Webmasters
• Christian Guestbooks
• Banner Exchange
• Dynamic Content

Subscribe to our Free Newsletter.
Enter your email address:

ChristiansUnite
Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 06:44:01 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Our Lord Jesus Christ loves you.
286798 Posts in 27568 Topics by 3790 Members
Latest Member: Goodwin
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  ChristiansUnite Forums
|-+  Theology
| |-+  Debate (Moderator: admin)
| | |-+  Define "Cult"
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Define "Cult"  (Read 8040 times)
JudgeNot
Gold Member

Jesus, remember me... Luke 23:42

View Profile WWW
« on: April 01, 2004, 02:49:45 PM »

http://www.google.com/search?q=define:cult

I see a lot of folks on C-Unite referring to ‘Cults’.  How do you, personally, define a cult?  I’m not looking for some of your ‘blanket’ answers like ‘RCC’ – but a definitive answer – the practices and traits.  How do you spot what you believe is a cult - what first tips you off?  How do you defend your position when you accuse someone else of being in a cult?  Did you know that to many non-believers, any Christian is a cult member?  How do you respond to them?  Due to individual leadership, can a congregation of a certain denomination be a cult in one city but not a cult in another?

From the web:
According to the Compact Edition of the Oxford English Dictionary (1971) the term, "cult," originally referred to "worship; reverential homage rendered to a divine being or beings...a particular form or system of religious worship; especially in reference to its external rites and ceremonies ...devotion or homage to a particular person or thing." More recently, the term has taken on additional connotations: "3 : A religion regarded as unorthodox or spurious...4 : A system for the cure of disease based on dogma set forth by its promulgator...5 a. great devotion to a person, idea, object, movement, or work...b. a usually small group of people characterized by such devotion." (Merriam-Webster's Collegiate Dictionary, Tenth Edition, 1994)
Robbins's (1988) review of recent sociological contributions to the study of cults identifies four definitional perspectives:
•   cults as dangerous, authoritarian groups;
•   cults as culturally innovative or transcultural groups;
•   cults as loosely structured protoreligions;
•   Stark and Bainbridge’s (1985) subtypology that distinguishes among "audience cults" (members seek to receive information, e.g., through a lecture or tape series) "client cults" (members seek some specific benefit, e.g., psychotherapy, spiritual guidance), and "cult movements" (organizations that demand a high level of commitment from members). The Stark and Bainbridge typology relates to their finding that cult membership increases as church membership decreases.
Rutgers University professor Benjamin Zablocki (1997) says that sociologists often distinguish "cult" from "church," "sect," and "denomination." Cults are innovative, fervent groups. If they become accepted into the mainstream, cults, in his view, lose their fervor and become more organized and integrated into the community; they become churches. When people within churches become dissatisfied and break off into fervent splinter groups, the new groups are called sects. As sects become more stolid and integrated into the community, they become denominations. Zablocki defines a cult as "an ideological organization held together by charismatic relationships and demanding total commitment." According to Zablocki, cults are at high risk of becoming abusive to members, in part because members' adulation of charismatic leaders contributes to their becoming corrupted by the power they seek and are accorded.

Covering your tracks is futile; God knows where you're going and where you've been.
JPD
Allinall
Gold Member

HE is my All in All.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2004, 03:08:44 PM »

How do I define a cult?

I write to you, not because you do not know the truth, but because you know it, and because no lie is of the truth.  Who is the liar but he who denies that Jesus is the Christ? This is the antichrist, he who denies the Father and the Son.  No one who denies the Son has the Father. Whoever confesses the Son has the Father also.  Let what you heard from the beginning abide in you. If what you heard from the beginning abides in you, then you too will abide in the Son and in the Father.  And this is the promise that he made to us--eternal life.

1 John 2:21-25

The one true way we have of knowing if they're a cult or not is whether or not they accept the Son.  If they deny the Deity, the work, the Person, the message or in general, The Son...then they are a cult!  

