Webmasters
• Christian Guestbooks
• Banner Exchange
• Dynamic Content

Subscribe to our Free Newsletter.
Enter your email address:

ChristiansUnite
Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 10:46:58 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Our Lord Jesus Christ loves you.
286776 Posts in 27568 Topics by 3790 Members
Latest Member: Goodwin
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  ChristiansUnite Forums
|-+  Theology
| |-+  General Theology (Moderator: admin)
| | |-+  Educating People Regarding God's Law.
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Educating People Regarding God's Law.  (Read 6195 times)
PastorTom
« on: May 28, 2003, 04:23:39 PM »

Dear Dr. Laura:

Thank you for doing so much to educate people regarding God's law.  I have learned a great deal from you, and I try to share that knowledge with as many people as I can.  When someone tries to defend the homosexual lifestyle, for example, I simply remind him that Leviticus 18:22 clearly states it to be an abomination.  End of debate.

I do need some advice from you, however, regarding some of the other specific laws and how to best follow them.
When I burn a bull on the altar as a sacrifice, I know it creates a pleasing odor for the Lord (Lev 1.9).  The problem is my neighbors.  They claim the odor is not pleasing to them.  How should I deal with this?
I would like to sell my daughter into slavery, as it suggests in Exodus 21:7.  In this day and age, what do you think would be a fair price for her?
I know that I am allowed no contact with a woman while she is in her period of menstrual uncleanliness (Lev 15:19-24).  The problem is, how do I tell?  I have tried asking, but most women take offense.
Lev 25:44 states that I may buy slaves from the nations that are around us.  A friend of mine claims that this applies to Mexicans but not Canadians.  Can you clarify?
I have a neighbor who insists on working on the Sabbath.  Exodus 35:2 clearly states he should be put to death.  Am I morally obligated to kill him myself?
A friend of mine feels that even though eating shellfish is an abomination (Lev 11:10), it is a lesser abomination than homosexuality.  I don't agree.  Can you settle this?
Lev 21:20 states that I may not approach the altar of God if I have a defect in my sight.  I have to admit that I wear reading glasses.  Does my vision have to be 20/20, or is there some wiggle room here?
Most of my male friends get their hair trimmed, including the hair around their temples, even though this is expressly forbidden by Lev 19:27.  How should they die?
I know from Lev 11:6-8 that touching the skin of a dead pig makes me unclean, but may I still play football if I wear gloves?
My uncle has a farm.  He violates Lev 19:19 by planting two different crops in the same field, as does his wife by wearing garments made of two different kinds of thread (cotton/polyester blend).  He also tends to curse and blaspheme a lot.  Is it really necessary that we go to all the trouble of getting the whole town together to stone them? (Lev 24:10-16).  Couldn't we just burn them to death at a private family affair like we do with people who sleep with their in-laws? (Lev 20:14).

I know you have studied these things extensively, so I am confident you can help.  Thank you again for reminding us that God's word is eternal and unchanging.
PastorTom
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2003, 04:36:31 PM »

The Bible is a huge collection of books:  it contains history, poetry, legends, mythology, laws, hymns, wisdom sayings, sermons, parables, exhortations, symbolic writings, etc.  Are all parts of the Bible to be equally emphasized?  No matter what people say about the Bible, the fact is no one treats every part of it equally:  we all emphasize some passages more than others.  Here are some passages from the Bible that most of us in fact no longer follow.

- Lev 19:9-10, Deut 24:19-22:  When harvesting crops, enough should be left behind in the field for the poor to gather.

- Lev 19:19, Deut 22:9-11:  One should not sow two kinds of crops in the same field, one should not plow with an ox and a donkey yoked together, and one should not wear clothes made of two different materials (e.g. wool and linen).

- Lev 19:27:  No tattoos.

- Lev 25:1-12:  No crops to be planted every seventh (sabbatical) year and every fiftieth (jubilee) year.

- Deut 21:18-25:  Parents are to request the execution of a rebellious son.

- Ex 22:25:  No charging interest on loans.

- Ex 20:8-11, 31:12-17:  Worship and rest are to take place on the Sabbath day (i.e. Saturday).

- Lev 11:2-47:  Certain "unclean" animals cannot be eaten (e.g. the pig, hare, lobster, various birds and insects, etc.).

- Lev 15:2-32:  Purification rituals required for women having their period and for men who've had a discharge of semen.

- Mt 19:9, Mk 10:11-12, Lk 16:18:  No divorce (except in cases of adultery).

- 1 Cor 11:1-16:  Women to cover their heads in church.

- 1 Tim 2:9-10, 1 Pet 3:2-3:  Women not to wear make-up.

