Webmasters
• Christian Guestbooks
• Banner Exchange
• Dynamic Content

Subscribe to our Free Newsletter.
Enter your email address:

ChristiansUnite
Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 02:53:53 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Our Lord Jesus Christ loves you.
286799 Posts in 27568 Topics by 3790 Members
Latest Member: Goodwin
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  ChristiansUnite Forums
|-+  Theology
| |-+  Debate (Moderator: admin)
| | |-+  <:)))><
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7 Go Down Print
Author Topic: <:)))><  (Read 15638 times)
Brother Love
Gold Member

"FAITH ALONE IN CHRIST ALONE"

View Profile
« on: June 25, 2004, 06:33:51 AM »

EAT FISH TODAY, IT IS FRIDAY

THINGS THAT DIFFER By C.R. Stam
Read it on line for "FREE"

http://www.geocities.com/protestantscot/ttd/ttd_chap1.html

<Smiley))><
creationist

I'm a llama!

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2004, 08:28:09 AM »

Can you please show us a Bible quote where it instructs us to eat fish on Fridays? Chapter and verse please.
Allinall
Gold Member

HE is my All in All.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2004, 10:35:27 AM »

I think it's somewhere in Hezekiah...

"that I may know him and the power of his resurrection, and may share his sufferings, becoming like him in his death"
Reba
« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2004, 10:45:06 AM »

I think it's somewhere in Hezekiah...

Hey that is Hitch's line...... Tongue
C C

loving your neighbor includes your neighbor

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2004, 04:07:01 PM »

Grin

Last night I fried fish and today I'm eating it.  I didn't know you're supposed to eat fish on Friday, but I like to hear I did something good for someone without knowing it.   Grin

Doing unto others as you would have them do unto you would include not finding your neighbor's biggest fault and then harping on it as if it were your mission.
C C

loving your neighbor includes your neighbor

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2004, 04:26:16 PM »

Hey Kitty,

Firecat, We DO the bread and Whine thing in Remembrance of Him.  It's got nothing to do with canabolism or anything.  Just remember that when you want to be a Christian.

"No person can "practice Christianity" without being saved.  They can imitate Christ's life to the best of their ability--a feeble attempt at best.  Real Christianity is not an imitation, but an expression of Christ within us.  (WHY WE EAT HIS BODY AND DRINK HIS BLOOD IN REMBRANCE THAT HE IS LIVING INSIDE OF US!!! WE ARE NOT SIMPLY DOING WHAT HE SAID TO DO OR NOT DO AND WE ARE NOT SIMPLY COPYING HIM OR IMITATING HIM--HE WORKS IN US THROUGH US__WE are not supposed to forget that!!)  "The way to enjoy Christ and express Christ is to allow Him to live His life through us.  As we rest in Him, He will express His character and His ministry through us.  When we struggle to live the Christian life, we stop the flow of Christ's life and begin to live after the resources of our own flesh.  As we abide in Him, we rest and work at the same time!  We rest inwardly while He works outwardly through us.  This is God's designed method of Christian service.  Anythng else is empty religious ritual, regardless of how successful or spiritual it may appear."

"Living by grace means that we express His life as a natural and normal part of our dailly experience.  We live trusting Him to express Himself through us every day.  We don't have to overanalyze our actions and attitudes.  Life isn't a test, its a rest.  The test has already been given and we received a perfect score because Jesus took the test for us.  it's now to time to celebrate!  We don't need to live under a list of things we believe we aught to do.  When we are living each day abiding in Christ, we can do whatever we want to.  As we abide in Him, His desire will be our desire.  The Christ-life is one of joy.  People will be drawn to us and to Him when they see the quality of joy that we experience."  When we're so focused on rules and trying to be something we're not, we repell folks!  "Even in painful circumstances which cause us to be emotionallly unhappy, Christians can experience spiritual joy.  Don't freeze up spiritually with analysis-paralysis.  We can just live, allowing Christ to naturally and normally express Himself through us."

HENCE DO THIS IN REMEMBRANCE OF ME

His yoke is easy and His burden is light and He is living inside of us and working through us.  It's not us, it's Him.

Important concept for potential Christian!

Peace
« Last Edit: June 25, 2004, 04:32:19 PM by Candice Cavalier » Logged

Doing unto others as you would have them do unto you would include not finding your neighbor's biggest fault and then harping on it as if it were your mission.
ollie
Gold Member

Being born again, .....by the word of God,

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 25, 2004, 04:39:03 PM »

Can you please show us a Bible quote where it instructs us to eat fish on Fridays? Chapter and verse please.

