Webmasters
• Christian Guestbooks
• Banner Exchange
• Dynamic Content

Subscribe to our Free Newsletter.
Enter your email address:

ChristiansUnite
Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 29, 2024, 08:11:12 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Our Lord Jesus Christ loves you.
286808 Posts in 27568 Topics by 3790 Members
Latest Member: Goodwin
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  ChristiansUnite Forums
|-+  Theology
| |-+  General Theology (Moderator: admin)
| | |-+  Why so many?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Why so many?  (Read 12116 times)
ebia
Gold Member

umm

View Profile
« Reply #60 on: May 24, 2004, 06:14:12 AM »

Anecdote this morning at staff briefing from our Principal (a nun):

Student:  You always seem to be going overseas.
Principal:  Well, my mother advised me to join the convent and see the world.
Student:  So was you mother a nun too.  
Cute. Grin
The frightening thing is, this isn't some innocent year 7 kid, this is a 16 year old year 10 student, educated in catholic schools.

"You shall know the truth, the truth shall set you free.

Christ doesn't need lies or censorship.
Brother Love
Gold Member

"FAITH ALONE IN CHRIST ALONE"

View Profile
« Reply #61 on: May 24, 2004, 06:31:19 AM »

Nope, I’m Catholic Grin

What kind of catholic?

I am a Catholic Smiley

Brother Love Smiley

<Smiley))><

THINGS THAT DIFFER By C.R. Stam
Read it on line for "FREE"

http://www.geocities.com/protestantscot/ttd/ttd_chap1.html

<Smiley))><
Tibby
Gold Member

View Profile WWW
« Reply #62 on: May 24, 2004, 04:42:03 PM »

There is no contradiction.

Really? Then is must be your theology. You believe that one HAS to be married to be a minister, and yet Paul makes it clear that there is no problem with that.

Was there ever a time when Common sence was common?
Left Coast

It's all His work

View Profile
« Reply #63 on: May 24, 2004, 05:49:53 PM »

Tibby
1 Cor7 is not talking about the ministry it is talking about marriage.
1 Timothy 3 is talking about the requirements for the ministry.
You are not required to be married as a person living on this earth.
However if you are in the ministry it is a requirement. Running the church is like running a family. Paul says you need the experience of running a family to operate the church.
There are 2 ways you can be “loosed” from a wife.
One is divorce, a divorced man cannot remarry. He is also not qualified to operate the church.
The second is through death. If your wife dies you can remarry. A widower is able to work in the church. In some situations such as Paul’s where extensive travel is required it would be better to find such men.
In other situations like sitting in Rome --- there is no reason not to be married.

Luke 24:45  Then opened he their understanding, that they might understand the scriptures,
John 6:29  Jesus answered and said unto them, This is the work of God, that ye believe on him whom he hath sent.
Tibby
Gold Member

View Profile WWW
« Reply #64 on: May 24, 2004, 07:17:06 PM »

Tibby
1 Cor7 is not talking about the ministry it is talking about marriage.

Yes, like I said when I first posted about 1 cor 7. You are trying to add parts of the bible that are not there. 1 Timothy 3, it clearly referring to after they are married, not requiring Marrage.

Don't get me wrong, I believe the office of Pastor needs a wife to be complete. A women and a man are meant to join as one. However, I do not think it is a requirement. As you said yourself, Paul did not have a wife at the time of is travels. A pastor is to be a Sheperd, but that doesn't mean he has to have a literal flock of Sheep to know what it is like, does it?
« Last Edit: May 24, 2004, 07:25:10 PM by Tibby » Logged

Left Coast

It's all His work

View Profile
« Reply #65 on: May 24, 2004, 08:31:08 PM »

Tibby

1 Tim says it is a requirement:

1 Timothy 3:2  A bishop then must be blameless, the husband of one wife, vigilant, sober, of good behaviour, given to hospitality, apt to teach;

1 Timothy 3:4  One that ruleth well his own house, having his children in subjection with all gravity;

He says it is a requirement, and indicates it is a requirement by giving the reason why.

