Webmasters
• Christian Guestbooks
• Banner Exchange
• Dynamic Content

Subscribe to our Free Newsletter.
Enter your email address:

ChristiansUnite
Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 26, 2024, 08:52:29 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Our Lord Jesus Christ loves you.
286806 Posts in 27568 Topics by 3790 Members
Latest Member: Goodwin
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  ChristiansUnite Forums
|-+  Theology
| |-+  Debate (Moderator: admin)
| | |-+  a question for all of you
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 Go Down Print
Author Topic: a question for all of you  (Read 27928 times)
Bronzesnake
« Reply #150 on: August 12, 2004, 06:44:54 PM »

Oklahoma Howdy to Left Coast and Bronzesnake,

I don't have much doubt that both of you are brothers in Christ. I think that the disagreement and exchange of information could be beneficial if it could be cooled down some. It is more than certain that neither of you are going to change your opinions, and my opinion is set in concrete.

Left Coast, I have no problem in calling you brother, but I disagree with you completely on your doctrine. It is set in concrete that Jesus Christ died on the cross for ALL - EVERYONE who will believe, confess, and ask forgiveness to the LORD AND SAVIOUR for ALL who call on HIS Name as LORD over their lives. John, I know it makes you angry that I won't debate this with you, but I don't feel led to debate matters like this. I would simply tell you it is completely false doctrine that attempts to define and limit the perfect sacrifice of Jesus Christ on the Cross for all. Anyone, and I mean ANYONE can hear the Word of God, believe in the GOOD NEWS OF THE CROSS, and accept Jesus Christ as their Lord and Saviour. There really isn't any mystery at all about predestination. Everything was and is an open book to Almighty God before the foundation of the world. HE knew the number of hairs on your head and whether or not you would accept Jesus Christ as your personal Lord and Saviour before the foundation of the world. Foreknowledge by ALMIGHTY GOD does not suggest that you were somehow commanded or created as a robot that would accept Jesus Christ as your personal Lord and Saviour.

If Almighty God wished to make such commands, HE certainly could, but he didn't. It is more than obvious that HE wishes all men to be saved, so why not simply COMMAND it or breathe it SO and DONE. There would be no need for the sacrifice of Jesus Christ on the CROSS, and there would be no need for pastors and sharing the GOOD NEWS. The simplicity is overwhelming - man was given the choice of good and evil and to believe or disbelieve. Man chose evil and disobedience with Adam. Man has been given choices to make from the very start, and ALL men are in desperate need of a Lord and Saviour. ALL men were offered a Lord and Saviour, Jesus Christ on the CROSS. Men may accept or reject, just like Adam.

In conclusion, you are confusing the foreknowledge of God in ALL THINGS with a doctrine that says many men can't ask Jesus Christ for forgiveness and ask HIM to be the LORD over their lives. There no doctrine with any Biblical basis that says that only some men can accept Jesus Christ as Lord and Saviour, and all others will be rejected. Again, it is simply confusing foreknowledge with predestination. Any man can hear the WORD - The GOOD NEWS - and believe it and accept Jesus Christ as their personal Lord and Saviour. Anything less makes the CROSS in vain and makes the clear statement that there is no GOOD NEWS.

John, post all you wish, but I won't debate it with you. I have studied in detail everything you believe about predestination. I will simply say that you are a very confused brother in Christ. I love you brother, but the GOOD NEWS is for everyone. We'll simply have to agree to disagree.

Love In Christ,
Tom

You are of course right my friend...it's getting foolish on both of our parts. Message received Captain, I am disengageing ...now!

Bronzesnake.
nChrist
Global Moderator
Gold Member

May God Lead And Guide Us All

View Profile
« Reply #151 on: August 13, 2004, 04:35:08 AM »

Bronzesnake Said:

You are of course right my friend...it's getting foolish on both of our parts. Message received Captain, I am disengageing ...now!

Bronzesnake.

Brother, maybe I stated that wrong. I was primarily thinking about what I felt lead to do. It's a topic certainly worthy of discussion, but one I feel might lead me to anger. That's something I have been praying about for over a year, and the answer appears to be resisting temptation to become involved in the first place. You don't appear to have that problem, but it appears that Left Coast does.

So, I'm thinking that a safe topic for Left Coast and I to discuss might be bird watching.   Cheesy  It might still be a great discussion between you and John if he could cool things off 50 degrees below boiling.   Cheesy  I think that most of us have buttons someone can push for high temperature settings. I'm trying to either break or short out my high temperature button. OR, maybe God will reduce my wattage some more.

Love In Christ,
Tom

Bronzesnake
« Reply #152 on: August 13, 2004, 05:50:40 PM »

Bronzesnake Said:

Bronzesnake.

Brother, maybe I stated that wrong. I was primarily thinking about what I felt lead to do. It's a topic certainly worthy of discussion, but one I feel might lead me to anger. That's something I have been praying about for over a year, and the answer appears to be resisting temptation to become involved in the first place. You don't appear to have that problem, but it appears that Left Coast does.

So, I'm thinking that a safe topic for Left Coast and I to discuss might be bird watching.   Cheesy  It might still be a great discussion between you and John if he could cool things off 50 degrees below boiling.   Cheesy  I think that most of us have buttons someone can push for high temperature settings. I'm trying to either break or short out my high temperature button. OR, maybe God will reduce my wattage some more.

