Webmasters
• Christian Guestbooks
• Banner Exchange
• Dynamic Content

Subscribe to our Free Newsletter.
Enter your email address:

ChristiansUnite
Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 27, 2024, 03:54:40 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Our Lord Jesus Christ loves you.
286807 Posts in 27568 Topics by 3790 Members
Latest Member: Goodwin
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  ChristiansUnite Forums
|-+  Theology
| |-+  Bible Study (Moderator: admin)
| | |-+  Word For You Today Daily Devotional
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Word For You Today Daily Devotional  (Read 10436 times)
Philippians 4:13

"A live dog is better then a dead lion." (Ecc 9:4)

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: November 06, 2004, 03:02:43 AM »

"SPEAKING TO YOURSELVES INPSALMS...HYMNS...SPIRITUAL SONGS...MAKING MELODY IN YOUR HEART.'   EPHESIANS 5:19

How to speak to yourself

What others say about you isn't nearly as important as what you say to yourself after they've stopped talking! That's why when you go through tough times, you must learn how to speak to yourself. Paul says we do this through:

(1) Psalms. Just as, "Deep calleth unto deep" (Ps. 42:7), Psalms encourage the kind of intimacy that creeps out of your spirit and into your worship. Often we lack that kind of closeness because we're more in love with God's work then we are with God.

(2) Hymns. The word hymn comes from the word hymen, which is the tough membrane sealing the entrance to the womb. Hymns help you to break through the hard outer shell of flesh and into the place where God's comforting Sprit dwells.

(3) Spiritual Songs. These songs can't be rehearsed or written down, they're born out of the spontaneity of that special moment when your heart overflows with love for God.

(4) Making melody in your heart. This has nothing to do with musical abilities; you can have a singing heart even with your lips closed. This melody makes your eyes twinkle and your smile sparkle because it comes from the very depths of your being. Adversity may take everything you've got, but never let it take your singing heart. With that, you can go through hell and high water and come out on top. Right now it might be midnight in your Philippian jail cell, but with a singing heart you can break out and break through to victory![/font]

[shadow=slategray,left,down]"I would rather live my life as if there is a God, And die to find there isn't, Than live my life as if there isn't, And die to find out there is."[/shadow]  

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: November 07, 2004, 02:57:52 AM »

"IF ANYONE WOULD COME AFTER ME, HE MUST DENY HIMSELF...TAKE UP HIS CROSS AND FOLLOW ME."  MATTHEW 16:24 NIV

Discipleship!

If you're serious about discipleship, here are three (3) requirements:

(1) Deny yourself. James and John coveted the limelight. They told Jesus, "We want to sit in...honor next to you" (Mk 10:37 NLT). One of your greatest challenges will be to resist promoting yourself and trying to succeed on your own -- then asking God to bless your efforts. God's not interested in second-hand glory. He wants the credit for what He (not you) accomlishes in your life.

(2) Take up your cross. Nobody goes directly from denying themselves to following Jesus. First we go through crucifying experiences. Paul says, "I die daily" (1Co 15:31). Certain things in your life can be handled only one way -- dying to them. Listen: "Count yourselves dead to sin but alive to God" (Ro 6:11 NIV). Jesus didn't even talk about the cross to his disciples, until He knew they understood this principle. Why? Because until you do, you'll never see the cross as a plus.

(3) Follow Him. Too often we take God's presence for granted because He said He'd never leave us. But he also said: "You didn't choose me...I chose you" (Jn 15:16 TM). It's not God's job to follow you, it's your job to follow Him! When you do it'll cost you, change you, and challenge you. Sometimes you'll go through valleys, other times you'll stand with Him on the mountaintop. You must be willing to follow Him anywhere, any time, under any conditions -- that's the deal! Still want to be a disciple of Jesus?[/font]

[shadow=slategray,left,down]"I would rather live my life as if there is a God, And die to find there isn't, Than live my life as if there isn't, And die to find out there is."[/shadow]  

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: November 08, 2004, 04:40:16 AM »

"THE GOD OF HEAVEN WILL GIVE US SUCCESS."  NEMEMIAH 2:20 NIV

Tips for leaders

Within two (2) years NFL Football coach Bill Walsh transformed the San Francisco 49'ers from a doormat into a dynasty of champions. Notice his formula:

(1) Resist the urge to clean house. Instead, re-evaluate what you've got! The person you need may be at your fingertips, unnoticed, or stuck in the wrong slot. Joe Montana was a third-round draft pick, small and inconsistent. But Walsh saw his potential when he rallied Notre Dame to win the 1979 Cotton Bowl. Walsh's theory: "One miracle can become a life-skill with mentoring, encouragement and practice." Solomon said: "Give instruction to a wise man and he will be yet wiser" (Pr 9:9).

