Webmasters
• Christian Guestbooks
• Banner Exchange
• Dynamic Content

Subscribe to our Free Newsletter.
Enter your email address:

ChristiansUnite
Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 26, 2024, 10:00:07 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Our Lord Jesus Christ loves you.
286806 Posts in 27568 Topics by 3790 Members
Latest Member: Goodwin
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  ChristiansUnite Forums
|-+  Theology
| |-+  Bible Study (Moderator: admin)
| | |-+  GRACE WALK - Weekly Devotional
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] Go Down Print
Author Topic: GRACE WALK - Weekly Devotional  (Read 18204 times)
Brother Love
Gold Member

"FAITH ALONE IN CHRIST ALONE"

View Profile
« Reply #75 on: December 13, 2004, 04:02:48 AM »

GRACE WALK - Weekly Devotional

What Do You See?

God seems to enjoy “show and tell.” He often will point to specific things in our daily lives and use them as an object lesson to communicate a truth to us. It happened in the Bible on numerous occasions.

God once asked Jeremiah, “What do you see?” The prophet answered, “I see a boiling pot.” God answered, “And that’s how evil is going to boil over on the inhabitants of the land” (Jeremiah 1:11). Another time, God said to him, “What do you see?” “I see figs,” Jeremiah answered, “good figs, very good, and bad figs, which cannot be eaten due to rottenness” (24:3). God went on to tell His prophet that those figs represented the way that He was going to work in the circumstances of His people.

Do you remember the time that God took Jeremiah to “the potter’s house” and spoke to him through the potter’s wheel? (See Jeremiah 18) Then there was the time that the Lord asked Amos what he saw when he was looking at a plumb line. (See Amos 7:Cool The Lord went on to show Amos His plans through what he saw. And then there was Zechariah. The Lord showed him a lamp stand and went on to explain how it showed that it is “not by might, nor by power, but by My Spirit, says the Lord of hosts” (Zechariah 4:2-6).

What do you see as you move through your day? You probably have experienced your Father speaking to you through the Bible many times, but have you heard Him speak to you through the day to day activities of your life? The world is His pulpit and He will speak to you in many ways, if your heart and eyes are open.

May our eyes be opened to see Him in the details of our work days, in the specifics of our leisure time, in all the circumstances of our lives. Without a doubt, your Father has some things He wants to show you and teach you. What do you see? May He open our eyes and ears so that we don’t miss a thing He wants to show us!

Steve McVey is the President of Grace Walk Ministries, a discipleship ministry located in Atlanta, GA. If you have been sent this devotional by a friend and want to know more about Grace Walk Ministries, visit our web site at www.gracewalk.org.

This devotional may be duplicated if printed with no changes in its entirety and with the following acknowledgment: “Copyright, 2004,used by permission. Steve McVey, Grace Walk Ministries, www.gracewalk.org

2 Tim 2:15  Study to show thyself approved unto God, a  workman  that needeth  not  to  be ashamed, rightly dividing the word of truth.    

THINGS THAT DIFFER By C.R. Stam
Read it on line for "FREE"

http://www.geocities.com/protestantscot/ttd/ttd_chap1.html

<Smiley))><
Brother Love
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #76 on: December 14, 2004, 04:03:12 AM »

Do you need a reminder of God's grace...?

Have you ever swam in the ocean and been so distracted with the waves that you forgot to keep your eyes on the shore? It doesn't take long before we can slowly drift down the beach without even realizing it, does it?

Legalism works the same way. It seeks to distract us from dependence and trust in Jesus to trusting in our performance. It comes at us at a hundred miles per hour, all day, everyday. It doesn't jerk you abruptly over into its clutches. Instead, legalism slowly, almost imperceptibly, pulls us under until one day we turn around and we've lost sight of the shore.

Each one of us on the Grace Walk team is susceptible to the same scheme of our enemy. No one is immune to the deception. That's why we are convinced that renewing our minds constantly on the truth of the gospel of the grace of God (Acts 20:24) is crucial to experiencing victory over the ongoing bombardment of legalism. We would like to share those reminders with you. Please visit us each month for what we hope are helpful reminders to you of God's amazing grace...

2 Tim 2:15  Study to show thyself approved unto God, a  workman  that needeth  not  to  be ashamed, rightly dividing the word of truth.    

<Smiley))><
Brother Love
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #77 on: December 14, 2004, 04:14:17 AM »

The Barnabas Touch

I don’t think I would have enjoyed having the Apostle Paul for a friend. Does that sound wrong in some way? I don’t mean to be rude, but it’s true. Paul seemed to be the kind of guy who was too intense for me. Don’t misunderstand me. I believe that Paul is probably the most influential Christian who has ever set foot on planet earth. I look forward to meeting him one day in heaven.

