Webmasters
• Christian Guestbooks
• Banner Exchange
• Dynamic Content

Subscribe to our Free Newsletter.
Enter your email address:

ChristiansUnite
Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 28, 2024, 01:45:27 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Our Lord Jesus Christ loves you.
286870 Posts in 27569 Topics by 3790 Members
Latest Member: Goodwin
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  ChristiansUnite Forums
|-+  Theology
| |-+  Apologetics (Moderator: admin)
| | |-+  Question on judaism vs Christianity
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Question on judaism vs Christianity  (Read 1991 times)
Slippery Slope

Searching for the answer...

View Profile
« on: September 16, 2004, 03:15:32 PM »

Isn't the God of the Jews the same God as the Christians with the addition of Jesus? So which is right, Judaism or Christianity? How am I supposed to have faith in a God that, for thousands of years spoke to and performed miracles for "the chosen" people but was unable to convince them that Jesus was the Messiah? Did God turn his back on "the chosen" or is Christianity false and the true religion Judaism? If I were a Christian I'd be afraid that God would turn his back on me some day as well and if I were a Jew I'd be really afraid that I didn't convert to Christianity! Are all Jews going to hell because they don't believe in Christ?

-SS

"Great spirits have always found violent opposition from mediocrities. The latter cannot understand it when a man does not thoughtlessly submit to hereditary prejudices but honestly and courageously uses his intelligence."
-Albert Einstein
2nd Timothy
Gold Member

Resident Meese Master

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2004, 10:09:55 AM »

So since your not afraid you have no reason to worry do you?   After all you are not convinced that God is even real to begin with so does your question come from a personal desire to know if you might be wrong?

God did not turn His back on the Jews.  Rather He opened his grace to all men.  Man on the other hand is the one who turned his back on God.   God is not in the business of convincing man.  Man is found wanting without any need of further convincing for those who are honest with themselves.   If you are happy with your life then faith is probably not something you would even consider.  

What is it that you really want to know here?  You seem to have a satisfied sense of what Christianity is about.   Do you want to know about God?  About yourself?   About why we believe what we believe?  Just wondering.   Smiley

Grace and Peace!

Tim

Enslaved in service to Christ
AJ

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2004, 11:59:15 AM »

Isn't the God of the Jews the same God as the Christians with the addition of Jesus? So which is right, Judaism or Christianity? How am I supposed to have faith in a God that, for thousands of years spoke to and performed miracles for "the chosen" people but was unable to convince them that Jesus was the Messiah? Did God turn his back on "the chosen" or is Christianity false and the true religion Judaism? If I were a Christian I'd be afraid that God would turn his back on me some day as well and if I were a Jew I'd be really afraid that I didn't convert to Christianity! Are all Jews going to hell because they don't believe in Christ?

-SS

The answer to your question is found in Romans 10 and 11

Rom 11:29  For the gifts and calling of God [are] without repentance.
Rom 11:30  For as ye in times past have not believed God, yet have now obtained mercy through their unbelief:
Rom 11:31  Even so have these also now not believed, that through your mercy they also may obtain mercy.
Rom 11:32  For God hath concluded them all in unbelief, that he might have mercy upon all.
Rom 11:33  O the depth of the riches both of the wisdom and knowledge of God! how unsearchable [are] his judgments, and his ways past finding out!
Rom 11:34  For who hath known the mind of the Lord? or who hath been his counsellor?
Rom 11:35  Or who hath first given to him, and it shall be recompensed unto him again?
Rom 11:36  For of him, and through him, and to him, [are] all things: to whom [be] glory for ever. Amen.

God bless
MalkyEL

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2004, 05:48:29 PM »

God did not turn His back on Isra'el - she turned her back on Him. She broke the covenant, so God said He would extend salvation to anyone who would believe in the Messiah.

Many Jews believed in Him when He came, many did not.  The message was then extended to the nations.  We have the same choice today.  There are many who beleive in Him and many who do not.

Jesus said He is the Vine.  Paul reiterated this in Romans 10 by saying that all those who are grafted into the Vine [salvation by belief in Jesus], belong to God forever.  Anyone, regardless of ethnicity, can be grafted into the Vine if they believe in Jesus as the Son of God for salvation.

John 3:16 For God so loved the world that He gave His only-begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him should not perish but have everlasting life.
17 For God did not send His Son into the world to condemn the world, but so that the world might be saved through Him.
18 He who believes on Him is not condemned, but he who does not believe is condemned already, because he has not believed in the name of the only-begotten Son of God.

Pretty clear - ya think?   Grin

Shalom, Nana

Be mindful of the prisoners, as having been bound with them; of those ill-treated, as also being in the body yourselves.  Hebrews 13:3
Chesed

Zechariah 2:10-12

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2004, 06:06:12 PM »

Slippery Slope -

You ask some good questions.

Yes, Christians worship the same God as the Jews. The God of Abraham, Issac and Jacob. AJ already posted the first verse that came to my mind, saying the God's promises to Israel are irrevocable, and that God has blinded Israel for a time until all the fullness of Gentiles have come to faith. He did this so He could have mercy on us all.

God has one covenant with one people group: Israel. Through faith in the Messiah, gentiles can join that people group through adoption. I don't believe that God has abandoned Israel, or broken His promises to them. The very fact that the people of Israel is back in the land of Israel after being scattered to the "4 corners of the earth" for nearly 2000 years; still having the Hebrew language (which almost died out completely during the middle ages) and that they have not totally assimilated completely is proof to me that God is still faithful to His people Israel. Israel is not that numerous of a people group and the fact they still exist is rather amazing. Just look what has happened to Native Americans in just a few generations.

If you want to read more about the Gospel and how it pertains to Jews and Christians, you are welcome to read my post on another thread where I copied the first chapter of the book, The Mystery of the Gospel by Daniel Lancaster. Here it is, if you want to check it out: http://forums.christiansunite.com/index.php?board=3;action=display;threadid=5004

'Sing & be glad, Daughter of Zion! For behold, I am coming & I will dwell in your midst, says the Lord. Many nations will join themselves to the Lord on that day & they will become a people unto Me; & I will dwell in your midst. Then you will know that the Lord sent me to you.'
Brother Love
Gold Member

"FAITH ALONE IN CHRIST ALONE"

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2004, 06:23:56 AM »

-SS

SS Smiley

WHAT DO YOU SEE?

« Last Edit: September 24, 2004, 06:03:06 PM by Brother Love » Logged

THINGS THAT DIFFER By C.R. Stam
Read it on line for "FREE"

http://www.geocities.com/protestantscot/ttd/ttd_chap1.html

<Smiley))><
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

More From ChristiansUnite...    About Us | Privacy Policy | | ChristiansUnite.com Site Map | Statement of Beliefs

Copyright © 1999-2019 ChristiansUnite.com. All rights reserved.
Please send your questions, comments, or bug reports to the