Webmasters
• Christian Guestbooks
• Banner Exchange
• Dynamic Content

Subscribe to our Free Newsletter.
Enter your email address:

ChristiansUnite
Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 25, 2024, 11:45:22 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Our Lord Jesus Christ loves you.
286805 Posts in 27568 Topics by 3790 Members
Latest Member: Goodwin
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  ChristiansUnite Forums
|-+  Fellowship
| |-+  Witnessing (Moderator: admin)
| | |-+  Saying too much?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Saying too much?  (Read 4529 times)
Music4Him

View Profile
« on: September 16, 2004, 05:17:32 PM »

Hi everyone,

I have a friend who I have been praying a lot for.  He is a wonderful person, but he doesn't know the Lord and doesn't care to.  He and I have talked about almost every subject there is to talk about and have gotten very close.  I consider him like a brother to me.  I've told him about Jesus and what Jesus did, and I've told him my beliefs and given him my testimony.  We've talked some about Creation vs. Evolution, abortion, and gay marriages.  A lot of these things I tell him what the Bible says about it, and some things we agree on.  However, he's told me he doesn't care about religion, life after death, or God.  He's also told me he hates my religion because we "hold BBQs" and informal get togethers in order to "tug" people into believing.  I think he was referring to me as well.  I've apologized before for maybe being too blunt or pushing, and I've told him only he can make the decision to believe in Jesus, and no one can force it.  I also told him I'm praying for him.  He says he's not offended by what I say, and it just seems like he doesn't really care.  When I'm talking to him, I feel led to say certain things, but when I'm not talking to him, I wonder if I'm pushing too hard and causing him to go farther away from God.  I want him to trust Jesus, but I don't want to push him away.  Do you think I should stop talking about God or the Bible?  I'm really upset by the thought that I could be pushing too hard, but I want to do the right thing by telling him about God.  Any advice would be apreciated. Thanks

Faith means being sure of the things we hope for and knowing that something is real even if we do not see it. Hebrews 11:1
   The shortest distance between a problem and a solution is the distance between your knees and the floor. The one who kneels to the Lord can stand up to anything.
2nd Timothy
Gold Member

Resident Meese Master

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2004, 01:38:09 AM »

Very good question, and one that I have been pondering quite a bit lately.

What our hearts dwell on generally are spoken of often to those around us.  The same applies to them.  In casual get togethers with friends, they will most likely speak of what is weighing on their hearts.   Used wisely these clues can direct our conversations in a direction where we can minister to people's needs.

Sometimes, that is nothing more than being a good listener.  Being a good friend, or someone who cares is just as important as sharing Christ.   Jesus told us we are the salt of the earth.   When salt is used properly, a sprinkle here, and a sprinkle there, it improves the flavor of food.  If we pour it on, the food becomes un-eatable.

Just continue being a friend, and share the gospel when you feel prompted by God to share.    You may not realize it, but just being there for your friend has a minstering affect.   Conintue to pray for him, and ask God to show you, how you can serve the Lord and allow Him to touch the life of your friend through YOU.   You are the salt, let God do the sprinkling.   Smiley

Grace and Peace!

Tim

Enslaved in service to Christ
Shylynne
Gold Member

Oh that I might kiss the feet of God!

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2004, 07:29:57 PM »

What our hearts dwell on generally are spoken of often to those around us.  The same applies to them.  In casual get togethers with friends, they will most likely speak of what is weighing on their hearts.  Used wisely these clues can direct our conversations in a direction where we can minister to people's needs.

Sometimes, that is nothing more than being a good listener.  Being a good friend, or someone who cares is just as important as sharing Christ.  Jesus told us we are the salt of the earth.  When salt is used properly, a sprinkle here, and a sprinkle there, it improves the flavor of food.  If we pour it on, the food becomes un-eatable.

Just continue being a friend, and share the gospel when you feel prompted by God to share.    You may not realize it, but just being there for your friend has a minstering affect.  Conintue to pray for him, and ask God to show you, how you can serve the Lord and allow Him to touch the life of your friend through YOU.  You are the salt, let God do the sprinkling.

