Webmasters
• Christian Guestbooks
• Banner Exchange
• Dynamic Content

Subscribe to our Free Newsletter.
Enter your email address:

ChristiansUnite
Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 24, 2024, 05:26:51 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Our Lord Jesus Christ loves you.
286803 Posts in 27568 Topics by 3790 Members
Latest Member: Goodwin
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  ChristiansUnite Forums
|-+  Theology
| |-+  General Theology (Moderator: admin)
| | |-+  No Protestants left
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 Go Down Print
Author Topic: No Protestants left  (Read 12228 times)
Silver Surfer

View Profile
« on: September 01, 2004, 01:21:26 PM »

#1.)  "Reason and common sense demand the acceptance of one or the other of these alternatives: either protestants and the keeping holy Saturday, or Catholisim and the keeping of Sunday.
 Compromise is impossible"
(The Catholic Mirror, December 23, 1893)

#2.)  "Sunday is a Catholic institution, and its claims to observe can be defended only on Catholic principles....From the beginning of scripture to end of scripture there is not a single passage thatr warrents the transfer of weekly public meetings from the 7th day of the week to the 1st day of the week".
(Catholic Press, Sydney, Australia, August 1900).

#3.)  "It is well to remind Baptists, Methodists, presbyterians, and all other Christians that the Bible does not support them anywhere in their observance of Sunday.
Sunday is an institution of the Roman Catholic Church, and those who observe the day observe a commandment of the Catholic Church".
(Priest Brady, in an addres, reported in Elizabeth, N.J. 'News', March 18, 1903).

#4.)  "Protestants....accept Sunday rather than Saturday as the day for public worship after the Catholic church made the change (Daniel 7:25....'think to change times and laws').
But ther protestant mind does not seem to realize that in observing the Sunday, they are accepting the authority of the spokesman for the church....the Pope".
(Our Sunday Visitor, February 5, 1950).

#5.)  "If protestants would follow the Bible, they should worship God on the Sabbath day. In keeping with the Sunday they are following a law of the Catholic church".
(Albert Smith, Chancellor of the Archdiocese of Baltimore, replying for the Cardinal, in a letter dated February 10, 1920).

Jesus said: "Why do you transgress the commandment of God by your traditions ?"

"BUT IN VAIN...do they worship me, teaching for doctrines the commandments of men", (Matthew 15:3,9).

QUESTION:  Are there any protestants left ?
Brother Love
Gold Member

"FAITH ALONE IN CHRIST ALONE"

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2004, 02:02:28 PM »

"Sunday is a Catholic institution Grin

Nope, my Apostle Paul meet on the first day of the week (((((SUNDAY)))))

I am NOT a roman catholic Grin and I am sure NOT one of those protestants Smiley I am just a Bible Believer.

<Smiley))><

THINGS THAT DIFFER By C.R. Stam
Read it on line for "FREE"

http://www.geocities.com/protestantscot/ttd/ttd_chap1.html

<Smiley))><
Silver Surfer

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2004, 02:21:13 PM »

I am NOT a roman catholic Grin and I am sure NOT one of those protestants Smiley I am just a Bible Believer.

<Smiley))><
A Bible believer is one who follows What Christ says and does.
Jesus Christ said: "IF..you love me, keep my commandments", (John 14:15).

And Christ wrote the 4th commandment:
"REMEMBER the Sabbath day, to keep it Holy.", (Exodus 20:8-11).

Jesus also said: "Why call me, Lord, Lord, and not do the things I say ?, (Luke 6:46).
Brother Love
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2004, 02:28:58 PM »

<Smiley))><

Jesus also said: "Why call me, Lord, Lord, and not do the things I say ?, (Luke 6:46).

Old Testament verses.

I am under Gods GRACE, NOT Law

24/7

<Smiley))><

<Smiley))><
Silver Surfer

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2004, 05:44:01 PM »

<Smiley))><

Old Testament verses.

I am under Gods GRACE, NOT Law

24/7

<Smiley))><
GRACE: "By whom we have received grace....for OBEDIENCE...to the faith, among all nations", (Romans 1:5).

GRACE:  "Shall we continue in sin...that grace may abound ?
 "GOD FORBID"
"How shall we (Christians) that are dead to sin, live any longer therein ?", (Romans 6:1,2).
(NOTE: Breaking God's commandments is sin, 1 John 3:4.....Romans 7:7).

Jesus said, 'go and sin no more', (John 5:14....8:11).