- 1 Cor 14:34-36, 1 Tim 2:11-15:  Women are to keep silent in church; if they want to know anything, let them ask their husbands at home.

- Eph 5:22ff, 1 Pet 3:1-2, 5-6:  Wives are to submit to their husbands.

- Eph 6:5-9, 1 Pet 2:18:  Slavery is unquestioned, slaves are to submit to their masters.
John the Baptist
« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2003, 07:00:34 PM »

The Bible is a huge collection of books:  it contains history, poetry, legends, mythology, laws, hymns, wisdom sayings, sermons, parables, exhortations, symbolic writings, etc.  Are all parts of the Bible to be equally emphasized?  No matter what people say about the Bible, the fact is no one treats every part of it equally:  we all emphasize some passages more than others.  Here are some passages from the Bible that most of us in fact no longer follow.

John here:
Most seem to be liars today also, huh? And if time goes on?? God can add some more to [your] list! Cry Cry
"This know also, that in the LAST DAYS perilous times SHALL COME. (Why??)

For men SHALL BE LOVERS OF THEIR OWN SELVES, COVETOUS, BOASTERS, PROUD, BLASPHEMERS, disobedient to parents, unthankful, unholy, (UNHOLY?? Naw, ONLY BELIEVE!)
.... HAVING A FORM OF gODLINESS, BUT DENYING THE POWER THEREOF: FROM SUCH TURN AWAY."!! 2 Tim. 3:1-5 in part & my added emphasis. This is the SAME TIME PERIOD of Rev. 18:4

- Lev 19:9-10, Deut 24:19-22:  When harvesting crops, enough should be left behind in the field for the poor to gather.

- Lev 19:19, Deut 22:9-11:  One should not sow two kinds of crops in the same field, one should not plow with an ox and a donkey yoked together, and one should not wear clothes made of two different materials (e.g. wool and linen).

- Lev 19:27:  No tattoos.

- Lev 25:1-12:  No crops to be planted every seventh (sabbatical) year and every fiftieth (jubilee) year.

- Deut 21:18-25:  Parents are to request the execution of a rebellious son.

- Ex 22:25:  No charging interest on loans.

- Ex 20:8-11, 31:12-17:  Worship and rest are to take place on the Sabbath day (i.e. Saturday).

- Lev 11:2-47:  Certain "unclean" animals cannot be eaten (e.g. the pig, hare, lobster, various birds and insects, etc.).

- Lev 15:2-32:  Purification rituals required for women having their period and for men who've had a discharge of semen.

- Mt 19:9, Mk 10:11-12, Lk 16:18:  No divorce (except in cases of adultery).

- 1 Cor 11:1-16:  Women to cover their heads in church.

- 1 Tim 2:9-10, 1 Pet 3:2-3:  Women not to wear make-up.

- 1 Cor 14:34-36, 1 Tim 2:11-15:  Women are to keep silent in church; if they want to know anything, let them ask their husbands at home.

- Eph 5:22ff, 1 Pet 3:1-2, 5-6:  Wives are to submit to their husbands.

- Eph 6:5-9, 1 Pet 2:18:  Slavery is unquestioned, slaves are to submit to their masters.
lightsavour

coo coo caw

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2003, 02:46:17 PM »

PastorTom, many of the verses you have chosen were from the Old Testament teaching for the children of Israel. These people were bound by a different Covenant than we are today. The children of Israel had they're own culture and laws of the land that were given to them by God. Yet much has changed not simply in our attitudes, but in what God has told us to live like in this day of Grace.

All sacrifices are vain. We do not do ANY sacrifices anymore as the Lord Jesus was the perfect sacrifice and answered EVERY claim that sin had upon us.

If you have no spiritual discernment of what God wants from you, then you cannot expect to question the lives of those who DO have discernment. The Old Testament is still Gods word yes I agree. But, what does the Old Testament show us in whole? How the children of Israel failed. How that the Law only shows sin and cannot redeem anyone back unto God. If you do not have your spiritual glasses (for focusing on your own needs) then I would recommend you read the New Testament. The New Testament... or New Covenant tells how God manifest in the flesh walked on this earth and was the perfect sacrifice that all the children of Israel looked forward to. He was what was being pointed to in ALL of the Old Testament.

When the Lord Jesus won the victory at the cross and was resurrected from the dead, the binds of death were thwarted. Death has no claim on those who believe in Christ. And so we are no longer bound by the any Law, but by Grace. That is the story and truth of the Bible in a small capsule. But, if you have not found this truth for yourself yet, then do not waste your time with verses from the Old Testament. For they are far easier to misunderstand if you are not reading within the context of the entire Testament from God to man.

God bless.