(2) Take immediate responsibility. People will follow you anywhere if they're convinced you know where you're going. That means having a plan that's known and owned by all. Why do we avoid having a plan? Because it requires discipline, accountability and sacrifice. Ultimately it's the standard by which we're measured; plus, it involves the risk of failing. Yet, without a plan how can you succeed?

(3) Offer incentives. People seldom buy something for the reason you sell it. They buy it for what it'll do for them. When David asked what the rewards were for killing Goliath, he was told he'd never have to pay taxes again and get to marry the king's daughter. Now, that's incentive! We were all created with a desire for increase; decrease is unnatural. There's a God-given command inside each of us to "multiply" (See Ge 1:28). Honor it, and everyody wins![/font]

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: November 09, 2004, 03:23:54 AM »

"LET US RUN WITH PERSEVERANCE THE RACE MARKED OUT FOR US."  HEBREWS 12:1 NIV

Persevere!

Jesse Owens set his first world record in high school. In college he set three world records in less than an hour. In 1936, he showed his character at the Olympics in Nazi Germany. As Hitler watched, he set three more world records and won four gold medals. Losing to a black man was more than the racist dictator could stand, so he stormed out of the stadium.

Later, Jese Owens wrote: "There is something that can happen to every athlete and every human being; the instinct to slack off, to give in to pain, to give less than your best; the instinct to hope you can win through luck or through your opponent not doing his best, instead of going to the limit and past your limit where victory is always found. Defeating those negative instincts that are out to defeat us, is the difference between winning and losing -- and we all face that battle every day."

Persistance is based on character, and character does what's right -- not what's easy. It's controlled by values -- not moods. It looks for solutions -- not excuses. Kipling wrote, "If you don't get what you want, it's a sign you didn't want it seriously enough, or that you quibbled too long over the price." How badly do you want to fulfill God's purpose for your life? It'll take passion on your part to do it, because passion is what feeds persistance. So the word for you today is, "run with perseverance the race marked out!"[/font]

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: November 10, 2004, 05:45:18 AM »

"BROTHERS AND SISTERS THINK ABOUT THE THINGS THAT ARE GOOD AND WORTHY OF PRAISE."  PHILIPPIANS 4:8 NCV

Are you a perfectionist?

Have you ever met a perfectionist who was truly happy? Probably not! Whenever things must always be a certain way, life can make you pretty miserable because life constantly changes. Instead of being grateful for their blessings, perfectionists tend to focus on what's wrong, and their need to fix it. It could be a disorganized closet, a dent in their car, a job they did that was less than perfect, or a few pounds they'd like to lose.

Or it could be someone else's imperfections: they way they look, the way they behave, or the way they live their lives. The very fact that perfectionists constantly dwell on flaws, makes it impossible for them to be grateful -- for gratitude is at the core of happiness!

This has nothing to do with striving to do better; it has to do with fixating on what's wrong! Sure there's always a better way to do something, but that doesn't mean you can't enjoy life the way it is at the moment.

"What's the cure for perfectionism?" you ask. Catch yourself before you fall into your habit of insisting that things should be different than the way they are. Gently remind yourself that life is okay, and that -- in the absence of your judgement -- everything will work out fine. Why? Because God's in control! Start dealing with your need for perfection by developing an attitude of trust and gratitude. When you do, you'll begin to discover how wonderful life really is![/font]

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: November 11, 2004, 03:26:26 AM »

"GOD...BREATHED...THE BREATH OF LIFE; AND...MAN BECAME A LIVING BEING."  GENESIS 2:7 NRS

"The breath of life"

In Genesis we read: "God...breathed...the breath of life; and...man became a living being." Until then we were just inanimate chunks of clay in human form. But at that point God gave each of us two (2) things:

(1) Freedom to choose. The breath of God empowered us to make the right choices and act on them. But even though God's given us that ability, don't try to go it alone. Jesus said: "What is born of the physical is physical; and what is born of the Spirit is spirit" (Jn 3:6 AMP). Always depend on the Holy Spirit. He's called "The Helper" and "The Comforter" for a reason! Jesus promises His desciples: "You shall receive power  [strategies, solutions, and strength]  when the Holy Spirit has come upon you" (See Acts 1:8 AMP). Don't try it on your own!