1 Timothy 3:5  (For if a man know not how to rule his own house, how shall he take care of the church of God?)

I am not sure where you got the idea a pastor is the shepherd. Christ is the Shepherd.

John 10:11  I am the good shepherd: the good shepherd giveth his life for the sheep.

John 10:16  And other sheep I have, which are not of this fold: them also I must bring, and they shall hear my voice; and there shall be one fold, and one shepherd.

I did not add anything to the bible. I would contend you have chosen to reject these verses of the bible.  Shocked
I am sure the Church has convinced you these verses are not laying down requirements. It is hard to change your perception. The church forbids marriage with their ministry.

1 Timothy 4:1  Now the Spirit speaketh expressly, that in the latter times some shall depart from the faith, giving heed to seducing spirits, and doctrines of devils;
1 Timothy 4:2  Speaking lies in hypocrisy; having their conscience seared with a hot iron;
1 Timothy 4:3  Forbidding to marry, and commanding to abstain from meats, which God hath created to be received with thanksgiving of them which believe and know the truth.

Luke 24:45  Then opened he their understanding, that they might understand the scriptures,
John 6:29  Jesus answered and said unto them, This is the work of God, that ye believe on him whom he hath sent.
blainefabin

I'm a llama!

View Profile
« Reply #66 on: May 24, 2004, 11:39:36 PM »

Mike
Thank you for your reply.
Let me address your last point first.
I said:
Concerning The Great Schism the Catholic Church had already fallen away.
This is not saying that the church had fallen away because of the Schism as you seem to have understood me.
I am saying they were off track before the great Schism.
Throughout their history they have had significant flaws in doctrine.

right that is what i understood you to be saying and what i was disagreeing with.

1. As early as at least the 3rd century the Church had taken the stand that if you were separated from the Church you were joined with an adultress. You couldn’t have God for your Father if you didn’t have the Church for your Mother. That is not biblical.

could you provide reference for this please? not that i doubt you but I would like to see the context in which this is written.

Luke 9:49  And John answered and said, Master, we saw one casting out devils in thy name; and we forbad him, because he followeth not with us.
Luke 9:50  And Jesus said unto him, Forbid him not: for he that is not against us is for us.

that is all fine and dandy but there is a crucial difference between someone who is not againgst us and someone who is. most of the heresies were against orthodoxy not only in attitude but promoting an entirely different belief.

2. There is one God and one Christ, and one Church, and one Chair founded on Peter by the word of the Lord. It is not possible to set up another altar or for there to be another priesthood besides that one altar and that one priesthood. Whoever has gathered elsewhere is scattering. (St. Cyprian of Carthage, Letter to all his People, AD 251, in Jurgens, 1970: 229).
This doctrine was established by a misunderstanding of Mat 16:18.
By the way the first “Pope”, Peter, was married.

yes peter was married, it doesn't mean anything, celibacy is a discipline and not a formal doctrine. as to who is misunderstanding matt 16:18 i disagree with that as well. it makes perfect sense to me, not only in that such a thing promotes unity but that even the churches that disagree with catholicism still have the same system set up within their local little fellowship. a pastor and elders.

3. In the 4th century the $$$ of the church began to be paraded. Gold and silver and color vestments, candles and incense, added to the pomp and pageantry of worship.
A much different church than the church of the apostles.

i just do not have a problem with this. it was in the 3rd and 4th centuries that the major persecutions ended and allowed the church to be more artistic. but again look at the church today in protestantism,,,, suits and ties, crystal cathedrals, mega churches, millenium cruises.... this too is a much different church than the apostles...

4. St. Ambrose (340-397) introduced the so called mysteries. Twisting the scripture to add magic to water.

“The water, then, is that in which the flesh is dipped, that all carnal sin may be washed away.”

John 1:7  But if we walk in the light, as he is in the light, we have fellowship one with another, and the blood of Jesus Christ his Son cleanseth us from all sin.