Proverbs 18:1 "Through desire a man, having separated himself, seeketh and intermeddleth with all wisdom."
John the Baptist
« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2003, 05:39:48 PM »

The Bible is a huge collection of books:  it contains history, poetry, legends, mythology, laws, hymns, wisdom sayings, sermons, parables, exhortations, symbolic writings, etc.  

(removed)

John here:
Wow! a collection, my Master's WORD IS, Books?? History. Poetry?? LEGANDS!!? *MYTHOLOGY ('s'atan at his best, huh!) laws, hymns, WISDOM SAYINGS??? (see 2 Tim. 3:16!) sermons, exhortations, symbolic writings etc.? MORE??

This is not my Master's TRUTH, but the puppy cock from another!  Huh (see Gen. 4:7)

Next we will need 'some mans guidance' to unravel the 'WORD OF GOD'! Forget Matt. 4:4.

Does one not know that all the books are seperated my only 'mans' inspiration! + periods, coma's, chapters, numbers, verse numbers. Now, we need widsom seperating God's INSPIRED TRUTH of 'MYTHOLOGY'? Cry Cry

What a CROCK of GARBAGE this [post] was! When the Lord comes the second time He asks: 'WILL HE FIND FAITH ON EARTH.'? (all in the name of Pastor Tom)

---John
John the Baptist
« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2003, 06:35:33 AM »

(removed)

The above is common teaching in todays 'educated world'. It is Ph. D'ism regardless, if it just passed along or if one is schooled on it or not. (you know, the thread subject!)

But ask yourself the question, would you want your daughter who might be having an marriage problem, getting counseling [alone] from a person that has this mindset 'arm of flesh' belief?
Just wondering?

--John
Wreck N Sow

I'm a llama!

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 07, 2003, 11:19:46 PM »

hey

Whats Isaiah 8 speaking of

ISAIAH 8  [16] Bind up the testimony, seal the law among my disciples.[17] And I will wait upon the LORD, that hideth his face from the house of Jacob, and I will look for him.[18] Behold, I and the children whom the LORD hath given me are for signs and for wonders in Israel from the LORD of hosts, which dwelleth in mount Zion.[19] And when they shall say unto you, Seek unto them that have familiar spirits, and unto wizards that peep, and that mutter: should not a people seek unto their God? for the living to the dead?[20] To the law and to the testimony: if they speak not according to this word, it is because there is no light in them.[21] And they shall pass through it, hardly bestead and hungry: and it shall come to pass, that when they shall be hungry, they shall fret themselves, and curse their king and their God, and look upward.[22] And they shall look unto the earth; and behold trouble and darkness, dimness of anguish; and they shall be driven to darkness.

It really doesnt need explaination. Does it? When will darkness cover the earth? Day of the Lord! Its always good to go to that day in scripture cause thats when the fat lady sings. If the WORD speaks about something on that day THATS IT! No figurin this or that.

To the law and to the testimony: if they speak not according to this word, it is because there is no light in them

AMEN
John the Baptist
« Reply #7 on: June 08, 2003, 07:14:32 AM »

hey

Whats Isaiah 8 speaking of

ISAIAH 8  [16] Bind up the testimony, seal the law among my disciples.[17] And I will wait upon the LORD, that hideth his face from the house of Jacob, and I will look for him.[18] Behold, I and the children whom the LORD hath given me are for signs and for wonders in Israel from the LORD of hosts, which dwelleth in mount Zion.[19] And when they shall say unto you, Seek unto them that have familiar spirits, and unto wizards that peep, and that mutter: should not a people seek unto their God? for the living to the dead?[20] To the law and to the testimony: if they speak not according to this word, it is because there is no light in them.[21] And they shall pass through it, hardly bestead and hungry: and it shall come to pass, that when they shall be hungry, they shall fret themselves, and curse their king and their God, and look upward.[22] And they shall look unto the earth; and behold trouble and darkness, dimness of anguish; and they shall be driven to darkness.

It really doesnt need explaination. Does it? When will darkness cover the earth? Day of the Lord! Its always good to go to that day in scripture cause thats when the fat lady sings. If the WORD speaks about something on that day THATS IT! No figurin this or that.

To the law and to the testimony: if they speak not according to this word, it is because there is no light in them

AMEN
Hi, John here:
Thats it?? Your kidding surely. Naw, the Eve's of our day (male & female) need to read reams & reams of the devil's junk to become 'educated'. And when the Lord says what have you been up too? They say, well Lord I understand your above verse, but.. You told me that the devil was once in heaven, and that he was perfect at one time.. and that he was the highest of covering cherubs over the Ark that held this ROYAL UNIVERSAL COVENANT LAW that Isa. 8:20 is talking about. And Lord I was just curious! And besides I AM JUSTIFIED!! I BELIEVE! I AM ONCE SAVED ALWAYS SAVED, huh Lord?

