Webmasters
• Christian Guestbooks
• Banner Exchange
• Dynamic Content

Subscribe to our Free Newsletter.
Enter your email address:

ChristiansUnite
Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 26, 2024, 04:20:26 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Our Lord Jesus Christ loves you.
286806 Posts in 27568 Topics by 3790 Members
Latest Member: Goodwin
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  ChristiansUnite Forums
|-+  Theology
| |-+  Debate (Moderator: admin)
| | |-+  When does life begin?
« previous next »
Poll
Question: When does life begin?
Conception - 6 (75%)
Implantation - 0 (0%)
1 month after conception - 0 (0%)
Some time in the first trimester - 0 (0%)
Some time in the second trimester - 0 (0%)
Some time in the third trimester - 0 (0%)
Birth - 0 (0%)
Undecided - 2 (25%)
Total Voters: 7

Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: When does life begin?  (Read 2340 times)
His_child

Jesus is the Way, the Truth and the Life!

View Profile
« on: July 25, 2004, 04:00:06 PM »

Some people have a hard time figuring out when a human becomes a human.
When do you believe life begins and why do you feel that way?

I'm not following a God that's imagined.
Can't invent His deity.
That's why Jesus is the final answer
To Who I want my God to be.
He's Who I want my God to be.
-  Who? by Peter Furler and Steve Taylor (Newsboys)
Shammu
Global Moderator
Gold Member

B(asic) I(nstructions) B(efore) L(eaving) E(arth)

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2004, 05:56:16 PM »

Life beginns at Conception, when cells start dividing. Cells are alive.

ollie
Gold Member

Being born again, .....by the word of God,

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2004, 06:23:36 PM »

When a sperm enters the egg,
How can it not be life and grow and develop. If the fetus has no life at conception how does it have life at birth? The very development of the fertilized egg is proof of life at the moment of conception. God has not set in place physical life to come from something physically dead during the gestation period. It just does not compute.

Ollie

Support your local Christian.
Bronzesnake
« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2004, 06:31:20 PM »

Sperm are alive.
I think the real question here should be - When does the soul enter the human... I agree with DW and Ollie. At conception

The issue here is obvious. Abortion of convenience is murder.

Bronzesnake
Reba
« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2004, 07:04:20 PM »

Sperm are alive.
I think the real question here should be - When does the soul enter the human... I agree with DW and Ollie. At conception

Bronzesnake
What of an inconvenient abortion?
Bronzesnake
« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2004, 07:56:01 PM »

Sperm are alive.

Bronzesnake
What of an inconvenient abortion?

I hope you're joking Reeb!  Huh

I think you are, but just in case, let me clarify.
If a woman's life is in jeopardy, then I believe God would permit an abortion. If a woman simply doesn't want to be pregnant, and decides to abort - that's murder - especially when adoption is an option.
I believe no one has a right to tell a woman what to do with her own body. I also believe no one has a right to kill the child, which is a seperate life, and not part of the woman's own body. It is "in" her body, not "her body"

What about rape? Should abortion be ok then? I don't know.
What do you think?

Bronzesnake.
JudgeNot
Gold Member

Jesus, remember me... Luke 23:42

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: July 25, 2004, 09:24:35 PM »

I always thought this question was covered in God 101.  Grin

Life began when God created the first living microscopic cell in Genesis.  Human life began when God breathed life into Adam, thus turning “the dust from the ground” into human cell tissue.  Therefore, an egg cell and a sperm cell exclusive from one another are technically life.  However, they are part of the host’s body (the man’s or the woman’s) until which time they become one – conception if you will.  At that instant in time a whole new human and a brand new soul begins life’s journey and deserves all the human rights denied him or her by the “Pro-Choice” (I loath that term) infanticide crowd.  

Covering your tracks is futile; God knows where you're going and where you've been.
JPD
His_child

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 25, 2004, 11:44:07 PM »

I agree that life begins at conception.

Is it ok to use birth control pills?

Can't invent His deity.
JudgeNot
Gold Member

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: July 26, 2004, 10:47:15 AM »

Call me 'chicken', but I would like to see the reasoning of a few others before I make up my mind on that one.
 Smiley
My knee-jerk reaction is that any type of birth control used within the marriage to prevent conception is okay...

Covering your tracks is futile; God knows where you're going and where you've been.
JPD
His_child

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 26, 2004, 11:14:04 AM »

Call me 'chicken', but I would like to see the reasoning of a few others before I make up my mind on that one.
 Smiley
My knee-jerk reaction is that any type of birth control used within the marriage to prevent conception is okay...

The main way that bc pills work is to prevent conception.
However, there is a back up to the pills that will prevent the fertilized egg from implanting in the womb.
This does not always work and sometimes a baby is born in spite of the abortificant factors of the pill.
However the abortificant factors work more often than not. Therefore the fertilized egg usually will not implant, causing the woman to miscarry usually before she suspects she is pregnant.

If life begins at conception, is it ok to use birth control pills?
Many Christians seem to think that it is ok.
But I don't see how it can be ok because I believe life begins at conception.

Can't invent His deity.
JudgeNot
Gold Member

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: July 26, 2004, 11:44:21 AM »

Is the “rhythm method” and as far as that goes (let’s stretch it a bit) – “marital abstinence” birth control?  Condoms?