All our sins are washed clean.

to me it is a mystery any way you look at it. ambrose isn't talking about magic at all he is merely pointing out that there is a reality to our faith that is not quite understood perfectly.... the trinity is a mystery even though it is defined it is still bigger than our definition.

This is also the problem with purgatory. A totally invented concept with no real scriptural support. Consuming fire in the bible always represents judgment, not purging.
I am not sure when purgatory became a Church doctrine but I bet it was before the Great Schism.

except that the jews understood gehenna to mean a 12 month period of time after death of purgation. if it was invented it was invented before the christians.

This is already getting long.
God does not promise an infallible church with infallible doctrine. That doctrine is not founded on scripture. It is in itself a flawed doctrine.
There is no need for an infallible church with infallible doctrine except for wielding power and control over others.

again i must disagree... in my experience much more power was wielded over other in the protestant churches. without all the doctrines and dogmas and everything layed out straight there was much more room for manipulation. that is not to say that things are perfect in the catholic church.. as you pointed out there were schismatics before the reformers, and yet i have to point out that again it is our reliance on the teaching authority of the church that has kept us together for 2 thousand years. if there were no infallibility there would be no bible, and without both there would have been no defense against the schismatics you mentioned. even today we base our knowledge of cults upon what was offerd through tradition.

Matthew 23:9 And call no man your father upon the earth: for one is your Father, which is in heaven.

Help me out here. How do you understand Matthew 23:9?

John

first i start a few verses back and then i end a few verses later. I don't think christ is really making a prohibition here, rather he is trying to point out a principal about those in religious authority.. thus it really doesn't matter if the word is teacher, father or master.. it could just as well be reverend, pastor or worship leader.... i have seen the arrogance in priest as well as pastor. i have also seen humility in both. but what i think this is really all about is jesus telling us what our leaders are really all about...and that is service..

Mat 23:11 But he that is greatest among you shall be your servant.  
 Mat 23:12 And whosoever shall exalt himself shall be abased; and he that shall humble himself shall be exalted.

it really is not about religious titles at all, rather it is about being humble..  the pharisees regarded their title and authority as above others... the concept surrounding the priesthood is service to others... and yet i know this is the ideal and that there are many priests that have probably been more like a pharisee...... that is between them and god though.

btw... thanks for the conversation so far... it is good to be able to discuss some of these things without having to deal with personal attacks......... but in the next few days my computer will be turned off for a huge cross country move... just letting you know in case i disappear.

mike
Tibby
Gold Member

View Profile WWW
« Reply #67 on: May 25, 2004, 02:13:28 AM »

I have no answer. You make a good point. I'm going to have to look deeper into this.

I am not sure where you got the idea a pastor is the shepherd.

Because of the word "pastor."

ebia
Gold Member

umm

View Profile
« Reply #68 on: May 25, 2004, 02:53:30 AM »

I have no answer. You make a good point. I'm going to have to look deeper into this.

Christ's instructions to Peter seem to pretty much set him up as a shepherd too (John 21:15-17)

"You shall know the truth, the truth shall set you free.

Christ doesn't need lies or censorship.
Left Coast

It's all His work

View Profile
« Reply #69 on: May 25, 2004, 11:46:34 AM »

I thought all my points were good.  Grin
Yes, pastor is a word usually translated shepherd.

Ephesians 4:11  And he gave some, apostles; and some, prophets; and some, evangelists; and some, pastors <shepherds> and teachers;

I don't think God wants us to be lead around exactly like sheep, so it is not a requirement to have raised sheep.
If it had been He would have put that doctrine in the bible.
Perhaps a good way to view this is by comparing the Rock that is Christ, and the stones that are the believers, making up the eternal (heavenly) church.  

1 Corinthians 10:4  And did all drink the same spiritual drink: for they drank of that spiritual Rock that followed them: and that Rock was Christ.

1 Peter 2:5  Ye also, as lively stones, are built up a spiritual house, an holy priesthood, to offer up spiritual sacrifices, acceptable to God by Jesus Christ.