(2) Imagination. This is the gift that distinguishes us from all other living creatures. It's what makes us capable of building sky-scrapers, exploring space, inventing life-saving devices, and worshipping our Creator. But even though God gives you a concept, you must work to make it a reality. Furthermore, God said: "The world and all that is in it is mine" (Ps 50:12 NRS). That means when you get ready to build but you've only got a few bricks, you can ask Him for more -- and get them. It also means that instead of complaining about what you don't have, you need to take a long hard look at what you do, and what you can make of it with His help![/font]

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: November 12, 2004, 01:47:04 AM »

"BY HIM ALL THINGS WERE CREATED."  COLOSSIANS 1:16 NKJV

Release your creativity

You are the offspring of a very creative God. The Bible says: "By Him all things were created." It also says: "We have the mind of Christ" (1Co 2:16 NKJV). That means you were born with creativity! But how can you discover and release your creativity?

Solomon says: "Where there is no vision the people perish" (Pr 29:18). Every great accomplishment begins as a vision of what can be. And the remarkable thing is, a vision has the power to fuel its own fire. Often a "genius" is just somebody who shoots at a target nobody else sees -- and hits it. Although we've all been warned about crossing bridges before we get to them, the prize belongs to those who cross bridges in their mind ahead of everybody else. Woodrow Wilson said, "The man who sees no vision, will undertake no great enterprise."

Others might be smarter, more educated and more experienced, but they don't have a monopoly on ideas. Chances are, there's a creative idea inside you right now just waiting to be released. By not tapping into it you're settling for less than God wants you to have.

So whatever you've always wanted to do, write, paint, play the piano, build a business, nurse, teach, pastor, do it now! If you wait until you can do it perfectly you'll never start. Walking on water begins with one step. It also brings you closer to Jesus than staying in the boat. Jesus isn't in the boat -- He's out on the water saying: "Come." Why don't you obey Him today and see what happens?![/font]

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: November 13, 2004, 04:20:06 AM »

"WISDOM MAKES ONE WISE MAN MORE POWERFUL THAN TEN RULERS."  ECCLESIASTES 7:19 NIV

The power of an idea

In his book, Thinking for a Change, John Maxwell says, "The right thought, plus the right people, in the right enviornment, at the right time, for the right reason, always produces the right result." Let's examine those words:

(1) The right thought. Thinking produces ideas and ideas have power. But every idea begins as a "seed thought" -- you have to nurture it!

(2) The right people. Every time you expose the right idea to the right people, incredible things happen. In their company it blossoms and becomes infused with possibility.

(3) The right enviornment. In the right enviornment thinking is valued, ideas flow freely, fresh eyes are welcome, change is expected, questions are encouraged, egos are checked, ideas stimulate better ideas, and thinking generates teamwork.

(4) The right time. The Emperor Hadrian said, "To be right too soon, is to be wrong." While still in the stretching stage of an idea, present it without expectations, time frames or rigidly defined goals. Why? Because if you try to implement your ideas too early they may not survive.

(5)  The right reason. J.P Morgan said, "A man always has two reasons for doing anything: a good reason and the real reason." Motives matter. Selfish motives disqualify us; God only gets behind ideas that fulfill His purpose and demonstrate that we care for others.

Sometimes an idea becomes great when it partners with another one; other times it excels just as it is. One thing's for sure: as you stretch your thinking, you'll discover that your thinking is stretching you.[/font]

Shammu
Global Moderator
Gold Member

B(asic) I(nstructions) B(efore) L(eaving) E(arth)

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: November 13, 2004, 02:12:41 PM »

BUMP

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: November 14, 2004, 04:19:43 AM »

"LIVE...NOT AS THOSE WHO DO NOT KNOW THE MEANING OF LIFE."  EPHESIANS 5:15 PHPS

Take a break!