Love In Christ,
Tom

No my friend - you nailed it on the head. I was beginning to let it slip away with the "don't call me a liar!" stuff Cheesy Sometimes we feel so convicted, or "correct" that we begin to lose sight of the mission, and it's parameters. So - no, you did not state anything wrong.

The real issue is that perhaps the Bible should be preached, and not debated. That's why it's so important to take God literally, except when He is using obvious figurative visions to describe future events as seen through the eyes of His servants at the time of their lives.

You obviously you take Jesus at face value when He tells us His free gift of forgiveness and eternal salvation as paid by His own, willing, sacrifice, is open to all of us, and not only to an elect, select, chosen few.

Thanks my brother!

Bronzesnake
nChrist
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #153 on: August 16, 2004, 12:00:57 AM »

BronzeSnake Said:

You obviously you take Jesus at face value when He tells us His free gift of forgiveness and eternal salvation as paid by His own, willing, sacrifice, is open to all of us, and not only to an elect, select, chosen few.

Thanks my brother!

Bronzesnake

Brother, I take the offer of salvation as one of the only real reasons for hope in this evil world. When I read this post, I was trying to imagine how I might witness to the lost if I thought only a small  number would be accepted. Recognizing one is a sinner and in desperate need of a Saviour is a HUGE and emotional step for a lost person. I could only imagine a HUGE and BOOMING voice from Heaven saying, "You are not on the list - I won't hear your prayer for forgiveness and Christ rejects you." It's a good thing that will NEVER happen. The worst sinner on earth can hear THE WORD, the GOOD NEWS, believe, pray for forgiveness, and ask Jesus Christ to come into their heart as their Lord and Saviour forever.

Brother, you and I know that the GOOD NEWS is for every man, woman, and child on earth, even the worst and most evil. I can't imagine how horrible it would be for some to be born without any hope and doomed to darkness without a hope or prayer of any kind. How could anyone witness and tell them at the same time they would probably be rejected by Christ?

Well, I know that sincere prayers for forgiveness and requests for Jesus to be Lord over their life will NOT be rejected. Brother, I don't have any problem witnessing. The GOOD NEWS and THE CROSS are for everyone. Some will reject it, but that doesn't mean it wasn't offered.

Love In Christ,
Tom

Left Coast

It's all His work

View Profile
« Reply #154 on: August 22, 2004, 07:59:00 PM »

It is more than certain that neither of you are going to change your opinions, and my opinion is set in concrete.

Tom,
My heart is not set in concrete, I am able to change my opinions. Fortunately I have done so several times in my life.
But I will not change my opinion just because someone says, “I am right and you are wrong.”
So far neither you nor Bronze have given solid inarguable evidence that your doctrine is truth.
No one has responded, with substance, to the arguments I have given.
Just think about this for a minute.
How many times does a sin have to be paid for?
I am going to trust you understand only once.
To pay for our sins Jesus literally had to suffer the equivalency of an eternity in hell for every sin we have ever committed. He had to make the full payment.
His Blood washes us clean from our sins.

Re 1:5  And from Jesus Christ, who is the faithful witness, and the first begotten of the dead, and the prince of the kings of the earth. Unto him that loved us, and washed us from our sins in his own blood,

God chose the words very deliberately.
If He paid for the sins of every single person on the planet then there are only two possibilities.
1. No one goes to hell. The sins of Judas - paid. The sins of Hitler - paid. The sins of Saddam’s sons - paid.
If they do go to hell then it is because of the second possibility.
2. Christ gets a refund on the immense suffering He endured. That is not possible.
The only possibility is He only made the payment for those that would become saved.
It could be He knew who would freely choose Him (your way), or it could be He knew who He would choose (my way). It is not possible that he paid for the sins of those that will be in hell.

Tom I know you respect C.H. Spurgeon, if you didn’t you wouldn’t post his Morning and Evening Devotions as you have on a regular basis. http://forums.christiansunite.com/index.php?board=20;action=display;threadid=3561;start=0

If you will not accept my testimony that Christ only paid for the sins of those that he came to save, would you consider looking at what Spurgeon preached on this?
Please for the sake of truth, look at Spurgeon’s Sermon on this very topic.
You say your opinion is set in concrete, so were the Pharisees. If you want to know Gods truth, you must be willing to recognize that you can be in error.
I love you as a brother please understand that what I am going to say is not meant as an attack. When you declare your opinion is set in concrete you are declaring your heart is stone. We are called to be lead by God, that means we have to be open to the truth. No man has perfect understanding. Only God sees and knows all.

1 Corinthians 13:9  For we know in part, and we prophesy in part.

By declaring your opinion is in concrete you are declaring you are infallible.

Matthew 20:28  Even as the Son of man came not to be ministered unto, but to minister, and to give his life a ransom for many.

Many not everyone.

Please look at Spurgeon’s Sermon on this very topic.
Particular Redemption
http://www.spurgeon.org/sermons/0181.htm

The doctrine of Redemption is one of the most important doctrines of the system of faith. A mistake on this point will inevitably lead to a mistake through the entire system of our belief.
All Christians hold that Christ died to redeem, but all Christians do not teach the same redemption. We differ as to the nature of atonement, and as to the design of redemption.
There was never an ill word spoken, nor an ill thought conceived, nor an evil deed done, for which God will not have punishment from some one or another. He will either have satisfaction from you, or else from Christ.
For man's sin God demands eternal punishment; and God hath prepared a Hell into which He casts those who die impenitent.

