Webmasters
• Christian Guestbooks
• Banner Exchange
• Dynamic Content

Subscribe to our Free Newsletter.
Enter your email address:

ChristiansUnite
Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 08:36:08 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Our Lord Jesus Christ loves you.
286776 Posts in 27568 Topics by 3790 Members
Latest Member: Goodwin
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  ChristiansUnite Forums
|-+  Fellowship
| |-+  Parenting (Moderator: admin)
| | |-+  Internet rules for your family?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Internet rules for your family?  (Read 11386 times)
Allinall
Gold Member

HE is my All in All.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: October 03, 2004, 10:00:53 AM »

I trust my sons, they know right from wrong

Thank You Jesus

<Smiley))><

" Now all these things happened unto them for examples: and they are written for our admonition, upon whom the ends of the world are come.  Wherefore let him that thinketh he standeth take heed lest he fall.  There hath no temptation taken you but such as is common to man: but God is faithful, who will not suffer you to be tempted above that ye are able; but will with the temptation also make a way to escape, that ye may be able to bear it."[/i]

1 Corinthians 10:11-13

There comes a time when love over-rules trust.  I trust my daughters, but I won't leave a loaded handgun in their presence.   Smiley

"that I may know him and the power of his resurrection, and may share his sufferings, becoming like him in his death"
nChrist
Global Moderator
Gold Member

May God Lead And Guide Us All

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 03, 2004, 03:52:06 PM »

Oklahoma Howdy to All,

My children are grown, and my grandchildren are too young to worry about yet.

I would simply say that the devil is very clever, much too clever to trust with our children. For that reason alone, I believe in adult supervision when children use the Internet.

There are all kinds of things that parents can do these days with computers to make them safe for children to use. However, nothing replaces adult supervision. One can use the net nanny type programs that are fairly good. I use a child safe URL blocker on my own computer, and I don't have any children using this computer. It's only fairly good also. I don't want to see any of the x-rated advertisements in pop-ups or email.

Some parents make a web portal specifically for their children, and nothing else will work. I made a web portal for my own use, and I think it would work quite well. However, I didn't set it up to block all URL's not listed on the portal. It's like a menu done in HTML. I think that it would be pretty easy to allow only the URLs on the portal. It's also fairly easy to add URLs to the portal if the parent wishes to add more choices.

Just bluntly, I really don't like the idea of leaving children alone with the devil. If he's smart enough to make me stumble from time to time, he's certainly smart enough to hurt children. YES! - I would have the views of an old square. I gladly accept the title of an old, boring square.

Love In Christ,
Tom

sincereheart
Gold Member

"and with His stripes we are healed." Isaiah 53:5

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: October 07, 2004, 07:25:57 AM »

Thank you, sincereheart.  

I definitely agree with with the principle of the thing; I'm not so sure about the execution part of it - that is, having the kids sign it - like a contract, between parents and child?

Hmm.  Have to think about that one.

I'm guessing that the whole 'contract' idea is just to give kids an idea of the seriousness of the information. And signing it would maybe be a way to make an impression?  Undecided

But even without signing anything; just having parents sit down and discuss it with their kids should have an impact.

Symphony
Gold Member

I'm a llama!

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 07, 2004, 10:50:40 PM »

Oh definitely at least the discussion.

Somehow, having kids sign a contract with me sounds mercenary - like it's setting a precedent for the kids that when things are really serious this is how we have to arrange for 'eventualities'.

Relations between parent and child are certainly one of authority, no doubt.  

But also one of love.

Is the essence of the relationship, though, between parent and child, one of love, or one of authority?

Are there other circumstances underwhich you would have a literal contract with a child?

Maybe with a car, for a teenager - either a car they are going to have, or if they are going to 'borrow' a parents car.  Maybe then you could have a literal, written contract - and 'signed' by both.

But even then, still, since when does a parent's authority have to be signed for, with a child.

No, something, to my mind, is wrong with this picture.  

Hmm.  I could be very wrong.  Have to think about this one.  

Yes, it is a serious issue.

But I can't think of any other instance where a parent/child relationship is signed for in ink.

And noticably, it's all becuase of a contraption, or an invention, or the introduction of an alien presence(the 'Net), into the family politic.  

Hm.  There's something wrong with this picture.
Brother Love
Gold Member

"FAITH ALONE IN CHRIST ALONE"

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 11, 2004, 05:53:22 AM »

I trust my sons, they know right from wrong

Thank You Jesus

I must repeat

THINGS THAT DIFFER By C.R. Stam
Read it on line for "FREE"

http://www.geocities.com/protestantscot/ttd/ttd_chap1.html

<Smiley))><
Hurting

Trying to learn

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 17, 2004, 09:24:53 AM »

I do think it is way too strict. No offense but believe me, kids these days couldnt give a gotcha2 about what they do on the net. They go off with strange men. It's their own fault, they know what they are doing. They aint so innocent, people have to realise that.
I do agree with rules for youngsters, but keep shielding them and telling them what to do all the time is going to make kids more avoidant and they'll start to tell lies...
Pages: 1 [2] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

More From ChristiansUnite...    About Us | Privacy Policy | | ChristiansUnite.com Site Map | Statement of Beliefs

Copyright © 1999-2019 ChristiansUnite.com. All rights reserved.
Please send your questions, comments, or bug reports to the