Christ is the one true Rock, but the believers make up His eternal Church. Peter for instance was a believer and Jesus points out that His Church is made up of such stones.

Matthew 16:18  And I say also unto thee, That thou art Peter , and upon this rock , I will build my church; and the gates of hell shall not prevail against it.

He is not signaling out Peter, rather He is pointing to Peter and saying His divine church is to be built upon believers like him. It is the eternal divine church that the gates of hell will not prevail against.
The earthly Church is built upon saved and unsaved man.
Because unsaved man is included in the church body we will always have schisms.

I_Believe

View Profile
« Reply #70 on: May 25, 2004, 03:11:51 PM »

Some versions of the Bible use shepherd when speeking of overseers.

Take heed, therefore, to yourselves, and to all the flock, in which the Holy Spirit has made you overseers, to shepherd the assembly of the Lord and God which he purchased with his own blood. (Act 20:28 WEB)

"Therefore, continue being on guard for yourselves and for all the flock, in which the Holy Spirit placed you* [as] overseers, to be shepherding [or, pastoring] the Assembly of the Lord and God, which He acquired through His own blood. (Act 20:28 ALT)

I exhort the elders among you, as a fellow elder, and a witness of the sufferings of Christ, and who will also share in the glory that will be revealed. Shepherd the flock of God which is among you, exercising the oversight, not under compulsion, but voluntarily, not for dishonest gain, but willingly; neither as lording it over those entrusted to you, but making yourselves examples to the flock. When the chief Shepherd is revealed, you will receive the crown of glory that doesn't fade away. (1Pe 5:1-4 WEB)

often translated as feed in other versions...

Feed the flock of God among you, taking the oversight, not by compulsion, but willingly; nor for base gain, but readily; (1Pe 5:2 MKJV)
« Last Edit: May 25, 2004, 03:52:55 PM by I_Believe » Logged

Religion is like a coconut.  You must break through the husk of man's traditions to get to the sweet milk & meat of the gospel of Christ.

These people draw near to me with their mouth, and honor me with their lips...in vain do they worship me, teaching as doctrine rules made by men.
Left Coast

It's all His work

View Profile
« Reply #71 on: May 29, 2004, 03:00:22 PM »

Hi, Mike.
I hope your move was without incident.
I often disappear for periods of time, it’s the nature of my job.
could you provide reference for this please? not that i doubt you but I would like to see the context in which this is written.
http://www.mcauley.acu.edu.au/~yuri/ecc/mod2.html
The Bride of Christ cannot be defiled. She is inviolate and chaste... Whoever is separated from the Church and is joined to an adultress is separated from the promises of the Church; nor will he that forsakes the Church of Christ attain to the rewards of Christ. He is an alien, a worldling, and an enemy. He cannot have God for his Father who does not have the Church for his Mother... Does anyone believe that in the Church this unity which proceeds from the divine stability and which is welded together after the heavenly patterns can be divided, and can be separated by the parting asunder of opposing wills? Whoever holds not fast to this unity holds not to the law of God; neither does he keep faith with the Father and the Son, nor does he have life and salvation. (St. Cyprian of Carthage, The Unity of the Catholic Church, [AD 251/256], in: Jurgens, 1970: 221).
that is all fine and dandy but there is a crucial difference between someone who is not againgst us and someone who is. most of the heresies were against orthodoxy not only in attitude but promoting an entirely different belief.
In the Christian world there are essentially only 2 different paths.
One path says you must do something to get yourself saved. By some act of yours you can guarantee your eternal life. There are a lot of divisions on this path because the work required varies. Some examples of works.
You must accept Jesus.
You must be baptized by sprinkling.
You must be baptized by dunking.
You must speak in tongues.
You must be a member of a particular denomination.
You must confess your sins.
You must worship on ______day.
You must not eat certain foods.
You must be circumcised.
You must  ___________.
The other path is the one I believe in.
You can do nothing to guarantee your salvation.
God does all the work. Salvation is a rescue. The word is a tool that God uses to save those that He intends to save.
Anyone that goes into the world and spreads the gospel can bring salvation to someone else. It is the word and Gods action on the word that saves.
I believe that if someone was washed ashore on a deserted Island, and a page of the bible washed up with them. God could use this small piece of scripture to save them.