AMEN!
 Smiley

“Christianity isn't all that complicated … it's Jesus.”   — Joni Eareckson Tada

There is no force on earth as powerful as one human soul set ablaze with the Spirit of God -  Shylynne
Music4Him

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2004, 06:23:23 PM »

2ndTimothy,  thanks for the advice.  I'll try harder not to say so much and let God do the work.  I've prayed that He would work through me and speak for me.  Sometimes I'm not sure whether I should say something or not.  I feel urged to, but sometimes after I do, I wonder if I should've said anything at
all.  It's kinda strange.  But I'll take you're advice and try to be the best friend I can be, and if an opportunity comes up again, I'll try to let God do the work. Will you pray for my friend that God will work in his heart?  Thanks again!
« Last Edit: September 23, 2004, 11:11:27 PM by blackeyedpeas » Logged

Faith means being sure of the things we hope for and knowing that something is real even if we do not see it. Hebrews 11:1
   The shortest distance between a problem and a solution is the distance between your knees and the floor. The one who kneels to the Lord can stand up to anything.
nChrist
Global Moderator
Gold Member

May God Lead And Guide Us All

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2004, 06:41:56 PM »

Hello Music4Him,

Many here will pray for your friend. In fact, I think this would be a good prayer request in the prayer request area.

Love In Christ,
Tom  
« Last Edit: September 23, 2004, 11:12:51 PM by blackeyedpeas » Logged

sincereheart
Gold Member

"and with His stripes we are healed." Isaiah 53:5

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2004, 07:08:00 PM »

Music4Him,
The fact that you care for your friend is something I'm sure he's noticed!  Smiley You said he told you he's not offended by what you say so I'd take him at his word.  Wink The words probably aren't as important as how YOU are! It sounds like he can see Christ in you and that will speak volumes!  Cheesy

At this point, I would suggest continuing to mention God as you normally would and pray for your friend. You have planted the seeds - God can do the rest!

And remember Isaiah 55:11:
So shall my word be that goeth forth out of my mouth: it shall not return unto me void, but it shall accomplish that which I please, and it shall prosper in the thing whereto I sent it.

Praying!  Smiley

2nd Timothy
Gold Member

Resident Meese Master

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 21, 2004, 08:21:30 AM »

2ndTimothy,  thanks for the advice.  I'll try harder not to say so much and let God do the work.  I've prayed that He would work through me and speak for me.  Sometimes I'm not sure whether I should say something or not.  I feel urged to, but sometimes after I do, I wonder if I should've said anything at
all.  It's kinda strange.  But I'll take you're advice and try to be the best friend I can be, and if an opportunity comes up again, I'll try to let God do the work. Will you pray for my friend that God will work in his heart?  Thanks again!

Let HIS Love and light show in the things you say and do.   Unfortunately, Jesus himself said that the world would hate us for His sake.   We are at odds with the world.  Ever been in a dark room and struck a match?   The darkness always flee's away from the light, because the two do not understand each other.   Don't hide your light though, let it shine!    I'm sure you have planted many seeds over time.   Sometimes it takes a while for those to start growing.   Someone else, later on in your friends life may be able to lead Him to Christ because of the ground work you are laying now.

I will be praying for both you and your friend, M4H!

Grace and Peace!

Tim

Enslaved in service to Christ
Music4Him

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 21, 2004, 11:34:43 PM »

Thanks so much everybody! Grin  You're all so encouraging, and I really appreciate it!  I'm still doing my best to witness to him, and it's so nice to know that there are people praying for him and I!  You're all so nice!  Thanks a lot! Grin

Bern

I don't think I'm a llama...

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 30, 2004, 04:30:39 PM »

A saying I heard somewhere, cant remember where... "Preach the gospel.. and if you have to, use words".

Romans 8:28  And we know that all things work together for good to them that love God, to them who are the called according to his purpose.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

More From ChristiansUnite...    About Us | Privacy Policy | | ChristiansUnite.com Site Map | Statement of Beliefs

Copyright © 1999-2019 ChristiansUnite.com. All rights reserved.
Please send your questions, comments, or bug reports to the