It is not a matter of doctrine it is a matter of discipline so it falls under the following verse:

Heb 13:17  Obey them that have the rule over you, and submit yourselves: for they watch for your souls, as they that must give account, that they may do it with joy, and not with grief: for that is unprofitable for you.

Not eating meat on Friday is a way of remembering that Christ gave up His flesh for us on Good Friday.

But then I don't think you really care - you were just having some sport at the expense of us Catholics - at least some of you were I am sure intending this to be good natured.  So no harm done and if you learned something so much the better.

Grin
Not eating meat on Friday is a way of remembering that Christ gave up His flesh for us on Good Friday

Nice intentions in this reminder, but the only reminder Christ authorized is the communion. This to remember Him and to show His death till He comes.

Support your local Christian.
ollie
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 25, 2004, 05:34:22 PM »

You know I never got how there was that whole meat rule, yet catholics every Sunday pretend to be eating Jesus' flesh and drinking his blood. Someone please enlighten me I'm dying to know how this makes sense. Respect Jesus... But let's eat him! Yum!

Ugh.

The early pagan Romans also did not understand this nor some of the Jews as is evidenced even in the scriptures themselves (John 6:66).  But the early Christians were quite clear in their own minds that the bread and wine were indeed miraculously converted into His body and blood just as he said in the scriptures.  We know this because these early Christians wen to their death accused of cannibalism by the Roman state rather then deny His true presence in the consecrated bread and wine.

The basis for their belief was of course the teaching of the Church as the canon of the scriptures was as yet undetermined but what we see in the scriptures to support this idea is the following.

Jesus identifies the bread and wine as His body and blood.

Mar 14:22  And as they did eat, Jesus took bread, and blessed, and brake it, and gave to them, and said, Take, eat: this is my body.
Mar 14:23  And he took the cup, and when he had given thanks, he gave it to them: and they all drank of it.
Mar 14:24  And he said unto them, This is my blood of the new testament, which is shed for many.

The Greek term used for "is" is the word estee meaning "truly is" or "literally is" NOT just "symbolic represents" as some would have you believe.

Jesus claims that whoever eats His body and drinks His blood will have eternal life.

Joh 6:54  Whoso eateth my flesh, and drinketh my blood, hath eternal life; and I will raise him up at the last day.
Joh 6:55  For my flesh is meat indeed, and my blood is drink indeed.
Joh 6:56  He that eateth my flesh, and drinketh my blood, dwelleth in me, and I in him.

Paul makes it clear that Jesus is not being symbolic when he points out that one is in danger of damnation if one treats the bread and wine unworthily (something that amounts to idolatry if the bread and wine are mere symbols) by not recognizing the Lord's body.

1 Cor 11:27  Wherefore whosoever shall eat this bread, and drink this cup of the Lord, unworthily, shall be guilty of the body and blood of the Lord.

Finally the Lord tells us to repeat this sacrament.

Luk 22:19  And he took bread, and gave thanks, and brake it, and gave unto them, saying, This is my body which is given for you: this do in remembrance of me.

This is not just a reminding ourselves of the last supper.  The Greek word used here for remembrance is anamnesis, which is used only 4 times in the New Testament always in context of the Eucharist or in referring to the calling to God's mind of a sacrifice previously offered.  Similarly this term appears only in the Septuigant (the Greek translation of the Old Testament) in the seame sense.  Other rememberings of other events used in the New Testaments use other Greek words to describe that other form of reminding ourselves.

So this may not work as a proof for you who do not accept the scriptures as the word of God, but to the early Christians this was plain enough that they should participate in the Eucharist as He told us to and consume His true presence in the consecrated bread and wine.

Modern philosophical terms such as transubstantiation address the issue of the substance and accidents of the bread and wine and His body and blood, thus explaining why the outward appearance does not reflect the inward reality, but I doubt you are interested in those technical discussions.

I hope that helped you understand.
"Finally the Lord tells us to repeat this sacrament"

But lay catholics only take the bread. The priest gets the cup and bread. How do you repeat it if only taking half of it?

Christ did not divide it up that way.

19.  And he took bread, and gave thanks, and brake it, and gave unto them, saying, This is my body which is given for you: this do in remembrance of me.
 20.  Likewise also the cup after supper, saying, This cup is the new testament in my blood, which is shed for you.

"Them" and "you" being His apostles.
 No lay or priest folk here. All the apostles took both the bread and cup.

