Webmasters
• Christian Guestbooks
• Banner Exchange
• Dynamic Content

Subscribe to our Free Newsletter.
Enter your email address:

ChristiansUnite
Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 09:42:12 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Our Lord Jesus Christ loves you.
286776 Posts in 27568 Topics by 3790 Members
Latest Member: Goodwin
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  ChristiansUnite Forums
|-+  Fellowship
| |-+  Just For Women (Moderator: admin)
| | |-+  Mid-life Cries
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Mid-life Cries  (Read 7996 times)
IrishAngel
« on: April 13, 2003, 07:30:55 AM »

I just had  a birthday, and I'm not handling it very well!

My mind seems to function about the same. I'm even a little bit smarter, in spite of the memory loss. But what has happened to that handy rejuvenating process whereby cells renew themselves daily without being told? For example, why after years of normal growth do these troublesome rogue hairs the size of tree trunks grow straight out of my eyebrows? Plucking causes blood loss, and I'm beginning to look like Burl Ives. And what's with all those little creases that start forming around your eyes and mouth that keep on smiling after you've stopped? What lag in internal communication has caused this change?

I never really had a hint that I was "aging," as such, till I approached my 30th birthday. The realization finally started creeping up on me that Diet Coke was not the fountain of youth. After the sagging flesh and lovely purple stretch marks of childbirth, I felt I needed a bit of a boost to my femininity. So for my birthday, I decided to get my ears pierced in order to wear all those cute little delicate earrings that no one sees under long hair. The boost lasted about a week.

Now 40 is sneaking up on me in army boots. I have fearful visions of being asked for my senior citizen's card before its time. That would rank about as high as being asked when the baby is due, and my cryptic response is, "Eleven years ago!"

I mean, when does it happen? When do you grow old? Does it happen in the dead of night? Do you just wake up one morning feeling extremely wise, craving boiled eggs and Metamucil? Do you start feeling anxious about all the books on your shelves left to read and start cramming for the finals? When do you all of a sudden learn how to play bridge?

I think it's a stealth operation. Age is a terrorist that sneaks up behind you unawares and starts taking tiny nibbles out of your life force, one at a time. There you are 20 years of age minding your own business - busy being invincible and cultivating stupid habits that'll take a lifetime to break. Then all of a sudden you wake up one morning, and you're almost 40. The passage of time seems so inconsequential; you hardly even notice, until you receive promises of an AARP card in the mail. The shock finally registers that you've been had - you're a victim of the ravages of time and free radicals.

But it's not my fault. I didn't ask to be middle-aged with toenails that need to be cut with hedge clippers. Did I sign up somewhere for something so lovely and descriptive as liver spots?

I've decided it's my oldest son`s fault. After all, if he wasn't almost 20, then I wouldn't be almost 40. Or maybe it's my dad and mom's fault. If they had stayed in there 50's where they belonged, I'd still be in my 20's.

People of their generation didn't mind their 40's because they weren't spoiled like us baby boomers. They foolishly expected the passages of time and flowed gracefully from one stage to the next. My generation was raised on television. We aren't emotionally equipped to handle life without plastic surgery, airbrushed perfection, and everlasting reruns.

Well, I've got a year to think this over. I could live in denial from here on out - 39 forever. Or I could hold my breath till my face turned blue, but God's never been inclined to respond to temper tantrums. I guess I could try to accept the inevitable and enjoy the prospects of a quiet empty nest, grandchildren, and unsolicited help out to the car with my groceries. But I'm telling you right now; if I get a sudden urge to be a Wal-mart greeter, I'm marching right out and getting a membership to the fitness club.

TigerLily
Gold Member

Laugh often,long & loud.Laugh until you feel it!

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2003, 09:23:27 AM »

OK irish.. even tho ya knew i was sick ,, you had to post this, now , from loling so hard just picturing u say this i now feel even worse in the stomache LOl and i am blaming you so there HEHE Wink

anywho...... HILARIOUS. but dear Lord if that dont sound like where im quickly headed,, scarey Undecided

TL

Remember that tho the storms of life may rage & stir things up, cause chaos and at times many hurts, etc...In the end, It can unearth the most beautiful of treasure! Keep Holding on to Jesus thru the storm & He will indeed show you the beauty of life after its all settled & peaceful, Its His Plan!
Ambassador4Christ
Gold Member

Are You GOING TO HEAVEN?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2003, 09:53:37 AM »

Grin Grin Grin

Are You GOING TO HEAVEN?

http://forums.christiansunite.com/index.php?board=3;action=display;threadid=550

Galatians 4:16   Am I therefore become your enemy, because I tell you the truth?
Forrest
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2003, 04:03:39 PM »

TigerLily;
      Your headed? Your still young I'm 47 I'm right in the middle of it

Your Brother In Christ
          Forrest              
ROM 12:5 So we, [being] many, are one body in Christ, and every one members one of another.
TigerLily
Gold Member

Laugh often,long & loud.Laugh until you feel it!