Problem is, that makes it sticky when the don't deny Him, just His message...

"that I may know him and the power of his resurrection, and may share his sufferings, becoming like him in his death"
Tibby
Gold Member

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2004, 03:22:11 PM »

To those members who freely us it, Cult is just a hollow insult they toss out, in an effort to broadcast their disrespect for the target of the attack.

Allinall makes a point, have many Christians say the "All non-christians are cults" claim.

Dictionary.com isn't working today, so I used m-w.com

http://www.m-w.com/cgi-bin/dictionary

Main Entry: cult
Pronunciation: 'k&lt
Function: noun
Usage: often attributive
Etymology: French & Latin; French culte, from Latin cultus care, adoration, from colere to cultivate -- more at WHEEL
1 : formal religious veneration : WORSHIP
2 : a system of religious beliefs and ritual; also : its body of adherents
3 : a religion regarded as unorthodox or spurious; also : its body of adherents
4 : a system for the cure of disease based on dogma set forth by its promulgator <health cults>
5 a : great devotion to a person, idea, object, movement, or work (as a film or book); especially : such devotion regarded as a literary or intellectual fad b : a usually small group of people characterized by such devotion

If we define it like that, ANYTHING can be a Cult. Christianity, the GOP, Americans, NASCAR, Christiansunite.com, MTV. I think what most people think of then they think cult is:

Was there ever a time when Common sence was common?
Ambassador4Christ
Gold Member

Are You GOING TO HEAVEN?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2004, 04:03:59 PM »

There are about seven principle signs that identify a cult. Now when one hears the word "cult," the first connotation is that of some strange obscure religious group. But for our discussion the word cult is simply a word that describes organized heresy. In other words, any religious group that systematically teaches false doctrine. Knowing some of these signs is key to preventing people from following these cults.

The sign we will focus on here is the teaching of exclusivity. Cults will declare that they are the only way to heaven. Apart from them there is no salvation. They alone are the repositories of truth and all must join them to be saved. Here one might say, "yea, like the Jehovah’s Witnesses or the Mormons." But to infer, let alone say, that Catholicism is in this class, is to be condemned as a hate monger or Catholic basher.

To demonstrate that Roman Catholicism bears the mark of a cult is quite easy indeed. If we were left to our opinions and personal interpretations, it might be difficult, but Rome has supplied a mass (no pun intended) of evidence to use. For example:

1) "WE BELIEVE THE CHURCH IS NECESSARY FOR SALVATION BECAUSE CHRIST, WHO IS THE SOLE MEDIATOR AND EXCLUSIVE WAY OF SALVATION, RENDERS HIMSELF PRESENT FOR US IN HIS BODY WHICH IS THE CHURCH. WE MUST ALWAYS REMEMBER THE UNITY OF THE MYSTICAL BODY, WITHOUT WHICH THERE CAN BE NO SALVATION, IS OPEN TO NO ONE OUTSIDE THE CATHOLIC CHURCH."
Pope Paul VI

2) "THE HOLY UNIVERSAL CHURCH PROCLAIMS THAT GOD CANNOT TRULY BE WORSHIPPED SAVE WITHIN HERSELF, AND ASSERTS THAT ALL THEY WHO ARE WITHOUT HER PALE SHALL NEVER BE SAVED."
Pope Gregory the Great (Now how is that for ecumenism!)

3) "THE CHURCH IS LIKE THE ARK OF NOAH, OUTSIDE OF WHICH NOBODY CAN BE SAVED."
Thomas Aquinas.