1 Corinthians 11:23.  For I have received of the Lord that which also I delivered unto you, That the Lord Jesus the same night in which he was betrayed took bread:
 24.  And when he had given thanks, he brake it, and said, Take, eat: this is my body, which is broken for you: this do in remembrance of me.
 25.  After the same manner also he took the cup, when he had supped, saying, This cup is the new testament in my blood: this do ye, as oft as ye drink it, in remembrance of me.
 26.  For as often as ye eat this bread, and drink this cup, ye do shew the Lord's death till he come.

"You" and "ye" being the church at Corinth, them that are made Holy in Christ Jesus and all that in every place call upon the Lord's name.

1 Corinthians 1:2.  Unto the church of God which is at Corinth, to them that are sanctified in Christ Jesus, called to be saints, with all that in every place call upon the name of Jesus Christ our Lord, both theirs and ours:

No lay folk here, but all the members of the Corinthian church are priests, according to Peter. Priests definitely were involved here, but not a seperate priesthood, but all the faithful at Corinth.

1 Peter 2:5.  Ye also, as lively stones, are built up a spiritual house, an holy priesthood, to offer up spiritual sacrifices, acceptable to God by Jesus Christ......
9.  But ye are a chosen generation, a royal priesthood, an holy nation, a peculiar people; that ye should shew forth the praises of him who hath called you out of darkness into his marvellous light

Revelation 1:5.  And from Jesus Christ, who is the faithful witness, and the first begotten of the dead, and the prince of the kings of the earth. Unto him that loved us, and washed us from our sins in his own blood,
 6.  And hath made us kings and priests unto God and his Father; to him be glory and dominion for ever and ever. Amen.

All are partaking of the bread and the cup. It is not seperated as bread for lay and both for priest.

When did this horrendous decision to change, adulterate and divide the Eucharist into bread for the lay and both bread and cup only for "priests" occur? It seems a definitive contradiction of the very book catholics credit themselves with compiling.

Ollie

« Last Edit: June 25, 2004, 05:40:32 PM by ollie » Logged

BUTCHA

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 25, 2004, 09:10:18 PM »

just my opinion

at our church they offer the wine also, for we as a group requsted it, but i think so many are afraid of colds and jerms they pass on the wine Undecided
Reba
Re:
« Reply #9 on: June 25, 2004, 10:40:17 PM »

Quote from:  link=board=22;threadid=4200;start=0#msg62924 date=

Wow  Judge  your so smart  Grin
JudgeNot
Gold Member

Jesus, remember me... Luke 23:42

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: June 25, 2004, 10:55:42 PM »

Wow  Judge  your so smart  

I lost something in the translation here - must be because I deleted the post to which you refer because I decided it was too close to judging someone's heart rather than his motive???   Smiley

But, Reba - I know what you're are talking about (and it's not about me being anything close to "smart").

Grin  Grin

Covering your tracks is futile; God knows where you're going and where you've been.
JPD
Reba
« Reply #11 on: June 26, 2004, 12:47:25 AM »

Wow  Judge  your so smart  

I lost something in the translation here - must be because I deleted the post to which you refer because I decided it was too close to judging someone's heart rather than his motive???   Smiley

But, Reba - I know what you're are talking about (and it's not about me being anything close to "smart").

Grin  Grin
If  you know what i am talking about that makes one of us.  Tongue
Shammu
Global Moderator
Gold Member

B(asic) I(nstructions) B(efore) L(eaving) E(arth)

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: June 26, 2004, 01:59:16 AM »

EAT FISH TODAY, IT IS FRIDAY
BLAH BLAH

To late I did earlier. Grin
I almost always have fish on fridays. Grin

ollie
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 26, 2004, 10:08:28 AM »

Is there an example in the Bible where Jesus Christ taught or was taught to the heathen through mockery of their pagan beliefs or ever taught to the Jews through mockery of their holding on to the law?

How is a statement that appears as "mockery" and "a put down" debated?

"EAT FISH TODAY, IT IS FRIDAY"

Ollie
« Last Edit: June 26, 2004, 10:16:38 AM by ollie » Logged

JudgeNot
Gold Member

Jesus, remember me... Luke 23:42

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: June 26, 2004, 06:35:15 PM »

I'm not a cannibal. My mom is still alive and well, trust me.

Ha-ha-ha!  Cheesy  Good one.
(Can you prove that?  Angry )   Grin  Grin

Covering your tracks is futile; God knows where you're going and where you've been.
JPD
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

More From ChristiansUnite...    About Us | Privacy Policy | | ChristiansUnite.com Site Map | Statement of Beliefs

Copyright © 1999-2019 ChristiansUnite.com. All rights reserved.
Please send your questions, comments, or bug reports to the