Webmasters
• Christian Guestbooks
• Banner Exchange
• Dynamic Content

Subscribe to our Free Newsletter.
Enter your email address:

ChristiansUnite
Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 25, 2024, 01:24:30 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Our Lord Jesus Christ loves you.
286805 Posts in 27568 Topics by 3790 Members
Latest Member: Goodwin
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  ChristiansUnite Forums
|-+  Prayer
| |-+  General Discussion (Moderator: admin)
| | |-+  The 7 deadly sins
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: The 7 deadly sins  (Read 7375 times)
Shammu
Global Moderator
Gold Member

B(asic) I(nstructions) B(efore) L(eaving) E(arth)

View Profile WWW
« on: May 08, 2004, 02:12:56 AM »

I have posted the reverse of what the sins should be
Pride, should be Love
Greed should be generosity
Ect....ect..
Pride~~Seeing ourselves as we are and not comparing ourselves to others is humility. Pride and vanity are competitive. If someone else's pride really bothers you, you have a lot of pride.

Avarice~Greed~~This is about more than money. Generosity means letting others get the credit or praise. It is giving without having expectations of the other person. Greed wants to get its "fair share" or a bit more.

Envy~~"Love is patient, love is kind…" Love actively seeks the good of others for their sake. Envy resents the good others receive or even might receive. Envy is almost indistinguishable from pride at times.

Anger~Wrath~~Kindness means taking the tender approach, with patience and compassion. Anger is often our first reaction to the problems of others. Impatience with the faults of others is related to this.

Lust~~Self control and self mastery prevent pleasure from killing the soul by suffocation. Legitimate pleasures are controlled in the same way an athlete's muscles are: for maximum efficiency without damage. Lust is the self-destructive drive for pleasure out of proportion to its worth. Sex, power, or image can be used well, but they tend to go out of control.

Gluttony~~Temperance accepts the natural limits of pleasures and preserves this natural balance. This does not pertain only to food, but to entertainment and other legitimate goods, and even the company of others.

Sloth~~Zeal is the energetic response of the heart to God's commands. The other sins work together to deaden the spiritual senses so we first become slow to respond to God and then drift completely into the sleep of complacency.

Meaning of sloth for those of you that don't know what it means.
1.[n]  apathy and inactivity in the practice of virtue (personified as one of the deadly sins)
2.[n]  a disinclination to work or exert yourself

Sorry to say, I have see a few prideful people here. This is why I posted them here.

Go with God in peace
DW
« Last Edit: May 08, 2004, 02:15:46 AM by DreamWeaver » Logged

felix102

Jesus Christ is Lord!

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2004, 02:12:12 AM »

Seeing ourselves as we are and not comparing ourselves to others is humility. Pride and vanity are competitive.

Amen, not seeing ourselves as we are and comparing ourselves to others is very bad. When we do that, we overlook what God has given us; what he created us for. Everyone of us God created specialy for a specific purpose. To fulfill this purpose He gave us our life with certain gifts and skills, the tribulations we face, set us with the parents we have, made us the way we look, and even the time we were to be born into the world. When we try to be like someone we're not or when we envy something from someone else, that stops you from realizing what God has given you as a servant to Him.

We are all one body and each part is important. If you are an eye dont try to be a foot. You may want to be the part that makes the body run fast but without the eye the body would not know where its going.

In all things though, if we have love, it will cover all these things. With love we will be humble and with love we will not envy.
Shammu
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2004, 02:55:01 AM »

With love we will be humble and with love we will not envy.
Amen, brother!!!

archangel

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2004, 05:27:11 AM »

Hello DreamWeaver,
As best I can tell until a person really examines their own life and looks honestly at themselves and accepts that they need God just to exist, there is too much pride and self-worth involved.  We have to give it all up and give it all to Him or all our sin is deadly.

archangel

Psa 119:11  Thy word have I laid up in my heart, That I might not sin against thee.
Shammu
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2004, 12:38:51 AM »

Hello DreamWeaver,
As best I can tell until a person really examines their own life and looks honestly at themselves and accepts that they need God just to exist, there is too much pride and self-worth involved.  We have to give it all up and give it all to Him or all our sin is deadly.
Amen Threadbear

Go with God in peace
DW

David_james
Gold Member

Jesus loves you

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2009, 02:03:46 PM »

I was thinking about the deadly sins and came to the conclusion that they are the root of all sins.

