Webmasters
• Christian Guestbooks
• Banner Exchange
• Dynamic Content

Subscribe to our Free Newsletter.
Enter your email address:

ChristiansUnite
Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 26, 2024, 12:16:54 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Our Lord Jesus Christ loves you.
286806 Posts in 27568 Topics by 3790 Members
Latest Member: Goodwin
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  ChristiansUnite Forums
|-+  Entertainment
| |-+  Computer Hardware and Software (Moderator: admin)
| | |-+  Stay away from IE
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Stay away from IE  (Read 14592 times)
Joey

View Profile
« Reply #60 on: November 14, 2004, 02:12:06 PM »

Brothers and Sisters Using Firefox,

BB Code is another really neat extension for Firefox. It makes it easy and fast to use code that the Christians Unite forum software recognizes. It's a simple right click context menu for bold, italic, color, font size, and more. It works great, and you can apply what you want while you are typing. I highly recommend it for Firefox users.

The Spellbound spell checker is a must have also.

Love In Christ,
Tom

Brother
I am so glad that you are getting on so well with Firefox. Its an awesome browser and a keeper for sure. been using firefox and also Mozilla for about 10 months now and it can do most things that IE can do. Its faster and after tweaking it to your liking, it looks and acts great also. I love the themes that you can use. Now i am off to download the spell checker you recommened as i am sure you can see, i need one  Grin
Joey

View Profile
« Reply #61 on: November 14, 2004, 03:14:02 PM »

Hope this hasn't been posted before and i missed it, but if anyone wants a great web site for firefox extensions, just click the following link

http://www.extensionsmirror.nl/index.php?showforum=2

Sure it will keep you busy for a while  Grin
Joey

View Profile
« Reply #62 on: November 14, 2004, 03:17:37 PM »

Brother Tom

Just to let you know, i downloaded the spell checking extension you mentioned and also BBCode extensions. They are great. Thanks for the recommendation.
I also downloaded a cool weather watch extension that even covers my little town in England

God Bless
Joey
Symphony
Gold Member

I'm a llama!

View Profile
« Reply #63 on: November 14, 2004, 04:44:57 PM »

You should be able to go to the toolbar click "Help ---> About Internet Explorer".

I could also tell if you tell me A) What version of windows you are using and when was the last time you upgraded IE?

AHA!  Thank you, saved.  I found it.  6.0.  So I must be upt to date..   And, I have SP2.

But I update so often, different, I couldn't tell you the last time I did what.

I'm clueless.   Lips Sealed

nChrist
Global Moderator
Gold Member

May God Lead And Guide Us All

View Profile
« Reply #64 on: November 14, 2004, 09:43:33 PM »

Hope this hasn't been posted before and i missed it, but if anyone wants a great web site for firefox extensions, just click the following link

Joey,

Thanks for the link Brother!  This is all new to me. I can't believe how small all of the programs are for Firefox. Not only are they small, they are much faster than anything I used for IE, and there are no crashes anymore.

The extensions are tiny, but they work very fast and accurately. I'll have to go get that weather extension.

Thanks again.

Love In Christ,
Tom

Joey

View Profile
« Reply #65 on: November 15, 2004, 06:41:50 AM »

Joey,

Thanks for the link Brother!  This is all new to me. I can't believe how small all of the programs are for Firefox. Not only are they small, they are much faster than anything I used for IE, and there are no crashes anymore.

The extensions are tiny, but they work very fast and accurately. I'll have to go get that weather extension.

Thanks again.

Love In Christ,
Tom

Brother Tom

The weather extension is great. You can chose where to put the Icons. You can put them on your task bar, the toolbar, personal toolbar or wherever. I placed mine on my bookmark toolbar and when you open Firefox, a little box pops up, telling you the weather for your particular town/city. Then, at any time, you just place your mouse over one of the icons and it gives you a update of the weather. I have 3 icons, 1 for now, 1 for the days forecast and the other for the next day.

Love in Christ
Joey
nChrist
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #66 on: November 15, 2004, 11:49:03 AM »

Joey,

Thanks Brother!!

There's another one called "Foxy Tunes" that allows you to listen to music in Firefox.  It's just as fast and good as the rest of the extensions. I know that it works because I just got through listening to the Gospel music Sister Pat has attached to the devotions she has been posting. I think that "Flash Got" is another one that allows things that were done in IE that are not automatically done in Firefox. I have them both, and they both work automatically once a couple of easy configurations are done (Example: default player for midi). The interesting thing is Firefox is so much faster than IE. I still have an old fashioned and slow dial-up account, so speed is pretty important to me.

Tom

Put the cat out?  I didn't know it was on fire!
%%

Seven

I'm a llama!