*****"For sin shall not have dominion over you, because we are not under the Law, but under Grace.
"What then ?
"Shall we sin (breaking God's commandments), because we are not under the Law ?, but under grace ?
 "GOD FORBID", (Romans 6:14,15)***************
BigD
« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2004, 07:53:42 PM »

PART 1

I AM NOT A CATHOLIC! I AM NOT AN ISRAELITE! I AM A MEMBER OF THE BODY OF CHIRST!

The following is taken from a 1994 copy of "THE GRACE JOURNAL", by Pastor Richard Jordan. (footnotes not included)

WHO CHANGED THE SABBATH?
"Remember the Sabbath day, to keep it holy."—Exodus 20:8

In many church gatherings the fourth commandment of the Decalogue is publicly read each week. Generally those who observe this practice call Sunday the Sabbath, and yet when pressed as to why they "keep" the first day of the week rather than the seventh, Sunday instead of Saturday, confusion quickly sets in. While a few argue for Saturday, most seem to think that the Sabbath has been changed and that now Sunday is the so-called "Christian Sabbath." But has the Sabbath Day indeed been changed? and is Sunday really now the Sabbath? Let us see what God's Word says on this subject.

Although many who seek to observe the Sabbath are not readily familiar with Exodus 31, this chapter contains one of the most descriptive and instructive passages in the Bible on the subject of sabbath day observance.

"And the Lord spake unto Moses, saying,
"Speak thou also unto the children of Israel, saying, Verily my sabbaths ye shall keep: for IT IS A SIGN BETWEEN ME AND YOU throughout your generations; THAT YE MAY KNOW THAT I AM THE LORD THAT DOTH SANCTIFY YOU.
"Ye shall keep the Sabbath therefore; for it is holy unto you: every one that defileth it shall surely be put to death: for whosoever doeth any work therein, that soul shall be cut off from among his people.
"SIX DAYS MAY WORK BE DONE; BUT IN THE SEVENTH IS THE SABBATH OF REST, HOLY TO THE LORD: whosoever doeth any work in the sabbath day, he shall surely be put to death.
"Wherefore the children of Israel shall keep the sabbath, to observe the sabbath throughout their generations, FOR A PERPETUAL COVENANT.
"IT IS A SIGN BETWEEN ME AND THE CHILDREN OF ISRAEL FOR EVER: for in six days the Lord made heaven and earth, and on the seventh day He rested, and was refreshed.
"And He gave unto Moses, when He had made an end of communing with him upon Mount Sinai, two tables of testimony, tables of stone, written with the finger of God" (Exodus 31:12-18).

Here Moses clearly shows that sabbath day observance was "a sign" between the Lord and the children of Israel (vs. 13,17; cf. Ezekiel 20:20) to be kept throughout their generations, that Israel might know that "I am the Lord that doth sanctify you."

The "sabbath of rest" was to be kept holy unto the Lord" as a ceremonial observance1, given as a perpetual reminder of Israel's covenant relationship with and separation to the Lord. Recall His words to them through Moses:

"Ye have seen what I did unto the Egyptians, and how I bare you on eagles' wings, and brought you unto myself.
"Now therefore, if ye will obey My voice indeed, and keep My covenant, then ye shall be a peculiar treasure unto Me above all people: for all the earth is Mine:
"And ye shall be unto Me a kingdom of priests, and an holy nation. These are the words which thou shalt speak unto the children of Israel" (Exodus 19:4-6).

Israel was to be His "peculiar treasure," and as such He reminded them of their place, privilege and responsibility by this "sign" of sabbath day observance. There is not one line of Scripture to indicate that God gave the observance of the sabbath to anyone but Israel. In fact, the Scriptures seem to indicate that it was not given to anyone before Moses, for we read in Nehemiah 9:13,14:

"Thou camest down also upon Mount Sinai, and spakest with them from heaven, and gavest them right judgments, and true laws, good statutes and commandments:
"And MADEST KNOWN UNTO THEM THY HOLY SABBATH, and commandedst them precepts, statutes and laws, BY THE HAND OF MOSES THY SERVANT."

AN INTEGRAL PART OF THE LAW

The observance of the sabbath day, then, was a part of the law given through Moses, and this explains both the exacting instructions and the severe penalties which accompany it.

A particular day was to be kept, not merely "one in seven." "The seventh is the sabbath of rest" (Exodus 31:15). And so demanding were the accompanying regulations that later Israel was told,

"Ye shall kindle no fire throughout your habitations upon the Sabbath day" (Exodus 35:3).

This would make cooking the sabbath day dinner a bit difficult—to say nothing of keeping warm in the winter! From passages like Exodus 16:22-26 it appears that they were to make all the necessary preparations for the sabbath of rest on the previous day so as not to be in violation of these exacting regulations.