Rev 21:4  And God shall wipe away all tears from their eyes; and there shall be no more death, neither sorrow, nor crying, neither shall there be any more pain: for the former things are passed away.
nChrist
Global Moderator
Gold Member

May God Lead And Guide Us All

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2009, 02:44:29 PM »

I was thinking about the deadly sins and came to the conclusion that they are the root of all sins.

Hello Brother David,

You're right. There's only one worse:  rejection of JESUS CHRIST as LORD AND SAVIOUR. I love the way that JESUS summarized things for HIS disciples, and it's known as the Royal Law because it is based on love:

Matthew 22:36-40  NASB  "Teacher, which is the great commandment in the Law?" And He said to him, " 'YOU SHALL LOVE THE LORD YOUR GOD WITH ALL YOUR HEART, AND WITH ALL YOUR SOUL, AND WITH ALL YOUR MIND.' "This is the great and foremost commandment. "The second is like it, 'YOU SHALL LOVE YOUR NEIGHBOR AS YOURSELF.' "On these two commandments depend the whole Law and the Prophets."

This is quite beautiful and includes the ultimate LAW:  The Law of Faith in JESUS CHRIST. The LOVE of JESUS CHRIST leads to the most precious and important event in human history:  JESUS CHRIST dying on the CROSS for us. The "Royal Law" is a fitting description because JESUS CHRIST, the KING OF KINGS, is the only one who ever walked the face of the earth who fulfilled it perfectly. HIS Perfect LOVE is the GOOD NEWS, and HE made GOD'S Plan of Salvation so simple because of HIS Sacrifice for us on the CROSS. The Law of Faith in JESUS CHRIST has set us free from the Curse of Sin and Death. If you look at the Ten Commandments, the 7 sins we are talking about, the Royal Law, and the CROSS - it all fits together perfectly. JESUS CHRIST did for us what we could not do, and all HE did was Perfect.

John 10:7-18 NASB  7  So Jesus said to them again, "Truly, truly, I say to you, I am the door of the sheep.  8  "All who came before Me are thieves and robbers, but the sheep did not hear them.  9  "I am the door; if anyone enters through Me, he will be saved, and will go in and out and find pasture.  10  "The thief comes only to steal and kill and destroy; I came that they may have life, and have it abundantly.  11  "I am the good shepherd; the good shepherd lays down His life for the sheep.  12  "He who is a hired hand, and not a shepherd, who is not the owner of the sheep, sees the wolf coming, and leaves the sheep and flees, and the wolf snatches them and scatters them.  13  "He flees because he is a hired hand and is not concerned about the sheep.  14  "I am the good shepherd, and I know My own and My own know Me,  15  even as the Father knows Me and I know the Father; and I lay down My life for the sheep.  16  "I have other sheep, which are not of this fold; I must bring them also, and they will hear My voice; and they will become one flock with one shepherd.  17  "For this reason the Father loves Me, because I lay down My life so that I may take it again.  18  "No one has taken it away from Me, but I lay it down on My own initiative. I have authority to lay it down, and I have authority to take it up again. This commandment I received from My Father."

Love In Christ,
Tom

Romans 3:21-28 ASV  But now apart from the law a righteousness of God hath been manifested, being witnessed by the law and the prophets;  22  even the righteousness of God through faith in Jesus Christ unto all them that believe; for there is no distinction;  23  for all have sinned, and fall short of the glory of God;  24  being justified freely by his grace through the redemption that is in Christ Jesus:  25  whom God set forth to be a propitiation, through faith, in his blood, to show his righteousness because of the passing over of the sins done aforetime, in the forbearance of God;  26  for the showing, I say, of his righteousness at this present season: that he might himself be just, and the justifier of him that hath faith in Jesus.  27  Where then is the glorying? It is excluded. By what manner of law? of works? Nay: but by a law of faith.  28  We reckon therefore that a man is justified by faith apart from the works of the law.
« Last Edit: March 06, 2009, 02:48:10 PM by blackeyedpeas » Logged

HappyGirl

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 16, 2009, 03:03:29 PM »

Thanks so much for posting these.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

More From ChristiansUnite...    About Us | Privacy Policy | | ChristiansUnite.com Site Map | Statement of Beliefs

Copyright © 1999-2019 ChristiansUnite.com. All rights reserved.
Please send your questions, comments, or bug reports to the