JPD
Evangelist
Gold Member

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: July 26, 2004, 03:11:43 PM »

I notice that most are with the "at conception" idea, meaning at the moment the sperm fertilizes the egg.

What about this:
Jer. 1
"...before thou wast in the womb, I knew thee..."

BroHank
John 8:12 Ministries  www.john812.com
The Beymers  www.thebeymers.org
JudgeNot
Gold Member

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: July 26, 2004, 03:23:32 PM »

I notice that most are with the "at conception" idea, meaning at the moment the sperm fertilizes the egg.
What about this:
Jer. 1
"...before thou wast in the womb, I knew thee..."

Evangelist,
That's exactly what we've been waiting for you to explain to us.
 Smiley
(Doesn't that verse imply we were spirit before we were 'life'? Or.. does it imply God knew we were going to be born?)
« Last Edit: July 26, 2004, 03:24:30 PM by JudgeNot » Logged

JPD
Gracey

...still just a child

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: July 26, 2004, 03:34:47 PM »

Re:When does life begin?

When did God begin?

Life begins at conception: the conception of the human, or the conception of humans in the mind of God?

As for birth control, I never took any because it wasn't right (for me, anyway-I don't know for anyone else).

I would say, though, that even if you take it, it would only prevent "accidental" birth....those that God has planned for you (if any) would happen anyway, birth control or not.

Did Sarah not have a barren womb and God filled it?

Smiley

†† Guided by God ††
2nd Timothy
Gold Member

Resident Meese Master

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 26, 2004, 03:53:13 PM »

Here is what Mr Kerry has to say on the subject.

The presumptive Democratic presidential candidate discussed his views on abortion, sex and violence in the entertainment industry, and his upcoming acceptance speech at Democratic National Convention. The following are excerpts from the interview.

Peter Jennings: You told an Iowa newspaper recently that life begins at conception. What makes you think that?

Sen. Kerry: My personal belief about what happens in the fertilization process is a human being is first formed and created, and that's when life begins. Something begins to happen. There's a transformation. There's an evolution. Within weeks, you look and see the development of it, but that's not a person yet, and it's certainly not what somebody, in my judgment, ought to have the government of the United States intervening in.

Roe v. Wade has made it very clear what our standard is with respect to viability, what our standard is with respect to rights. I believe in the right to choose, not the government choosing, but an individual, and I defend that.

Jennings: Could you explain again to me what do you mean when you say "life begins at conception"?

Kerry: Well, that's what the Supreme Court has established is a test of viability as to whether or not you're permitted to terminate a pregnancy, and I support that. That is my test. And I, you know, you have all kinds of different evolutions of life, as we know, and very different beliefs about birth, the process of the development of a fetus. That's the standard that's been established in Roe v. Wade. And I adhere to that standard.

Jennings: If you believe that life begins at conception, is even a first-trimester abortion not murder?

Kerry: No, because it's not the form of life that takes personhood in the terms that we have judged it to be in the past. It's the beginning of life. Does life begin? Yes, it begins.

Is it at the point where I would say that you apply those penalties? The answer is, no, and I believe in choice. I believe in the right to choose, and the government should not involve itself in that choice, beyond where it has in the context of Roe v. Wade.

Jennings: Can you imagine yourself ever campaigning against abortion?

Kerry: Well, I don't think — let me tell you very clearly that being pro-choice is not pro-abortion. And I have very strong feelings that we should talk about abortion in a very realistic way in this country. It is a very complicated, incredibly important moral issue that people have to face, also. And if you talk to any woman, as I have, who has faced that choice or who's been raped or who's suffered incest or who's faced that kind of choice, there are huge moral implications.

I think leadership needs to honor that, those moral implications, appropriately, and I think we need to adhere to the standard that Bill Clinton, in fact, so adeptly framed, that abortion should be rare, but legal and safe. And that's the standard that I apply. But I think we should talk more about alternatives to abortion.

Jennings: If I were really skeptical, Senator, I would say that when you use the phrase "life begins at conception," you're attempting to speak to those people for whom that is a slogan, making them totally opposed to abortion.

Kerry: Not in the least. It's a belief that is a belief of mine. It's consistent with everything I've always said over 35 years of public life. It is not a new statement, but it is consistent with my personal belief system about who chooses and what happens. I do believe we should talk about alternatives to abortion. I think we should talk about adoption. I think we should talk about, I think it is responsible to talk about abstinence, but I also believe you should talk about proper education of people — sex education.

You need to have proper knowledge about use of condoms to avoid AIDS. You need to be smart about these things. So what we need to do is have an honest dialogue and not succumb to the cynicism that sort of reduces these things to simplicity. It's not simple. It's a very complicated, highly emotional, very searing decision. I don't want the government making that decision for people, and that is a bedrock belief. But it doesn't change what I believe about how life goes on.

Seems to me he wants it both ways.  Flip flop as usual.

The rest of it is here http://abcnews.go.com/sections/WNT/US/kerry_interview_040722.html  That is if you really need more.

Grace and Peace!

Tim

Enslaved in service to Christ
Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

More From ChristiansUnite...    About Us | Privacy Policy | | ChristiansUnite.com Site Map | Statement of Beliefs

Copyright © 1999-2019 ChristiansUnite.com. All rights reserved.
Please send your questions, comments, or bug reports to the