And the rest of the verse on there being NO LIGHT IN THEM?
Sounds like 1 John 2:4 of BEING A LIAR AND THERE BEING NO TRUTH IN THEM. (no question meant!)

It is interesting the division of your last verse. Two ways to TEST ALL OF mans teachings by God's Word. FIRST and FORMOST by the LAW OF GOD. Why?? Simple, Because HE HIMSELF WROTE IT!
Then the TESTIMONY part?? ALL 66 Books of INSPIRATION! (Matt. 4:4) Remembering that these writers use their own wordings for illustrations even while under inspiration of the Holy Ghost! That is why Matt. Mark, Luke & John are not carbon copies! Even a few verses of Rev. 12 are telling us 'one' of the names of the evil one way back in Gen.! That of 'serpent'.

This is by far one of the best posting's (one) that I have read on a larger number of professed Christian sites. Thanks!

---John
Wreck N Sow

I'm a llama!

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 08, 2003, 09:05:40 AM »

Hi Ollie
You posted this elsewhere

There seem to be agitators around however. If it walks like a duck it must be a duck! By their fruits you shall know them!

Matthew 7:15.  Beware of false prophets, which come to you in sheep's clothing, but inwardly they are ravening wolves.
16.  Ye shall know them by their fruits. Do men gather grapes of thorns, or figs of thistles

I hope ya dont mind me movin it here as these ravening wolves fit right in here. I wonder what fruits these ravenous wolves have produced?

1 PETER 5[8] Be sober, be vigilant; because your adversary the devil, as a roaring lion, walketh about, seeking
whom  he may devour:

the devil - a roaring lion- devouring-well Ollie, the devil is also called a roaring lion

MATT.7 [14] Because strait is the gate, and narrow is the way, which leadeth unto life, and few there be that
find it.[15] Beware of false prophets, which come to you in sheep's clothing, but inwardly they are ravening wolves.

Beware of false prophets - They are ravening wolves, more of those darn wolves ollie

ACTS 20 [29] For I know this, that after my departing shall grievous wolves enter in among you, not sparing the flock.[30] Also of your own selves shall men arise, speaking perverse things, to draw away disciples after them.

More wolves

EPH.4 [17] This I say therefore, and testify in the Lord, that ye henceforth walk not as other Gentiles walk, in
the vanity of their mind,[18] Having the understanding darkened, being alienated from the life of God through the ignorance that is in them, because of the blindness of their heart:[19] Who being past feeling have given themselves over unto lasciviousness, to work all uncleanness with greediness.

Vanity - Clean and unclean - greed

EZEK.22 [23] And the word of the LORD came unto me, saying,[24] Son of man, say unto her, Thou art the land that is not cleansed, nor rained upon in the day of indignation.[25] There is a conspiracy of her prophets in the midst thereof, like a roaring lion ravening the prey; they have devoured souls; they have taken the treasure and precious things; they have made her many widows in the midst thereof.[26] Her priests have violated my law, and have profaned mine holy things: they have put no difference between the holy and profane, neither have they shewed difference between the unclean and the clean, and have hid their eyes from my sabbaths, and I am profaned among them.[27] Her princes in the midst thereof are like wolves ravening the prey, to shed blood, and to destroy souls, to get dishonest gain.[28] And her prophets have daubed them with untempered morter, seeing vanity, and divining lies unto them, saying, Thus saith the Lord GOD, when the LORD hath not spoken

Well Ollie heres your roaring lions - ravening wolves - conspiracy of her prophets - violated MY law - to get dishonest gain -devoured souls - vanity - uncleanness
HID THEIR EYES FROM MY SABBATHS(a tree will be know by its fruit)  -   the day of indignation=THE DAY OF THE LORD!
Again to the Day of the Lord. Aint then WORD of GOD great!

PastorTom
« Reply #9 on: June 09, 2003, 11:26:15 AM »

I thought this post might push a few buttons and hoped it might spawn some thoughtful discussion about the scriptures.  Often this type of duscussion devolves into name-calling and anything but thoughtful intelligent discussion.  I'll try to inject something more.

The Holy Spirit gives us the gift of seeing.  Seeing God in the infant Jesus; seeing God in Jesus dying on the cross; seeing God in all creation; seeing God in history; seeing God in bread, wine and water.  The same Holy Spirit bestows upon us the gift of hearing the Living Word.

The Dead Word is truth packaged in propositions with which we can argue, agree or disagree.  In contrast, Living Word is truth manifest in an event, a story or an encounter through which God addresses us and calls for repentance, revolution, a redirection of life.  The New Testament word for this change is METANOIA, which means "to turn around and go in the opposite direction."

