

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 23, 2009, 05:42:33 PM »

Hello daywalker66,

WELCOME!

First, I agree with what Pastor Roger told you. I don't know or understand the lifestyle and statements of goth, but I do understand what should be the lifestyle and statements of a Christian. When and if there are conflicts, they should be resolved in favor of God and God's Glory - not ourselves or man. We each have to determine the priorities in our lives. For Christians, our priority is Jesus Christ.

psalms150

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 27, 2010, 05:28:03 PM »

Jesus meets us where we are. If Goth is where you are at right now, He'll meet you there but we cannot allow goth or anything else to come before our love of Jesus.

That said... we all have things of this world we are attached to in some way or another. Some of those things are obviously things we would consider bad, but some of those things may even be things we consider good. Yet even every good thing is not the right thing.

For example going to the beach enjoying the beauty of the ocean and the shore is a good thing but if we do it everyday and neglect going to work.... a good thing can quickly become something that caused bad or negative consequences in our life like neglecting responsibilities, not putting first things first.

When we come to Jesus, we put Him first in our life, to the extent that we understand what that means at that particular time, which is usually not too much.

When we are first Saved, some of the bad things fall away immediately, others over time but in either case it is easy to identify those bad things as hindrances to our Christian walk. 

But.... the things that are neither bad or good are not so clearly identified as hindrances...yet many of those things can be hindrances.
By the leading of the Holy Spirit each of us over time begin to identify things we can learn to do without which at one time we couldn't even imagine doing without.

Those things include our affiliation with a particular group, particular cliques, particular fads, particular people, particular styles of clothing and yes ....particular styles of music.

We all have our likes and dislikes when it comes to music and styles of dress but as we grow in the Lord and His Presence is magnified in our hearts and minds our identification with those things become less and less intense and those things begin to hold less of a central importance in our lives and the overall scheme of things 

Long story short...goth today but tomorrow who knows, you might hear a country and western style praise song that you really love! In Christ I am never surprised but always mindful of what I have been able to experience and enjoy for in Him all things are possible!  Smiley
Pages: 1 [2] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

More From ChristiansUnite...    About Us | Privacy Policy | | ChristiansUnite.com Site Map | Statement of Beliefs

Copyright © 1999-2019 ChristiansUnite.com. All rights reserved.
Please send your questions, comments, or bug reports to the