And the penalty for breaking this "holy sabbath" was equally heavy:

"...everyone that defileth it shall surely be put to death: for whosoever doeth any work therein, that soul shall be cut off from among his people.
"...whosoever doeth any work in the sabbath day, he shall surely be put to death" (Exodus 31:14,15).

In Numbers 15:32-36 we see this sentence swiftly carried out against a man "that gathered sticks upon the sabbath day"—possibly to "kindle a fire."

One reason the sabbath day was used as a "sign" of the Mosaic Covenant is intimated in the words:

"...for in six days the Lord made heaven and earth, and on the seventh day He rested, and was refreshed" (Exodus 31:17).

Just as God had perfected His work of creation in six days and then "rested and was refreshed," in like manner He had given Israel a work to do as His representative nation—His witness before the nations—and this work was to result in the promised "times of refreshing" (Acts 3:19). Israel's sabbath day was, of course, only a type of that coming day of kingdom blessing and rest, the future age when this groaning creation shall finally be "delivered from the bondage of corruption" and find true rest. Concerning that time we are told:

"Then judgment shall dwell in the wilderness, and righteousness remain in the fruitful field.
"And the work of righteousness shall be peace; and the effect of righteousness quietness and assurance forever.
"And My people shall dwell in a peaceable habitation, and in sure dwellings, and in quiet resting places" (Isaiah 32:16-18).

To be cont'd in PART 2

God Bless.
Live Well, Laugh Often and Love the Lord!
BigD
« Reply #6 on: September 01, 2004, 07:55:53 PM »

PART 2
"WHO CHANGED THE SABBATH", by Richard Jordan.

ISRAEL'S FAILURE

Israel failed sadly in her responsibility. Thus when our lord appeared on the scene He was forced to lament even over the temple itself:

"...Is it not written, My house shall be called of all nations the house of prayer? But ye have made it a den of thieves" (Mark 11:17).

Hence, in a touching invitation, we see Him offering Himself to those who so futilely labored under the "burden" of keeping the Law:

"Come unto me, all ye that labor and are heavy laden, and I WILL GIVE YOU REST.
"Take My yoke upon you, and learn of Me; for I am meek and lowly in heart: and YE SHALL FIND REST UNTO YOUR SOULS.
"For My yoke is easy, and My burden is light" (Matthew 11:28-30).

Israel's only hope of finding her true sabbath of rest lay in her Messiah, "the Lord of the sabbath." Here it is interesting to note that the Scripture's first mention of "rest" is found after the completion of creation (Genesis 2:1-3). But God's rest was soon broken, for in the very next chapter we see Him seeking fallen man and working in his behalf, slaying an innocent animal to provide him a covering.

Thus our Lord came to Israel to "seek that which was lost," and saying:

"...My Father worketh hitherto, and [now] I work" (John 5:17).

How touching to hear His words to the Father on the eve of His crucifixion: "I have finished the work which thou gavest me to do" (John 17:4), and then, as He hung upon the cross His cry:

"...IT IS FINISHED: and He bowed His head, and gave up the ghost" (John 19:30).

Indeed, He had finished redemption's work by His all-sufficient sacrifice for sin. Hence Hebrews 10:12 says:

"...After He had offered one sacrifice for sins for ever, [He] SAT DOWN ON THE RIGHT HAND OF GOD."

How blessed!! Our Lord "sat down"—for the work was completed, finished, with nothing left undone.

OUR REST

"There remaineth therefore a rest to the people of God.
"For he that is entered into His rest, he also hath ceased from his own works, as God did from His" (Hebrews 4:9,10).

Just as God rested in his perfect work of creation; just as our Lord Jesus Christ ascended and sat down to rest in His perfect work of redemption; just so, we are now bidden to "enter into His rest."

Today, Christ is the believer's only Sabbath, our only resting place. We ceased from our labors, not on the sabbath day, but the very moment we enter by faith into "His rest," the result of His finished work at Calvary, where He died "the Just for the unjust, that He might bring us to God."

And what about "sabbath day observance" today? Galatians 3:19 tells us that the Law was added "till" something happened—and this something has happened. "We were kept under the law," the Apostle says, "shut up unto the faith which should afterwards be revealed" (Galatians 3:23). But now with the revelation of the mystery through Paul that faith has come, and thus Paul declares by divine inspiration:

"BUT NOW the righteousness of God WITHOUT THE LAW is manifested…
"To declare, I say, AT THIS TIME His righteousness: that He might be just, and the Justifier of him which believeth in Jesus" (Romans 3:21,26; cf. Galatians 3:23-25).