The Word of God is Living Address (the word "address" does not mean a "street number" or a "formal lecture" but God's passionate, invoking, calling, begging confronting appeal to us) which enters our hearts (the "heart" is the willing, responding, deciding self) calling for radical change.

This understanding of WORD as confronting address rather than rational proposition is one way that Hebrew thought differs from Greek thought.  Greek thought which would package truth in debatable propositions has often prevailed in the Christian church thorughout the centuries.

The popularity of Greek thought is evident in two common ways of understanding the Bible:

Many Christians say that the Bible was in some way dictated by God to the writers and is therefore "inerrant."  By using reason, we can deduce fundamental propositions which must be accepted:  Doctrines that we must "believe"; Moral laws that we must obey; Steps of "the wasy of salvation" that we must experience.

Other Christians say that the Bible is a fallible human book.  However, by using reason to get behind primitive and legendary material, we can find eternal truths valid for all time such as:  God is the Father of all humanity; All humans are brothers and sisters; All should follow the Golden Rule.

Both of the above ways of viewing the Bible are "Greek" because both understand truth to be contained in propositions deduced by logical thought.

In contrast, a Hebrew way of thinking.  Truth is the living, creative, powerful "address" of a loving God.  Truth is the Living Word which breaks into our lives, into our history, shattering old ways and creating NEW LIFE, NEW VALUES and NEW COMMITMENT.

Living Word is like the plea of an old-fashioned young man on his knees asking a young woman to marry him.  She realizes that her affirmative response to this "address" will change the rest of her life.

When Jesus confronted the fishermen with the two words, "Follow me," they realized that an affirmative response to this "address" would change the rest of their lives.  This was Living Word!

Jesus told parables as a way of confronting the hearers with the Living Word.  Parables were not intended to serve as "packages" for religious propositions but as HEARING EVENTS - stories which would gently break into the hearts of the people demanding anc creating change.

The climactic address of God's Living Word is the even of the life, teaching, suffering, death and resurrection of Jesus.  When we hear the story, God breaks into our lives pleading "Give up your games, false gods, illusions, vindications, excuses.  Give up your dreams of finding wholeness and validation in your good works, your status, in what you own and consume, in your group or national identity, in your morality, in your self-fulfillment, in pleasure, in what you cando to change history."

Through Christ, God woos us and pleads with us, "I love you.  I forgive you.  I want you.  Trust me.  Obey me.  Enter the joy of my kingdom."  When we hear this call, we hear THE LIVING WORD.

If we say that the WORD comes to us as the living address of god, how then do we view the Bible, the writings of the Old and New Testaments which we call Holy Scripture?  At Bethlehem, Jesus the Christ was held in a manger, a feedbox for animals.  The Bible is like that manger because the Scriptures hold Christ, the Living Word, God's address to us.  The manger was "human."  If it were made of wood, no doubt some boards were crooked and some nails were bent.  Nevertheless, it held the divine WORD for the world.  The Bible, likewise, is "human."  Yet it is "divine" because the Bible, both Old and New Testaments, holds the living Christ who, as the Scriptures are read and proclaimed, lives as God's address to us.

The Holy Spirit opens our ears to hear.  We believe the Living Word and illusions are shattered, old ways are rejected, new life is born, enemies are reconciled, a family is created, and disciples heed the call FOLLOW ME.

The Holy Spirit opens our ears to hear the Living Word of God, the "address" which breaks into our lives shattering old ways of selfishness and illusion and creating in us a new way of obedient trust.

Shalom
Wreck N Sow

I'm a llama!

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 10, 2003, 12:48:43 PM »

Yo Pastor Tom

More good stuff from the WORD of God about HIS law.

THE PERFECT LAW OF LIBERTY-itll set you free

JAMES 1  [22] But be ye doers of the word, and not hearers only, deceiving your own selves.[23] For if any be a hearer of the word, and not a doer, he is like unto a man beholding his natural face in a glass:[24] For hebeholdeth himself, and goeth his way, and straightway forgetteth what manner of man he was.[25] But whoso looketh into the perfect law of liberty, and continueth therein, he being not a forgetful hearer, but a doer of the work, this man shall be blessed in his deed.

The perfect law of liberty-blessed be the man that be a doer of the work

JAMES 2  [9] But if ye have respect to persons, ye commit sin, and are convinced of the law as transgressors.
[10] For whosoever shall keep the whole law, and yet offend in one point, he is guilty of all.[11] For he that said,
Do not commit adultery, said also, Do not kill. Now if thou commit no adultery, yet if thou kill, thou art become a transgressor of the law.[12] So speak ye, and so do, as they that shall be judged by the law of liberty.

