Webmasters
• Christian Guestbooks
• Banner Exchange
• Dynamic Content

Subscribe to our Free Newsletter.
Enter your email address:

ChristiansUnite
Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 25, 2024, 09:34:19 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Our Lord Jesus Christ loves you.
286805 Posts in 27568 Topics by 3790 Members
Latest Member: Goodwin
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  ChristiansUnite Forums
|-+  Theology
| |-+  Debate (Moderator: admin)
| | |-+  Calvinism
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Calvinism  (Read 9505 times)
Allinall
Gold Member

HE is my All in All.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #60 on: September 21, 2007, 08:32:19 PM »

I'll believe this.   Wink Cheesy

Figured you would!   Cheesy

Congratulations, brother, I look forward to hearing more about Chloe.

Thanks!  I've posted in You Name It...

"that I may know him and the power of his resurrection, and may share his sufferings, becoming like him in his death"
Shammu
Global Moderator
Gold Member

B(asic) I(nstructions) B(efore) L(eaving) E(arth)

View Profile WWW
« Reply #61 on: September 21, 2007, 08:32:40 PM »

*Ducks*

Sorry this is the best I can do today.

Actually, I'm stirring up trouble,

I can believe that brother. Wink Grin Grin Grin

ibTina
Gold Member

Keep your eyes on JESUS!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #62 on: September 22, 2007, 09:12:35 AM »

Brothers and Sisters, I had no idea what "Arminian doctrine" was, so I looked it up and found this here below I have pasted it and it also has the Calvinism doctrine listed. I am not into any "labels" except one.. CHRISTIAN!  I LOVE JESUS with ALL of my heart and I know He loves me and the WHOLE World and died for ALL of us, so that who so ever believes in HIM has Eternal life! AMEN!

Arminian doctrine is the term for a theological stance originating with James Arminius - a contemporary of John Calvin. His views include:

1). "Conditional Predestination" - which basically states that God predestines those He knows ahead of time will accept him; whereas Calvin taught an unconditional election;

2). "Free Will of Man" - a teaching that says that man is a free moral agent can actually choose God;

3). Unlimited Atonement - a teaching that Christ died for more than just the elect;

4). Resistible Grace - a teaching that says that since man is a free moral agent, if God calls him specifically to salvation, he can say no to God. and

5) - the most radical and troubling of all arminian doctrine: a teaching that you can lose your salvation, totally rejecting eternal security. They believe that you must live righteously if you are to retain your saved state. Through sin, a person who was once saved can lose it and be damned. This clearly violates the teachings of God's Word.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Calvinism on the other hand believes in five basic tenets forming the acronym "TULIP":

1) Total depravity - in man there dwells no good thing

2) Unconditional election - since man is totally depraved, election is not based on any merit whatsoever other than the eternal counsel of the will of God

3) Limited atonement - Christ died only for the elect

4) Irresistible grace - Every man who receives an "effectual call" by God's Spirit to salvation will be saved - you cannot refuse God.

5) Perseverance of the Saints - those saved by the power of God are eternally secure and will remain in a righteous condition because of it.

nChrist
Global Moderator
Gold Member

May God Lead And Guide Us All

View Profile
« Reply #63 on: September 22, 2007, 09:39:12 AM »

ibTina Said:

Brothers and Sisters, I had no idea what "Arminian doctrine" was, so I looked it up and found this here below I have pasted it and it also has the Calvinism doctrine listed. I am not into any "labels" except one.. CHRISTIAN!  I LOVE JESUS with ALL of my heart and I know He loves me and the WHOLE World and died for ALL of us, so that who so ever believes in HIM has Eternal life! AMEN!

Amen Sister Tina!

I like your definition better. Man's tags, labels, and denominations do confuse something that GOD intended to be simple enough for a child to understand. AND, GOD'S Plan of Salvation IS simple enough for a child to understand. I think that you said it very well, so I want to simply quote it again:

I LOVE JESUS with ALL of my heart and I know He loves me and the WHOLE World and died for ALL of us, so that who so ever believes in HIM has Eternal life! AMEN!

Sister, I share your feelings and thoughts 100%.