Left Coast, I have no problem in calling you brother, but I disagree with you completely on your doctrine. It is set in concrete that Jesus Christ died on the cross for ALL - EVERYONE who will believe, confess, and ask forgiveness to the LORD AND SAVIOUR for ALL who call on HIS Name as LORD over their lives.

It is not set in concrete Tom, your heart is. You have openly said you will not allow yourself to be lead in any other direction on this. With an attitude like that, how can God lead you?
John, I know it makes you angry that I won't debate this with you, but I don't feel led to debate matters like this.
It doesn’t make me angry Tom, sad would be a better word.
I do believe that the reason you post in the debate forum, and then proclaim you will not debate is because you know your stance is weak. It will not stand up to the bible, when the bible is taken in it’s entirety.  
Anyone, and I mean ANYONE can hear the Word of God, believe in the GOOD NEWS OF THE CROSS, and accept Jesus Christ as their Lord and Saviour.
Not according to scripture.

Romans 10:14  How then shall they call on him in whom they have not believed? and how shall they believe in him of whom they have not heard? and how shall they hear without a preacher?

If what you say is true we wouldn’t need preachers, missionaries, or evangelists.
If what you say is true then there would be an equal percentage of Christians on every part of the globe.

There really isn't any mystery at all about predestination.
You have confused predestinate with foreknowledge.
They are completely different terms no more alike than water and stone.

Romans 8:29  For whom he did foreknow, he also did predestinate to be conformed to the image of his Son, that he might be the firstborn among many brethren.
Romans 8:30  Moreover whom he did predestinate, them he also called: and whom he called, them he also justified: and whom he justified, them he also glorified.

Foreknow
From the Greek, proginosko

Predestinate
From the Greek, proorizo

The scripture says He FOREKNEW who He was GOING TO PREDESTINATE, those He predestinated He called.
Everyone He calls WILL become saved, God is not impotent, He cannot fail.

Psalms 65:4 Blessed is the man whom thou choosest, and causest to approach unto thee, that he may dwell in thy courts: we shall be satisfied with the goodness of thy house, even of thy holy temple.

Foreknowledge by ALMIGHTY GOD does not suggest that you were somehow commanded or created as a robot that would accept Jesus Christ as your personal Lord and Saviour.
The robot idea always comes up with you folks. I have addressed it many times before. We are not robots, we have been rescued - saved.
I suppose the reason you view it as being a robot is you see salvation as being dependent on your work. If you are forced to do the work then by necessity you are either a robot or a slave.
We are spiritually dead we are rescued because God gives us life. Our hearts do not function, God gives us a heart that works. A RESCUE.
When Jesus called Lazarus from the dead was Lazarus a robot?
The Lord was painting a picture of salvation.
It is more than obvious that HE wishes all men to be saved,
If what you say is true then why would God send strong delusion?

2Th 2:11 And for this cause God shall send them strong delusion, that they should believe a lie:

so why not simply COMMAND it or breathe it SO and DONE.
Because that is not His way.

Romans 9:18  Therefore hath he mercy on whom he will have mercy, and whom he will he hardeneth.
Romans 9:19  Thou wilt say then unto me, Why doth he yet find fault? For who hath resisted his will?
Romans 9:20  Nay but, O man, who art thou that repliest against God? Shall the thing formed say to him that formed it, Why hast thou made me thus?
Romans 9:21  Hath not the potter power over the clay, of the same lump to make one vessel unto honour, and another unto dishonour?
Romans 9:22  What if God, willing to shew his wrath, and to make his power known, endured with much longsuffering the vessels of wrath fitted to destruction:
Romans 9:23  And that he might make known the riches of his glory on the vessels of mercy, which he had afore prepared unto glory,
Romans 9:24  Even us, whom he hath called, not of the Jews only, but also of the Gentiles?

Romans 9:19  Thou wilt say then unto me, Why doth he yet find fault? For who hath resisted his will?

You think it is possible to resist Gods will, IT IS NOT.
All that God has given to Jesus will come to him. GOD cannot fail.

John 6:37 All that the Father giveth me shall come to me; and him that cometh to me I will in no wise cast out.

Jesus only prays for those God has given him.
John 17:9 I pray for them: I pray not for the world, but for them which thou hast given me; for they are thine.

True or False?

I see through the smoke and mirrors of your beliefs because they were once mine.
You don’t understand my beliefs so you see robots, and you can’t answer the questions I have asked.
How can you sell your product if you won’t answer the questions?

Luke 24:45  Then opened he their understanding, that they might understand the scriptures,
John 6:29  Jesus answered and said unto them, This is the work of God, that ye believe on him whom he hath sent.
Left Coast

It's all His work

View Profile
« Reply #155 on: August 22, 2004, 08:01:13 PM »

It's a topic certainly worthy of discussion, but one I feel might lead me to anger. That's something I have been praying about for over a year, and the answer appears to be resisting temptation to become involved in the first place. You don't appear to have that problem, but it appears that Left Coast does.

Love In Christ,
Tom
Tom,
I am not angry at all. Not one little bit.
The only thing that has angered me is the unfair banning of certain individuals from this forum.
I do need to defend myself though. If someone accuses you of saying things you did not say, what are you going to think? What would you do?
Trust me, I am not angry at all, but it would be nice to debate with someone who would debate from what I have said rather than making up things that I have never said or believed.
Those are the types of things a false witness does. They make things up.