If the light on your inner dashboard is flashing red, you're probably carrying too much, too far, too fast. If you don't pull over you'll be sorry; so will those who love you. If, on the other hand, you've the courage to make some changes, you'll be well rewarded. But be warned, there are three (3) challenges you'll face when you do.

First, you'll experience false guilt. By saying no to those you've always said yes to, you'll feel a twinge of guilt. Ignore it -- it's false guilt! It's based on wrong thinking and screwed-up values. Retune your conscience to God's Word, and to His priorities for your life.

Second, you'll face misunderstanding. Maybe even hostility. Certain people won't understand your adjusted pace, particularly those who are still in the sinking boat you just stepped out of. Stick to your guns. In time, the people who matter most will see the wisdom of what you're doing. Hey, some of them may even decide to follow you!

Third, you'll get some painful insights. By not filling every moment with activity you'll begin to see the real you -- and you might not like it. Activity can be a great place to hide. But if you stay with it, you'll eventually turn the corner and be on your road to a happier, freer life. Your goal should be to fulfill your destiny, and in the process, stay in balance, in good health, and in God's will![/font]

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: November 15, 2004, 02:59:38 AM »

"AVOID EVIL AND WALK STRAIGHT AHEAD."  PROVERBS 4:27 TEV

Strive for integrity

Nothing, absolutely nothing, is more important to your future than personal integrity. Webster defines it in one word -- honesty! And you can only hide your lack of it for so long. Eventually, like a faulty foundation in a storm, the cracks will widen, the roof will fall in, and everything you've worked for will be lost. And "getting away with it" can be worse than getting caught, because it encourages you to believe that you can keep living at two levels. Listen: "Like a partridge that hatches eggs it did not lay, is a man who gains riches by unjust means...in the end he will prove to be a fool" (Jer 17:11 NIV).

Don't think that you can do whatever you want in small things and be okay as long as you've no major lapses. It's your first lie that makes you a liar! And whether you steal one dollar or one million, you're still a thief. Phillips Brooks says, "Character is made in the small moments of our lives." Integrity always puts character over personal gain, people over things, service over power, principle over convenience, and the long view over the immediate.

Every time you break a moral principle it becomes harder, not easier, to act with integrity. Everything you've done in the past, including the things you've neglected to do, comes to a head when you're under pressure. That's why developing and maintaining integrity requires constant vigilance and discipline. John Weston says, "Live by the following rule; don't do anything you wouldn't feel comfortable reading about in tomorrow's newspaper."[/font]

View Profile WWW
« Reply #26 on: November 16, 2004, 02:54:21 AM »

"THEY WERE ASTONISHED"  ACTS 12:16 NIV

Prayer will open the door

Peter had been arrested and slated to spend the next several days in jail before losing his head. Sixteen soldiers were assigned to guard him. The evening before his scheduled execution the believers held an all night prayer vigil. Suddenly an angel appeared in Peter's cell and said, "Quick, get up" (Acts 12:17 NIV), and his chains fell off. Peter followed him out of prison but had no idea that what the angel was doing was actually happening; he thought he was seeing a vision.

They passed the first and second guards and came to the big iron gate leading to the city; it opened by itself and they went through it. After they'd walked the length of the street the angel suddenly disappeared. Baffled, Peter looked around him. Was this for real? When the truth dawned on him, he made a beeline for the gathered believers.

A servant girl answered his knock. Hearing Peter's voice she ran back to tell the others that their prayers had been answered. "You're out of your mind" (Acts 12:15 NIV), they told her. The Bible says that when they opened the door and saw him, "They were astonished." Wow! After prayeing all night, these Spirit-filled stalwarts were astonished when God actually answered their prayer. They were no more inclined then we are to think that God would miraculously intervene, but they prayed anyway and God rewarded their weak incomplete faith. What's the point? Simply this: though your faith is weak and your doubts real, if you'll just keep praying and standing on His Word, God will answer and open doors for you too![/font]

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27 on: November 17, 2004, 04:21:15 AM »

"BEING FULLY PERSUADED THAT GOD HAD POWER TO DO WHAT HE HAD PROMISED"  ROMANS 4:21 NIV

God is able!

