Webmasters
• Christian Guestbooks
• Banner Exchange
• Dynamic Content

Subscribe to our Free Newsletter.
Enter your email address:

ChristiansUnite
Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 07:10:41 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Our Lord Jesus Christ loves you.
286776 Posts in 27568 Topics by 3790 Members
Latest Member: Goodwin
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  ChristiansUnite Forums
|-+  Theology
| |-+  Apologetics (Moderator: admin)
| | |-+  A Piece Of The Devine Plan
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: A Piece Of The Devine Plan  (Read 2096 times)
Bronzesnake
« on: June 03, 2003, 11:38:36 AM »

At a fundraising dinner for a school that serves learning-disabled children,  the father of one of the school's students delivered a speech that would never be forgotten by all who attended.

After extolling the school and its dedicated staff, he offered a question. "Everything God does is done with  perfection. Yet, my son, Shay, cannot learn things as other children do.  He cannot understand things as other children do. Where is God's plan reflected in my son?"

The audience was stilled by the query. The father continued. "I believe," the father answered, "that when God brings a child like Shay into the world, an opportunity to realize the Divine Plan presents itself. And it comes in the way people treat that child."

Then, he told the following story: Shay and his father had walked past a park where some boys Shay knew were playing baseball. Shay asked, "Do you think they will let me play?"  Shay's father knew that most boys would not want him on their team. But the father understood that if his son were allowed to play it would give him a much-needed sense of belonging.

Shay's father approached one of the boys on the field and asked if Shay could play. The boy looked around for guidance from his teammates. Getting none, he took matters into his own hands and said, "We are losing by six runs, and the game is in the eighth inning. I guess he can be on our team and we'll try to put him up to bat in the
ninth inning."

In the bottom of the eighth inning, Shay's team scored a few runs but was still behind by three. At the top of the ninth inning, Shay put on a  glove and played in the outfield. Although no hits came his way, he was obviously ecstatic just to be on the field, grinning from ear to ear as his father waved to him from the stands. In the bottom of the ninth inning,
> Shay's team scored again. Now, with two outs and bases loaded, the potential winning run was on base. Shay was scheduled to be the next at-bat. Would the team actually let Shay bat at this juncture and give away their chance to
> win the game? Surprisingly, Shay was given the bat.

Everyone knew that a hit was all but impossible because Shay didn't even know how to hold the bat properly, much less connect with the ball. However, as Shay stepped up to the plate, the pitcher moved a few steps to lob the ball in softly so Shay could at least be able to make contact. The first pitch came and Shay swung clumsily and missed. The pitcher again took a few steps forward to toss the ball softly toward Shay. As the pitch came in, Shay swung at the ball and hit a slow ground ball to the pitcher.

The pitcher picked up the soft grounder and could easily have thrown the ball to the first baseman. Shay would have been out and that would have ended the game. Instead, the pitcher took the ball and threw it on a high arc to right field, far beyond reach of the first baseman. Everyone started yelling, "Shay, run to first. Run to first." Never in his life had Shay ever made it to first base. He scampered down the baseline, wide-eyed and startled.

Everyone yelled "Run to second, run to second!" By the time Shay was rounding first base, the right fielder  had the ball. He could have thrown the ball to the second baseman for a tag.  But the right fielder understood what the pitcher's intentions had been, so he threw the ball high and far over the third baseman's head. Shay ran towards second base as the runners ahead of him deliriously circled the bases towards home.

As Shay reached second base, the opposing shortstop ran to him, turned him in the direction of third base, and shouted, "Run to third!"  As Shay rounded third, the boys from both teams were screaming, "Shay! Run home!" Shay ran home, stepped on home plate and was cheered as the hero, for hitting a "grand slam" and winning the game for his team. "That day," said the father softly with tears now rolling down his face, "the boys from both teams helped bring a piece of the Divine Plan into this world."
Allinall
Gold Member

HE is my All in All.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2003, 02:14:37 AM »

Ok.  Now I'm teary-eyed!  I think I've read that before, but it is, nontheless, true.  Our assistant pastor spoke tonight on Mark 12:28-34

And one of the scribes came up and heard them disputing with one another, and seeing that he answered them well, asked him, "Which commandment is the most important of all?" Jesus answered, "The most important is, 'Hear, O Israel: The Lord our God, the Lord is one.  And you shall love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind and with all your strength.' The second is this: 'You shall love your neighbor as yourself.' There is no other commandment greater than these." And the scribe said to him, "You are right, Teacher. You have truly said that he is one, and there is no other besides him. And to love him with all the heart and with all the understanding and with all the strength, and to love one's neighbor as oneself, is much more than all whole burnt offerings and sacrifices." And when Jesus saw that he answered wisely, he said to him, "You are not far from the kingdom of God." And after that no one dared to ask him any more questions.