And it is Paul who goes on further to say:

"FOR CHRIST IS THE END OF THE LAW FOR RIGHTEOUSNESS to everyone that believeth" (Romans 10:4).

"Let no man therefore judge you in meat, or in drink, or in respect of an holyday, or of the new moon, or of the sabbath days:
"Which are a shadow of things to come; but the body is of Christ" (Colossians 2:16,17).

Who changed the Sabbath? Well, "the sabbath day" remains unchanged; it is still the seventh day, Saturday. However, God Himself has changed the sabbath—our resting place—from a day to a person. Now we are to rest in Him who died for our sins and rose again as proof that the debt is fully paid.

This no doubt explains why the Scriptures show Paul and the disciples meeting on "the first day of the week" (Acts 20:7, cf. I Corinthians 16:2). Thus, meeting on the day of His resurrection, they celebrated His finished work of redemption and their new-found "life in Christ Jesus."

And so it is with us. Ah, but this is seldom a "day of rest for us—far from it! Rather we will gladly toil right through Sunday that others may "find rest in Him."

A CLOSING WORD

Believers today are, of course, free to set aside any particular day for special worship and study. In the dispensation of grace, no day is set above any other. Hence Paul wrote to the Roman Christians:

"One man esteemeth one day above another: another esteemeth every day alike. Let every man be fully persuaded in his own mind.
"He that regardeth the day, regardeth it unto the Lord; and he that regardeth not the day, to the Lord he doth not regard it" (Romans 14:5,6).

Down through Church history, and even in some lands today, believers have found it very difficult to set aside a definite time for Christian fellowship, Bible study and worship services. How we should praise God for the privilege so freely given to us in the "land of the free" to have a regular day each week which we can devote more wholly to the worship and service of Christ. And how sad to see increasing multitudes of believers forsaking the assembling of the saints, and using even this opportunity for their own pleasure and enjoyment. Surely all excuses for such behavior become insignificant and meaningless when placed alongside the faithfulness of the One who gave His all for us.

Rather than using our liberty "for an occasion to the flesh," may we "by love serve one another" (Galatians 5:13), taking to heart Paul's exhortation:

"Wherefore he saith, Awake thou that sleepest, and arise from the dead, and Christ shall give thee light.
"See then that ye walk circumspectly, not as fools, but as wise,
"Redeeming the time, because the days are evil" (Ephesians 5:14-16)

God Bless.
Silver Surfer

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 01, 2004, 09:09:44 PM »

God means what He says:
"And hallow my sabbaths, and they shall be a sign between me and you...that you...may know that I AM the LORD your God", (Ezekiel 20:20).

And please people....don't get caught up in the sabbath, is Jewish thing.

WHY ?

Because God blessed the 7th day Sabbath...and made it HOLY, (Genesis 2:2,3) ...some 2300 years...'BEFORE', there ever was a Jew !
BigD
« Reply #8 on: September 01, 2004, 09:26:09 PM »

God means what He says:
"And hallow my sabbaths, and they shall be a sign between me and you...that you...may know that I AM the LORD your God", (Ezekiel 20:20).

WHY ?

Because God blessed the 7th day Sabbath...and made it HOLY, (Genesis 2:2,3) ...some 2300 years...'BEFORE', there ever was a Jew !

BigD responds:
WHY? Because I am not Jewish and Israel is presently set aside.

Exodus 31:17,18 says:
"IT IS A SIGN BETWEEN ME AND THE CHILDREN OF ISRAEL FOR EVER: for in six days the Lord made heaven and earth, and on the seventh day He rested, and was refreshed.
"And He gave unto Moses, when He had made an end of communing with him upon Mount Sinai, two tables of testimony, tables of stone, written with the finger of God" (Exodus 31:12-18).

Prior to God telling Moses that the children of Isreal should keep the Sabbath Day; Can you SHOW ME any Scripture that says that the 7th day was observed by anyone? Chapter and verse please.

I wonder how many SDA members break the Sabbath travel Laws in order to attend church services? Do you know of any?

God Bless.
Silver Surfer

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 01, 2004, 10:21:38 PM »

God means what He says:

WHY ?

