Webmasters
• Christian Guestbooks
• Banner Exchange
• Dynamic Content

Subscribe to our Free Newsletter.
Enter your email address:

ChristiansUnite
Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 25, 2024, 04:50:03 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Our Lord Jesus Christ loves you.
286805 Posts in 27568 Topics by 3790 Members
Latest Member: Goodwin
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  ChristiansUnite Forums
|-+  Welcome
| |-+  Questions, help, suggestions, and bug reports (Moderator: admin)
| | |-+  Purpouse driven life question
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Purpouse driven life question  (Read 2431 times)
B-Rad

I'm a llama!

View Profile
« on: May 09, 2004, 11:21:26 PM »

Hi, i'm new here, and i VERY recently have wanted to become close to christ. The thing is, I find the purpose driven life a lot more informational book for me than the bible, or, it put's it in lamens terms for me i guess....so what i was wondering, is it wrong to base my thoughts and opinions on christianty on purpouse driven life rather than the bible? I've read a little of both ((on 5th chapter of purpouse driven life, and read first few pages of gensis and matthew)) books and purpose driven life just seems better for me..I'm sure a lot of you are familiar with the book, and right now, i'm kind of ignorant on christianity, but thats what i'm working on Wink. Thanks
« Last Edit: May 09, 2004, 11:22:45 PM by B-Rad » Logged
jeep77cj5

I'm a llama!

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2004, 09:22:13 PM »

I am in the same spot as you, reading the purp driven life also but am also reading a study bible from zondervan and it is really helping me navigate around the different areas and also has some extra explanation's that kind of tie things together, still much too learn,  maybe a good bible study group could help with area's you may not completely understand??  I have a sister that has been studying for several years so she helps me alot!!!   good luck
Gracey

...still just a child

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2004, 08:49:36 AM »

so what i was wondering, is it wrong to base my thoughts and opinions on christianty on purpouse driven life rather than the bible?

To put it plainly, the answer yes, it is wrong. The Purpose Driven Life (while a helpful book) cannot replace the Word of God.

To begin with, the bible is the inspired, infallible Word of God. The Purpose Driven Life was written by man; quite possibly it was inspired, but it is not infallible. There are passages taken from many different bible versions - taken, in fact to fit with Rick Warren's views - which somewhat change the meaning of the verse.

I have been through the Purpose Driven Life twice - the first time was extremely helpful - it pushed me to dig deeper into my own faith and what I was doing about it. The second time when we tried to "go deeper" with the book and use the bible as a "check" the flaws began to appear.

It may be a useful tool to "jump start" your desire to grow in the Lord, but please, please don't use it as a replacement to the Bible. The Word of God is "sharper than a two edged sword" - it is where the truth will be found.

In Christ
Gracey

†† Guided by God ††
Allinall
Gold Member

HE is my All in All.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2004, 11:24:13 AM »

Yes and no.  While Gracey has a very valid point that you can never replace the Word of God, it is also important to note that God uses many things to teach us.  In this age, all of them are considered and filtered through that Word.  If not, you run great risk of learning, and propogating error.

But at the same time, our God is bigger than books my friend.  He can take them and use them in your life in marvelous ways.  I have a friend, who used to pastor my wife's church, that kept two or three spiral notebooks that he used to keep record of the things God taught him apart from his bible study.  Uniquely, all were biblically based, but all came from life.  God uses His Word to give us truth.  God uses life to make that truth real in our lives.  Keep going my friend.  As long as God has the reigns, He will lead you correctly.   Smiley

"that I may know him and the power of his resurrection, and may share his sufferings, becoming like him in his death"
Shammu
Global Moderator
Gold Member

B(asic) I(nstructions) B(efore) L(eaving) E(arth)

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2004, 11:44:59 PM »

Sorry Allinall, I have to agree with Gracey. When you compare it to the Bible flaws do appear. It is usefully for a jump start but don't put all your trust into the book. The only book that says it like it is, is the Bible.

Go in peace with God
DW

ollie
Gold Member

Being born again, .....by the word of God,

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2004, 07:09:31 PM »

Is the purpose of the "Purpose Driven Life" to redeem you back to God?

Support your local Christian.
Allinall
Gold Member

HE is my All in All.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2004, 09:29:44 AM »

Sorry Allinall, I have to agree with Gracey. When you compare it to the Bible flaws do appear. It is usefully for a jump start but don't put all your trust into the book. The only book that says it like it is, is the Bible.

Go in peace with God
DW

Missed my point bro.  The revelation for God for us today is His Word.  And that alone can be the source of our nuritiment, comfort, correction and instruction.  Yet it is through that, that we can see that same Word made real in the world around us.  It's one thing to say Jesus loves me, and even see the depth of that love in the pages of Scripture.  It's another thing entirely to see that love fleshed out in the lives of His own.  If you can get that in a book, or in the local body, or in the world around you...go for it!  But note:  you never will get that if you don't have that Word already active in your life.

Maybe I was unclear before.  Does that help?  If not, no harm no foul on my part.   Smiley

"that I may know him and the power of his resurrection, and may share his sufferings, becoming like him in his death"
Shammu
Global Moderator
Gold Member

B(asic) I(nstructions) B(efore) L(eaving) E(arth)

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: May 16, 2004, 02:01:12 PM »

Maybe I was unclear before.  Does that help?  If not, no harm no foul on my part.   Smiley
Yes much clearer, for me you weren't that clear before. As you said, no harm no foul on my part, as well.

Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

More From ChristiansUnite...    About Us | Privacy Policy | | ChristiansUnite.com Site Map | Statement of Beliefs

Copyright © 1999-2019 ChristiansUnite.com. All rights reserved.
Please send your questions, comments, or bug reports to the