Romans 10:17  So then faith cometh by hearing, and hearing by the word of God.

Jesus was talking about those people that did not understand the gospel, but they were still spreading the word. God can use their preaching to save.
I believe that more are saved by a faithful witness, but God can use any bible believing messenger to save.

yes peter was married, it doesn't mean anything, celibacy is a discipline and not a formal doctrine.

I think I have covered this well enough, the bible says it is a doctrine to be married.

as to who is misunderstanding matt 16:18 i disagree with that as well. it makes perfect sense to me, not only in that such a thing promotes unity but that even the churches that disagree with catholicism still have the same system set up within their local little fellowship. a pastor and elders.

Matthew 16:18  And I say also unto thee, That thou art Peter, and upon this rock, I will build my church; and the gates of hell shall not prevail against it.

When looking at this verse Catholics think that Christ is saying Peter is the Rock that the church is being built upon. That would not follow through with the rest of the bible.
A building only has one cornerstone. This would make Peter the cornerstone.

1 Peter 2:6  Wherefore also it is contained in the scripture, Behold, I lay in Sion a chief corner stone, elect, precious: and he that believeth on him shall not be confounded.

Jesus is the cornerstone.
Jesus gave Simon the name Peter to use him as ‘a type’ for believer.

John 1:42  And he brought him to Jesus. And when Jesus beheld him, he said, Thou art Simon the son of Jona: thou shalt be called Cephas, which is by interpretation, A stone.

All believers are stones.

1 Peter 2:5  Ye also, as lively stones, are built up a spiritual house, an holy priesthood, to offer up spiritual sacrifices, acceptable to God by Jesus Christ.

It is the believers that make up the eternal church of God, a spiritual house. The gates of hell cannot prevail against this church.

Ephesians 2:19  Now therefore ye are no more strangers and foreigners, but fellowcitizens with the saints, and of the household of God;
Ephesians 2:20  And are built upon the foundation of the apostles and prophets, Jesus Christ himself being the chief corner stone;
Ephesians 2:21  In whom all the building fitly framed together groweth unto an holy temple in the Lord:
Ephesians 2:22  In whom ye also are builded together for an habitation of God through the Spirit.

The bible says that the temple, (the earthly church), WILL be overcome by Satan. The Church, (the heavenly Church) Jesus is talking about in Matthew 16:18 will not be overcome by Satan.

2 Thessalonians 2:4  Who opposeth and exalteth himself above all that is called God, or that is worshipped; so that he as God sitteth in the temple of God, shewing himself that he is God.

2 Timothy 4:3  For the time will come when they will not endure sound doctrine; but after their own lusts shall they heap to themselves teachers, having itching ears;
2 Timothy 4:4  And they shall turn away their ears from the truth, and shall be turned unto fables.

i just do not have a problem with this. it was in the 3rd and 4th centuries that the major persecutions ended and allowed the church to be more artistic. but again look at the church today in protestantism,,,, suits and ties, crystal cathedrals, mega churches, millenium cruises.... this too is a much different church than the apostles...  
The parading of wealth in the church is not limited to Catholics.
What better sign that it is not a church founded with God than this love of wealth.

Matthew 6:24  No man can serve two masters: for either he will hate the one, and love the other; or else he will hold to the one, and despise the other. Ye cannot serve God and mammon.

Churches shouldn’t need security systems, they have God.
The Catholic church has done a very good job in giving aid to those in need. They have evangelized the world. They have done a lot of good and charitable works. But they have withheld some for their own glory.

Acts 5:3  But Peter said, Ananias, why hath Satan filled thine heart to lie to the Holy Ghost, and to keep back part of the price of the land?