Do not commit adultry,do not kill(the 10 commandments)-  and so do, as they that shall be judged by the law of liberty.

PSALM 119  [42] So shall I have wherewith to answer him that reproacheth me: for I trust in thy word.[43] And take not the word of truth utterly out of my mouth; for I have hoped in thy judgments.[44] So shall I keep thy law continually for ever and ever.[45] And I will walk at liberty: for I seek thy precepts.[46] I will speak of thy testimonies also before kings, and will not be ashamed.[47] And I will delight myself in thy commandments,which I have loved.

So shall I keep thy law continually AND delight myself in thy commandments and WILL WALK AT LIBERTY-That cant be misinterpreted

AINT THE WORD OF GOD GREAT

DEUT.13  [3] Thou shalt not hearken unto the words of that prophet, or that dreamer of dreams: for the LORD your God proveth you, to know whether ye love the LORD your God with all your heart and with all your soul.[4] Ye shall walk after the LORD your God, and fear him, and keep his commandments, and obey his voice, and ye shall serve him, and cleave unto him.[5] And that prophet, or that dreamer of dreams, shall be put to death; because he hath spoken to turn you away from the LORD your God, which brought you out of the land of Egypt, and redeemed you out of the house of bondage, to thrust thee out of the way which the LORD thy God commanded thee to walk in. So shalt thou put the evil away from the midst of thee.

keep his commandments and be redeemed you out of the house of bondage. I wanted to post this guys and gals cause ive heard many say the bondage is the commandments.
SIN is the bondage and the evil we must overcome.

DEUT.6  [12] Then beware lest thou forget the LORD, which brought thee forth out of the land of Egypt, from the house of bondage.[13] Thou shalt fear the LORD thy God, and serve him, and shalt swear by his name.[14] Ye shall not go after other gods, of the gods of the people which are round about you;[15] (For the LORD thy God is a jealous God among you) lest the anger of the LORD thy God be kindled against thee, and destroy thee from off the face of the earth.[16] Ye shall not tempt the LORD your God, as ye tempted him in Massah.[17] Ye shall diligently keep the commandments of the LORD your God, and his testimonies, and his statutes, which he hath commanded thee.
John the Baptist
« Reply #11 on: June 11, 2003, 08:08:00 AM »

Yo Pastor Tom

More good stuff from the WORD of God about HIS law.

THE PERFECT LAW OF LIBERTY-itll set you free

JAMES 1  [22] But be ye doers of the word, and not hearers only, deceiving your own selves.[23] For if any be a hearer of the word, and not a doer, he is like unto a man beholding his natural face in a glass:[24] For hebeholdeth himself, and goeth his way, and straightway forgetteth what manner of man he was.[25] But whoso looketh into the perfect law of liberty, and continueth therein, he being not a forgetful hearer, but a doer of the work, this man shall be blessed in his deed.

The perfect law of liberty-blessed be the man that be a doer of the work

JAMES 2  [9] But if ye have respect to persons, ye commit sin, and are convinced of the law as transgressors.
[10] For whosoever shall keep the whole law, and yet offend in one point, he is guilty of all.[11] For he that said,
Do not commit adultery, said also, Do not kill. Now if thou commit no adultery, yet if thou kill, thou art become a transgressor of the law.[12] So speak ye, and so do, as they that shall be judged by the law of liberty.

Do not commit adultry,do not kill(the 10 commandments)-  and so do, as they that shall be judged by the law of liberty.

PSALM 119  [42] So shall I have wherewith to answer him that reproacheth me: for I trust in thy word.[43] And take not the word of truth utterly out of my mouth; for I have hoped in thy judgments.[44] So shall I keep thy law continually for ever and ever.[45] And I will walk at liberty: for I seek thy precepts.[46] I will speak of thy testimonies also before kings, and will not be ashamed.[47] And I will delight myself in thy commandments,which I have loved.

So shall I keep thy law continually AND delight myself in thy commandments and WILL WALK AT LIBERTY-That cant be misinterpreted

AINT THE WORD OF GOD GREAT

DEUT.13  [3] Thou shalt not hearken unto the words of that prophet, or that dreamer of dreams: for the LORD your God proveth you, to know whether ye love the LORD your God with all your heart and with all your soul.[4] Ye shall walk after the LORD your God, and fear him, and keep his commandments, and obey his voice, and ye shall serve him, and cleave unto him.[5] And that prophet, or that dreamer of dreams, shall be put to death; because he hath spoken to turn you away from the LORD your God, which brought you out of the land of Egypt, and redeemed you out of the house of bondage, to thrust thee out of the way which the LORD thy God commanded thee to walk in. So shalt thou put the evil away from the midst of thee.

