Webmasters
• Christian Guestbooks
• Banner Exchange
• Dynamic Content

Subscribe to our Free Newsletter.
Enter your email address:

ChristiansUnite
Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 18, 2024, 08:48:57 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Our Lord Jesus Christ loves you.
286798 Posts in 27568 Topics by 3790 Members
Latest Member: Goodwin
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  ChristiansUnite Forums
|-+  Theology
| |-+  General Theology (Moderator: admin)
| | |-+  Have the spiritual gifts ceased or they around today?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Have the spiritual gifts ceased or they around today?  (Read 12681 times)
sincereheart
Gold Member

"and with His stripes we are healed." Isaiah 53:5

View Profile WWW
« Reply #45 on: July 23, 2004, 07:27:10 AM »

Pardon one moment:

Benny and his ilk will continue in their "jobs" for some time.....it's just the retirement benefits that will be lacking!!

ROFL!  Grin

Sorry - carry on!  Lips Sealed

carlos123

I'm a llama!

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: July 23, 2004, 09:10:14 AM »

Behold!  What is this?  A voice from among the otherwise silent masses is heard crying in the wilderness ....

...carry on.

Good suggestion sincereheart Smiley.  I think I shall....

Now that we have had a chance to get to know one another better through comments made over Benny Hinn, extraneous Bible studies, and short non-interactive posting why don't we get back to looking at 1 Corinthians...

Let's see we left off at 1 Cor 13:10 I believe so continuing on...

1 Corinthians 13:10
For we know in part and we prophesy in part; but when the perfect comes, the partial will be done away.

When I was a child, I used to speak like a child, think like a child, reason like a child; when I became a man, I did away with childish things.

For now we see in a mirror dimly, but then face to face; now I know in part, but then I will know fully just as I also have been fully known.

Here Paul brings in an analogy to give insight into what he means in verse 10.  The analogy of being like a child vs being like an adult.  

In other words to know and prophesy in part vs fully is like the differnce between being childish and being like an adult.

In line with the nature and purpose of his analogy Paul is not referring to spiritual childhood vs becoming spiritually mature.  Rather he is referring to physical childhood vs real, physical adulthood as happens when a child grows up to be a man.  

Compared to how it will be when the perfect comes we all walk around as children do.  We speak like children, think like children, and reason like children.  We see in a mirror dimly and we know only in part.  

But when the perfect comes we will put the childlike nature of our present speaking, thinking, and reasoning behind.  Such that we will see things face to face not as in a mirror dimly as we do now and we will know fully just as we also have been fully known by God.  

It strikes me how incredible it will be when the perfect comes and how unscriptural it is to believe that the perfect has already come.  We still to this day walk about as children in comparison to how it will be when the perfect comes.  I don't know about you but I sure don't see us exercising our spiritual gifts in a way that fully expresses and shows forth who God is in his fullness.  We certainly do not know as fully as we are presently known by God.  

To say that the perfect has already come is to say that we are now in a state of manifesting God perfectly through the Church and knowing fully just as we are known.  To me that seems to be quite ignorant of the partial nature in which we still operate. I hesitate to use the word ignorant but that is how I believe God sees it.  

It is somewhat akin to a child walking around insisting that he is an adult when all around hiim can see that he is not.  If it were not for the way such a view contradicts what God's is and hinders his work in the Church it would be utterly funny to see a child insisting that he is a man.  

Perhaps there might even be an element of pride in there somewhere too.  In saying that whatever God (as our Father) might say about our state of childhood is not true and that we know better than Him.

Any further thoughts or input?

Carlos
Evangelist
Gold Member

View Profile WWW
« Reply #47 on: July 23, 2004, 11:15:51 AM »

[qquote]"For now we see in a mirror dimly, but then face to face; now I know in part, but then I will know fully just as I also have been fully known. "

"1Cr 13:12 For now we see through a glass, darkly; but then face to face: now I know in part; but then shall I know even as also I am known. "

Just a little expansion on your thought, Carlos. These verses make reasonably clear that Paul is foreseeing the time when our imperfect bodies are made perfect, our unclear minds are brightened and illuminated with the full understanding of God, and that this occurs ONLY when:

Tts 2:13 Looking for that blessed hope, and the glorious appearing of the great God and our Saviour Jesus Christ;

1Cr 15:52 In a moment, in the twinkling of an eye, at the last trump: for the trumpet shall sound, and the dead shall be raised incorruptible, and we shall be changed.

