Webmasters
• Christian Guestbooks
• Banner Exchange
• Dynamic Content

Subscribe to our Free Newsletter.
Enter your email address:

ChristiansUnite
Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 01:50:43 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Our Lord Jesus Christ loves you.
286799 Posts in 27568 Topics by 3790 Members
Latest Member: Goodwin
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  ChristiansUnite Forums
|-+  Theology
| |-+  Prophecy - Current Events (Moderator: admin)
| | |-+  CLOSING THE TRAP: THE DRAFT
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 Go Down Print
Author Topic: CLOSING THE TRAP: THE DRAFT  (Read 4500 times)
twobombs

View Profile WWW
« on: June 25, 2004, 06:33:16 AM »

CLOSING THE TRAP: THE DRAFT
[Catching Those Christians Who
Think Prophecy Is Just A Game]
June 10, 2004
INTRODUCTION

Eric Rosenberg of the Seattle Post-Intelligencer, reports that there is pending legislation reinstating the draft in the House and Senate (twin bills: S 89 and HR 163) in order "to provide for the common defense by requiring that ALL young persons in the United States ... perform a period of military service or a period of civilian service in furtherance of the national defense and homeland security, and for other purposes." These active bills currently sit in the committee on armed services.

http://www.endtimesnetwork.com/oldnews/thedraft.html

[ Tempus Fugit Smiley ]
ollie
Gold Member

Being born again, .....by the word of God,

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2004, 07:47:06 AM »

CLOSING THE TRAP: THE DRAFT
[Catching Those Christians Who
Think Prophecy Is Just A Game]
Huh
« Last Edit: June 28, 2004, 08:22:52 PM by ollie » Logged

Support your local Christian.
Tibby
Gold Member

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2004, 10:33:41 PM »

Ok... are you trying to say this is a good thing, or a bad thing?

Was there ever a time when Common sence was common?
Requiem

I'm a llama!

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2004, 09:25:55 PM »

Well there's a couple things about this...

It's been in Congress since January 7, 2003. It's really nothing new.

Also...if you read about it...

http://thomas.loc.gov/cgi-bin/query

It's not for a draft, its for compulsary military service for all young americans. It hasn't been passed yet, and I doubt it will...anytime soon if ever.
Shammu
Global Moderator
Gold Member

B(asic) I(nstructions) B(efore) L(eaving) E(arth)

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2004, 10:47:07 PM »

Well there's a couple things about this...

It's been in Congress since January 7, 2003. It's really nothing new.

Also...if you read about it...

http://thomas.loc.gov/cgi-bin/query

It's not for a draft, its for compulsary military service for all young americans. It hasn't been passed yet, and I doubt it will...anytime soon if ever.
If it ever passes, it will be like the military service in Israel.

Tibby
Gold Member

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2004, 03:08:21 AM »

I’m for it. Most people my age need the Honor, responsibility, and discipline giving by such a conservative origination like the military. Gets everyone away from mommy and daddy, on their own. And not just moving away to college, where they will most likely spend all their time getting wasted and end up moving back in. Go for it.

Brother Love
Gold Member

"FAITH ALONE IN CHRIST ALONE"

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 28, 2004, 06:26:43 AM »

I’m for it. Most people my age need the Honor, responsibility, and discipline giving by such a conservative origination like the military. Gets everyone away from mommy and daddy, on their own. And not just moving away to college, where they will most likely spend all their time getting wasted and end up moving back in. Go for it.

you should know... Smiley

Tibby, "The door of grace is still open. Be reconciled
while you may. Believe on the Lord Jesus Christ and thou
shalt be saved."
« Last Edit: June 28, 2004, 06:28:52 AM by Brother Love » Logged

THINGS THAT DIFFER By C.R. Stam
Read it on line for "FREE"

http://www.geocities.com/protestantscot/ttd/ttd_chap1.html

<Smiley))><
Tibby
Gold Member

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: June 28, 2004, 09:29:03 AM »

Had the done this, for your generation, there maybe have been hope for you, BL. Who knows, you maybe have even found Jesus.  Smiley

Requiem

I'm a llama!

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 28, 2004, 09:54:43 AM »

Compulsary military service for all americans both men and women is a horrible idea. Period. I could sit and list my reasoning...but I'm not gonna get a rant started. haha
Tibby
Gold Member

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: June 28, 2004, 07:31:25 PM »

No, please, lets here what you have to say. Taking into account, of course, exceptions will be made for the handicap and those otherwise unable, some being except, while others being giving jobs for suited to their ability.

ebia
Gold Member

umm

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 28, 2004, 08:04:48 PM »

No, please, lets here what you have to say. Taking into account, of course, exceptions will be made for the handicap and those otherwise unable, some being except, while others being giving jobs for suited to their ability.
1.  Conscript armies are nothing like as effective as professional ones.  Part of the reason the US, Britain, Australia, etc have walked over the opposition so easily in Iraq, the Falklands etc is that difference.  Modern warfare is a highly skilled business, not a question of brute force.  Israel is about the only country in the world that manages to have a modern, effective, conscript army.
2.  Why should all have to go through military service because some would benefit from it?
3.  What effective arrangements are going to be made for those with moral objection to warfare, and how will you prevent that being abused by others who just want to escape from the chance of being killed?

"You shall know the truth, the truth shall set you free.

Christ doesn't need lies or censorship.
Tibby
Gold Member

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: June 28, 2004, 09:57:50 PM »

1.  Conscript armies are nothing like as effective as professional ones.  Part of the reason the US, Britain, Australia, etc have walked over the opposition so easily in Iraq, the Falklands etc is that difference.  Modern warfare is a highly skilled business, not a question of brute force.  Israel is about the only country in the world that manages to have a modern, effective, conscript army.

