Webmasters
• Christian Guestbooks
• Banner Exchange
• Dynamic Content

Subscribe to our Free Newsletter.
Enter your email address:

ChristiansUnite
Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 23, 2024, 03:34:11 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Our Lord Jesus Christ loves you.
286866 Posts in 27569 Topics by 3790 Members
Latest Member: Goodwin
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  ChristiansUnite Forums
|-+  Theology
| |-+  Apologetics (Moderator: admin)
| | |-+  Pentocostals and United Pentocostals
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Pentocostals and United Pentocostals  (Read 3746 times)
Izar

Is ther anyone who really cares about anyone else?

View Profile WWW
« on: April 25, 2004, 04:58:16 PM »

Is there even a difference? Many pentocostal Churches I have gone to either say "Pentocostal" or "United Pentocostal."

Also, fellow Pentocostals (or united), do you think Watching TV is wrong? My brother thinks we should not own TV's. But I watch the good stuff. Nothing with sex, suicide, or nudity. Just plain, normal stuff.

I dip this pen into my heart, write from my soul.
If ink were blood, I'd be still and cold...
Incarcerated in mortality
Until we give up the ghost
Languishing over morality
The flesh we love the most
The soul incased in prison
Encircled within our minds
Sapphire W34P0N
Gold Member

We'll party like we're dead.

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2004, 06:30:35 PM »

Just plain, normal stuff.

Nowadays, "plain, normal stuff" IS sex, suicide, and nudity.
Shylynne
Gold Member

Oh that I might kiss the feet of God!

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2004, 10:15:10 PM »

If a person feels something is wrong, they should not do it.  Something might be wrong for me, which may not be wrong for you, simply because it adversely affects me. This does not mean that because something seems wrong to me, it is wrong for everyone. Neither should another man`s conscience set the standard for our lives, but rather our guide should be the Holy Spirit in accordance with the  Word of God.
A man can view something 'sinful' on television and shut it off to avoid temptation, and then because of that experience, conclude that watching any television will always lead to sin, so give a commandment  'Thou shalt not watch television!'   Then  he begins to use this commandment  to judge or influence others in what may be a sincere effort to deal with what he deems to be a sin issue, but if we have purified our hearts and our desire is to please  God in all areas of our lives, we will know when anything we partake of is not pleasing to Him, for His spirit will speak into our own conscience.

Eph 4:23  And be renewed in the spirit of your mind;
Eph 4:24  And that ye put on the new man, which after God is created in righteousness and true holiness.
Eph 4:30  And grieve not the holy Spirit of God, whereby ye are sealed unto the day of redemption.

“Christianity isn't all that complicated … it's Jesus.”   — Joni Eareckson Tada

There is no force on earth as powerful as one human soul set ablaze with the Spirit of God -  Shylynne
Evangelist
Gold Member

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2004, 11:37:28 AM »

Izar:
There is a difference, however slight.

"Pentecostal" is quite often used just to denote the leanings of the particular church as regards methods of worship and belief in the gifts of the Holy Spirit, generally in regards to speaking in tongues.

Some of the Holiness Pentecostal churches consider that speaking in tongues to be the ONLY evidence of salvation, and also eschew TV, radio, makeup, short hair, etc.

The United Pentecostals generally fall into the category of "oneness" Pentecostalism, which declares that salvation is only by baptism ONLY in the Name of Jesus (no Father, Son, or Holy Ghost baptisms) PLUS the speaking in tongues. Many UPC churches are moving away from the tongues requirement, but...... most still like to see (hear) it.

Some Pentecostals (like T. D. Jakes, The Potter's House) are modalist (deny the Trinity).

I think  there's about as many varieties of Pentecostal as there are of Baptists.