But to have lived with him down here? I’m just not sure. Thank God for the Apostle Paul type Christians in the church today. They’re the prophetic, strong, on-mission types who get a lot done and motivate others to do the same.

But as far as somebody I’d want to hang around with goes, I’d pick Barnabas instead. When Paul first became a Christian, those in the early church had their doubts about the reality of his conversion and wanted to keep their distance from him. It was Barnabas who brought him in and convinced them to accept him. (See Acts 9:27)

Once Paul and Barnabas went on a mission trip with young John Mark. (See Acts 12) After awhile John Mark decided that he was ready to go home, so he did. Later, when Paul and Barnabas were going to return to the places they had visited, John Mark wanted to go. The Apostle Paul wouldn’t hear of it. After all, the boy had abandoned them earlier.

Barnabas, on the other hand, had a different viewpoint. He apparently felt that everybody deserves another chance and insisted that John go with them. Paul and Barnabas couldn’t agree on the matter, so they separated. Paul took off in one direction with Silas and Barnabas in the other with John Mark. (See Acts 15:39)

The name “Barnabas” means “the son of comfort.” He lived up to his name, demonstrating a comforting, encouraging way toward John Mark. My guess is that John never forgot how Barnabas treated him. I suspect that by his tenderness, Barnabas made a friend for life in that situation.

Sometimes Christians think that we all need to be like the Apostle Paul – strong, determined, trail-blazers in expanding the kingdom. The church does need folks like that, but don’t minimize the powerful effect of the Barnabas type Christians in the church.

You might start churches, like Paul did, or you might touch somebody who turned aside like Barnabas did. Don’t fall into the error of thinking that you have to act outside your basic personality and temperament type. God can use you with the personality you have right now, without changing anything about that aspect of your makeup.

Do you relate to Paul’s approach to life? Then go for it. But don’t be too harsh on those who are more comfortable with the Barnabas approach. The Pauls of the church may reach cities, but the Barnabases will impact lives too, one person at a time.

Steve McVey is the President of Grace Walk Ministries, a discipleship ministry located in Atlanta, GA. If you have been sent this devotional by a friend and want to know more about Grace Walk Ministries, visit our web site at www.gracewalk.org.

This devotional may be duplicated if printed with no changes in its entirety and with the following acknowledgment: “Copyright, 2004,used by permission. Steve McVey, Grace Walk Ministries, www.gracewalk.org

<Smiley))><
Brother Love
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #78 on: December 15, 2004, 04:02:09 AM »

On Turning Fifty

Forgive my self-indulgent, personal musing this week. This week is a major mile-marker in my life. My birthday is July 7th and I turn fifty years old. I hated turning thirty. I felt like youth had disappeared and I had received a life-long sentence to be served in the adult world.

Forty didn’t bother me. It was that year that I left the local church pastorate. I began traveling then, speaking in different churches as I continue to do now.

This week, fifty arrives and I’m honestly excited. I’ve been doing much study on the number 50 in the Bible and it’s all good. The fiftieth year was a Year of Jubilee among the people of Israel. It was a Sabbath of Sabbaths, a special year among special years. During that year, those in bondage were set free. (See Leviticus 25:10, 41:54) Is was considered a “year of liberty.” (See Ezekiel 46:17) It was proclaimed by trumpets. (See Leviticus 25:9, Psalm 89:15) Debts were forgiven. (See Leviticus 25:28) Families were restored. (See Leviticus 25:10)

Every 50 years God’s covenant people were to remember where they came from and how they got to where they were. They were to commemorate the past, celebrate the present and anticipate the future. That’s what I want to do this week.

In reality, the Year of Jubilee is personified in the person of Christ. Spiritually speaking, every year is a fiftieth year. That’s what Isaiah was alluding to when he wrote, “The Spirit of the Lord is upon Me, because the Lord has anointed Me to bring Good News to the afflicted. He has sent me to bind up the brokenhearted; to proclaim liberty to captives and freedom to prisoners; to proclaim the Favorable Year of the Lord and the Day of Vengeance of our God; to comfort all who mourn” (Isaiah 61:1-2).

In Christ, the Favorable Year of the Lord is every year. But for now, I’ll focus on this year and claim it as my own personal Year of Jubilee. Maybe I’ve overrun the bounds of sound biblical interpretation and application, but that’s okay. It’s a big birthday and I don’t think my Father minds. How about you? Your age may not be fifty, but you can join this party too. Join me in the celebration?