2.  Why should all have to go through military service because some would benefit from it?

I am not sure how the kids are Down under… I think it would aid more then a few, even for those who do not realize it. Most go to College for some semester before dropping out. They have no goal for the future, no direction. My best friend also did not pass High School now he is 3rd in his class in the Military. He is one of the many examples. I know people who had no goals and where working in a factory until they joined the military, and it gave them a direction. Is it for everyone? No. But so what. A little physical fitness and discipline never hurt anyone.

3.  What effective arrangements are going to be made for those with moral objection to warfare, and how will you prevent that being abused by others who just want to escape from the chance of being killed?

Normally, when this topic comes up, the idea of Military OR Peace Corp comes up. Everyone has the right to pick one or the other.  There are other options, of course. Some are in the Military as consensus objectors, medics and such. Here in America, the Air Force handles a lot of the space program, you can join the Air Force, as a non-combatant, in a Space program with little or no relation to War. The Navy does some deep sea exploration. The Coast Guard and National Guard are involved in rescue operations, from storms at sea, natural disasters, etc. There are any number of ways for those who do not wish to fight, or be involved in an area that might cause hard to others, to be in the military.

twobombs

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: June 30, 2004, 05:37:43 AM »

I have trouble with my brain accepting the teaching of killing.
I want to be taught and teach the the coming of Christ.

<Rant>
When people are sooo eager to blow one another up, use nukes.
The US army is an extention of commerce; killing iraqis for oil & burgers

The trouble with the US is that they never tasted universal defeat.
Europe has landmarks, scars and even craters of war e-ve-ry-whe-re.

Dunno how large the crater needs to be to school you PPL there.
In Arizona there is a nice one that might fit the need I think...
</Rant>
« Last Edit: June 30, 2004, 05:41:11 AM by twobombs » Logged

[ Tempus Fugit Smiley ]
Tibby
Gold Member

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: June 30, 2004, 12:25:54 PM »

I have trouble with my brain accepting the teaching of killing.

I really don't like to insult people in debates, but with kind of statement... Grin This is a teaching taught in the bible. Have all the trouble you want with it, doesn't change a thing.

I want to be taught and teach the the coming of Christ.

Don't we all. But Christ was not always "Peace, love, and rock'n'roll." He was a man of action. When there was a job to do, he did it.Sometimes it involved whips, other times it involved words, but he are a pretty militant guy at time.

<Rant>
When people are sooo eager to blow one another up, use nukes.
The US army is an extention of commerce; killing iraqis for oil & burgers

What? Not big into thinking for yourself, I see. Sounds like you have been listening to BBC and CNN propaganda. If the USA wanted oil, it would have attacked its Oil Producing Neighbors, like Mexico and Argentina. They could have just as easily say they were tying to stop drug cartels. Not like Those countries would put up a fight. They barely have armies as it is. If they waned oil, they would open their own reveres up. But we didn’t. That is a long way to go for oil when they have it in their own backyard.

The trouble with the US is that they never tasted universal defeat.
Europe has landmarks, scars and even craters of war e-ve-ry-whe-re.

Craters that we only made when forced to. 95% of those Craters, they left on themselves. They don't like craters, tell them to stop fighting. Tell them if they don't want craters, then next time they lose, don't call us to help!

Dunno how large the crater needs to be to school you PPL there.

How about 2 city blocks big?

In Arizona there is a nice one that might fit the need I think...
</Rant>
Grin Grin

Nah, Florida.

ebia
Gold Member

umm

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 30, 2004, 07:15:16 PM »

I am not sure how the kids are Down under… I think it would aid more then a few, even for those who do not realize it.

I didn't say few.  I've no idea how many except that it's neither all nor none.

Most go to College for some semester before dropping out. They have no goal for the future, no direction. My best friend also did not pass High School now he is 3rd in his class in the Military. He is one of the many examples. I know people who had no goals and where working in a factory until they joined the military, and it gave them a direction. Is it for everyone? No. But so what. A little physical fitness and discipline never hurt anyone.
Well, I'd say army discipline does hurt many - it is, by necessity, a system designed to get people to follow orders without question, and to be prepared to inflict violence on others.  Neither intrinsically good qualities for decent citizens.  On top of that it is intensely humiliating for those with little physical aptitude, just as school sport is.  Personally I think we should put the minimum number of people through military training that we can possibly manage with.

It is also a huge waste of time for those for whom it isn't right.  Should we force everyone to do first year medical school incase that's right for them.  And force everyone to spend a year painting or writing a novel in case that would improve them, etc, etc.

Normally, when this topic comes up, the idea of Military OR Peace Corp comes up.
What does Peace Corp entail.  (Serious question for those of us outside the US).

Some are in the Military as consensus objectors, medics and such. Here in America, the Air Force handles a lot of the space program, you can join the Air Force, as a non-combatant, in a Space program with little or no relation to War. The Navy does some deep sea exploration. The Coast Guard and National Guard are involved in rescue operations, from storms at sea, natural disasters, etc.

I'd have thought that those would only be able to take a very small number of unskilled conscripts.

"You shall know the truth, the truth shall set you free.

Christ doesn't need lies or censorship.
Pages: [1] 2 3 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

More From ChristiansUnite...    About Us | Privacy Policy | | ChristiansUnite.com Site Map | Statement of Beliefs

Copyright © 1999-2019 ChristiansUnite.com. All rights reserved.
Please send your questions, comments, or bug reports to the