Luke 24:45  Then opened he their understanding, that they might understand the scriptures,
John 6:29  Jesus answered and said unto them, This is the work of God, that ye believe on him whom he hath sent.
Left Coast

It's all His work

View Profile
« Reply #156 on: August 22, 2004, 08:03:19 PM »

When I read this post, I was trying to imagine how I might witness to the lost if I thought only a small  number would be accepted.
Very simple to answer, we can’t know the mind of God. We can’t know who he is going to save and who he is not.
We witness to every person on the HOPE that God will work on their heart.

Romans 10:17  So then faith cometh by hearing, and hearing by the word of God.

Philippians 2:13  For it is God which worketh in you both to will and to do of his good pleasure.

I could only imagine a HUGE and BOOMING voice from Heaven saying, "You are not on the list - I won't hear your prayer for forgiveness and Christ rejects you." It's a good thing that will NEVER happen.
Of course it will never happen, it comes from your imagination.
Who has said that would ever happen?

Brother, you and I know that the GOOD NEWS is for every man, woman, and child on earth, even the worst and most evil.
Unless of course they have become mentally incapable through disease or brain injury.
I can’t imagine having a doctrine dependent on the brain of man.
I can’t imagine a God condemning someone to hell because they were not able to do the required work of believing when they never even heard of Jesus to believe in him.
I can't imagine how horrible it would be for some to be born without any hope and doomed to darkness without a hope or prayer of any kind.
Yet the bible says all sorts of people are in that exact position, having never heard the gospel.

Romans 10:14  How then shall they call on him in whom they have not believed? and how shall they believe in him of whom they have not heard? and how shall they hear without a preacher?

How could anyone witness and tell them at the same time they would probably be rejected by Christ?
You wouldn’t, who said you would?
What a foolish statement.
No one can know the mind of GOD!
No one can know who God will save and who He will not.

Well, I know that sincere prayers for forgiveness and requests for Jesus to be Lord over their life will NOT be rejected.
And true sincerity comes from a heart that has been changed by God.

Left Coast

It's all His work

View Profile
« Reply #157 on: August 22, 2004, 08:07:21 PM »

A couple of people have brought up the idea that the elect are limited to the nation of Israel.
Perhaps this will help to clarify.

Romans 9:24  Even us, whom he hath called, not of the Jews only, but also of the Gentiles?

It is not limited to the Jews.
God had a special relationship to the nation of Israel.
God also has a special relationship to the brick and mortar churches.
The two relationships are similar.
There have been people on this forum that believed that Gods perfect Church was made up of the brick building and the people that run it.
The reality is Gods perfect church is a heavenly church made up of all true believers of various denominations. It is a spiritual church.
This does not change the fact that God has established and blessed various physical churches on this planet.
God uses the Nation of Israel as a picture the Heavenly Israel of God. The Heavenly Israel is made up of true believers from various denominations.
While I could leave you with several posts in an attempt to show you this truth, the fact is God must show you.
I will give you a couple of pieces of the puzzle.
Egypt was and is a physical nation. God also uses Egypt as a picture of the dominion of Satan. That does not mean Egypt is more evil than any other people.
As you read the bible see if you can understand how Egypt is being used to show the dominion of Satan.
A key verse to show this is:

Revelation 11:8  And their dead bodies shall lie in the street of the great city, which spiritually is called Sodom and Egypt, where also our Lord was crucified.

Jesus was not crucified in Egypt.
Here is a hint that God uses Israel as a picture of the body of believers.
When the Lord returns the earth will be destroyed. God will then create an entirely new earth.

2 Peter 3:10  But the day of the Lord will come as a thief in the night; in the which the heavens shall pass away with a great noise, and the elements shall melt with fervent heat, the earth also and the works that are therein shall be burned up.

Yet God had promised Israel the promised land FOREVER.

Genesis 13:15  For all the land which thou seest, to thee will I give it, and to thy seed for ever.

The promise was established with Abraham.
Who are the children of Abraham?
Physically they are the nation of Israel.

Deuteronomy 34:4  And the LORD said unto him, This is the land which I sware unto Abraham, unto Isaac, and unto Jacob, saying, I will give it unto thy seed: I have caused thee to see it with thine eyes, but thou shalt not go over thither.

Yet that physical land will be destroyed in the end.
This is the important connection.
Spiritually Abrahams children are the true believers.

Romans 4:11  And he received the sign of circumcision, a seal of the righteousness of the faith which he had yet being uncircumcised: that he might be the father of all them that believe, though they be not circumcised; that righteousness might be imputed unto them also:

This is the Israel and elect of God.

Galatians 3:29  And if ye be Christ’s, then are ye Abraham’s seed, and heirs according to the promise.

John

I do have one more post in me but it must wait, I wasn't even home for a day before I must leave again.

nChrist
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #158 on: August 23, 2004, 07:00:51 AM »

Left Coast,

I've read your posts and understand your beliefs. You are a Brother in Christ, and I won't debate your beliefs with you. I'll save you the time of stating I don't have a valid argument. I have a barrage of hard evidence from the Holy Bible, but I won't waste my time. You are already saved, and we can simply agree to disagree. BronzeSnake can argue with you if he wishes, but I have better things to do with my time. I already know you will have several negative comments about this post, so go ahead and make them and have the last word.