The Year Of Jubilee

This is the season of Jubilee

Singing and dancing for you and me

Thanking and praising because we're free

Oh this is the year of Jubilee

Put your hands together

Everybody praise the Lord

Put your hands together

Sing and shout and praise the Lord

Everything that was stolen shall be returned unto me

Mother, father, sister, brother they will all go free

Everything that was stole shall be returned unto me

Singing dancing praising shouting increase and victory

This is the season of Jubilee

Words and Music by Tom Bynum

Performed by: Ron Kenoly

© 1998 Integrity's Praise! Music

<Smiley))><
Brother Love
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #79 on: December 16, 2004, 04:14:01 AM »

Join the Party!

Everybody likes a party! Parties are usually associated with the celebration of life in some way. A New Years party celebrates the start of a new year of life. A birthday party celebrates the length of ones life. An anniversary party celebrates the years of life a couple has enjoyed together. A graduation party celebrates the start of a new life. Parties are about living. Nobody likes a dead party, but everybody enjoys being around "the life of the party."

One of the most commonly used words in the New Testament referring to the relationship that exists between Christians has the connotation of a party. It is the word "koinonia", usually translated in the 1611 KJV as "fellowship." An accurate twentieth century translation could be the word party! God has sent his Son to pay the cost and sent the Holy Spirit to invite us to join the trinity in a supernatural party which will last for all eternity. Forever we will celebrate His life! Is your life characterized by an aura of celebrative joy? Jesus clearly said that He wants His joy to fill our lives (John 15:11). He said that on the night before He was crucified.

Several elements often characterize parties. Every party is filled with socializing. Singing, music and laughter usually set the mood of a party. It would seem really strange to attend a party where these things weren't prevalent. Acts 2:46 says the early church were enjoying meals together in each others homes with gladness. The believer should exemplify the spirit of gladness in this world. There are far too many whiners in the modern church. I'm not talking about sincere Christians sharing legitimate burdens. I'm talking about perpetual belly-achers who have a "woe is me" mentality every time you see them. Away with moaning and complaining. The tomb is empty, remember? We won!

Remember Jeremiah the weeping prophet? How's this song for the modern church whiners?

Jeremiah was a prophet, He is a good friend of mine, I don't remember a single word he said, But he sure taught me how to whine!

Away with whining forever! As those who share in the very nature of Christ (2 Peter 1:4), we should instead:

Celebrate! Celebrate! Dance to the music of His grace!

(If you weren't a teen in the late sixties and early seventies, you won't know the tune, but you can still understand the message).

Another element sometimes found in worldly parties is drunkenness. It's the world's effort at trying to experience joy in life. On the day of Pentecost the observers of the early Christians "were mocking and saying, 'They are full of sweet wine' (Acts 2:13)". They were drunk all right , but not on wine. They were totally intoxicated with the life of Christ being expressed through them by the power of the Holy Spirit. They were "under the influence" of Christ's life and couldn't keep quite about Him. The reason that the evangelism of the early church was so effective is that these folks were celebrating the life they experienced in Jesus with unbridled, uninhibited joy! They understood that Christ is Life. That's the reason for saints of every age to celebrate! With that truth firmly in mind, let's party!

<Smiley))><
Brother Love
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #80 on: December 16, 2004, 02:56:34 PM »

The Key to Victory: Trusting vs. Trying

If Jesus promised victory, why are so many Christians experiencing defeat in their own lives?  In his book, Victory in Christ, Charles Trumball expresses the sad circumstances  of many people:

"There were great fluctuations in my spiritual life, in my conscious closeness of fellowship with God.  Sometimes I would be on the heights spiritually; sometimes I would be in the depths.  A strong, arousing conviction, a stirring, searching address from some consecrated, victorious Christian leader of men; a searching Spirit filled book, or the obligation to do a difficult piece of Christian service myself, with the preparation in prayer that it involved, would lift me up; and I would stay up - for a while - and God would seem very close and my spiritual life deep.  But it wouldn't last.  Sometimes by some single failure before temptation, sometimes by a gradual downhill process, my best experiences would be lost, and I would find myself back on the lower levels.  And a lower level is a perilous place for a Christian to be, as the Devil showed me over and over again."