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2003, 05:49:07 PM »

LOL forrest, yeah im headed.. just trying to get there with a smile  Grin
TL

Remember that tho the storms of life may rage & stir things up, cause chaos and at times many hurts, etc...In the end, It can unearth the most beautiful of treasure! Keep Holding on to Jesus thru the storm & He will indeed show you the beauty of life after its all settled & peaceful, Its His Plan!
IrishAngel
« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2003, 08:05:37 PM »

no worries tiger...givin another ten years you`ll be too far gone to know where you are  Tongue
goinhome
« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2003, 06:22:39 PM »

You know...I loved this. Even though it was humorous, there was a bit of painful truth for me as well. Gonna be 39 this year. know all about those lines started on the face.

This was really wonderful!
(Loved the walmart greeter reference Grin)
joyunending

He is Risen!

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 14, 2003, 10:03:42 PM »

Ah, come on you bunch of cry babies.!!  Where is your pioneer spirit.?
      I'm 55 for crying out loud, and you guys make it sound like i'm headn for the last round up!!
   Good grief people,  middle age is the time when your kids are grown and gone, your hubby and you have been married so long you finish each others sentences, and you actually enjoy each other!  
      You can keep the grandkids when you want , spoil the heck out of them and then send them back to mom and dad!!! Go to all the retreats that you couldn't go on when the kids were still at home.  
      Take time for yourself and your hubby to just sit back and enjoy the little things of life.  
    You have to live long enough to be a problem to your children, I call that 'payback'!(ha)
     The story is funny, and I have to admit that things don't work as well or as fast as they used to, but I also have to admit that I enjoy where I am now. And I am thankful that God has granted me these years to learn more about Him and to enjoy this beautiful earth He made for us!!! And thank Him for the health that He gave me to enjoy it...
    God bless, Joy

Love in Him,  Joy
IrishAngel
« Reply #8 on: April 15, 2003, 09:11:16 AM »

crybabies LOL Joy! I enjoy where i`m at right now too, n by time i`m the ripe old age of 55 i`m sure i`ll have adjusted  Wink  kiddin...i can`t hardly wait for the payback years, mine have been forwarned that when they grown up they are paying for a yearly spa getaway, hows that for payback LOL  
joyunending

He is Risen!

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 15, 2003, 12:11:59 PM »

Irish Angel,,,, My husband and I are trying to convince our kids that they promised us a paid vacation to Hawaii when they were young , but they aren't biting!!!!  
      It is true that you notice more aches and pains than you used to, but there is something about being 'older' that is really quite nice.  I know it does not automatically come with age, I know a lot of old people who are just that, old, but hopefully with age comes some wisdom. And you find out that you don't have to be in a hurry all the time.  
      Things that were of utmost importance when you were young, now seems soooo unimportant.  Family becomes dearer, and making sure that you 'tell' people how much you love them, NOW, before they or you depart is very important.
      You are more 'content' with your life and I find that I can't wait to see each day where the Lord is going to lead me!
       He never ceases to amaze me with what He has in store for me... My husband feels the same way.  It is a wonderful thing to have a husband that loves the Lord as much as you do.  We do all kinds of activities together with and for the church, and he always supports whatever it is that I feel God is urging me to do and I likewise with him...... It's a great life when God is at the center of it!!
         God bless, Joy

Love in Him,  Joy
goinhome
« Reply #10 on: April 15, 2003, 11:51:20 PM »

JOY...love your spirit sister Smiley

And Irish this reminds me of Erma Bombeck. The lady could make me laugh and cry. This is a good thing.
IrishAngel
« Reply #11 on: April 16, 2003, 05:42:54 PM »

Oh I agree so much with all that Joy, i`ve already reached the some things are soooo unimportant stage...take housework for instance...I just kept moving it down a peg on my list of priorities...till now...my list bottomed out! LOL...more content...more relaxed...hold on...I may be aging too fast  if I relate to what your saying this well lol...yes its a great life when God is in the center of it, and i`m sure a great life when we reach the center of it  Wink

I have read one of Erma`s books goinhome! The "Marriage Made in Heaven or Too Tired for an Affair?" one...she`s got a fantastic sence of humor!  Personally I believe we start dying the day we cease to see the humor in living!
joyunending

He is Risen!

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 16, 2003, 08:06:04 PM »

Irish Angel,,,, AMEN!!!! You have to laugh at life and enjoy it while you can,,,, the sad times come and cryin is a part of liven, but laughter can come after!!! God bless, Joy

Love in Him,  Joy
goinhome
« Reply #13 on: April 16, 2003, 08:22:57 PM »

Irish,

If you ever find Erma's book titled "Forever, Erma" you have to get it. As a wife and mother....this book will leave you in stitches, and it will bring on a few tears too.

JOY...thank you for your wisdom. Smiley
IrishAngel
« Reply #14 on: April 17, 2003, 09:45:02 AM »

Thanks, i`ll check for it at the library...they may ask me if i`m a new gal in town it`s been so long lol, but it would actually be nice to read a book again after all this time...be extending my arm n reaching for the mouse everytime i want to turn the page likely lol  Roll Eyes

Pages: [1] 2 3 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

More From ChristiansUnite...    About Us | Privacy Policy | | ChristiansUnite.com Site Map | Statement of Beliefs

Copyright © 1999-2019 ChristiansUnite.com. All rights reserved.
Please send your questions, comments, or bug reports to the