In reference to banning, I don't have the power to do that. I simply compile copies of posts and make a recommendation to ADMIN. ADMIN is a full grown and mature Christian, and the CU server is owned by him. Someone's use of Christians Unite is exactly like you inviting someone into your home to visit. You don't have to ask anyone about removing that guest from your house, and neither does ADMIN. You've made your point over and over that you disagree with some who were banned, so that is old news that won't change. I doubt that you will allow anyone to tell you who will or will not be in your home, and the same is obviously true with ADMIN. As a volunteer, I appreciate his wisdom and actions to maintain services to thousands of Christian web sites and provide Christians Unite Forum to over 2,000 users. Christians Unite is stronger than ever, and that isn't an accident. ADMIN is a very intelligent man, but he also has a Lord and Saviour who leads and guides him. You got the 10 cent tour free from me. For the other 90 cents, take a look at the main portion of Christians Unite.

By the way, the Holy Bible is set in concrete, not my heart.

Love In Christ,
Tom

SavedByGrace02

MY BOSS IS A JEWISH CARPENTER!

View Profile
« Reply #159 on: August 24, 2004, 07:14:16 PM »

Along w/ a question like that usually comes the question concerning what is the TRUTH? because here we have good and evil only and that (im sure you already heard) is either God or the devil. you have to ask yourself many other questions that tie to why so many believe in God, questions about other world religions, then you have to ask yourself the question concerning Jesus Christ, is he really real? or is he fake? did people make up that story? could it really happen that a women who has never slept w/ anyone all of a sudden become pregnant w/ the Son of God? to the very last question Where is Christs flesh and bones? are they in his tomb? why is the tomb open to this very day? why are all of the other prophets you can dig up their bones by Christ's cannot be found? is this really just a made up story? all of this should boil down to this: Well if this is all true, then WHO is the truth?

But first and foremost ask yourself these questions: Who am I, Why am I here? (is there a purpose to life?) And where am I going? (heaven or hell?)

"I love the Lord...You see! I looove the Lord! and if loving the Lord is wrong, I DONT WANT TO BE RIGHT!" ~The crazy Rev. from the movie Comming to America~
Left Coast

It's all His work

View Profile
« Reply #160 on: August 28, 2004, 06:08:57 PM »

In reference to banning, I don't have the power to do that. I simply compile copies of posts and make a recommendation to ADMIN. ADMIN is a full grown and mature Christian, and the CU server is owned by him. Someone's use of Christians Unite is exactly like you inviting someone into your home to visit. You don't have to ask anyone about removing that guest from your house, and neither does ADMIN. You've made your point over and over that you disagree with some who were banned, so that is old news that won't change. I doubt that you will allow anyone to tell you who will or will not be in your home, and the same is obviously true with ADMIN. As a volunteer, I appreciate his wisdom and actions to maintain services to thousands of Christian web sites and provide Christians Unite Forum to over 2,000 users. Christians Unite is stronger than ever, and that isn't an accident. ADMIN is a very intelligent man, but he also has a Lord and Saviour who leads and guides him. You got the 10 cent tour free from me. For the other 90 cents, take a look at the main portion of Christians Unite.
Tom
It wasn’t my intention to get into the banning issue.
You had commented I was angry, when I was not.
You said,
It's a topic certainly worthy of discussion, but one I feel might lead me to anger. That's something I have been praying about for over a year, and the answer appears to be resisting temptation to become involved in the first place. You don't appear to have that problem, but it appears that Left Coast does.

So, I'm thinking that a safe topic for Left Coast and I to discuss might be bird watching.   Cheesy  It might still be a great discussion between you and John if he could cool things off 50 degrees below boiling.   Cheesy

I tried to explain I was not angry at all.
Not one bit.
There is only one thing that has made me angry on this forum. So I stated what that was.
Tom,
I am not angry at all. Not one little bit.
The only thing that has angered me is the unfair banning of certain individuals from this forum.
I do need to defend myself though. If someone accuses you of saying things you did not say, what are you going to think? What would you do?
Trust me, I am not angry at all, but it would be nice to debate with someone who would debate from what I have said rather than making up things that I have never said or believed.
Those are the types of things a false witness does. They make things up.
As you know I have said ADMIN has the right to do what he wants, it’s his forum.
But just because he has the right doesn’t make it right.
If you go to Singapore and chew gum they have the right to cane you. It is their right, but it doesn’t make it right.
If you go to Iran and are found guilty of stealing they have the right to cut off your arm, that doesn’t make it right.
If you go to all sorts of countries and preach Jesus Christ they have the right to do all sorts of horrible things to you, but it doesn’t make it right.
I have made it very clear I will no longer continue on this forum, after this particular topic has been exhausted - (and all the wanderings of this topic) - you will no longer hear from me.
You wish to preach to the pulpit on this forum.
I believe it is necessary to go into all the world and preach the gospel.
All the world includes people like Heidi, and Michael, evolutionists, SDA’s, ETC.
The success of the forum in numbers has never been the question. It is very clear to me after trying to debate this issue with Bronze that a vast number of your 2,000 members are either unable to debate, or are unwilling to debate, the topics.
When I present questions either there is no response or I am accused of believing and saying things I never brought up or believed, false witness.
How do you expect to sell your product?
You go into the G.M. dealer to buy a pickup.
You ask the salesman how many mpg you get with the diesel engine.
The salesman says, “you think a Dodge has more power with their Hemi, that’s because you don’t care about our oil reserves.”
Then you ask the salesman about the warrantee. He replies, “why don’t you go look at the red one over there?”
Would you buy a truck from the guy?
That is how this debate has felt to me, either there is no reply, or I am accused of saying or believing in something I never said or believed in.
While those types of debates are expected in the political world they serve no purpose for truth seekers.
I am sorry if you feel criticism is negative, some people view criticism as input for improvement.
I believe my criticism is valid, you do not, we can leave it there.