4) "THAT THERE IS ONE HOLY CATHOLIC AND APOSTOLIC CHURCH WE ARE COMPELLED TO BELIEVE AND TO HOLD, PROMPTED BY DIVINE FAITH, AND WE DO BELIEVE THIS FIRMLY AND CONFESS IT SIMPLY, OUTSIDE OF WHICH THERE CAN BE NO SALVATION, OR REMISSION OF SINS…."
Pope Boniface VIII

5) "IT IS A SIN TO BELIEVE THAT THERE IS SALVATION OUTSIDE THE CATHOLIC CHURCH."
Pope Pius IX

6) "FOR IT IS THROUGH CHRIST’S CATHOLIC CHURCH ALONE, WHICH IS THE UNIVERSAL HELP TOWARDS SALVATION, THAT THE FULNESS OF THE MEANS OF SALVATION CAN BE OBTAINED."  
Vatican II

Now we have just cited six infallible sources of the Catholic Church to prove without reservations that they believe that they are the only way to heaven. Understand that they are saying that only Roman Catholics have a chance at going to heaven. This is classic cult mentality. The organization becomes the focus and the savior. Allow us to clearly illustrate this fact. In a recent debate with a Jesuit theologian, we were able to ask a very simple yet extremely important question. The question was "what do we have to do to go to heaven?" The answer that followed was very revealing. It clearly proved that Roman Catholicism teaches that every Baptist is going to hell, in addition to every Presbyterian, Methodist, etc. The Jesuit theologian said to go to heaven we must "do" several things. Firstly, believe the entire Bible. (Sounds like a fundamentalist.) Secondly, we must be baptized in water. Thirdly, we must keep the commandments. Fourthly, we must eat His flesh and drink His blood literally (in the sacrament of the mass). He mentioned a couple of others, but these four should suffice.

The Scripture clearly reveals to one and all that salvation comes from believing in the Lord Jesus Christ alone. (Cf. Acts 16:30-31; Eph. 2:8-9; Titus 3:5) The entire book of Galatians was written to demonstrate the futility of believing that the Law justifies or saves anyone. But the "eating" and "drinking" the literal flesh and blood of the Lord Jesus Christ says it all. For according to Roman Catholic theology, this can only be done after a "priest"—and only a priest—says the words of consecration over the bread and wine. Hence, no Catholic Church, no priest. No priest, no Mass or transubstantiation. No transubstantiation, no eating His flesh or drinking His blood. No eating and drinking of Jesus literally, NO SALVATION!

We commend to your reading Hebrews 7, 8, 9 and 10. The mysticism is clearly not biblical and certainly not necessary for anyone to be saved. Their insistence on such heresies places them at the top of the list of religious cults. That statement may seem a bit harsh, but it is nonetheless true. Catholicism does not differ from any of the cults where our first sign is concerned. A closer look at the other signs of a cult further confirm the fact that Catholicism, while large in number, humanitarian in practice, is still unbiblical and perhaps the mother of all "Christian" cults.

Are You GOING TO HEAVEN?

http://forums.christiansunite.com/index.php?board=3;action=display;threadid=550

Galatians 4:16   Am I therefore become your enemy, because I tell you the truth?
ebia
Gold Member

umm

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2004, 04:04:56 PM »

FWIW, in the UK the word cult is often applied to any "religion" that can't demonstrate sufficient qualities to register as a religion under the charities act.

How do I define a cult?

Quote:
I write to you, not because you do not know the truth, but because you know it, and because no lie is of the truth.  Who is the liar but he who denies that Jesus is the Christ? This is the antichrist, he who denies the Father and the Son.  No one who denies the Son has the Father. Whoever confesses the Son has the Father also.  Let what you heard from the beginning abide in you. If what you heard from the beginning abides in you, then you too will abide in the Son and in the Father.  And this is the promise that he made to us--eternal life.

The one true way we have of knowing if they're a cult or not is whether or not they accept the Son.  If they deny the Deity, the work, the Person, the message or in general, The Son...then they are a cult!  

You seem to be confusing cult with heresy.

"You shall know the truth, the truth shall set you free.

Christ doesn't need lies or censorship.
ebia
Gold Member

umm

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2004, 04:14:11 PM »

There are about seven principle signs that identify a cult. Now when one hears the word "cult," the first connotation is that of some strange obscure religious group. But for our discussion the word cult is simply a word that describes organized heresy.
At least this is open about it - "we'll pretend we are talking about cults, but actually we'll redefine the word to mean heresy and then talk about that..."