1Th 4:16   For the Lord himself shall descend from heaven with a shout, with the voice of the archangel, and with the trump of God: and the dead in Christ shall rise first:
1Th 4:17   Then we which are alive [and] remain shall be caught up together with them in the clouds, to meet the Lord in the air: and so shall we ever be with the Lord.

1Jo 3:2 Beloved, now are we the sons of God, and it doth not yet appear what we shall be: but we know that, when he shall appear, we shall be like him; for we shall see him as he is.

1Jo 3:3   And every man that hath this hope in him purifieth himself, even as he is pure.

1Cr 15:52   In a moment, in the twinkling of an eye, at the last trump: for the trumpet shall sound, and the dead shall be raised incorruptible, and we shall be changed.
1Cr 15:53   For this corruptible must put on incorruption, and this mortal [must] put on immortality.

we come face to face with our perfect savior, Jesus Christ. Notice in the last part of 1 Cr. 13:12, the "...just as I also have been fully known."

Jesus knows, perfectly, the thoughts and intents of our hearts. He knows us better than we could ever know ourselves (in the flesh). Paul is saying that since this is true, He has perfect knowledge and understanding of us, there will be a day when we will then "know, even as also I am known".

It's good to know others are reading...even if there isn't much said.

On a slightly different tack, but considering the interjection of extraneous material and "accusations", I want to state the following unequivocally.

I am not a charismaniac, nor a charismatic, nor a pentecostal, nor an AoG, nor a cessationist, nor a dead in the pew baptist, methodist, episcopalian, lutheran, etc. ad nauseum.

I was discipled to believe, and do believe, that the Word of God is exactly that....HIS Word, and that it is not subject to "private interpretation", but will always verify itself with itself (and that is NOT circular reasoning).

I have never spoken in tongues, and probably never will (the Lord once told me I could talk to Him in any language I wanted....He understands them all). I have heard (and seen) many speaking in tongues...and in almost all instances, I would, by the witness of the Holy Spirit, put those exhibitors in the same class as the Corinthians. Notice I said "almost all".

I make no claim to any of the gifts enumerated, although  I know that some have been exhibited in ministry, and fully and unequivocally met the standards imposed by the Word of God, which is the only "verifying" rule.

Abuse and misuse of the power and gifts of God are rampant....but that does not invalidate HIS power, HIS distribution and HIS use of them through vain, imperfect and finite jars of clay.

Rom 3:3 For what if some did not believe? shall their unbelief make the faith of God without effect?

BroHank
John 8:12 Ministries  www.john812.com
The Beymers  www.thebeymers.org
carlos123

I'm a llama!

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: July 23, 2004, 01:31:30 PM »

Excellent post Evangelist!  Thank you.  

Very insightful verses you selected.  

I especially liked how you put the following.  It very succincly and accurately describes what is going on in the Church today.  

Abuse and misuse of the power and gifts of God are rampant....but that does not invalidate HIS power, HIS distribution and HIS use of them through vain, imperfect and finite jars of clay.

AMEN!!  

What is most encouraging for me personally is that, given that the perfect has not yet come, that there will be a day when Christ WILL be fully revealed.  There will come a day when our partial speaking, thinking, resoning, will be no more.  When we shall know as fully as we are now known by God.  

There is true hope for the future.  When the perfect comes.  

That all the imperfectness of the Church will someday, perhaps soon, be no more and that she will shine with the glory of Christ revealed in all His majesty and surpassing greatness in her midst.  What a glorious day that will be!  

If I was of the school that believed that the perfect had already come it would be downright depressing.  By virtue of having to conclude that what  is yet to come is already here.  And what an imperfect perfect that is.  

Carlos
« Last Edit: July 23, 2004, 01:34:46 PM by carlos123 » Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

More From ChristiansUnite...    About Us | Privacy Policy | | ChristiansUnite.com Site Map | Statement of Beliefs

Copyright © 1999-2019 ChristiansUnite.com. All rights reserved.
Please send your questions, comments, or bug reports to the