Left Coast

It's all His work

View Profile
« Reply #161 on: August 28, 2004, 06:11:48 PM »

By the way, the Holy Bible is set in concrete, not my heart.
That is not what you said earlier.
You said your opinion was set in concrete. Your opinion is your understanding of the Holy Bible.
It is more than certain that neither of you are going to change your opinions, and my opinion is set in concrete.
My opinion is not set in concrete.
Thanks to God, I learned a long time ago that my concrete opinions can be very, very wrong.
Thanks to God, I began to understand there is only one true God. I began to ask Him to show me truth. I have had one continual prayer for many years.
Every time before I read the bible, every day, I pray with all my heart that God will open my eyes to the truth.
Every day I plead with God that if my understanding is in error He will not only lead me to the truth, but He will also keep me from teaching what is not true.
I plead with God for mercy and wisdom and understanding.
I want to be absolutely certain I know God in truth.

Hebrews 11:6  But without faith it is impossible to please him: for he that cometh to God must believe that he is, and that he is a rewarder of them that diligently seek him.

I have gone down wrong paths before, they often look like the right one.
My opinion is based on the bible and the bible alone, nothing more and nothing less. No dreams no visions, not the teachings of men and their imaginations, but the bible only.
While you can’t see it, I have found my understanding to be in absolute harmony with the whole bible.
You have had to add to the bible an age of accountability because you understand there are babies that will be in heaven, but your doctrine won’t work for them. They can’t perform it.
Your age of accountability requires you to reject part of the Bible, because the Bible says we are estranged from God as soon as we are born.

Psalms 58:3  The wicked are estranged from the womb: they go astray as soon as they be born, speaking lies.

You must add to the bible and you must take away from the bible, for your doctrine to work. If the bible is set in concrete why do that?
There are many other errors in your “opinions”, you don’t wish to discuss them, I do understand your reluctance.
My opinion is not set in concrete, I know I can and will be wrong. I seek God for guidance. I am confident He is faithful to me, he knows when and how to open my understanding.
Your opinion is set in concrete, you feel you have infallible understanding. Many people feel they have infallible doctrine or their church has infallible doctrine.
Who is God going to lead?
Those that refuse to be lead, or those that plead with Him to lead them?
I am going to go with the latter.

Left Coast

It's all His work

View Profile
« Reply #162 on: August 28, 2004, 06:16:10 PM »

I suspect (I have said this before) that this will be my last post on this forum.
It is a long post, about half of it is scripture.

Part 1
This is hopefully a clearer attempt at addressing WHOSOEVER

John 3:16  For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.

This is probably the most quoted verse of scripture.
Today, thanks to the prompting of teachers, most people view the verse as an invitation. It is not an invitation, it is a statement of fact.
It is a fact that everyone that believes in Jesus will not perish, they will have everlasting life.
The Greek word in the original language translated ‘whosoever’ is the word <PAS>, it is almost always translated ‘all’.
All that believeth in him should not perish...
One question is:
What does it mean to believe?
Unfortunately many people think that knowing who Jesus is, is believing in him.
All sorts of people claim to believe in Jesus:
Methodists, Pentecostals, Dutch Reformed, Catholic, Mennonite, Freewill Baptist, Reformed Baptist, Episcopalian, Orthodox, Etc. all believe in Jesus. Yet their doctrines and beliefs vary radically from each other.
Consider the Southern Baptists. 100 years ago the beliefs of the Southern Baptists were radically different than they are today.
There are others that many consider to be way out there:
Mormons, Seventh Day Adventist, and Jehovah’s Witnesses, all have a belief in Jesus.
There are some that believe in Jesus and reincarnation.
There are new age Jesus believers.
Clearly there is more to believing than meets the eye.
When Jesus returns many people that had a belief in Jesus, and even felt they were working for him will find themselves spending all of eternity in the Lake Of Fire.

Matthew 7:21  Not every one that saith unto me, Lord, Lord, shall enter into the kingdom of heaven; but he that doeth the will of my Father which is in heaven.
Matthew 7:22  Many will say to me in that day, Lord, Lord, have we not prophesied in thy name? and in thy name have cast out devils? and in thy name done many wonderful works?
Matthew 7:23  And then will I profess unto them, I never knew you: depart from me, ye that work iniquity.

It is not so simple to believe, as many would like you to think.
Everyone that believes in Jesus will become saved, but it is not a belief that can be accomplished by mans will.
It is a belief done by God. His mercy, not mans choice.

Romans 9:16  So then it is not of him that willeth, nor of him that runneth, but of God that sheweth mercy.

Those that receive him, that believe on his name do so not by any ability in man. It is entirely Gods work.

John 1:12  But as many as received him, to them gave he power to become the sons of God, even to them that believe on his name:
John 1:13  Which were born, not of blood, nor of the will of the flesh, nor of the will of man, but of God.

Saving belief is the work of God.

No one can resist Gods will.

Paul did not make a freewill decision for Christ. Most people on this forum know the story.
Saul (Paul) was on his way to destroy Christians when the Lord appeared before Saul with such a presence that choice was not involved. (Acts 8 and 9)
Paul was certain his salvation was by Gods will and not his own.
Of the 14 epistles written by Paul, in 10 of them he begins the letter by making it clear he was called, or chosen by the will of God.

