Webmasters
• Christian Guestbooks
• Banner Exchange
• Dynamic Content

Subscribe to our Free Newsletter.
Enter your email address:

ChristiansUnite
Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 10:00:23 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Our Lord Jesus Christ loves you.
286776 Posts in 27568 Topics by 3790 Members
Latest Member: Goodwin
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  ChristiansUnite Forums
|-+  Theology
| |-+  Debate (Moderator: admin)
| | |-+  What is the Work of God?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: What is the Work of God?  (Read 1225 times)
Gracey

...still just a child

View Profile WWW
« on: July 11, 2004, 10:29:46 AM »

In a variety of conversations here, and at other places I see a lot of differing opinions on this verse:

Joh 6:29  Jesus answered and said to them, This is the work of God, that you believe on Him whom He has sent.

Some see "this is the work of God" as meaning "the work that God does".

But in reading the whole passage I am not necessarily seeing it as that, so I am wondering what other opinions are, and how you have come to that opinion?

Joh 6:27  Do not labor for the food that perishes, but for that food which endures to everlasting life, which the Son of Man will give you. For God the Father sealed Him.
Joh 6:28  Then they said to Him, What shall we do that we might work the works of God?
Joh 6:29  Jesus answered and said to them, This is the work of God, that you believe on Him whom He has sent.
Joh 6:30  Therefore they said to Him, What sign do you show then, so that we may see and believe you? What do you work?

I guess I am looking at it more from the point of Jesus answering his disciplies. They ask Him (paraphrase) what they need to do in order to do God's work (or, do the work God has planned for them) and He responds by telling them.

I would appreciate hearing what others feel and their reasons.

grace & peace
Gracey †

please note: I posted this in the debate area, because lately, everything seems to become a debate,  Grin but it can be moved if necessary.

†† Guided by God ††
Heidi
Gold Member

I'm a llama!

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2004, 10:38:59 AM »

Hi Gracey,
I believe that statement completely! That IS all we have to do! Paul says that the man without the spirit cannot understand the things that come from God. How can someone believe something he doesn't understand? He can't. It's impossible. Therefore, it is the Holy Spirit that enable us to believe Jesus. Once we receive the Holy Spirit, IT now gives us the FRUITS of the spirit which are love, joy, hope, patience, humility, etc. The more we submit to the SPIRIT, the more we operate out of the spirit. Even submitting to the spirit comes from the Holy Spirit because it is stronger than the devil. Jesus said; "for out of the overflow of the heart, the mouth speaks." When our cups are overflowing with his love, then it can't help but spill out onto others. That's why ALL of our good works come from God!
Gracey

...still just a child

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2004, 11:25:27 AM »

I believe that statement completely!

Hi Heidi - I am not sure I am understanding what you meant when you said you believe that statement - you believe the statement made in the verse, or my viewpoint of what it means, or the other viewpoint?

What I would like to know is "how" others understand/believe that statement. In other words, what exactly does it mean to you? (I guess I didn't make my question very clear).

Gracey †

oh, wait a minute...I just reread your post and it looks as if what you are saying is that you understand it to mean that by "believing on Him....etc." is the work God has asked of us, which is the way I see it. Or did I misunderstand your post?

†† Guided by God ††
ollie
Gold Member

Being born again, .....by the word of God,

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2004, 06:58:32 PM »

The work of God.

That you believe on Him whom He hath sent.

You means the individuals being addressed. That believing on Christ is doing the work of God. It is infered then that all who believe on Christ are doing the work of God.

It is also a work of God in the sense that He provides the truth, the way, and the life that we are to believe.

John 6:27.  Labour not for the meat which perisheth, but for that meat which endureth unto everlasting life, which the Son of man shall give unto you: for him hath God the Father sealed.
 28.  Then said they unto him, What shall we do, that we might work the works of God?
 29.  Jesus answered and said unto them, This is the work of God, that ye believe on him whom he hath sent.

Support your local Christian.
Gracey

...still just a child

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2004, 07:08:54 PM »

Well, Ollie - that's a way I hadn't quite looked at before; sort of like both opinions are true?

It is a work that God does, and also a work for us to do.

Thank you.

Gracey †

†† Guided by God ††
ollie
Gold Member

Being born again, .....by the word of God,

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2004, 07:18:05 PM »

Well, Ollie - that's a way I hadn't quite looked at before; sort of like both opinions are true?

It is a work that God does, and also a work for us to do.

Thank you.

Gracey †
Yes, and all being the work of God. Praise His Holy Name and to Him be the glory.

Ollie

Support your local Christian.
Brother Love
Gold Member

"FAITH ALONE IN CHRIST ALONE"

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 13, 2004, 05:36:32 AM »

Grin

Brother Love Smiley

<Smiley))><

THINGS THAT DIFFER By C.R. Stam
Read it on line for "FREE"

http://www.geocities.com/protestantscot/ttd/ttd_chap1.html

<Smiley))><
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

More From ChristiansUnite...    About Us | Privacy Policy | | ChristiansUnite.com Site Map | Statement of Beliefs

Copyright © 1999-2019 ChristiansUnite.com. All rights reserved.
Please send your questions, comments, or bug reports to the