Webmasters
• Christian Guestbooks
• Banner Exchange
• Dynamic Content

Subscribe to our Free Newsletter.
Enter your email address:

ChristiansUnite
Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 26, 2024, 04:01:43 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Our Lord Jesus Christ loves you.
286805 Posts in 27568 Topics by 3790 Members
Latest Member: Goodwin
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  ChristiansUnite Forums
|-+  Welcome
| |-+  Questions, help, suggestions, and bug reports (Moderator: admin)
| | |-+  another silly question i would like answered!
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: another silly question i would like answered!  (Read 2561 times)
Mariposa

I'm a llama!

View Profile
« on: April 07, 2004, 12:44:41 AM »

i know i probably sound crazy and like i know nothing....but i can remember for anything what language Jesus spoke.  please answer me....i'm not a complete moron.  i just have been interested in how you say butterfly in other languages.  and i was wondering what language Jesus would say it in.
ollie
Gold Member

Being born again, .....by the word of God,

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2004, 06:12:08 AM »

It was aramaic.

Main Entry: Ar·a·ma·ic
Pronunciation: "ar-&-'mA-ik
Function: noun
: a Semitic language known since the ninth century B.C. as the speech of the Aramaeans and later used extensively in southwest Asia as a commercial and governmental language and adopted as their customary speech by various non-Aramaean peoples including the Jews after the Babylonian exile ***

Hi, and welcome.

Ollie

***- Merriam Webster Online Dictionary

Support your local Christian.
Mariposa

I'm a llama!

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2004, 12:32:18 PM »

ollie-  thank you so very much!  see i'm not sure where you are from or if you have heard of emmaus (sp?).  it's an adult three day walk with Christ.  well i went on chrysalis...which is the youth one.  i went a couple years ago...i ain't youth no more. Sad  hehe!  but ever since then i absolutely love butterflies!  and i got a new car this past week and still need to get a license plate...and i wanted to find out how butterfly would be said in the language Jesus spoke.....

ya get me?  thanks for replying! Wink
Willowbirch
Gold Member

He is risen! - He is risen indeed.

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2004, 12:19:14 PM »

Here's your Aramaic word: (from a google-search) PIRRPIRRAA - - - - butterfly (That may be the pronunciation rather than the word itself; I'm not sure.)

Now some Fun stuff... Grin

http://www.learnassyrian.com/aramaic/animals/animals.html

http://www.jessyjudaica.com/ketubahs/n_shoham/butterfly.htm

One common yet erroneous explanation for this word's origin is that it comes from flutterby. What we do know, instead, is that this word is very old (pre-8th century). It was originally buturfliogæ, a compound of butere `butter' and fleoge `fly.' Why butter? Some suggest that it was due to many butterflies being yellow in color, like butter. Others believe it is based upon the yellow excrement of butterflies. Still others hold to the notion that butterflies were thought to land in kitchens and drink milk or butter left uncovered (this, interestingly, is supported by a German word for butterfly, milchdieb `milk-thief').

"Man dreams and desires; God broods, and wills, and quickens."
BUTCHA

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2004, 09:27:08 PM »

boy im glad i didnt give my answer, is their anything you guys dont know? Grin
Willowbirch
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2004, 02:49:06 PM »

boy im glad i didnt give my answer, is their anything you guys dont know? Grin
Don't worry. I know less than most people I know, and I know it.

Mariposa

I'm a llama!

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2004, 11:44:15 PM »

willowbirch-  thanks for the reply!  i really enjoyed all the info!  i have a butterfly tattoo...sorry don't know how you all feel about tat's....but i think they are okay.  because i believe the blood is stronger than ink and that it's not harming my body which is on a temporary body.  anyways...i was thinking about using the aramaic idea with getting "NEW CREATION"  put underneath my tat.  

you all have been such help to me!  see i have just rededicated myself.  we had a two week revivial at my church!  the first week was so good we couldn't stop and went anothe week.  and i stopped smoking!  it was hard.  but ya know what...it's not worth it. my conviction separated me from God and i don't wanna be anymore.  i'm sorry here i'm giving my testimony....sorry!  much love!  thanks!
luv-n-Christ!
Willowbirch
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 12, 2004, 11:47:56 AM »

willowbirch-  thanks for the reply!  i really enjoyed all the info!  i have a butterfly tattoo...sorry don't know how you all feel about tat's....but i think they are okay.  because i believe the blood is stronger than ink and that it's not harming my body which is on a temporary body.  anyways...i was thinking about using the aramaic idea with getting "NEW CREATION"  put underneath my tat.  
Oh wow! I'd love to see it. I personally wouldn't get a tattoo, but not because I think they're evil.

you all have been such help to me!  see i have just rededicated myself.  we had a two week revivial at my church!  the first week was so good we couldn't stop and went anothe week.  and i stopped smoking!  it was hard.  but ya know what...it's not worth it. my conviction separated me from God and i don't wanna be anymore.  i'm sorry here i'm giving my testimony....sorry!  much love!  thanks!
luv-n-Christ!
Wow again!  Cheesy Its wonderful to hear testimonies. I'm so glad that you've found something to give up to God so that you can live in obedience!

Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

More From ChristiansUnite...    About Us | Privacy Policy | | ChristiansUnite.com Site Map | Statement of Beliefs

Copyright © 1999-2019 ChristiansUnite.com. All rights reserved.
Please send your questions, comments, or bug reports to the