Romans 1:1  Paul, a servant of Jesus Christ, called to be an apostle, separated unto the gospel of God,

1 Corinthians 1:1  Paul, called to be an apostle of Jesus Christ through the will of God, and Sosthenes our brother,

2 Corinthians 1:1  Paul, an apostle of Jesus Christ by the will of God, and Timothy our brother, unto the church of God which is at Corinth, with all the saints which are in all Achaia:

Galatians 1:1  Paul, an apostle, (not of men, neither by man, but by Jesus Christ, and God the Father, who raised him from the dead;)
Galatians 1:15  But when it pleased God, who separated me from my mother‘s womb, and called me by his grace,
Galatians 1:16  To reveal his Son in me, that I might preach him among the heathen; immediately I conferred not with flesh and blood:

Ephesians 1:1  Paul, an apostle of Jesus Christ by the will of God, to the saints which are at Ephesus, and to the faithful in Christ Jesus:
Ephesians 1:4  According as he hath chosen us in him before the foundation of the world, that we should be holy and without blame before him in love:
Ephesians 1:5  Having predestinated us unto the adoption of children by Jesus Christ to himself, according to the good pleasure of his will,

Think about that last verse.
A child does not adopt the parent, we are adopted by Jesus to himself according to his pleasure.

Ephesians 1:9  Having made known unto us the mystery of his will, according to his good pleasure which he hath purposed in himself:
Ephesians 1:11  In whom also we have obtained an inheritance, being predestinated according to the purpose of him who worketh all things after the counsel of his own will:

Colossians 1:1  Paul, an apostle of Jesus Christ by the will of God, and Timotheus our brother,

1 Timothy 1:1  Paul, an apostle of Jesus Christ by the commandment of God our Saviour, and Lord Jesus Christ, which is our hope;

2 Timothy 1:1  Paul, an apostle of Jesus Christ by the will of God, according to the promise of life which is in Christ Jesus,
2 Timothy 1:9  Who hath saved us, and called us with an holy calling, not according to our works, but according to his own purpose and grace, which was given us in Christ Jesus before the world began,

Titus 1:1  Paul, a servant of God, and an apostle of Jesus Christ, according to the faith of God’s elect, and the acknowledging of the truth which is after godliness;

With the exception of Philemon, Paul continues to preach salvation is by Gods calling and work in the remaining epistles.

2 Thessalonians 2:13  But we are bound to give thanks alway to God for you, brethren beloved of the Lord, because God hath from the beginning chosen you to salvation through sanctification of the Spirit and belief of the truth:
2 Thessalonians 2:14  Whereunto he called you by our gospel, to the obtaining of the glory of our Lord Jesus Christ.

God is faithful, if he has called you he will save you.

1 Thessalonians 5:24  Faithful is he that calleth you, who also will do it.

It is Gods work that you become saved. He has pleasure in those he saves.

Philippians 2:13  For it is God which worketh in you both to will and to do of his good pleasure.

Paul clearly gave the full credit of salvation to God.
Paul preached, time and time again, salvation is dependent on God calling you and working in you.
Paul preached God chose (elected) who He was going to save.
Paul preached God is faithful in this and God cannot fail.
No where does Paul say, “I chose Christ.”
No where does Paul take credit for believing.
Maybe someone might want to suggest Paul didn’t understand. Somehow his understanding was tainted by his personal experience.

Left Coast

It's all His work

View Profile
« Reply #163 on: August 28, 2004, 06:21:31 PM »

Part 2
Does Peter claim salvation was by his freewill decision?
Not that I know of.

1 Peter 1:2  Elect according to the foreknowledge of God the Father, through sanctification of the Spirit, unto obedience and sprinkling of the blood of Jesus Christ: Grace unto you, and peace, be multiplied.

2 Peter 1:3  According as his divine power hath given unto us all things that pertain unto life and godliness, through the knowledge of him that hath called us to glory and virtue:

Show me if I am wrong, nowhere does Peter claim he made a freewill decision for Christ.
Some say Joshua told Israel that they could choose salvation. That is not what he said.

Joshua 24:15  And if it seem evil unto you to serve the LORD, choose you this day whom ye will serve; whether the gods which your fathers served that were on the other side of the flood, or the gods of the Amorites, in whose land ye dwell: but as for me and my house, we will serve the LORD.

We can choose to sin, or we can choose not to sin.
We can choose to follow God and show him we sincerely want to spend eternity with him, or we can follow other paths. If we want to be saved we should show God we are serious about such a desire.
If we really want to be one of Gods we need to let ourselves be lead by him.
Man has no right to claim his own doctrine is infallible. When we refuse to accept the possibility we could be wrong we are no longer following God.
I know of no one, in the bible, that claims they are saved by their freewill decision.
Yet that is the common declaration today. Everyone wants to tell you when they accepted Jesus.
By claiming believing is in every persons capability, and it is up to you to do it, freewill salvation is boasting a superior ability over nonbelievers.

Ephesians 2:8  For by grace are ye saved through faith; and that not of yourselves: it is the gift of God:
Ephesians 2:9  Not of works, lest any man should boast.  

Believing in Jesus requires effort and ability, or it is a blessing. It is either a work, or it is a gift.
The freewill doctrine would make it your work.
Both Paul and Peter claim they were saved as a result of God choosing them and calling them. Not that they chose God.
Jesus also says this is the way.

John 6:44  No man can come to me, except the Father which hath sent me draw him: and I will raise him up at the last day.

Some claim God draws everyone. Such a claim does not have the support of scripture.
Jesus says that all that the father gives him will come to him. He will lose none of them.
God cannot fail.

