Webmasters
• Christian Guestbooks
• Banner Exchange
• Dynamic Content

Subscribe to our Free Newsletter.
Enter your email address:

ChristiansUnite
Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 16, 2024, 04:53:22 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Our Lord Jesus Christ loves you.
286795 Posts in 27568 Topics by 3790 Members
Latest Member: Goodwin
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  ChristiansUnite Forums
|-+  Entertainment
| |-+  Computer Hardware and Software (Moderator: admin)
| | |-+  MONITORS and other comp questions
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: MONITORS and other comp questions  (Read 6573 times)
grommie

WOW!

View Profile WWW
« on: August 10, 2004, 01:53:27 AM »

Okay, well i purchased an Emachines T1400 2 years ago. In that time i have replaced the entire tower due to the brand motherboard frying.

Okay, everything it up and working now and im happy that it is. BUT now my monitor is acting crazy.

Every window on the Left Side of the screen is blurred.  Example: I have notepad up and if i position notepad to the left, everthing on the left side is blurred, but when i move it to the right, nothing is blurred.

yes it is clean, i cleaned it with a paper towel and windex.

Any ideas at all??

OS = XP home
AMD Athlon 1600 + processor
KDS Visual Sensation XF-70/XF-7e/XF-7p/XF-7i

« Last Edit: August 13, 2004, 01:31:21 PM by grommie » Logged

God is great!  Ain't he?
2nd Timothy
Gold Member

Resident Meese Master

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2004, 11:57:08 PM »

Is it, or was it near anything magnetic, like a large speaker of some sort?   If it was stored near a speaker for some time you may have damaged it.   You could try degaussing it a few times if so (should be a button for this on your monitor somewhere).  If not this, then I would say it might be time for a new monitor.

Grace and Peace!

Tim

Enslaved in service to Christ
Shammu
Global Moderator
Gold Member

B(asic) I(nstructions) B(efore) L(eaving) E(arth)

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2004, 02:08:51 AM »

Is it, or was it near anything magnetic, like a large speaker of some sort?   If it was stored near a speaker for some time you may have damaged it.   You could try degaussing it a few times if so (should be a button for this on your monitor somewhere).  If not this, then I would say it might be time for a new monitor.

Grace and Peace!
That sound about right 2T. Sad

grommie

WOW!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2004, 06:34:58 AM »

degaussing Huh  what is that??

God is great!  Ain't he?
2nd Timothy
Gold Member

Resident Meese Master

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2004, 01:40:26 PM »

DEGAUSSING -

This is basically a feature (a coil) built into most monitors which allow you to demagnitize them.    Usually a button somewhere on the monitor....if you don't see it, it might be on some sort of menu setup screen ALSO accessed by a button on the monitor.  (this has nothing to do with the PC mind you...its all on the monitor)    Some monitors will do it all by themselves when you first turn them on.   Does your monitor stay on all the time?   Something else I just thought about....I have seen, on a few monitors, a focus knob on the rear of the monitor.   Look and see if there are any tunning type knobs that are labeled on the back of the monitor.

What kind of monitor is it?

Grace and Peace!

Tim

grommie

WOW!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2004, 05:53:23 PM »

The buttons on the front are  OSD  i have no idea what that means but there is quite a selection to choose from Bright, Contrast, and a whole slew of others.

Type of monitor?   yea, i keep looking for that  emachines T1400 monitor.  i have no idea.  its just big.  =)  i will look for that specifically.

God is great!  Ain't he?
2nd Timothy
Gold Member

Resident Meese Master

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 12, 2004, 09:43:06 AM »

The buttons on the front are  OSD  i have no idea what that means but there is quite a selection to choose from Bright, Contrast, and a whole slew of others.

Yes, that it!  OSD.  You should see an option in there that says Degauss.  Select that a time or two and see if it helps any.  

