Webmasters
• Christian Guestbooks
• Banner Exchange
• Dynamic Content

Subscribe to our Free Newsletter.
Enter your email address:

ChristiansUnite
Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 08:38:09 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Our Lord Jesus Christ loves you.
286776 Posts in 27568 Topics by 3790 Members
Latest Member: Goodwin
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  ChristiansUnite Forums
|-+  Prayer
| |-+  General Discussion (Moderator: admin)
| | |-+  For the prayer warrior
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: For the prayer warrior  (Read 1623 times)
Whitehorse
Gold Member

I'll think of something.

View Profile
« on: May 30, 2003, 09:41:14 PM »

A really great read for power-packing the prayer life and sweetening it at the same time:
The Power of Prayer in a Believer's Life by CHarles Spurgeon. It's edited by Robert Hall, and published by Emerald Books in Lynnwood, Washington. I think this book is a synthesis of several of Spurgeon's sermons, put together into a single book. THought I'd pass it along. Anyone else know of any great books on the subject?

Thanks!

chanelle

I'm a llama!

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2003, 11:05:44 PM »

I haven't read that one right now but am currently in a book study about prayer.  I am looking for some good books about improving prayer life and praying more effectively.  A good book if you haven't read it is "The Purpose Driven Life" by Rick Warren.  Included is a section about prayer.

Also any study of Psalms would probably be helpful as the book itself is full of beautiful prayers.  David is fascinating to me.  Another simpler seeming idea; "The Prayer of Jabez" and "Every Prayer in the Bible" by Larry Richards.

Got any good book ideas on spiritual warfare?  It is another current study plan of my own.  Thanks for the post Whitehorse.
Whitehorse
Gold Member

I'll think of something.

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2003, 11:55:06 PM »

Spiritual Warfare, yes, indeed! In fact I'm doing a really intensive study on it right now. THe most helpful works I've found are from the 1600's, because I find that spiritual warfare often attends persecution, because persecution is one of the firey darts. My favorites are:

Precious Remedies Against Satan's Devices by Thomas Brooks
   currently published by Banner of Truth
Heaven on Earth: A Treatise on CHristian Assurance by Thomas    Brooks, also published by BOT (I also have Brokks's       collective works. Very, very good for the life in general;    really battles well from every angle of the faith.) Also       BOT.
Grace Abounding to the Chief of Sinners (John Bunyan's       personal testimony of his salvation and terrible battle       with satan.) Actually, I have his collective works which    also deal with his other battles with satan surrounding    his imprisonment/persecution. Also published by BOT.
War Against The Saints by Jessie Penn-Lewis. This was a       research done about the Welsh revival- a really big gun    for the badly afflicted saint. This particular work has to    do more with demonic activity on a really deep level. A    classic, I've been told; this is a reprint by Whitaker House.
Spiritual Warfare by Ray Stedman (contemporary). A basic book    for those who are seekers, new believers, or those just    beginning to familiarize themselves with the principles of    spiritual warfare. Faithful, but very basic. Published by    Discovery House.
I'll get you some more titles as well. Thanks for the tip on those prayer books! I can't wait to try them out!

Symphony
Gold Member

I'm a llama!

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2003, 07:52:09 PM »

Hmmm, these are really into it.  I just read the Bible, mostly.  And current magazines...

But prayer warriors we do need to be.  And conscious of spiritual warfare.  Of course, those do go hand in hand.  The more we pray, the more we'll be aware of the warefare, as we are all being "fattened up" for "the kill"...(hehe)...
Whitehorse
Gold Member

I'll think of something.

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2003, 10:34:03 PM »

Yup, the Bible is most important, and I spend lots of time in that each day. But the other books are extremely helpful for learning how others handled situations and what to remember under certain circumstances.

Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

More From ChristiansUnite...    About Us | Privacy Policy | | ChristiansUnite.com Site Map | Statement of Beliefs

Copyright © 1999-2019 ChristiansUnite.com. All rights reserved.
Please send your questions, comments, or bug reports to the