View Profile
« Reply #67 on: November 16, 2004, 08:40:34 PM »

http://reviews-zdnet.com.com/4520-7297_16-5570819.html

Software Engineer
http://www.infragard.net/
nChrist
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #68 on: November 17, 2004, 04:45:42 PM »

Seven,

Thanks Brother! Those were excellent articles.

I was just thinking that I've not had a single "Browser must shut down - send report to Microsoft" since I started using Firefox. In fact, I haven't had a single system error or crash related to browsing since I started using Firefox.

Now it's down to using Internet Explorer only for the Windows updates, and maybe the folks doing Firefox will figure that out soon.

Tom

-- Bother! said Pooh,
as the EPA closed the honey factory.
%%

Kristi Ann
Gold Member

John 9:1-5 KJV

View Profile WWW
« Reply #69 on: November 26, 2004, 10:49:59 AM »

YIKES... I still have FireFox and I don't used either!!!

I only use Opera YAY, better than FireFox!!

Happy Holiday's, \o/

MsGuidedAngel

Seven

I'm a llama!

View Profile
« Reply #70 on: November 28, 2004, 10:14:53 PM »

I just thought it was somewhat funny. Kinda like a "Dear John"
letter.

jim

Software Engineer
http://www.infragard.net/
Saved_4ever
Gold Member

A KJV bible believing Christian

View Profile WWW
« Reply #71 on: November 29, 2004, 09:18:28 AM »

I don't really like opera.  It had too many issues for me and I'm not interested in ads in my browser that take up valuable space.

Shammu
Global Moderator
Gold Member

B(asic) I(nstructions) B(efore) L(eaving) E(arth)

View Profile WWW
« Reply #72 on: November 29, 2004, 11:12:31 AM »

YIKES... I still have FireFox and I don't used either!!!

I only use Opera YAY, better than FireFox!!

Happy Holiday's, \o/

MsGuidedAngel

I haven't had mycomputer lock up on me at all, using firefox. I used Opera in the past and had my computer lock up,  So to me Firefox is 100, times better.

Resting in the Lords arms.
Bob

nChrist
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #73 on: December 05, 2004, 03:40:37 AM »

Dreamweaver Said:

I haven't had mycomputer lock up on me at all, using firefox. I used Opera in the past and had my computer lock up,  So to me Firefox is 100, times better.

Resting in the Lords arms.
Bob

Brother Bob,

The same would be true for me. This helped to remind me to tell everyone using Firefox about a really neat extension called Sage. Sage is a tiny but extremely efficient news machine. It uses what's called RSS feeds from thousands of news sources, and you can list whatever you want in Sage and read recent news from however many sources you want. I'm really surprised there are so many free sources, including some of the largest names in the news business. I set it for 2 or 3 top news and breaking news, a couple on high-tech developments, one on gadgets, one on sports, and a couple I can't remember. What's really sharp is the material is retrieved so quickly with a brief of each article. You click on the briefs you are interested in to read the entire story - with pictures. Just for curiosity, I typed in the names of the biggest newspapers in the country in the "find box", and Sage automatically set things up for news briefs from all of them in a matter of minutes.

I could be wrong, but I don't think there is anything like this for Internet Explorer. If so, it couldn't be as fast and efficient. I understand that all of the extensions are written in Perl, an extremely fast and stable script language, maybe somewhat like active x, but I would assume it is much safer. I use a fire-wall anyway, and I can't imagine huge newspapers trying to distribute virus or trojans.

It's rated 5 stars and is great for anyone wanting to get a quick glimpse of news in just about any category you can think of typing into the "find box". I didn't do it, but I would guess you would get 100s of results on hot topics like Israel, Iraq, Iran, religious news, or whatever your interest is. You can get it on the main Firefox site which is now secure (.shtml). I really think that it is faster than Google in searching for and researching topics.

Love In Christ,
Tom

Psalms 100:4  Enter into his gates with thanksgiving, and into his courts with praise: be thankful unto him, and bless his name.

larrynboys

I'm Forgiven!

View Profile
« Reply #74 on: December 31, 2004, 02:48:46 AM »

you know ive had firefox on my computer for awhile and ive heard everyone is going to it, but since i read this topic ive downloaded OPERA for the first time and im really enjoying it, The google ads don't bother me to much but it would be nice if they would go bye bye (LOL), Besides that there are some totally cool options that i can totally appreciate. The only problem ive had so far is it isn't compatable to GMAIL . I havent been able to configure it to work, so ill try the help line and see how the support is.
    :DIf it doesn't work .. well ... I"ll just praise the Lord anyway Tongue
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

More From ChristiansUnite...    About Us | Privacy Policy | | ChristiansUnite.com Site Map | Statement of Beliefs

Copyright © 1999-2019 ChristiansUnite.com. All rights reserved.
Please send your questions, comments, or bug reports to the