The cycle Trumbull described may be typical, but it isn't the kind of Christian life described in the New Testament.  The problem for many believers is that they try instead of trust.  We live in a culture that commends effort.  From childhood each of us learned that we shouldn't give up.  Don't be a quitter.  Keep trying until you accomplish your goal.  One company even advertised a motto which said, "We try harder!"  In the natural world, trying harder is commendable and often effective.  Yet God's ways really aren't our ways.  Sometimes they seem to be opposite from ours.  In the spiritual world, trying harder is detrimental.  That's right.  Trying will defeat you every time, regardless of how sincere you might be.

No Christian has a problem with the previous paragraph as it relates to salvation.  If an unsaved person were to suggest to you that he is trying hard to become a Christian, what would you tell him?  You would probably make it clear to him that a person is not saved by trying, but becomes a child of God by trusting.  You would tell him that there is absolutely nothing he can do to gain salvation.  It has all already been done.  Salvation is a gift to be received, not a reward for hard work.

Yet many Christians who understand that trying is detrimental to becoming a Christian somehow think that it is essential to walking in victory after salvation.  Not so!  1 Corinthians 15:57 says, "but thanks be unto God, who gives us the victory through our Lord Jesus Christ."  The Bible clearly says here that victory is a gift that comes through Jesus.  If we have the Lord Jesus Christ, victory is already ours!

Do you get the picture?  We don't experience victory by fighting, instead we enjoy it by faith!  As we abide in Christ and allow Him to live His life through us we live in victory.  1 John 5:4 says, "And this is the victory that has overcome the world - our faith."  The key to victory is to simply allow Christ to live through us.  The Bible calls it "walking in the Spirit."  Many people try to stop sinning in order to walk in the Spirit, but Galatians 5:16 says, "Walk in the Spirit and [then] you shall not fulfill the lust of the flesh."

Victory is a Person and His name is Jesus!  It isn't necessary to walk in defeat.  The victory was won at the cross and became ours the moment we received Christ!

<Smiley))><
Brother Love
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #81 on: December 17, 2004, 04:08:35 AM »

Living by "Christian" Values

There is a great deal of discussion and debate today about "Christian values."  The term is used to describe the spiritual/moral principles around which believers build their life.  On the surface it would seem that defending Christian values is a noble cause.  Yet the Bible never teaches that our life should be built around a particular value system.  Paul never said "For to me to live is to live like Christ."  However many Christians would suggest that to imitate the life of Christ is a worthy goal.  Paul did say, "For me to live is Christ."  His lifestyle was not an imitation of the life of Jesus.  Christianity is not an imitation of Christ's life.  It is an expression of His life.

When a person focuses on imitating Christ, he will be obsessed with doing right and avoiding wrong.  Obviously a Christian should do right and avoid wrong.  But many in the modern church may be putting the cart before the horse.  The Bible never suggests that we are to behave a certain way in order to become righteous.  Any effort to achieve righteousness by our behavior will only lead to self righteousness.

When a person receives Christ, he is given the very nature of Jesus.  Peter said that we have become "partakers of the divine nature" (2 Peter 1:3).  A Christian does not gradually become righteous -- he has been given the gift of righteousness in the person of Christ!  2 Corinthians 5:21 says that God "made Him who knew no sin to be sin for us, that we might become the righteousness of God in Him."  You may behave more righteously than you do right now, but you will never be made more righteous than you are today.  Every Christian has the nature of Christ.  How can we get holier than that?

When our focus is only on behavior, we are living a legalistic, performance based kind of "Christian" life.  God's prescription is that our focus should be on Jesus.  Abiding in Him will allow us to live in victory.  Our lifestyle is not built on values, Christian or otherwise.  Our life is Christ!  As we abide in Him, His righteousness is expressed through our lifestyle.  Apart from him, even our "good" deeds are nothing more than empty religion.  Jesus said, "Apart from me you can do nothing."  We can preach, pray, teach, witness, give, and do a hundred other things, but they all add up to zero in God's eyes if we aren't abiding in Christ.  Don't get caught up in living by values.  Live by His life.  An imitation of Christ is empty religion.  An expression of Christ is real Christianity.  An imitation is never as good as the real thing.  Don't settle for a cheap substitute.  Abide in Him!

<Smiley))><
Brother Love
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #82 on: December 18, 2004, 08:08:27 AM »

We Must!

"What must a person do to be a good Christian? " Randomly ask a hundred Christians this question and their answers will bear much similarity. There are foundational tenets that most believers would contend must mark the lifestyle of Christians in order to be able to legitimately call ourselves good Christians. None would argue that we must do these things to be saved, but that we must do them if we are to be the right kind of follower of Jesus Christ.
Prayer — Few believers would argue that at the very least, we must be faithful in prayer. How often must one pray? The Bible says that we are to "pray without ceasing." Would less than an hour a day qualify as constant prayer? Consider the needs of your family and friends. What about the needs of the world? The needs are great. How much time do you spend praying every day? Don’t you think that we must pray if God is going to move in our circumstances?

