Webmasters
• Christian Guestbooks
• Banner Exchange
• Dynamic Content

Subscribe to our Free Newsletter.
Enter your email address:

ChristiansUnite
Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 02:40:30 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Our Lord Jesus Christ loves you.
286776 Posts in 27568 Topics by 3790 Members
Latest Member: Goodwin
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  ChristiansUnite Forums
|-+  Fellowship
| |-+  Parenting (Moderator: admin)
| | |-+  Enrolling in Public School....
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Enrolling in Public School....  (Read 8847 times)
His_child

Jesus is the Way, the Truth and the Life!

View Profile
« on: June 20, 2004, 01:45:16 AM »

My husband and I have decided to enroll our 11 year old daughter in public school this fall.
She will be in sixth grade.
She has always been homeschooled.
Anyone have any advice?

I'm not following a God that's imagined.
Can't invent His deity.
That's why Jesus is the final answer
To Who I want my God to be.
He's Who I want my God to be.
-  Who? by Peter Furler and Steve Taylor (Newsboys)
ebia
Gold Member

umm

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2004, 02:20:37 AM »

Make contact with all her teachers individually - by email if possible (it's far and away the best method of communication with teachers in a computer aware school).

And listen to what they say, even if it seems to differ from your experience at home - students sometimes behave very differently in the school environment to home, or even just in certain subject areas.

"You shall know the truth, the truth shall set you free.

Christ doesn't need lies or censorship.
BUTCHA

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2004, 11:06:57 PM »

think of it like the tv or computer.

you can get a lot of good and bad stuff their. so be involved,  keep a open mind, dont go along to get along , fight for everything you believe in, you can change the wrong , dont be afraid to get to know the school commitee and superintedant, go to the top if you have to i did a few times and i have made major changes in the school system. oh yes the still like me. Grin
i feel like the public school system is a good place for its a mirror of the world our children will have to join. so i think its ok , as long as they have a strong foundation from home.

i do know families that put their children in catholic schools just because their children need control, no foundation and the parents know it.

good luck,  oh neo had some great thoughts
JudgeNot
Gold Member

Jesus, remember me... Luke 23:42

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2004, 11:49:36 PM »

My advice, without question, is to ignore Neo's (Satanic) "congratulations" and advice.

If your kid's are in public school rather than a Christian School, you will need to spend much more of your time looking over their shoulders, reviewing each lesson, asking "what is going on in school"...

Public School rules say the school nurse can advise your daughter to get an abortion (or prescribe drugs: ridolin) without contacting you...
And before I get a lot of replies concerning that statement - yes, it IS a FACT and YES it IS an infringment on the rights given to parents by God our Father!

Public schools are of Satan.  Satan wants your children in public schools.  Satan absolutely rules public schools.  It is up to you to make sure Satan does not also rule your child.  It will be a battle.  A long battle.  At least in Christian Schools you have help.

Been there, done that - Satan has yet to win the battle for my child, but the battle isn't over... however, if Jesus Christ is for me, who can be against me??? Hmmmm?  Smiley
« Last Edit: June 24, 2004, 12:33:49 AM by JudgeNot » Logged

Covering your tracks is futile; God knows where you're going and where you've been.
JPD
Reba
« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2004, 12:50:30 AM »

Tell us what you really think Judge  Grin

I agree
Reba
« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2004, 09:56:19 AM »

My husband and I have decided to enroll our 11 year old daughter in public school this fall.
She will be in sixth grade.
She has always been homeschooled.
Anyone have any advice?

Hischild,

Please go to the school hangout in the hallway. Or go to the 'mall' and listen. The school in our little town is bad, very bad. I worked there for a few years know the teachers etc. I am so pleased my grandchildren are not there. (The school is a crossed the street it is K - 12) The gay and lesbian club is doing great. The bible club is battled against. Two of the teachers in the grammar school are witches. (Kati is a witch I was the aid in her classroom). I was reading a textbook for the high school. It said the greatest thing to happen in this century was the N.O.W. organization? The Constitution was in the back and for each paragraph the text writers had added their in interpretation of its meaning. A militant lesbian heads the maintenance department. There was a ‘in-service day’  we were at a meeting we were asked to lay on the floor rest our eyes and allow our spirit guide to take us to a peaceful place. I happen to live in one of the places that the weirdoes like… they gather here for solaces convergences etc  this school hopefully is a an extreme.  Please go to the school hang in the hallways at lunch  get the textbooks they will be using and read them. You will be asking your child to learn please know ,don’t assume, what you are asking your  God given gift to become part of.  

Reba
« Reply #6 on: June 24, 2004, 09:58:00 AM »

Congratulations! Smiley

Any particular reason for the switch?