"You shall know the truth, the truth shall set you free.

Christ doesn't need lies or censorship.
2nd Timothy
Gold Member

Resident Meese Master

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 01, 2004, 04:43:25 PM »

How do I define a cult?

Amen brother!

Breaking it all down, the one thing that unites all religions/cults as separate from true Christianity is how salvation is attained.  Cults/religions teach individuals how *achieve* salvation by some means or works required by the individual.  True Christianity teaches us that there is nothing we can do to achieve it.  God the son did it all for us.  We just accept it by faith.   And yes, some christian groups could be lumped into the cult category.

To put it another way...there is nothing man could ever do to be holy enough, good enough, righteous enough before a Holy, righteous, almighty God.  Every cult in some form or other would teach contrary to this, by saying if you do this  that or the other, YOU will be good enough to be acceptable to God.

True Christianity teaches that only Jesus the son of God was ever Holy enough, good enough, righteous enough to be accepted by God.   We can only be in his righteousnes by faith, thus never achieving it of our own accord, but realising only He could attain it, and  allowing him to represent us before God.

Hope that helps.

Grace and Peace!

Tim

Enslaved in service to Christ
Broken

xLOSERx

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: April 01, 2004, 06:00:19 PM »

As far as I am aware, the definition of "cult" appears to be going through a process of change at the moment. Rather irritating as it leads to confusion.

I was brought up with the older definition of cult. I'll give a definition from the Columbia Encyclopaedia (6th Ed):

Cult: ritual observances involved in worship of, or communication with, the supernatural or its symbolic representations. A cult includes the totality of ideas, activities, and practices associated with a given divinity or social group. It includes not only ritual activities but also the beliefs and myths centering on the rites. The objects of the cult are often things associated with the daily life of the celebrants.

So a cult is the worship of a deity or deities, a very similar word to religion in fact, but with more of a lean on the ritual observance/actual process of worshipping.

Which is of course why I am quite happy to refer to the "cult of Christ", of ancient mystery cults, of pretty much all religions as cults of whatever or whoever, and meaning nothing derogatory by that.

Thus these quotes were never meant to be insulting:

"The god of the Jews was Yahweh; his worship was centered around the cult of his temple in Jerusalem, which was run by a hereditary high priesthood, and around his law, which was preserved in Hebrew scriptures" - The Encyclopedia of World History

"So Mr. Washington’s cult has gained unquestioning followers, his work has wonderfully prospered, his friends are legion, and his enemies are confounded." - W.E.B. Du Bois

"That which was the religion of Moses is the ceremonial or cult of the religion of Christ." --Coleridge

But as I said, the word is in transition, and the newer definition:

The term cult is now often used to refer to contemporary religious groups whose beliefs and practices depart from the conventional norms of society.

And I would add to that, and which are perceived to be dangerous and/or subversive.

Source

I have a theory as to why the meaning has fractured in this way. Partly, I think it is to do with the rise of destructive new religions or forms of religion - and the consequent search for a term which could be used of them. And partly I think that, as religion loses its meaning of worship and life in God, and comes to mean "ritual", that "cult" has lost its original meaning and is seen as a more extreme version of that-which-is-now-evil, religion.

Just my theory Smiley

And God will say:
Depart from me I never knew you!
I never knew you!
Never.

Man disavows, and Deity disowns me:
Hell might afford my miseries a shelter;
Therefore Hell keeps her ever-hungry mouths all
Bolted against me.
-Cowper
JudgeNot
Gold Member

Jesus, remember me... Luke 23:42

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: April 01, 2004, 06:04:37 PM »

A4C said:
"Now we have just cited…
Allow us to clearly illustrate…
In a recent debate with a Jesuit theologian, we were able…
We commend to your reading…"

Now, come on A4C – how many of you ARE there, really???  Have you (all) discussed this with your shrink?  