BigD responds:
"IT IS A SIGN BETWEEN ME AND THE CHILDREN OF ISRAEL FOR EVER:
"But he is a jew, which is one inwardly...in the heart, in spirit, and not of the letter...but of God", (Romans 2:29).
Prior to God telling Moses that the children of Isreal should keep the Sabbath Day; Can you SHOW ME any Scripture that says that the 7th day was observed by anyone? Chapter and verse please.
"Because that Abraham obeyed my voice....my commandments...and my Laws..", (Genesis 26:5)

Now....the study of the 4th commandment shows, that God established the 7th day Sabbath, at creation time (Exodus 20:11)...showing the the 4th commandment dates back, to the time of the creation.
 So then...Abraham kept God's commandments and laws as scripture says.
I wonder how many SDA members break the Sabbath travel Laws in order to attend church services?
maybe some do, I don't know.
But, God identifies the SDA church people (true SDA's) in Revelation 12:17, and in Revelation 14:12.

Brother Love
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 02, 2004, 04:47:11 AM »

PART 1

I AM NOT A CATHOLIC! I AM NOT AN ISRAELITE! I AM A MEMBER OF THE BODY OF CHIRST!

The following is taken from a 1994 copy of "THE GRACE JOURNAL", by Pastor Richard Jordan. (footnotes not included)

WHO CHANGED THE SABBATH?
"Remember the Sabbath day, to keep it holy."—Exodus 20:8

In many church gatherings the fourth commandment of the Decalogue is publicly read each week. Generally those who observe this practice call Sunday the Sabbath, and yet when pressed as to why they "keep" the first day of the week rather than the seventh, Sunday instead of Saturday, confusion quickly sets in. While a few argue for Saturday, most seem to think that the Sabbath has been changed and that now Sunday is the so-called "Christian Sabbath." But has the Sabbath Day indeed been changed? and is Sunday really now the Sabbath? Let us see what God's Word says on this subject.

Although many who seek to observe the Sabbath are not readily familiar with Exodus 31, this chapter contains one of the most descriptive and instructive passages in the Bible on the subject of sabbath day observance.

"And the Lord spake unto Moses, saying,
"Speak thou also unto the children of Israel, saying, Verily my sabbaths ye shall keep: for IT IS A SIGN BETWEEN ME AND YOU throughout your generations; THAT YE MAY KNOW THAT I AM THE LORD THAT DOTH SANCTIFY YOU.
"Ye shall keep the Sabbath therefore; for it is holy unto you: every one that defileth it shall surely be put to death: for whosoever doeth any work therein, that soul shall be cut off from among his people.
"SIX DAYS MAY WORK BE DONE; BUT IN THE SEVENTH IS THE SABBATH OF REST, HOLY TO THE LORD: whosoever doeth any work in the sabbath day, he shall surely be put to death.
"Wherefore the children of Israel shall keep the sabbath, to observe the sabbath throughout their generations, FOR A PERPETUAL COVENANT.

Here Moses clearly shows that sabbath day observance was "a sign" between the Lord and the children of Israel (vs. 13,17; cf. Ezekiel 20:20) to be kept throughout their generations, that Israel might know that "I am the Lord that doth sanctify you."

The "sabbath of rest" was to be kept holy unto the Lord" as a ceremonial observance1, given as a perpetual reminder of Israel's covenant relationship with and separation to the Lord. Recall His words to them through Moses:

"Ye have seen what I did unto the Egyptians, and how I bare you on eagles' wings, and brought you unto myself.
"Now therefore, if ye will obey My voice indeed, and keep My covenant, then ye shall be a peculiar treasure unto Me above all people: for all the earth is Mine:
"And ye shall be unto Me a kingdom of priests, and an holy nation. These are the words which thou shalt speak unto the children of Israel" (Exodus 19:4-6).

Israel was to be His "peculiar treasure," and as such He reminded them of their place, privilege and responsibility by this "sign" of sabbath day observance. There is not one line of Scripture to indicate that God gave the observance of the sabbath to anyone but Israel. In fact, the Scriptures seem to indicate that it was not given to anyone before Moses, for we read in Nehemiah 9:13,14:

"Thou camest down also upon Mount Sinai, and spakest with them from heaven, and gavest them right judgments, and true laws, good statutes and commandments:
"And MADEST KNOWN UNTO THEM THY HOLY SABBATH, and commandedst them precepts, statutes and laws, BY THE HAND OF MOSES THY SERVANT."

AN INTEGRAL PART OF THE LAW

The observance of the sabbath day, then, was a part of the law given through Moses, and this explains both the exacting instructions and the severe penalties which accompany it.

A particular day was to be kept, not merely "one in seven." "The seventh is the sabbath of rest" (Exodus 31:15). And so demanding were the accompanying regulations that later Israel was told,

"Ye shall kindle no fire throughout your habitations upon the Sabbath day" (Exodus 35:3).