BroHank
John 8:12 Ministries  www.john812.com
The Beymers  www.thebeymers.org
Bawilli

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2004, 07:50:28 PM »

I have been going to a Pentacostal church. It is some how affiliated with the Assemblies of God, although not sure how.
  Nothing has ever been said about what to watch or whether to watch tv or how long ones hair should be.  They teach that we are saved through the blood of Jesus, not the evidence of speaking of tongues.  But like you said there are many different Pentacosts just as other denominations.  I am still learning and I try to stick with what the bible says rather than what a denomination says.  It's less confussion to me. Smiley   -Bawilli  
Tibby
Gold Member

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2004, 07:40:34 PM »

I always thought AOG was a type of Pentecostal

Wait a second, T.D. Jakes doesn't believe in the Trinity?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?! YOU'RE KIDDING ME!!!!!!!!!!

Was there ever a time when Common sence was common?
Reba
« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2004, 09:59:36 PM »

Wait a second, T.D. Jakes doesn't believe in the Trinity?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?! YOU'RE KIDDING ME!!!!!!!!!!

Correct on both counts Tibby  Sheesh even catholics are correct some times  Tongue
Reba
« Reply #7 on: May 03, 2004, 10:02:19 PM »

I have been going to a Pentacostal church. It is some how affiliated with the Assemblies of God, although not sure how.
  Nothing has ever been said about what to watch or whether to watch tv or how long ones hair should be.  They teach that we are saved through the blood of Jesus, not the evidence of speaking of tongues.  But like you said there are many different Pentacosts just as other denominations.  I am still learning and I try to stick with what the bible says rather than what a denomination says.  It's less confussion to me. Smiley   -Bawilli  

Amen! God will never let you down HE does not retract His word. God is good all the time.....
Shylynne
Gold Member

Oh that I might kiss the feet of God!

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 04, 2004, 07:37:42 PM »

Luk 10:2  Therefore said he unto them, The harvest truly is great, but the labourers are few: pray ye therefore the Lord of the harvest, that he would send forth labourers into his harvest.

This is a UPC link that has some great audio sermons you might find helpful also Izar ...good stuff!  Cheesy

http://www.upci.org/harvestime/broadcasts/english.htm

“Christianity isn't all that complicated … it's Jesus.”   — Joni Eareckson Tada

There is no force on earth as powerful as one human soul set ablaze with the Spirit of God -  Shylynne
Evangelist
Gold Member

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: May 05, 2004, 05:10:09 PM »

Tibby said:

You could say (although they would disagree) that AoG is kind of a "baptistic" pentecostalism, or "liberated" baptists.

'Fraid not.

From Jakes website, this is a variation on the "Oneness Pentecostal" doctrine. Please note the bolded parts.

God--There is one God, Creator of all things, infinitely perfect, and eternally existing in three Manifestations: Father, Son, and Holy Spirit.

Jesus Christ--Jesus Christ is true God and true man, having been conceived of the Holy Spirit and born of the virgin Mary. He died on the cross, the complete and final sacrifice for our sins according to the Scriptures. Further, He arose bodily from the dead, ascended into heaven, where, at the right hand of the Majesty on High, He is now our High Priest and Advocate.

The Holy Spirit--The ministry of the Holy Spirit is to glorify the Lord Jesus Christ and during this age, to convict men of sin, regenerate the believing sinner, indwell, guide, instruct, and empower the believer for godly living and service.
Ministry Beliefs (Last checked Dec. 14, 1999

The belief that God exists in three "manifestations" is called Sabellianism or modalism:

Sabellianism or Modalism. Sabellius (A.D. 200), the originator of this viewpoint, spoke of Father, Son, and Holy Spirit, but he understood all three as no more than three manifestations of one God. This teaching came to be known as modalism because it views one God who variously manifests Himself in three modes of existence: Father, Son, and Holy Spirit.

In modalist theology, while Jesus (as God) was on the earth, there was no God in heaven. Conversely, there is now no God or Jesus in Heaven, since they (He) is currently employing the "mode" of Holy Spirit.

Joyce Meyers follows the same reasoning, as does Tom Tenney, and quite a few others.

John 17 tends to destroy this type of thinking.

BroHank
Reba
« Reply #10 on: May 05, 2004, 06:26:15 PM »

Evanglist,

I am a bit confussed by your post...