The money churches gather should be used to spread the gospel, and to care for the congregation. I know of nothing, in the bible, that says the churches are to have such elaborate ceremonies. In the OT there was some pomp but this was done as a ‘picture’ of the glory of God.
except that the jews understood gehenna to mean a 12 month period of time after death of purgation. if it was invented it was invented before the christians.
The Jews did not understand that the messiah was to die to purge us of our sins. They cannot accept that the blood of Jesus washes us clean.
i have to point out that again it is our reliance on the teaching authority of the church that has kept us together for 2 thousand years. if there were no infallibility there would be no bible, and without both there would have been no defense against the schismatics you mentioned. even today we base our knowledge of cults upon what was offerd through tradition.
We have the bible because God protected it, not the church. I trust God.
The Catholic Church does not follow the gospel in many ways as I have mentioned.
One of the basis of a cult is that the leader is infallible. The leader has special information from God. The leader is a person
In the true church the Leader is Christ.
The true gospel is established and held by the bible and the bible alone, nothing more and nothing less.

2,000 years.

We believe that the Baptists are the original Christians. We did not commence our existence at the reformation, we were reformers before Luther and Calvin were born; we never came from the Church of Rome, for we were never in it, but we have an unbroken line up to the apostles themselves. We have always existed from the days of Christ, and our principles, sometimes veiled and forgotten, like a river which may travel under ground for a little season, have always had honest and holy adherents. Persecuted alike by Romanists and Protestants of almost every sect, yet there has never existed a Government holding Baptist principles which persecuted others; nor, I believe, any body of Baptists ever held it to be right to put the consciences of others under the control of man. We have ever been ready to suffer, as our martyrologies will prove, but we are not ready to accept any help from the State, to prostitute the purity of the Bride of Christ to any alliance with Government, and we will never make the Church, although the Queen, the despot over the consciences of men.
—Charles H. Spurgeon
http://www.reformedreader.org/history/list.htm

If you are still interested in conversation after all the work of your move I’ll pay attention.
John

ollie
Gold Member

Being born again, .....by the word of God,

View Profile
« Reply #72 on: May 31, 2004, 02:10:46 PM »

The Muslims and Buddhists have less sects then Christians. We have tens of thousands of sects. Why are we so much more divided then the non-believers?
Satan! He divides, accuses, destroys. He works through men/women.  

Support your local Christian.
Left Coast

It's all His work

View Profile
« Reply #73 on: May 31, 2004, 05:02:04 PM »

The Muslims and Buddhists have less sects then Christians. We have tens of thousands of sects. Why are we so much more divided then the non-believers?
Satan! He divides, accuses, destroys. He works through men/women.  

LOOK OUT!!!!
It was a comment like that that got me in trouble.

I don't think it is the Catholic Church's fault, or anyone else’s fault.
God raises churches up, but they are run by very fallible men. So they fall away.
When someone sees that the church is in error, they start a new one. And the cycle continues. Add to that those that believe they are right and can't be wrong to start their own churches.
Remember Muslims and Buddhists and others are false gospels, Satan doesn't have that much motivation to attack them. He does have motivation to attack and divide the body of Christ.
That kind of thinking will get you into lots of long and detailed replies.

I don't think it is the Catholic Church's fault, or anyone else’s fault.
God raises churches up, but they are run by very fallible men. So they fall away.
When someone sees that the church is in error, they start a new one. And the cycle continues. Add to that those that believe they are right and can't be wrong to start their own churches.
Remember Muslims and Buddhists and others are false gospels, Satan doesn't have that much motivation to attack them. He does have motivation to attack and divide the body of Christ.

Sounds like you are saying it IS someones fault. Blaming Satan, classic. Do you really think Satan is responsible for the Great Schism and Reformation? Undecided
I thought my original post was pretty short.
My Mothers nickname was Ollie. I like it.

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

More From ChristiansUnite...    About Us | Privacy Policy | | ChristiansUnite.com Site Map | Statement of Beliefs

Copyright © 1999-2019 ChristiansUnite.com. All rights reserved.
Please send your questions, comments, or bug reports to the