This would make cooking the sabbath day dinner a bit difficult—to say nothing of keeping warm in the winter! From passages like Exodus 16:22-26 it appears that they were to make all the necessary preparations for the sabbath of rest on the previous day so as not to be in violation of these exacting regulations.

And the penalty for breaking this "holy sabbath" was equally heavy:

"...everyone that defileth it shall surely be put to death: for whosoever doeth any work therein, that soul shall be cut off from among his people.
"...whosoever doeth any work in the sabbath day, he shall surely be put to death" (Exodus 31:14,15).

In Numbers 15:32-36 we see this sentence swiftly carried out against a man "that gathered sticks upon the sabbath day"—possibly to "kindle a fire."

One reason the sabbath day was used as a "sign" of the Mosaic Covenant is intimated in the words:

"...for in six days the Lord made heaven and earth, and on the seventh day He rested, and was refreshed" (Exodus 31:17).

Just as God had perfected His work of creation in six days and then "rested and was refreshed," in like manner He had given Israel a work to do as His representative nation—His witness before the nations—and this work was to result in the promised "times of refreshing" (Acts 3:19). Israel's sabbath day was, of course, only a type of that coming day of kingdom blessing and rest, the future age when this groaning creation shall finally be "delivered from the bondage of corruption" and find true rest. Concerning that time we are told:

"Then judgment shall dwell in the wilderness, and righteousness remain in the fruitful field.
"And the work of righteousness shall be peace; and the effect of righteousness quietness and assurance forever.
"And My people shall dwell in a peaceable habitation, and in sure dwellings, and in quiet resting places" (Isaiah 32:16-18).

To be cont'd in PART 2

God Bless.

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAMEN!!!!!!!

<Smiley))><

<Smiley))><
Brother Love
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 02, 2004, 05:16:42 AM »

PART 2
"WHO CHANGED THE SABBATH", by Richard Jordan.

ISRAEL'S FAILURE

Israel failed sadly in her responsibility. Thus when our lord appeared on the scene He was forced to lament even over the temple itself:

"...Is it not written, My house shall be called of all nations the house of prayer? But ye have made it a den of thieves" (Mark 11:17).

Hence, in a touching invitation, we see Him offering Himself to those who so futilely labored under the "burden" of keeping the Law:

"Come unto me, all ye that labor and are heavy laden, and I WILL GIVE YOU REST.
"Take My yoke upon you, and learn of Me; for I am meek and lowly in heart: and YE SHALL FIND REST UNTO YOUR SOULS.
"For My yoke is easy, and My burden is light" (Matthew 11:28-30).

Israel's only hope of finding her true sabbath of rest lay in her Messiah, "the Lord of the sabbath." Here it is interesting to note that the Scripture's first mention of "rest" is found after the completion of creation (Genesis 2:1-3). But God's rest was soon broken, for in the very next chapter we see Him seeking fallen man and working in his behalf, slaying an innocent animal to provide him a covering.

Thus our Lord came to Israel to "seek that which was lost," and saying:

"...My Father worketh hitherto, and [now] I work" (John 5:17).

How touching to hear His words to the Father on the eve of His crucifixion: "I have finished the work which thou gavest me to do" (John 17:4), and then, as He hung upon the cross His cry:

"...IT IS FINISHED: and He bowed His head, and gave up the ghost" (John 19:30).

Indeed, He had finished redemption's work by His all-sufficient sacrifice for sin. Hence Hebrews 10:12 says:

"...After He had offered one sacrifice for sins for ever, [He] SAT DOWN ON THE RIGHT HAND OF GOD."

How blessed!! Our Lord "sat down"—for the work was completed, finished, with nothing left undone.

OUR REST

"There remaineth therefore a rest to the people of God.
"For he that is entered into His rest, he also hath ceased from his own works, as God did from His" (Hebrews 4:9,10).

Just as God rested in his perfect work of creation; just as our Lord Jesus Christ ascended and sat down to rest in His perfect work of redemption; just so, we are now bidden to "enter into His rest."

Today, Christ is the believer's only Sabbath, our only resting place. We ceased from our labors, not on the sabbath day, but the very moment we enter by faith into "His rest," the result of His finished work at Calvary, where He died "the Just for the unjust, that He might bring us to God."

