Webmasters
• Christian Guestbooks
• Banner Exchange
• Dynamic Content

Subscribe to our Free Newsletter.
Enter your email address:

ChristiansUnite
Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 25, 2024, 11:22:21 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Our Lord Jesus Christ loves you.
286805 Posts in 27568 Topics by 3790 Members
Latest Member: Goodwin
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  ChristiansUnite Forums
|-+  Theology
| |-+  Debate (Moderator: admin)
| | |-+  Touchy, Feely, Feel-Good Sermons
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Touchy, Feely, Feel-Good Sermons  (Read 2342 times)
Brother Love
Gold Member

"FAITH ALONE IN CHRIST ALONE"

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: October 21, 2004, 04:02:45 AM »

Lets sing Just As I am, one more time

Lets sing Just As I am, one more time

THINGS THAT DIFFER By C.R. Stam
Read it on line for "FREE"

http://www.geocities.com/protestantscot/ttd/ttd_chap1.html

<Smiley))><
Shylynne
Gold Member

Oh that I might kiss the feet of God!

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 23, 2004, 10:27:32 PM »

Shylynne,
I'm sorry, but I did not exactly understand what you meant? I perhaps was becoming too opinionated or maybe unclear. I basically picture the "snot and slobber sessions" being sermons with lots of emotion and little else spoken, in which case I meant that Jesus doesn't seem to want us to do that. Man, I should have just written that earlier. Perhaps I'm still being unclea. Anyways, were you agreeing or being sarcastic or what? Sorry I can't get it on my own. Take Care.

-Aiden-

Please ignore symphony for telling you to ignore me...  Grin
but 2T...I would have said what he said, but hes always beating me too it!  Grin

I was being sarcastic...  Lips Sealed
You have no scriptural basis for saying "If I can't picture Jesus giving a snot and slobber session, then we shouldn't either."  If you are going to say someone shouldnt do something best have scripture to back it up!

Smiley

“Christianity isn't all that complicated … it's Jesus.”   — Joni Eareckson Tada

There is no force on earth as powerful as one human soul set ablaze with the Spirit of God -  Shylynne
Symphony
Gold Member

I'm a llama!

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 24, 2004, 08:18:08 PM »

Smiley
Raphu

Sojourner

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 25, 2004, 06:08:54 PM »

There has to be a balance of preaching law to the sinner and grace to the repentant.
The most effective preachers of the past, like Finney, didn't pull punches and preached hell fire to the sinner. Today, there is a tendancy to preach God's gift of eternal life as just another possession, such as that the rich young ruler sought.
There really is no such thing as "easy believeism", to coin an old Arthur Pink phrase, and the way of the cross is to follow after Jesus and share the brokenness that has to come into our lives as we share with the Lord in full communion.

Hosea 11:10  They shall walk after the LORD: he shall roar like a lion: when he shall roar, then the children shall tremble from the west.
Aiden

I seek Truth, I seek God.

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 25, 2004, 06:31:36 PM »

Shylynne,
Perhaps you are right, but I have yet to find a sermon or message preached in the Bible simply directed at people's emotions. Because of that absence amidst the multiple sermons, I think that most other Biblical characters did not preach "snot and slobber" or sugar-coated sessions. Not everything has to have an exact verse though. If the mind (meant in this case as reason) is not addressed as well as the heart (meant in this case as emotions) and vice versa, then I should think that we are not speaking the truth for the word of God pierces all areas. Needless to say, we do not find the Bible saying purely emotional messages are wrong, but neither does it say they are good. In which case, I feel it more consistent with scripture to not have pure emotion messages than it is to have them. Of course, I am always eager to hear the wisdom of other people, and if there are verses that speak about this then please tell me. The danger seems that balance is always needed in messages and pure intellectual sermons could be just as bad as pure emotional ones. And yes I just saw 2nd Tim's post and I do agree with him, I was talking about snot and slobber and no hard truth. I think this all miscommunication in my posts, but hopefully I'll get it. Take care.

-Aiden-
Pages: 1 [2] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

More From ChristiansUnite...    About Us | Privacy Policy | | ChristiansUnite.com Site Map | Statement of Beliefs

Copyright © 1999-2019 ChristiansUnite.com. All rights reserved.
Please send your questions, comments, or bug reports to the