Tim

sincereheart
Gold Member

"and with His stripes we are healed." Isaiah 53:5

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: August 12, 2004, 11:34:39 AM »

Don't know if I was the only one lost with that word!  Lips Sealed

Ever wonder what that "degauss" button on your monitor does besides make a buzzing noise and cause the screen to go crazy for a second? Though that's its main purpose, the degauss button has another useful feature. To understand it, you'll first need to know that the earth has natural magnetic fields. The magnetic charges from these fields can build up inside your monitor, causing a loss of color accuracy. Degaussing scares the bad magnetism out of the monitor and fills it with good karma. If your monitor doesn't have a degauss button, fear not -- many new monitors automatically degauss themselves. If you have a flat-panel display, there is no degauss button because magnetism doesn't build up in flat screen displays.

grommie

WOW!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: August 12, 2004, 02:44:54 PM »

Thanks  people!

as well as for the educated quote.  its good to know!

woot!  

God is great!  Ain't he?
grommie

WOW!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: August 13, 2004, 01:30:07 PM »

I have been getting the following and i did not want to make a new thread for it, as i dont want to clutter up the forum.

System is working good except for the following i have no idea

1.  What is  the following error message i get at every start up:

S32EVEN1.DLL and SYMEVENT.SYS  DO NOT MATCH

should i be concerned with that??

2.  For some reason WIndows is performing DISK CHECK at every single start up and it does not allow the Norton Auto Protect to run on my computer at all.  SHould i re-install Norton Sys Works?

3.  What is ctfmon  and how do i get rid of it or should i just leave it alone.  it is in the startup and i have run MSCONFIG to stop all but the Norton stuff to run at that time.

ctfmon says its in my WINDOWS/SYS/REG   but i have been in regedit and though i touch nothing, i still could not find ctfmon.

God is great!  Ain't he?
Gracey

...still just a child

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: August 13, 2004, 03:00:52 PM »

Hi grommie, here's a little info:

The first link refers to a conflict between S32EVNT1.DLL and SYMEVENT.SYS. This appears to be a conflict betwen the .dll file and the system file. Have you recently done a live update with Norton? It is apparently known for these problems.

The problems discussed on these sites may not be exactly the same, but they should give you an idea of how to correct your problem or where to go for answers.

http://answers.tveasy.co.uk/m.p.w.general/S32EVNT1DLL-Sdnmem.htm
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=239415

ctfmon is a system that monitors the "windows" on your desktop. It is part of the windows programming and may be in a protected file. See here:

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?kbid=282599

Don't reinstall anything from Norton until you go and check on it first. Sometimes doing a reinstall over the old stuff (Norton) can cause even more problems. Go to the Symantec website and check on how to correct your current problems before you try a reinstall. If you need to reinstall it's probably better to "uninstall" (clean the registry too, if you know how), then reinstall fresh.

I hope some of that helps.

Gracey

†† Guided by God ††
grommie

WOW!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: August 13, 2004, 05:24:32 PM »

thanks  i will keep all that in mind.

God is great!  Ain't he?
Shammu
Global Moderator
Gold Member

B(asic) I(nstructions) B(efore) L(eaving) E(arth)

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: August 14, 2004, 12:14:52 AM »

I would get rid of Norton, norton has alot of problems. I run AVG 6.0 anti-virus now. The best thing about AVG...................

Its free, and you can update it weekly. I have been running AVG for the past 2 months. I have never had a problem with dlls, or sys. When I ran Norton my system was locking up and crashing.I use to have Norton, I had so many problems it was to the point, I was ready to blow up my computer. Since I haven't reloaded Norton, I haven't had any problems.
Norton was the cause of my computer locking up, and crashing. I will never use Norton again!!

Gracey

...still just a child

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: August 14, 2004, 05:43:00 AM »

I heartily agree with you DW....

I currently am using AVG (and have installed it for many friends/family in the past year), prior to that I used Trend PC-cillan. I find both to be waaaay better (less problematic, that is) than Norton.

Gracey

†† Guided by God ††
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

More From ChristiansUnite...    About Us | Privacy Policy | | ChristiansUnite.com Site Map | Statement of Beliefs

Copyright © 1999-2019 ChristiansUnite.com. All rights reserved.
Please send your questions, comments, or bug reports to the