Why don't we turn to God in prayer more often? Because at some basic and perhaps unconcious level, we're not "fully presuaded" that He's able to do anything about it. Being able to admit that to God and ourselves is humbling. It's also the point at which we begin to overcome our doubts, our self-sufficiency and our lack of confidence in God. Nothing changes until we can pray, "Lord, help me. I say things with my lips, I don't allow to govern my life." Once we can speak those words with conviction, we're ready to begin walking through our Bible, rediscovering that, "God is able." Able to deliver from fiery furnaces of adversity (Da 3:17). Able to give a child to a ninety (90) year-old woman (See Ro 4:18). "Able to do immeasurably more than all we ask" (Eph 3:20). Whatever it takes for you to own the words, "God is able," do it, because until you do you'll be a faint-hearted pray-er. You'll make a few wishes on your knees, but you won't be able to perservere in prayer until you know in your heart of hearts that God is able -- and that He's willing.

God is capable of handling anything you bring to Him. Creating planets is no problem for Him; neither is taking the little you've got and making it go a long way. Nothing is too difficult for Him -- He's just waiting for you to recognize that, then come to Him in faith, asking for His help.[/font]

View Profile WWW
« Reply #28 on: November 18, 2004, 05:47:04 AM »

"I AM YOUR CREATOR. YOU WERE IN MY CARE EVEN BEFORE YOU WERE BORN."  ISIAH 44:2 CEV

Needed- a sense of value

Adam had a relationship with God before he had one with Eve. Why? Because nobody but God can tell who you are and what you're worth! Until you know that, you won't know whether you're in love -- or in need. You'll keep looking for somebody to love you so much that you'll finally start feeling good about yourself. The trouble is, when you find that person you'll cling to them like a vine. You'll agree with all their opinions and have none of your own. You'll try to meet their every need and make yourself indispensable. And you'll feel threatened if they can do anything without you. When they enjoy somebody else's company you'll panic and say, "All I need is you, how come you don't feel the same way?" No human relationship can sustain such a load.

Adam learned to relate to Eve -- only after he'd learned to relate to God. It's in God's presence, free from the demands of others, that you begin to look at yourself in the right mirror. It's there you prepare the gift to be given. But something has changed -- now you know how much the gift is worth, and you'll give it only to someone who places the same value on it. God has always wanted the best for you; He's just waiting for you to come into agreement with Him. Listen: "I am your Creator. You were in my care even before you were born."[/font]

View Profile WWW
« Reply #29 on: November 19, 2004, 03:04:01 AM »

"LOVE COVERS A MULTITUDE OF SINS."  1 PETER 4:8 NIV

Wisdom for single parents

If you're raising children alone, teach them these principles. As you do, they'll be reinforced in you. You'd be surprised how many instructors learn while they teach.

First, teach them to accept change. When we get stuck in the past, it's always at the expense of the future. After the initial shock is over and the anger has dissipated, step over your depression and start making plans. Announce to your heart that you're going to live again. Don't get stuck in a stage that was just meant to be a part of the process. This too shall pass. Let it!

Second, teach them that failure doesn't prevent success. We're fueled by the past, but fuel only works when it's combusted into another form. Allow the pain of your past to fuel your future with wisdom and compassion. Some of the most succesful people you know have experienced failure. This year's winner was last year's runner up. Learn more from your mistakes. Seize the day! Once you do that, anything is possible.

Third, teach them to love imperfect peple. Tell your children that love is a risk, but it's worth taking. Hearing you say that will help them not to become cynical. Explain that when we love people, we must love what's good and accept what's still under construction. It'll save them untold heartache if you teach them that all of us will disappoint each other, and that God's remedy for this is -- "love covers a multitude of sins." (1Pe 4:Cool.[/font]

Pages: 1 [2] 3 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

More From ChristiansUnite...    About Us | Privacy Policy | | ChristiansUnite.com Site Map | Statement of Beliefs

Copyright © 1999-2019 ChristiansUnite.com. All rights reserved.
Please send your questions, comments, or bug reports to the