Jakes is not AofG.

AofG holds to trinity teaching.

Do you agree with the  2 statments above?

With no eye contact or body language to read i loose the meanings often, Thanks

Evangelist
Gold Member

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: May 06, 2004, 07:02:11 AM »

Hi Reba:
I am a bit confussed by your post...
Jakes is not AofG.
AofG holds to trinity teaching.
Do you agree with the  2 statments above?
With no eye contact or body language to read i loose the meanings often, Thanks

Happens sometimes, esp. when addressing two diff. questions in the same reply.

Jakes is NOT AoG....He is a variation of the Oneness Pentecostal. His particular church, and movement, is called The Potters House, and has been allied with the Vineyard movement at one time. All of these are variants of the generic pentecostal realm, which covers a wide range of territory.

The AoG does hold to the Trinity as expressed in orthodox Christianity....one God, three persons, co-eternal, co-equal, co-existent.

BroHank
Reba
« Reply #12 on: May 06, 2004, 08:47:16 AM »

SImple direct answers   how refreshing  Cheesy

Thanks ....
Izar

Is ther anyone who really cares about anyone else?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: May 18, 2004, 06:36:42 PM »

Here is my proof God is Jesus:

The Jews therefore said to Him, "You are not yet fifty years old, and have You seen Abraham?" Jesus said to them, "Truly, truly, I say to you, before Abraham was born, I am." Therefore they picked up stones to throw at Him; but Jesus hid Himself, and went out of the temple. (John 8:57-59)

"I and the Father are one." The Jews took up stones again to stone Him. Jesus answered them, "I showed you many good works from the Father; for which of them are you stoning Me?" The Jews answered Him, "For a good work we do not stone You, but for blasphemy; and because You, being a man, make Yourself out to be God." (John 10:30-33)

And Jesus cried out and said, "He who believes in Me does not believe in Me, but in Him who sent Me. And he who beholds Me beholds the One who sent Me. I have come as light into the world, that everyone who believes in Me may not remain in darkness." (John 12:44-46)

And so when He had washed their feet, and taken His garments, and reclined at the table again, He said to them, "Do you know what I have done to you? You call Me Teacher and Lord; and you are right, for I am. If I then, the Lord and the Teacher, washed your feet, you also ought to wash one another's feet." (John 13:12-14)

Jesus said to him, "I am the way, and the truth, and the life; no one comes to the Father, but through Me. If you had known Me, you would have known My Father also; from now on you know Him, and have seen Him." Philip said to Him, "Lord, show us the Father, and it is enough for us." Jesus said to him, "Have I been so long with you, and yet you have not come to know Me, Philip? He who has seen Me has seen the Father; how do you say, 'Show us the Father'?" (John 14:6-9)

Some say, If Jesus (Y'shua as his hebrew name is) was GOD, then he could not have sacrificed his life. The truth is, He was GOD in the FLESH.

I dip this pen into my heart, write from my soul.
If ink were blood, I'd be still and cold...
Incarcerated in mortality
Until we give up the ghost
Languishing over morality
The flesh we love the most
The soul incased in prison
Encircled within our minds
bluelake

I'm a llama!

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 21, 2004, 12:03:08 AM »

The United Pentecostal Church, (UPCI) has a different doctrine
from other Pentecostal churches. They tend to be very legalistic. They deny the Trinity, a person must speak in tongues to be saved. A person must be baptized in the name of Jesus. Acts2:38. They do not recognize (Mt.28:19-20)
Women must follow certain dress codes and not cut their hair. Tv. movies and sports, swimming are also prohibited.
None of these requirements are found in scripture.

As far as I know other Pentecostal churches do accept the Trinity and believe in the saving grace of God. (Eph.2:8-9)

God bless,
bluelake

Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

More From ChristiansUnite...    About Us | Privacy Policy | | ChristiansUnite.com Site Map | Statement of Beliefs

Copyright © 1999-2019 ChristiansUnite.com. All rights reserved.
Please send your questions, comments, or bug reports to the