Webmasters
• Christian Guestbooks
• Banner Exchange
• Dynamic Content

Subscribe to our Free Newsletter.
Enter your email address:

ChristiansUnite
Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 20, 2024, 12:14:17 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Our Lord Jesus Christ loves you.
286799 Posts in 27568 Topics by 3790 Members
Latest Member: Goodwin
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  ChristiansUnite Forums
|-+  Theology
| |-+  Prophecy - Current Events (Moderator: admin)
| | |-+  Isaiah and Isaiah 53
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Isaiah and Isaiah 53  (Read 2072 times)
TrevorL

I'm a llama!

View Profile
« on: June 12, 2004, 06:10:08 AM »

Isaiah and Isaiah 53

I would appreciate if anyone has any comments on the Book of Isaiah and Isaiah 53. Isaiah has been of interest to me for some years, and although I have not done a comprehensive study of each chapter, each new insight to a chapter or verse makes life more interesting.

My favourite sections are Isaiah ch.2, ch.6, 8:9-18, ch.12, 29:22-24, ch.40, the four servant songs (1) 42:1-7, (2) 49:1-6, (3) 50:4-9, (4) 52:13-53:12 and ch.55, 64:1-5, 66:1-2.

Reading the history of the four kings Uzziah, Jotham, Ahaz and Hezekiah in both Kings and Chronicles and Isaiah 36-39 helps to understand the context of Isaiah's initial message. He speaks of future things, but often in the context of what was happening in the day of each respective king. For instance Isaiah 6:1 (KJV): "In the year that king Uzziah died I saw also the Lord sitting upon a throne, high and lifted up, and his train filled the temple." gives a vision of Jesus as the future king/priest in contrast to Uzziah who attempted to usurp this dual role.

The book appears to be in historical sequence. Some indication of this is chapters 1-6 in Uzziah's reign - refer 6:1, chapters 7-12 Ahaz's reign - refer 7:1 and 14:28, chapters 36ff Hezekiah's reign.

Another insight is how Isaiah is quoted by Jesus and the Apostles. This enhances both the NT records and helps us to understand Isaiah, giving us a Divinely inspired commentary on the message of Isaiah. Isaiah 53 is often quoted in the NT applying Isaiah 53 to the sufferings of Jesus. One comprehensive quotation of Isaiah 53 is in 1 Peter 2:18-25.

Isaiah 53 can also be seen in the perspective of Hezekiah. His suffering is a pattern of Christ's greater suffering and work. The following could apply to Hezekiah: Isaiah 53:10 (KJV): "he shall see his seed, he shall prolong his days, and the pleasure of the LORD shall prosper in his hand." I believe that Isaiah gave this prophecy before Hezekiah's recovery from his sickness.

Kind regards
Trevor
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

More From ChristiansUnite...    About Us | Privacy Policy | | ChristiansUnite.com Site Map | Statement of Beliefs

Copyright © 1999-2019 ChristiansUnite.com. All rights reserved.
Please send your questions, comments, or bug reports to the