And what about "sabbath day observance" today? Galatians 3:19 tells us that the Law was added "till" something happened—and this something has happened. "We were kept under the law," the Apostle says, "shut up unto the faith which should afterwards be revealed" (Galatians 3:23). But now with the revelation of the mystery through Paul that faith has come, and thus Paul declares by divine inspiration:

"BUT NOW the righteousness of God WITHOUT THE LAW is manifested…
"To declare, I say, AT THIS TIME His righteousness: that He might be just, and the Justifier of him which believeth in Jesus" (Romans 3:21,26; cf. Galatians 3:23-25).

And it is Paul who goes on further to say:

"FOR CHRIST IS THE END OF THE LAW FOR RIGHTEOUSNESS to everyone that believeth" (Romans 10:4).

"Let no man therefore judge you in meat, or in drink, or in respect of an holyday, or of the new moon, or of the sabbath days:
"Which are a shadow of things to come; but the body is of Christ" (Colossians 2:16,17).

Who changed the Sabbath? Well, "the sabbath day" remains unchanged; it is still the seventh day, Saturday. However, God Himself has changed the sabbath—our resting place—from a day to a person. Now we are to rest in Him who died for our sins and rose again as proof that the debt is fully paid.

This no doubt explains why the Scriptures show Paul and the disciples meeting on "the first day of the week" (Acts 20:7, cf. I Corinthians 16:2). Thus, meeting on the day of His resurrection, they celebrated His finished work of redemption and their new-found "life in Christ Jesus."

And so it is with us. Ah, but this is seldom a "day of rest for us—far from it! Rather we will gladly toil right through Sunday that others may "find rest in Him."

A CLOSING WORD

Believers today are, of course, free to set aside any particular day for special worship and study. In the dispensation of grace, no day is set above any other. Hence Paul wrote to the Roman Christians:

"One man esteemeth one day above another: another esteemeth every day alike. Let every man be fully persuaded in his own mind.
"He that regardeth the day, regardeth it unto the Lord; and he that regardeth not the day, to the Lord he doth not regard it" (Romans 14:5,6).

Down through Church history, and even in some lands today, believers have found it very difficult to set aside a definite time for Christian fellowship, Bible study and worship services. How we should praise God for the privilege so freely given to us in the "land of the free" to have a regular day each week which we can devote more wholly to the worship and service of Christ. And how sad to see increasing multitudes of believers forsaking the assembling of the saints, and using even this opportunity for their own pleasure and enjoyment. Surely all excuses for such behavior become insignificant and meaningless when placed alongside the faithfulness of the One who gave His all for us.

Rather than using our liberty "for an occasion to the flesh," may we "by love serve one another" (Galatians 5:13), taking to heart Paul's exhortation:

"Wherefore he saith, Awake thou that sleepest, and arise from the dead, and Christ shall give thee light.
"See then that ye walk circumspectly, not as fools, but as wise,
"Redeeming the time, because the days are evil" (Ephesians 5:14-16)

God Bless.

And AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAMEN!!!!

<Smiley))><

<Smiley))><
Brother Love
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 02, 2004, 05:17:50 AM »

God means what He says:

WHY ?

BigD responds:

I wonder how many SDA members break the Sabbath travel Laws in order to attend church services? Do you know of any?

God Bless.

Thanks BigD, Amen Brother

<Smiley))><

<Smiley))><
Brother Love
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 02, 2004, 05:20:26 AM »

Silver Surfer Isn’t today a good day...  

http://forums.christiansunite.com/index.php?board=3;action=display;threadid=4919

<Smiley))><

<Smiley))><
BigD
« Reply #14 on: September 02, 2004, 09:07:27 AM »

PART 1
Silver Surfer posted:
God means what He says:

WHY ?

BigD responded:

"IT IS A SIGN BETWEEN ME AND THE CHILDREN OF ISRAEL FOR EVER: for in six days the Lord made heaven and earth, and on the seventh day He rested, and was refreshed. And He gave unto Moses, when He had made an end of communing with him upon Mount Sinai, two tables of testimony, tables of stone, written with the finger of God"

Silver Surfer replies:
"But he is a jew, which is one inwardly...in the heart, in spirit, and not of the letter...but of God", (Romans 2:29).

BigD replies back:
The roots of all believers go back to Abram/Abraham.

In Romans 4:1-3 Paul is writing to believers and there are, no doubt, believing Jews among them. " What shall we say then that Abraham our father, as pertaing to the flesh, hath found? For if Abraham were justified by works, he hath whereof to glory; but not before God. For what sayeth the scriptures? Abraham believed God, and it was counted unto him for righteousness."

Paul is refering back to Genesis 15:5,6 before Abram's name was changed to Abraham and before he was commanded to be circumcised. We can see here that Abram was saved/justified just by believing God - FAITH ALONE.  This is how the believer is saved/justified in this dispensation of grace.