He asked the question, "What should our church be known for?"  A few answered things like "Being a witness for Christ," or "Discipling believers."  He said then, that we should be known for our love of God, and of others:

A new commandment I give to you, that you love one another: just as I have loved you, you also are to love one another. By this all people will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another." - John 13:34-35

Our love for God is exhibited in our compassion one for another as brothers and sisters in Christ.  That love also moves beyond the barriers of brotherhood to all of our "neighbors."  As our love for God grows, our love for others shows.  Thanks for the post Bronze!

"that I may know him and the power of his resurrection, and may share his sufferings, becoming like him in his death"
Bronzesnake
« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2003, 04:32:13 AM »

Hi allinall my brother.

Yes, I admit it...I was also teary eyed after reading that.
Especially since I received some devastating news this week, so I was already weakened emotionally.

You may know from one or two of my past posts that my brother died Feb, from cancer, he was 45 and he has four young daughters.

I started a fund raising association called "Community For A Cure" in my region of Ontario Canada.
 I used to be the lead singer in a semi-successful rock band, but I turned away from that corrupt lifestyle after I got serious about God. Now after years of not performing, I'm going to actually sing again. We're doing a Lennon / McCartney collection at a theatre here in town at the end of August.

I have been making my rounds all over the area to gain sponsors and volunteers, and in the course of my activities I have heard many heartbreaking stories.

Last week my wife's aunt told us a tragic, painful story. Her next door neighbor has her grandson living with her, and the poor little guy has terminal cancer...he's only six years old. We cried when we heard that.
Yesterday I was told that my cousin's wife has liver cancer. The day before yesterday I found out that the drummer we're using for the show has a devastating story also...his father has stomach cancer. He was supposed to get it operated on, but because of this whole S.A.R.S. problem, his operation was put off. Now it is too late for surgery, if they attempt it now he'll not survive the surgery so they're putting him on a chemo regiment...he will die from the cancer.
It goes on and on like this, it's so tragic, especially when it involves the youngsters.
So yes, we really need to be nice to each other.
I know I get a little caught up in these posts. But honestly, my attitude is light hearted most times even when I'm in the heat of the moment, I make no bones about the fact that I believe in God, we are created and we did not evolve, but after all is said and done, I still enjoy debating with almost everyone here, including the argumentative non-Christian ones who are clearly here to stir the pot.
Compared to that little fella with cancer, our problems are trivial.

Take care allinall.
Petro
Gold Member

I'm a llama!

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2003, 09:53:21 AM »

Bronze Snake,

I tell you, the story is heart warming, and I know, what you are going thru, I had my own brother killed here not long ago.

And it is true, there are many out there who are hurting and going thru their own trials,  and on top of it all, when the right hand doesn't know what the left hand is doing imagine the delima.

It is important to help, others especially those of the household of God, and of course those who know not the Lord.

I'll be praying for your brothers family, and your fund raisers.

In Christ
Petro

Bronzesnake
« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2003, 10:17:32 AM »

Bronze Snake,

I tell you, the story is heart warming, and I know, what you are going thru, I had my own brother killed here not long ago.

And it is true, there are many out there who are hurting and going thru their own trials,  and on top of it all, when the right hand doesn't know what the left hand is doing imagine the delima.

It is important to help, others especially those of the household of God, and of course those who know not the Lord.

I'll be praying for your brothers family, and your fund raisers.

In Christ
Petro

Thank you my brother, you have truly warmed my heart this morning. I am so sorry about the loss of your brother...I understand that heartache, and I am praying for you and your family Petro.
Bronzesnake
Allinall
Gold Member

HE is my All in All.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2003, 01:10:20 AM »

I'm trying to remember if I saw that, and it doesn't come to mind.  But then, I have the attention span of...what were we talking about?  Grin  No seriously, I'm sorry to hear that brother.  You are in my prayers as are you endeavors.

Take care!

"that I may know him and the power of his resurrection, and may share his sufferings, becoming like him in his death"
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

More From ChristiansUnite...    About Us | Privacy Policy | | ChristiansUnite.com Site Map | Statement of Beliefs

Copyright © 1999-2019 ChristiansUnite.com. All rights reserved.
Please send your questions, comments, or bug reports to the