Love In Christ,
Tom

Soldier4Christ
Global Moderator
Gold Member

One Nation Under God

View Profile
« Reply #64 on: September 22, 2007, 09:43:53 AM »

Amen Sister Tina!

I like your definition better. Man's tags, labels, and denominations do confuse something that GOD intended to be simple enough for a child to understand. AND, GOD'S Plan of Salvation IS simple enough for a child to understand. I think that you said it very well, so I want to simply quote it again:

I LOVE JESUS with ALL of my heart and I know He loves me and the WHOLE World and died for ALL of us, so that who so ever believes in HIM has Eternal life! AMEN!

Sister, I share your feelings and thoughts 100%.

Love In Christ,
Tom

Amen! That cannot be said enough.

I LOVE JESUS with ALL of my heart and I know He loves me and the WHOLE World and died for ALL of us, so that who so ever believes in HIM has Eternal life! AMEN![/b]

Joh 9:4  I must work the works of him that sent me, while it is day: the night cometh, when no man can work.
daniel1212av
Gold Member

View Profile WWW
« Reply #65 on: September 25, 2007, 11:36:15 AM »

Amen Daniel1212av!
 Instead, we should all simply give thanks to GOD and know that NOT ONE of us is worthy.

Love In Christ,
Tom

One of favorite verses was spoken by a man who had his name changed to what this controversy is about:
  "I am not worthy of the least of all the mercies, and of all the truth, which thou hast showed unto thy servant.."
(Gen 32:10).

But while we can and should focus on "the simplicity that is in Christ" (2Cor. 11:3), how that God "spared not his own Son, but delivered him up for us all" (Rm. 8:32 - and there's that word "all" again!), this is no opposed to giving attendance unto doctrine (1Tim. 4:13), and of rightly dividing the word of truth, for which reason the Scriptures that are contested among many who love God were written. In other words, love is not contrary to attendance to doctrine, which is a manifestation of God who essentially love. 

As for the conflict btwn Calvinism and Arminianism, it is nothing new, and though i am grieved by what i see is an unnecessary strife, i understand how devout souls, who do not want to compromise. I came across this article dealing with this:  http://www.ctlibrary.com/ct/1999/september6/9ta087.html

John Wesley and George Whitefield were both ardent preachers of the "gospel of the grace of God" (Acts 20:24), but while they both believed in election and predestination, they disagreed along the lines of Calvinism and Arminianism. And and out of love for God and souls they were compelled to preach the underlying truths of it salvation as they saw it. This resulted in division among two gospel preaching, holy servants of God. However, they were able to make "a distinction between a difference in judgment and a difference in affection," and in the end they preached in each other's pulpits, and Wesley preached Whitefield's funeral. 

Personally and honestly, i can substantiate both positions, the predestination of Rm. 9 which seems to clearly establish that God chooses souls before they were born or did any good or evil, and that no one can ultimately resist His will, but that God only elects some, while blinding others, as well as the position that God wills all to be saved, and that Christ died for all, the latter point being one that i think is very clear, but may not need to conflict with Calvinism. My question was is, how can we reconcile the conclusions of Calvinism, which effectively has the non-elect souls damned due to be being born with a sinful nature (and therefore unable to seek or call upon God, who never grants them repentance), with God's own criteria for justice, in which souls are not actually punished for their father's sins. But it seems like my question is pretty much that which Paul addresses in dealing with this anticipated objection (Rm. 9:19, 20). The answer to which seems to basically be that almighty God has both the prerogative to do what He choses, which is incontestable, and that He will do what is just. So i need not resolve this seeming contradiction, but trust God who will do what is not simply just, but gracious.

And in any case, in both warning the wicked (Ezek. 33:8 ) and calling men to repentance (Mk. 1:15; Acts 17:30), the Bible treats souls as if they are fully capable of repenting,  and expected to do so - or else - and so must we.

)
« Last Edit: September 25, 2007, 12:15:39 PM by daniel1212av » Logged

" The truth is in JESUS" (Eph. 4:21b).
www.peacebyjesus.com
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

More From ChristiansUnite...    About Us | Privacy Policy | | ChristiansUnite.com Site Map | Statement of Beliefs

Copyright © 1999-2019 ChristiansUnite.com. All rights reserved.
Please send your questions, comments, or bug reports to the