Now I will admit that in Genesis 2:2,3 that God did bless the 7th day and make it HOLY, HOWEVER, there is no record in the "some 2300 years" prior to Exodus 16 that the 7th day (Sabbath) was ever required to be kept. PLEASE SHOW ME if I am in error. CHAPTER AND VERSE PLEASE.

It was after the gentile Abram was given the Jewish name of Abraham and commanded to be circumcised that we find James saying in his Epistle 2:21-24 that Abraham was justified by FAITH + WORKS.

While God was dealing with Israel, as a nation, deed/works were the vehicle God used for the children of Israel to demonstarate their FAITH.

I have said all of the above to show that the roots of all believer go back to Abram/Abraham.

Under "CIRCUMCISION AND THE LAW", Chapter 2, in his commentary on Romans, Pastor C.R. Stam says the following:
Circumcision was the token of the covenant God made with Abraham, the rite that separated Israel from the wicked and licentious Gentiles. It spoke of separation to God and death to the flesh and its passions. Under Moses it became part of the Law. This is why circumcision and the Law are so often referred to together (e.g., Acts 15:1,5; Gal. 5:3). Thus the Apostle says:

"For circumcision verily profiteth if thou keep the law: but if thou be a breaker of the law, thy circumcision is made uncircumcision" (Ver. 25).

This is self-evident, and it explains why Paul wrote to the Galatians, who were tempted to submit to this religious rite:

"I testify again to every man that is circumcised37 that he is a debtor to do the whole law” (Gal. 5:3).

What good to possess the sign without that which it is supposed to signify? Surely the mere possession of the Law, or the mere submission to circumcision did not entitle one to special favor from God. And conversely:

"... if the uncircumcision keep the righteousness of the law, shall not his uncircumcision be counted for circumcision?" (Ver. 26).

Of course there were no Gentiles who perfectly kept the Law, but some did accept it as God's revealed will and earnestly sought to obey it. This did not save them, but it did place them in a position where God could reveal Himself to them further. We have an example of this in the case of Cornelius the centurion. In Acts 10:34,35 we have Peter saying to Cornelius and his household:

"Of a truth I perceive that God is no respecter of persons, but in every nation he that feareth Him and worketh righteousness is accepted with Him."

Peter did not mean that such were saved, for Acts 11:14 clearly indicates that Peter was sent to tell them how to be saved. What he meant, therefore, was that such God-fearing Gentiles were "accepted" by God along with the chosen race, the Circumcision, because they were sincerely trying to do what circumcision taught - and what those of the circumcision so largely failed to do. Thus the Apostle continues:

"And shall not uncircumcision, which is by nature, if it fulfil the law, judge thee, who by the letter and circumcision dost transgress the law?

"For he is not a Jew, which is one outwardly; neither is that circumcisionwhich is outward in the flesh:

"But he is a Jew, which is one inwardly; and circumcision is that of the heart, in the spirit and not in the letter; whose praise is not of men, but of God" (Vers. 27-29).

He does not mean here that the Gentiles could perfectly fulfil the Law, but that when Gentiles sought in heart to obey the Law they condemned those who boasted that they possessed the Law, but failed to sincerely obey it. So God here teaches a twofold lesson: (1) The Law cannot save sinners; it can only condemn them (cf 3:19,20). (2) Religious rites cannot save. External conformity to the rite of circumcision did not meet the true design of the requirement. In a word: Religion cannot save. Cain was religious, but lost. He brought a beautiful offering to God, but God rejected it not only because it was the wrong sacrifice, but also because it was brought in pride rather than in faith. It was no acknowledgment of sin or of the need of salvation or of faith. Millions of religious people today are likewise lost, for they have placed their trust in the Church, their character, their good works, etc., rather than in the Lord Jesus Christ as the One who "died for our sins."

The last two verses of Chapter 2 bring to mind the words of Paul in Phil. 3:3:

"For we are the circumcision, which worship God in the Spirit, and rejoice in Christ Jesus, and have no confidence in the flesh."

It does not follow from this that God has abrogated His promises to national Israel, or that these promises have been transferred to the Church today. Rather these verses teach that the outward form of religion is not acceptable to God and that He is pleased only with an inward work, the work of the Holy Spirit.

God Bless.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

More From ChristiansUnite...    About Us | Privacy Policy | | ChristiansUnite.com Site Map | Statement of Beliefs

Copyright © 1999-2019 ChristiansUnite.com. All rights reserved.
Please send your questions, comments, or bug reports to the