Advice:

1.) Make sure she makes good friends. Fostering strong, stable relationships with her classmates can produce friendships that will last a lifetime, and she'll definitely thank you for it later on.

2.) Be involved! Go to school functions, PTO meetings, conferences, etc, etc. Don't be hesitant to contact the school about anything!

3.) Complain to the proper authorities when necessary, but also compliment them on a job well done. If the school system handles something particularly well, let them know!

4.) Talk to as many parents of public-schooled children as you can. Smiley

King Solomon spoke to the likes of you.....
JudgeNot
Gold Member

Jesus, remember me... Luke 23:42

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: June 24, 2004, 10:17:09 AM »

It's Ritalin, not ridolin.  

Something’s don't deserve proper spelling - particularly "brand names" of things meant to destroy the will of children.  You obviously knew what I was talking about, didn't you.

Yes, quite a spectacular return. Before you begin ragging on someone else’s spelling - did you learn in learn in public school that the rule is "i before e except after c".  I guess you missed that day?  
Hmm, so you know the “proper" spelling of drugs but you can’t spell ‘received’.  Yep – THAT says a whole lot about your public schooling.
« Last Edit: June 24, 2004, 10:19:21 AM by JudgeNot » Logged

Covering your tracks is futile; God knows where you're going and where you've been.
JPD
AAAAmember

I'm a llama!

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 24, 2004, 12:07:52 PM »

Hischild,

Please go to the school hangout in the hallway. Or go to the 'mall' and listen. The school in our little town is bad, very bad. I worked there for a few years know the teachers etc. I am so pleased my grandchildren are not there. (The school is a crossed the street it is K - 12) The gay and lesbian club is doing great. The bible club is battled against. Two of the teachers in the grammar school are witches. (Kati is a witch I was the aid in her classroom). I was reading a textbook for the high school. It said the greatest thing to happen in this century was the N.O.W. organization? The Constitution was in the back and for each paragraph the text writers had added their in interpretation of its meaning. A militant lesbian heads the maintenance department. There was a ‘in-service day’  we were at a meeting we were asked to lay on the floor rest our eyes and allow our spirit guide to take us to a peaceful place. I happen to live in one of the places that the weirdoes like… they gather here for solaces convergences etc  this school hopefully is a an extreme.  Please go to the school hang in the hallways at lunch  get the textbooks they will be using and read them. You will be asking your child to learn please know ,don’t assume, what you are asking your  God given gift to become part of.  

Yeah - that's definitely an extreme.  Are you sure you have all the facts right?  My public school was nothing like that.  We had a BLGA but it was for students to find peers like them and to work against harassment.  Our bible study club never received any complaints and there was even a group who prayed by the flagpole on certain days.  No one complained or bothered them.  

The interpretation of the Constitution is so that the students can understand what is written.  AND there's no law that says your student has to read it.

Spirit guide?  That sounds a little weird.  Are you sure they weren't just doing yoga?  Did they use those exact words?

If homeschooling works for you, then go for it.  But don't assume all public schools are "evil".  

~love,
AAAAmember
Reba
« Reply #9 on: June 24, 2004, 12:09:31 PM »

King Solomon spoke to the likes of you.....

Really? What did he say? Smiley

1 Kings 3:23-28

23 Then said the king, The one saith, This is my son that liveth, and thy son is the dead: and the other saith, Nay; but thy son is the dead, and my son is the living.

24 And the king said, Bring me a sword. And they brought a sword before the king.

25 And the king said, Divide the living child in two, and give half to the one, and half to the other.

26 Then spake the woman whose the living child was unto the king, for her bowels yearned upon her son, and she said, O my lord, give her the living child, and in no wise slay it. But the other said, Let it be neither mine nor thine, but divide it.

27 Then the king answered and said, Give her the living child, and in no wise slay it: she is the mother thereof.

28 And all Israel heard of the judgment which the king had judged; and they feared the king: for they saw that the wisdom of God was in him, to do judgment.
KJV
His_child

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 24, 2004, 12:17:54 PM »

It's one thing to politely mention a spelling or typographical error, it's totally different to try to make the other person look stupid.
If you must make someone else look bad to get your point across, then you need to sharpen your debate skills.

I will gladly discuss or debate this topic with those who wish to continue like adults.
I used to be a moderator on a Christian board and have seen all sides of the public school vs. private school vs. homeschool debate.

We have prayed about this decision.
We live in a small town and know the teachers and the principal of the school.  
We made the decision because I will not go where God does not lead.
We prayed about how to educate our daughter when she was going into Kindergarten.
All doors for private and public schooling where closed to us. All doors for homeschooling were opened for us.
This year all doors for private schooling and homeschooling have been closed for us. All doors for public schooling have been opened for us.
In the past, when I have not followed His lead, I have made a big mess of things. I'll not intentionally do that again.