keep his commandments and be redeemed you out of the house of bondage. I wanted to post this guys and gals cause ive heard many say the bondage is the commandments.
SIN is the bondage and the evil we must overcome.
^^^^^^^^^^^^
John here: How TRUE your above remark is, the 'd'evil is a very heavy taskmaster! And sin is the breaking of the Royal Law of the Universe! Heb. 13:20

Very good material! Even the aint's Wink

DEUT.6  [12] Then beware lest thou forget the LORD, which brought thee forth out of the land of Egypt, from the house of bondage.[13] Thou shalt fear the LORD thy God, and serve him, and shalt swear by his name.[14] Ye shall not go after other gods, of the gods of the people which are round about you;[15] (For the LORD thy God is a jealous God among you) lest the anger of the LORD thy God be kindled against thee, and destroy thee from off the face of the earth.[16] Ye shall not tempt the LORD your God, as ye tempted him in Massah.[17] Ye shall diligently keep the commandments of the LORD your God, and his testimonies, and his statutes, which he hath commanded thee.
Wreck N Sow

I'm a llama!

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 14, 2003, 10:39:17 AM »

Mornin

ARE YOU CHASTENED

HEBREWS 12 [6] For whom the Lord loveth he chasteneth, and scourgeth every son whom he receiveth.[7] If ye endure chastening, God dealeth with you as with sons; for what son is he whom the father chasteneth not?[8] But if ye be without chastisement, whereof all are partakers, then are ye bastards, and not sons.[9] Furthermore we have had fathers of our flesh which corrected us, and we gave them reverence: shall we not much rather be in subjection unto the Father of spirits, and live?

For whom the Lord loveth he chasteneth

PSALM 94 [12] Blessed is the man whom thou chastenest, O LORD, and teachest him out of thy law;[13] That thou mayest give him rest from the days of adversity, until the pit be digged for the wicked.[14] For the LORD will not cast off his people, neither will he forsake his inheritance.[15] But judgment shall return unto righteousness: and all the upright in heart shall follow it.[16] Who will rise up for me against the evildoers? or who will stand up for me against the workers of iniquity?

Chasten - out of thy law?? - If the law has been done away with, how can you be chastened?? who will stand up for me against the workers of iniquity?(lawlessness)

REV.3 [18] I counsel thee to buy of me gold tried in the fire, that thou mayest be rich; and white raiment, that thou mayest be clothed, and that the shame of thy nakedness do not appear; and anoint thine eyes with eyesalve, that thou mayest see.[19] As many as I love, I rebuke and chasten: be zealous therefore, and repent.[20] Behold, I stand at the door, and knock:if any man hear my voice, and open the door, I will come in to him, and will sup with him, and he with me.[21] To him that overcometh will I grant to sit with me in my throne, even as I also overcame, and am set down with my Father in his throne.

As many as I love, I rebuke and chasten: be zealous therefore, and repent.
(according to many christians there is nothing to repent of!! They say we are not under the law)

DEUT.8 [5] Thou shalt also consider in thine heart, that, as a man chasteneth his son, so the LORD thy God chasteneth thee.[6] Therefore thou shalt keep the commandments of the LORD thy God, to walk in his ways, and to fear him.

DOES GOD CHASTEN YOU? ARE YOU KEEPING THE 10 COMMANDMENTS? THE SABBATH? GRAVEN IMAGES?

MARK 7 [7] Howbeit in vain do they worship me, teaching for doctines the commandments of men.

I have not come to this board to say im right and your wrong.Only sowing seed. The WORD of God is perfect. Believe it. Seek it like fine gold. Drink water from your own well. The whole world has been decieved(thats not my opinion, thats what the WORD says) Believe it.
Wreck N Sow

I'm a llama!

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 16, 2003, 09:32:24 AM »

Good morning Ghost writer
you wrote
We dont need to keep the law because Jesus fulfilled the law!!!

Well GW, just what does that mean?

ISAIAH 42 [20] Seeing many things, but thou observest not; opening the ears, but he heareth not.[21] The LORD is well pleased for his righteousness' sake; he will magnify the law, and make it honourable.

Magnify the law!  Does this mean to do away with or to make even greater? Isaiah 42 is speaking of Jesus.
Just read the whole chapter. Theres no question about it!

MATT.5 [27] Ye have heard that it was said by them of old time, Thou shalt not commit adultery:[28] But I say
unto you, That whosoever looketh on a woman to lust after her hath committed adultery with her already in his heart.