Bible Study — Who wouldn’t acknowledge that the Bible is God’s revelation for us? God speaks through His written Word. Is it unreasonable that He should expect that we must spend time every day in the Word? A daily devotional time in God’s Word would seem to be a must for sincere Christians. Do you agree? Are you spending time reading the Bible every day of your life? How much time do you give to the Word of God? Do you hurriedly read a short passage just so you can know you have done your duty or do you sincerely commit yourself to the discipline of ongoing Bible study?

Church Participation — While many have forsaken the church, most Christians would agree that to be a good Christian, one must attend church faithfully. It is commonly recognized that we must come together with God’s people if we are to call ourselves good Christians. Attending church isn’t an option, it’s a must.

We must pray. We must read the Bible. We must attend church. How has what I’ve written struck you thus far? Do you feel edified? Encouraged? Uplifted and motivated to do better? I doubt it. You probably feel beaten down, judged, condemned. That’s how I meant for you to feel. I have intentionally used the word must fifteen times in order to show the effect of living by the law. The Law demands that we must perform certain requirements to be acceptable to God. Whenever we evaluate ourselves by the law, we will always feel condemned. The role of the law is to minister death and condemnation. (See 2 Corinthians 3;6b-9) The law judges us for failing in our duties. Grace, on the other hand, gives birth to a desire to behave in a way that honors Christ.

There is certainly nothing wrong with prayer, Bible study or church participation. In fact, these things are the normal way of life for the believer who is trusting Christ. They are each a gift from God to us — a gift from Him to us. However, the enemy has turned things around and caused many Christians to think that these actions are our gift to Him. Consequently we have taken what God intended to be a real pleasure and, by our legalistic perspective, have turned it into a religious performance.

Once these grace gifts have been baptized into the stagnant waters of dead religion, they lose all life. They no longer have legitimate meaning, neither to the believer nor God. They have become dead works. Bible study no longer is a joy; it’s a job. Prayer no longer is a dialogue with our Heavenly Father; it has become a devotional. Church attendance becomes nothing more than a weary responsibility when God intended for it to be a time when He and His bride make love to each other through the medium of worship.

Do you believe that you must pray? That you must study your Bible? That you must attend church? That is the perspective of a bonafide legalist — one who tries to gain God’s blessings or advance spiritually by what He does. Must has nothing to do with it. The gospel offers the good news that Christians don’t have to do anything to be acceptable to God. Nothing. Christ has already done everything to cause God to accept us completely.

We don’t have to commit ourselves to the disciplines of religion. Jesus didn’t come to help us be religious. Far from it — He came to deliver us from religion. He came to bring us into a relationship with God through Himself. Those who were most offended by Jesus were the religionists of His day. He didn’t live up to what they thought He ought to be. He just wasn’t a good churchman, by their standards. To them, Jesus had no convictions. He appeared to compromise the purity and integrity of their values by doing things like healing people on the Sabbath, by eating with the crooks (Publicans) and party-animals (sinners) of His day. Jesus was a friend of the hookers and homeless. He didn’t separate Himself far enough from the riffraff, as every good churchman knew one should do. Consequently, He lost His testimony with the Pharisees, an incidental matter which didn’t seem to bother Him at all. Jesus cared more about relationships than reputation. He still does.

Are you living under the burden of must? There’s good news — you don’t have to anymore. Jesus has set us free from the curse of the law. Part of that curse is that you can never satisfy the law’s demands, regardless of how much you do and how well you do it. When is enough, enough? Even if we begin to live up to the list of duties which we see ourselves failing now, the law will simply present a new list to us. You can never become a good Christian by what you do.

The truth is that we are already good Christians, and it’s not because of what we do or don’t do. It’s because of Jesus who lives inside us. He is our goodness. Do you want to be a good Christian? Then, for goodness sake, stop trying to be so religious. It nauseates God, and probably doesn’t make the people around you feel too good either. Don’t worry about being religious. Just be yourself. Let Jesus be Jesus in you and through you.

We must? No, we’ve been set free from the misery of "musts." Christ is our very Life. When one comes to know and believe that fact, the only question left to answer is: What do you want to do? Don’t be afraid to let go of "must" and move into "trust." Let Jesus live through you. He won’t be passive or lazy. He will activate you to do what He wants to do through you. It won’t be laws, but love that motivates you. Forget rules; it’s all about relationship. Nothing else can ever motivate us to consistency, but love never fails.