It's interesting that someone would mention the school nurse. We have one nurse for the middle and high school. She is a good friend of mine and she helps me through prayer and support with my ministry to help women who've had abortions learn about the love of Christ and she volunteers for CPC.

The middle school principal is a Christian man, deacon in our church and friend of my husband.
The high school principal is a Christian man and an elder in our church.

My husband and I have already signed up for the PTO and I've signed up to volunteer in the classrooms. With my work schedule, I'll probably only be able to volunteer one day a week.

Can't invent His deity.
Reba
« Reply #11 on: June 24, 2004, 12:28:15 PM »

Yeah - that's definitely an extreme.  Are you sure you have all the facts right?  My public school was nothing like that.  We had a BLGA but it was for students to find peers like them and to work against harassment.  Our bible study club never received any complaints and there was even a group who prayed by the flagpole on certain days.  No one complained or bothered them.  

The interpretation of the Constitution is so that the students can understand what is written.  AND there's no law that says your student has to read it.

Spirit guide?  That sounds a little weird.  Are you sure they weren't just doing yoga?  Did they use those exact words?

If homeschooling works for you, then go for it.  But don't assume all public schools are "evil".  

~love,
AAAAmember
AAA tell ya what, how about you not implying i am a lier and signing 'Love' in the same post. That kind of phoniness is a pain. A question if ya care to answer do you consider yourself to be a conservative or liberal.

Yes my facts are correct and i was only speaking of the school in my home town thought that was clear. Yup spirit guide and the person "leading the exersize was the principle of the grammar school. He is now a teacher in the same grammar school.

I do not blame the PS for my lack of language skills my sister went to the  very same schools and she is an  acomplished public school teacher.
AAAAmember

I'm a llama!

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 24, 2004, 12:36:08 PM »

AAA tell ya what, how about you not implying i am a lier and signing 'Love' in the same post. That kind of phoniness is a pain. A question if ya care to answer do you consider yourself to be a conservative or liberal.

Yes my facts are correct and i was only speaking of the school in my home town thought that was clear. Yup spirit guide and the person "leading the exersize was the principle of the grammar school. He is now a teacher in the same grammar school.

I do not blame the PS for my lack of language skills my sister went to the  very same schools and she is an  acomplished public school teacher.

Whoa - pull the claws back in, Reba!  I was only checking facts.  I know sometimes that things get retold in the retelling.  I'm guilty of it as well.  It doesn't make anyone a liar.  Calm down, please.

Did I insult your language skills?  No.  Please don't imply that I did.  

You got your point across - you didn't mean to insult all public schools, just point out the errors in yours.  However, I would like to note again that yours is an extreme (and an unfortunate extreme).

I'm liberal on some things and conservative on others.  I don't much care for labels anyhow.

love, (yes, I'm STILL going to sign my posts that way and NO, I'm not "phony")
~AAAA
His_child

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 24, 2004, 12:44:11 PM »

AAAA- how many children do you have and did you ever have to help them make a transition in life similar to  this?

Can't invent His deity.
Reba
« Reply #14 on: June 24, 2004, 12:52:43 PM »

It's one thing to politely mention a spelling or typographical error, it's totally different to try to make the other person look stupid.
If you must make someone else look bad to get your point across, then you need to sharpen your debate skills.

I will gladly discuss or debate this topic with those who wish to continue like adults.
I used to be a moderator on a Christian board and have seen all sides of the public school vs. private school vs. homeschool debate.

We have prayed about this decision.
We live in a small town and know the teachers and the principal of the school.  
We made the decision because I will not go where God does not lead.
We prayed about how to educate our daughter when she was going into Kindergarten.
All doors for private and public schooling where closed to us. All doors for homeschooling were opened for us.
This year all doors for private schooling and homeschooling have been closed for us. All doors for public schooling have been opened for us.
In the past, when I have not followed His lead, I have made a big mess of things. I'll not intentionally do that again.

It's interesting that someone would mention the school nurse. We have one nurse for the middle and high school. She is a good friend of mine and she helps me through prayer and support with my ministry to help women who've had abortions learn about the love of Christ and she volunteers for CPC.

The middle school principal is a Christian man, deacon in our church and friend of my husband.
The high school principal is a Christian man and an elder in our church.

My husband and I have already signed up for the PTO and I've signed up to volunteer in the classrooms. With my work schedule, I'll probably only be able to volunteer one day a week.

Sounds like a good school! How wonderful for your area!
Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

More From ChristiansUnite...    About Us | Privacy Policy | | ChristiansUnite.com Site Map | Statement of Beliefs

Copyright © 1999-2019 ChristiansUnite.com. All rights reserved.
Please send your questions, comments, or bug reports to the