John 6:37  All that the Father giveth me shall come to me; and him that cometh to me I will in no wise cast out.
John 6:38  For I came down from heaven, not to do mine own will, but the will of him that sent me.
John 6:39  And this is the Father’s will which hath sent me, that of all which he hath given me I should lose nothing, but should raise it up again at the last day.
John 6:40  And this is the will of him that sent me, that every one which seeth the Son, and believeth on him, may have everlasting life: and I will raise him up at the last day.

Did you notice Jesus ties believing to those God has given to him?
I know this has been long, remember Matthew 7:21?

Matthew 7:21  Not every one that saith unto me, Lord, Lord, shall enter into the kingdom of heaven; but he that doeth the will of my Father which is in heaven.

Those that do the Fathers will are those he has given to Jesus.
I feel I have covered believing in enough depth to show that it is a result of God working in us.
A couple more verses:

Psalms 65:4  Blessed is the man whom thou choosest, and causest to approach unto thee, that he may dwell in thy courts: we shall be satisfied with the goodness of thy house, even of thy holy temple.

Romans 8:14  For as many as are led by the Spirit of God, they are the sons of God.

It is sometimes taught, usually by those that preach salvation by your freewill action, that election means you don’t do anything. You just wait for God to slap you upside the head with salvation.
While this may be somewhat true, it is a foolish path to take.
The true gospel is available to all types of people and it is not limited by mental capability.

Romans 3:23  For all have sinned, and come short of the glory of God;

All have sinned, there are no exceptions.
God can save tiny infants and the mentally incompetent.
Some are born mentally incompetent, others lose their mental competence later in life through injury or illness.
Freewill has tried to address babies by inventing a doctrine called, ‘the age of accountability’. It is not in the bible. It is the result of a need to fill a gap in their doctrine.
Some claim babies don’t sin so they have never been estranged from God. The bible says we are estranged from God as soon as we are born.

Psalms 58:3  The wicked are estranged from the womb: they go astray as soon as they be born, speaking lies.

Isaiah 48:8  Yea, thou heardest not; yea, thou knewest not; yea, from that time that thine ear was not opened: for I knew that thou wouldest deal very treacherously, and wast called a transgressor from the womb.

Until we become saved we are counted among the wicked.
God does save babies, but it is completely his work.
While the freewill teachers have tried to address those that are born without mental capabilities, they have no solution for those that have lived a life of sin and lost their mental capabilities.
God can save those unfortunate ones also, it is his choice.

Romans 9:18  Therefore hath he mercy on whom he will have mercy, and whom he will he hardeneth.

I think I can safely say few on this forum are in the mentally incompetent category. We tend to see others as being like us. It is hard to imagine that someone could not make a freewill decision.
Some have lost loved ones to Alzheimers, or have seen loved ones lose their mental ability through stroke or injury.
Others have loved ones who are in deep coma. The soul is hanging on to the body through life support.
If salvation was dependent on making a freewill decision then these loved ones would have no hope.
Fortunately salvation is dependent on Gods mercy.
For those of us that do have the mental ability I would recommend doing everything possible to get yourself saved.
Prayerfully read the scripture, and look to God for your understanding.
Leave yourself open to the possibility that what you think is right is not, allow God to lead you.
Plead with God to save you, and don’t quit just because you think you are saved.

Luke 18:13  And the publican, standing afar off, would not lift up so much as his eyes unto heaven, but smote upon his breast, saying, God be merciful to me a sinner.

Most importantly turn away from your sins.
Do everything you can to repent. Plead with God to make you faithful.
Having a belief in Jesus is an important first step. Ask God to give you true faith.

Mark 9:24  And straightway the father of the child cried out, and said with tears, Lord, I believe; help thou mine unbelief.

God chooses who he is going to save not because there is something special about them.
Not because they are wiser, or kinder, or prettier, or because of any quality in them. He has his own reason for choosing who he is going to save.
He chose to save Jacob instead of Esau to show that salvation was a result of his choosing. He did it to prove election.

Romans 9:11  (For the children being not yet born, neither having done any good or evil, that the purpose of God according to election might stand, not of works, but of him that calleth;)
Romans 9:12  It was said unto her, The elder shall serve the younger.
Romans 9:13  As it is written, Jacob have I loved, but Esau have I hated.
Romans 9:14 ¶  What shall we say then? Is there unrighteousness with God? God forbid.
Romans 9:15  For he saith to Moses, I will have mercy on whom I will have mercy, and I will have compassion on whom I will have compassion.
Romans 9:16  So then it is not of him that willeth, nor of him that runneth, but of God that sheweth mercy.

I pray God blesses you,
Goodbye,
John

energizerbunny

Allow God to lead.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #164 on: September 07, 2004, 05:18:57 PM »

God exists!  I have seen his face:
"Blessed are the pure in heart, for they will see God.

And let me tell you something, it is beautiful.  I can see his hand in every good and every growth in this world.  When you get up in the morning, do you consider the sunrise?  How can that be done without God?  I pray that you might see him and know him someday.  

Besides, even if he doesn't exist (which I believe he does) it wouldn't hurt to prepare as if he did. . . .

I broke a rule; I prayed in school.  (Yeah! I'm a real menance to society.)
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

More From ChristiansUnite...    About Us | Privacy Policy | | ChristiansUnite.com Site Map | Statement of Beliefs

Copyright © 1999-2019 ChristiansUnite.com. All rights reserved.
Please send your questions, comments, or bug reports to the