Love,

<Smiley))><
Brother Love
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #83 on: December 18, 2004, 05:33:28 PM »

Oh no!   I'm sunk now...

I remember the day I learned to swim, as a child. It was in a Sunday School class party and everybody there seemed to know how to swim, except me. My teacher, noticing that I was in the shallow end of the pool, asked, "Steve, can't you swim?" "No," I answered embarrassingly. "Do you want me to teach you?" he asked. I agreed and he began his instruction. "The first thing you need to know," he said, "is that you don't have to be afraid of sinking and drowning. If you relax, your body will float. Just try lying on your back and relaxing in the water." I laid back in the water, attempting to do what he had told me. However, every time I laid back and felt my head sinking into the water, at the moment the water filled my ears, I would lift my head. Then I would begin to sink. "Don't lift your head," my teacher encouraged me. "Just relax and let your ears go underwater. You won't sink." Again I would try to take his advice, but when I felt the water rising above my ears toward my face, I would rise up and again begin to sink.

Finally he came over toward me and said, "Lie back in my arms and I will hold you on top of the water so that you cannot sink." I began to lie back and, true to his word, I felt his arms underneath me, holding me up. As he held me there and I felt the support of his arms, I began to relax a little. After a short time, I was comfortable. Finally, he said to me, "Okay, now I'm going to move my arms from your back so that you won't feel me touching you, but they will still be beneath you, so that I will catch you if you start to sink. Do you trust me?" he asked. I expressed that I did trust him and he did exactly what he said. For the first time in my life, I floated on the water. I felt no fear because I knew that underneath me were his arms. I knew that I had his guarantee that he would not let me sink.

There is a biblical promise which is connected to our spiritual rest which points us toward the arms of God. When Moses announced God's blessing on the tribes of Israel by promising to bring them into His place of rest, He told them that "the eternal God is a dwelling place, and underneath are the everlasting arms" (Deuteronomy 33:27). Christians are in Christ, and, says the Bible, underneath are the everlasting arms.

There have been times in my life when decisions I made caused me to say to myself, "Oh no, I'm sunk now." My assessment always proved to be wrong. Whether I felt it or not, underneath me were God's everlasting arms keeping me from sinking. The same is true of your life. You are where you are today because God has upheld you by His arms. The arms of God provide a lifetime guarantee that He will take care of the details of our lives, ensuring that we won't make choices which cause us to sink to a place where He doesn't want us to be. You can relax and enjoy the living water because God has you in His arms!  

<Smiley))><
Brother Love
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #84 on: December 21, 2004, 03:52:38 AM »

Grace Eye For The Legalistic Guy

Meet Pastor Joe. He’s a flaming legalist who is need of a complete makeover. His wardrobe consists of religious rags that he bought somewhere years ago while he was still in seminary. The sad thing is that he thinks they’re still stylish. Somebody needs to tell him that the Old Covenant clothes are out. That cutting edge Apostle named Paul put it like this: “Put on the Lord Jesus Christ” (Romans 13:14). Pastor Joe needs to come into the New Covenant and try on grace for size.

His closet is filled with worn out suits of self-sufficiency that don’t fit him anymore. But he still tries to squeeze into them nonetheless. He knows that they aren’t comfortable to wear, but doesn’t realize there is a better wardrobe available to those who have discovered that they can get their clothes from Abba’s closet. There, any Christian can find tailor-made garments of grace that fit every occasion. And the best part of it all is that there’s no price to pay. All the grace garments have already been paid for and are available at no cost to the recipient.

A big problem with Pastor Joe’s wardrobe is that he has influence over others whom he has caused to dress the same way. Can you remember the time in American history when men all went to work wearing “leisure suits?” This is even worse. It would be laughable if it weren’t so tragic.

I love you, Pastor Joe. I love you enough to be honest with you about your wardrobe. You need a makeover – in a bad way. Believe me when I say that I’m not judging you. I dressed the same way you do for most of my life, but I’ve found a better way. That’s why I’m motivated to share some faith-fashion tips with you that somebody shared with me at a time when I badly needed them.

I hope you aren’t offended by my analogy and the comparison I use. Truthfully, I used the words “flaming legalist” just to get your attention. It’s not intended to be an insult. I suppose that it’s my way of attempting to lighten my approach to a sensitive subject by trying to use a little humor to make a serious point. There’s just not an easy way to tell a man that how he is dressed isn’t working for him – or for those around him. “You’re ugly and your mother dresses you funny” is seldom well received by anybody of any age.