(Sorry A4C - I just couldn't let that one pass...)  Grin

Covering your tracks is futile; God knows where you're going and where you've been.
JPD
Allinall
Gold Member

HE is my All in All.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: April 02, 2004, 12:47:03 PM »

You seem to be confusing cult with heresy.

Do you have any idea how ironic that statement is?  Cheesy

"that I may know him and the power of his resurrection, and may share his sufferings, becoming like him in his death"
Allinall
Gold Member

HE is my All in All.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: April 02, 2004, 12:48:15 PM »

Amen brother!

Breaking it all down, the one thing that unites all religions/cults as separate from true Christianity is how salvation is attained.  Cults/religions teach individuals how *achieve* salvation by some means or works required by the individual.  True Christianity teaches us that there is nothing we can do to achieve it.  God the son did it all for us.  We just accept it by faith.  And yes, some christian groups could be lumped into the cult category.

To put it another way...there is nothing man could ever do to be holy enough, good enough, righteous enough before a Holy, righteous, almighty God.  Every cult in some form or other would teach contrary to this, by saying if you do this  that or the other, YOU will be good enough to be acceptable to God.

True Christianity teaches that only Jesus the son of God was ever Holy enough, good enough, righteous enough to be accepted by God.  We can only be in his righteousnes by faith, thus never achieving it of our own accord, but realising only He could attain it, and  allowing him to represent us before God.

Hope that helps.

Grace and Peace!

Amen bro!

Reba
« Reply #11 on: April 03, 2004, 12:00:48 AM »

Cults....

Only followers of  that group are saved
  Most often cults have  some goofy sex ideas
    (serpent seed teaching is good example)
  Women are demeaned, also girl children
   Quickly you see signs of "them and us"

Due to individual leadership, can a congregation of a certain denomination be a cult in one city but not a cult in another?
Yes but the group will withdraw when cornered.

ollie
Gold Member

Being born again, .....by the word of God,

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 03, 2004, 06:38:26 AM »

Main Entry: cult
Pronunciation: 'k&lt
Usage: often attributive
Etymology: French & Latin; French culte, from Latin cultus care, adoration, from colere to cultivate -- more at WHEEL
1 : formal religious veneration : WORSHIP
2 : a system of religious beliefs and ritual; also : its body of adherents
4 : a system for the cure of disease based on dogma set forth by its promulgator <health cults>
5 a : great devotion to a person, idea, object, movement, or work (as a film or book); especially : such devotion regarded as a literary or intellectual fad b : a usually small group of people characterized by such devotion
- cul·tic  /'k&l-tik/ adjective
- cult·ish  /-tish/ adjective
- cult·ish·ly  /-lE/ adverb
- cult·ish·ness  /-n&s/ noun
- cult·ism  /'k&l-"ti-z&m/ noun
- cult·ist  /'k&l-tist/ noun
- cult·like  /-"lIk/ adjective ***  

***- MERRIAM-WEBSTER ON LINE DICTIONARY

Entry Word: cult
Text: 1
Synonyms RELIGION 1, creed, faith, persuasion
Synonyms RELIGION 2, church, communion, connection, creed, denomination, faith, persuasion, sect ***

***- MERRIAM-WEBSTER ONLINE THESAURUS

« Last Edit: April 03, 2004, 06:39:53 AM by ollie » Logged

Support your local Christian.
davoarid

I'm a llama!

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 03, 2004, 09:01:15 PM »

Cults: Religions with fewer people. Grin

Here is the truth of each man's life: we must wait, and see his end, scrutinize his dying day, and refuse to call him happy till he has crossed the border of his life without pain.
BUTCHA

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 03, 2004, 09:20:57 PM »

c4u has his own private cult with at least 3 members.but i think theirs more members hideing in the shadows Grin
Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

More From ChristiansUnite...    About Us | Privacy Policy | | ChristiansUnite.com Site Map | Statement of Beliefs

Copyright © 1999-2019 ChristiansUnite.com. All rights reserved.
Please send your questions, comments, or bug reports to the