As you can see in Matthew 5, Jesus made the commandments even greater

MATT.5 [17] Think not that I am come to destroy the law, or the prophets: I am not come to destroy, but to fulfil. [18] For verily I say unto you, Till heaven and earth pass, one jot or one tittle shall in no wise pass from the law, till all be fulfilled.[19] Whosoever therefore shall break one of these least commandments, and shall teach men so, he shall be called the least in the kingdom of heaven: but whosoever shall do and teach them, the same shall be called great in the kingdom of heaven.[20] For I say unto you, That except your righteousness shall exceed the righteousness of the scribes and Pharisees, ye shall in no case enter into the kingdom of heaven.[21] Ye have heard that it was said by them of old time, Thou shalt not kill; and whosoever shall kill shall be in danger of the judgment:[22] But I say unto you, That whosoever is angry with his brother without a cause shall be in danger of the judgment: and whosoever shall say to his brother, Raca, shall be in danger of the council: but whosoever shall say, Thou fool, shall be in danger of hell fire.

Looks like a filling full of the law to me and not a doing away with the law. JESUS said “not only shall thou not kill but whosoever is angry with his brother without a cause shall be in danger of the judgment”. Matt.5 couldnt be any clearer. Jesus magnified the law!  HE made them greater!!! Jesus said “ Till heaven and earth pass, one jot or one tittle shall in no wise pass from the law, till all be fulfilled “  Please dont try and convince me that heaven and earth has passed. Why call HIM, LORD LORD and do not the things that HE said ?

To get a full understanding of that verse, we must define "fulfill."It is not a word of destruction but of completion and validation. Here is "fulfill" as defined in the Merriam-Webster dictionary:
1) archaic : to make full
2) a : to put into effect : EXECUTE
b : to meet the requirements of
c : to measure up to : SATISFY
3) a : to convert into reality
b : to develop the full potentialities of
synonym see PERFORM

Those defining terms make Matt. 5:17 come alive with meaning!  Christ came to fulfill, to put into effect,
to satisfy, to convert into reality, to develop the full potentialities of the law.

Aint the WORD of God great Ghost  Shocked writer
Wreck N Sow

I'm a llama!

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 17, 2003, 08:19:07 AM »

Alright, things are gettin a little heated here, so lets lighten things up a bit. How about a song?

DOES EVERYONE KNOW YOUVE GOTTA HAVE HEART

2 COR.6 [11] O ye Corinthians, our mouth is open unto you, our heart is enlarged.12] Ye are not straitened in us, but ye are straitened in your own bowels.[13] Now for a recompence in the same, (I speak as unto my children,) be ye also enlarged.[14] Be ye not unequally yoked together with unbelievers: for what fellowship hath righteousness with unrighteousness? and what communion hath light with darkness?

our heart is enlarged- be ye also enlarged- for what fellowship hath righteousness with unrighteousness?
What does it mean to have your heart enlarged? The bible will interpret the bible.

PSALM 119 [32] I will run the way of thy commandments, when thou shalt enlarge my heart.[33] Teach me,LORD,
the way of thy statutes; and I shall keep it unto the end.[34] Give me understanding,and I shall keep thy law; yea, I shall observe it with my whole heart.[35] Make me to go in the path of thy commandments; for therein do I delight.

I will run the way of thy commandments, when thou shalt enlarge my heart

ISAIAH 5 [13] Therefore my people are gone into captivity, because they have no knowledge: and their honourable men are famished, and their multitude dried up with thirst.[14] Therefore hell hath enlarged herself, and opened her mouth without measure: and their glory, and their multitude, and their pomp, and he that rejoiceth, shall descend into it. [24] Therefore as the fire devoureth the stubble, and the flame consumeth the chaff, so their root shall be as rottenness, and their blossom shall go up as dust: because they have cast away the law of the LORD of hosts, and despised the word of the Holy One of Israel.

hell hath enlarged herself- because they have cast away the law of the LORD- the HOLY ONE of Israel. Pretty much says the same thing here. If you cast away the law, hell will be enlarged just for you.

Anyone know who this HOLY ONE of Israel is?

ISAIAH 48 [17] Thus saith the LORD, thy Redeemer, the Holy One of Israel; I am the LORD thy God which
teacheth thee to profit, which leadeth thee by the way that thou shouldest go.[18] O that thou hadst hearkened
to my commandments! then had thy peace been as a river, and thy righteousness as the waves of the sea:

The HOLY ONE of Israel is also called thy REDEEMER. Now ya gotta know WHO the HOLY ONE of Israel is.

Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

More From ChristiansUnite...    About Us | Privacy Policy | | ChristiansUnite.com Site Map | Statement of Beliefs

Copyright © 1999-2019 ChristiansUnite.com. All rights reserved.
Please send your questions, comments, or bug reports to the