But the truth is that there are some things that you need to take off and others that you need to put on. This makeover strategy didn’t start with me. The Apostle Paul once found a group of Christians still wearing the old, out of style clothes of the Old Covenant and he plainly told them to take off some things and put on others. (Read Ephesians 2:22-24, Colossians 3:8-14.)

Many pastors only have one suit and that’s the one they always wear. Worse yet, they usually peddle to their congregations. I know because for years I was a leading distributor of this brand name.

The Rags of Religious Ritual

For years I encouraged members of my church to “do the right things.” “Moreover it is required in stewards, that a man be found faithful” was one of my favorite verses. In fact, I’d beat them over the head with it. “God knows your level of faithfulness!” I would pronounce in my best “Isaiah-woe-is-you-if-you-don’t-get-it-right” tone of voice.

My emphasis was on how people ought to look in terms of their outward behavior. “Don’t be a spiritual slacker” was the underlying theme I applied to myself and my congregation. While I would never have said it directly, I implied that if you do all the right things, the rest will sort itself out. Read your Bible, pray, come to church, give your money, witness to your neighbor, etc. Those are the foundations of Christian living, I believed.

The Garment of Grace

If you’ve read my first book, Grace Walk, you know how God finally stripped me spiritually naked after I moved to Atlanta. Once I found myself standing there before Him in my birthday suit, I was ready to put on whatever He had in His closet for me.

As things turned out, He covered me with the garment of grace. I’ve worn it all these years since. It fits so well! It is comfortable, functional and enjoyable to wear! I wouldn’t go back to the old wardrobe for anything.

Not only do I wear this Bible brand now, but I’m also a distributor of this line. With that in mind, here’s what I want to offer you.

I don’t usually do this kind of thing, but if you’d like to try on this grace garment for size, I’d like to give you a free gift. If you are a pastor of a local church, I’d like to give you a free copy of my book, Grace Walk. There’s no catch. I just want you to have it.

Email me at the address below, and send me your address and I’ll send you the book right away. I’ll pay the shipping too. Why would I do this? It’s because I know you’ll love the makeover that the Holy Spirit will do on you. I have been thrilled since He did the work in me that you’ll read about in Grace Walk.

Try the garment of grace on for size. You won’t be disappointed!

To receive your free copy of Grace Walk, please send your request to: PastorsFreeBook@gracewalk.org Note: This offer is only for church pastors. Others may purchase the book by calling 1-800-472-2311.

This devotional may be duplicated if printed with no changes in its entirety and with the following acknowledgment: ““Copyright, 2004,used by permission. Steve McVey, Grace Walk Ministries, www.gracewalk.org

<Smiley))><
Brother Love
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #85 on: December 21, 2004, 04:15:23 AM »

God Is For Me

“God is for me.” Can you make that statement with a deep sense of certainty? He is, you know. When things are going the way you want, God is for you. When life seems to be falling apart, God is for you. When the Philistines chased David down in Gath, he wrote, “This I know, that God is for me” (Psalm 56:9). What a time to make a declaration like that!

Many of us have found ourselves in a place similar to David’s situation at times. Life is closing in . . . the enemy seems to have us cornered and there appears to be no way out. Pleasant circumstances disappear before our eyes and the world turns dark.

At times like that, we may be tempted to cry out, “Why is God against me?” Not David. He assured himself with the truth, “God is for me.” He didn’t say, “This I feel, that God is for me.” There are many times in life that we don’t feel like God is for us. No, he said, “This I know, that God is for me.

Will you affirm this truth in your own life? God really is for you. Nothing can ever change His mind or heart toward you. If you are His child, His lovingkindness toward you will last forever. (Read Psalm 136 sometime!)

Circumstances may be suffocating you at times, but God is for you! Negative feelings may seem to be strangling you, but God is for you! Life may not make sense at a given moment, but God is for you! Trust Him. When you feel like you’re drowning in an ocean of problems, cling to your Heavenly Father. He will prove Himself strong in your life by assuring you of His love.

Your circumstances may or may not turn out like you want, but He will hold you in His loving and sovereign arms and gently whisper His love to you again and again. Sit in quietness for a moment and listen to his loving voice assure you of that fact until, like the Psalmist, you may say, “This is know, God is for me!”

<Smiley))><
Brother Love
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #86 on: December 21, 2004, 04:21:29 AM »

Cling to Jesus

When you have a serious decision to make and aren’t sure which option to choose, cling to Jesus. When you go to church every week, but don’t seem to get anything out of it at all, cling to Jesus. When your bills are coming in faster than your paychecks do, cling to Jesus. When your children make decisions that contradict everything you’ve taught them their whole lives, cling to Jesus. When the doctor gives the diagnosis you most feared to hear, cling to Jesus. When you aren’t sure which church is teaching truth and which is teaching error, cling to Jesus. When grace is a subject you believe, but wonder how to move it from your head to your experience, cling to Jesus. When your heart has grown cold and you haven’t felt God’s presence in a very long time, cling to Jesus. When a friend betrays you in a way you never would have expected, cling to Jesus.

Cling to Jesus. He will guide you through His Spirit. He will nurture you by His love. He will provide for you through His generosity. He will comfort you through His tender compassion. He will heal you by His stripes. He will reveal truth to you through His Word. He will transform you by His power. He will touch you by His presence. He will sustain you by His faithfulness.

Cling to Jesus. He holds you in His arms at this very moment and will never let you go. You have been bought with a price and will display the glory of His grace throughout eternity. Cling to Jesus and know this for sure – He will eternally cling to you.

<Smiley))><
Brother Love
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #87 on: December 21, 2004, 08:30:07 AM »

Christ Our Anchor

A few years ago Melanie and I were sailing alone when we came to a small island where we wanted to spend the night. Normally we would pick up a mooring ball, where we would tie off our boat to secure it for the night. These mooring balls are set in concrete which are securely anchored at the bottom of the ocean. When a boat is tied off to one of them, nothing can move it.

It was late enough in the day that we couldn’t find a mooring ball because too many other boats had arrived ahead of us. Because of the hour I was hesitant to start out for another place to spend the night, so we decided to set anchor where we were. In the few years we had been sailing, we hadn’t gained confidence that we were able to successfully set the anchor so that it would hold firmly. We had been taught how to do so when we took our certification classes, but still lacked confidence.

My fears caused me to imagine what would happen if the anchor pulled loose during the middle of the night. We could drift and bump into other boats around us. I wasn’t worried so much about doing damage to ours or another boat as much as I didn’t want to look like I didn’t know what I was doing (which wasn’t totally without truth). Another possibility was that we might drift from where we were to the water’s edge and find ourselves on the nearby reef.

We set the anchor. Then for awhile I sat in one spot on deck, lining up a point on the boat with an object on land to make sure that we weren’t drifting. Everything appeared to be okay, but I still wasn’t easy about it. We took our dinghy ashore to have dinner, but throughout the whole meal I kept watching our boat to make sure she was still in the same place.

That night when we went below to sleep, I jerked awake almost every time I felt any movement on the boat that seemed unusual. I even got up and went up on deck four or five times during the night and checked the anchor to make sure it was still secure. It was a long night with brief moments of sleep.

When the sun came up the next day, I checked the anchor again. It hadn’t moved at all. Everything had been fine. My fears and apprehension had been unfounded.

I thought about that experience later and began to see how much that experience reflected my attitude in life at times. There we were, in a beautiful Carribean setting, but I didn’t really enjoy it that evening or night. I can’t even remember what I ate at the restaurant where we had dinner. I don’t remember the sunset that evening. I didn’t enjoy the gentle sway of the boat in the water, rocking me to sleep. I was too worried, focused on what might happen if the anchor didn’t hold.

Hebrews 6:19 teaches that our hope in Christ is an “anchor for the soul” to those who believe in Him. Despite that promise, there have been times in my life when I couldn’t fully enjoy being where God had put me because of fears – fears of drifting out of His will, fears about dangers I thought I could see on the horizon, fears about looking like I didn’t know what I was doing. Fear robs us of the joy of the journey known as “the Christian life.” It causes us to believe that our own safety is up to us, not God. It will make us act like we are the ones who must be in control.

Jesus Christ is the anchor of your soul. Don’t needlessly fret about the details of life. You belong to God and there is nothing that can force you to crash on the rocks. You are secure because He is secure. Trust Christ in every circumstance. Then relax. Enjoy the sunset. Savor the flavor of life. Rest, knowing that “in every high and stormy gale, my anchor holds within the veil.”

<Smiley))><
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

More From ChristiansUnite...    About Us | Privacy Policy | | ChristiansUnite.com Site Map | Statement of Beliefs

Copyright © 1999-2019 ChristiansUnite.com. All rights reserved.
Please send your questions, comments, or bug reports to the