Webmasters
• Christian Guestbooks
• Banner Exchange
• Dynamic Content

Subscribe to our Free Newsletter.
Enter your email address:

ChristiansUnite
Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 18, 2024, 08:13:40 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Our Lord Jesus Christ loves you.
286798 Posts in 27568 Topics by 3790 Members
Latest Member: Goodwin
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  ChristiansUnite Forums
|-+  ChristiansUnite and Announcements
| |-+  ChristiansUnite and Announcements (Moderator: admin)
| | |-+  The Patriot Post - Alexander's Column 4-18-2018
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: The Patriot Post - Alexander's Column 4-18-2018  (Read 457 times)
nChrist
Global Moderator
Gold Member

May God Lead And Guide Us All

View Profile
« on: April 19, 2018, 12:33:43 AM »

The Patriot Post® · Patriots' Day and the Flags of Our Forefathers
By Mark Alexander · Apr. 18, 2018 · https://patriotpost.us/alexander/55436-patriots-day-and-the-flags-of-our-forefathers

“I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend.” —Thomas Jefferson (1800)

April 19th is Patriots’ Day1, commemorating the anniversary of that date in 1775 when American militiamen at Lexington and Concord fired the “Shot Heard ‘Round The World” — the opening volley of the American Revolution.

We hold this historic date in high esteem, along with those days commemorating the anniversaries of our Declaration of Independence, Constitution and its Bill of Rights. Indeed, our publication takes its name in honor of this first generation of American Patriots2 — and all those since. Unfortunately, Patriots’ Day receives little attention nationally, and even less in educational institutions, where our nation’s stirring and singular history is rarely taught to young people.

The most basic principles of American Liberty3 and Rule of Law4, and the generational sacrifices of millions of Americans who have honored their oaths “to support and defend5” Liberty’s enshrinement in our Constitution, are often not understood or appreciated by many young people — and too many adults.

So undervalued are our forbear’s historic sacrifices for Liberty that among the ranks of entrenched ideological leftists6 are those who view our nation’s flag with contempt. This is often combined with a deep insecurity-driven fear7 of the Liberty and self-determination it represents and, consequently, a loathing of those willing to defend it.

In our conservative East Tennessee community, the American flag is commonly displayed on houses and, to commemorate Memorial, Independence and Veterans Days each year, is attached to every power pole on the main thoroughfares.

Among the fixed residential flag poles in our community is a 20-foot standard in front of our house.

I installed that pole in June of 1994, on the 50th anniversary of D-Day — the beginning of the end of World War II. I erected it as a humble but fitting tribute to a neighbor, my father’s8 lifelong best friend and fellow WWII veteran. So close were these two men that we always referred to my father’s friend as “uncle.”

In 1944, my “uncle” was a young Army second lieutenant leading a machine gun platoon on the front lines of notable battles against Hitler’s Wehrmacht in France and Germany until the end of the war. On several occasions in urban combat, he killed the enemy in hand-to-hand combat. Though a strong and tough individual of formidable stature well into his 80s, he recounted those battles with great pain and occasional tears for the loss of life — on both sides.

He has since departed this life, but it’s for him — and for all who have defended Liberty at risk of their own life — that our flag flies high and proud.

Last month, our flag greeted a gathering of Vietnam combat veterans at our home, some of whom recently returned to that country to make their peace. It was an extraordinary evening, but punctuated by a question asked by one of those decorated veterans which sparked some antipathy.

That question: “Do some people object to your flag?”

It was the fifth time I’d been asked a similar question in recent months, and it stemmed from a plastic yard sign across the street from our flag that asserts, “Hate Has No Home Here” — in multiple languages. Some similar signs popped up in front of other community residences in response to the clash of haters9 in Charlottesville, Virginia, last summer.

Most of those signs disappeared after a month or so, though a few have remain.

Of course, there’s nothing inherently wrong with the message on that yard sign, other than such signs are the epitome of trendy “virtue signaling” and may be intended to project that the views of those posting them have higher moral authority and standing than those of their neighbors. Notably, the posting of yard signs and the application of bumper stickers is often the limit of “sacrifice” some well-intentioned folks undertake to change the world.

According to the Chicago-based activists who produce and market the signs, they’re needed because, “Hate, unchecked, can make neighbors feel fearful and unwelcome in their own communities. … It’s easy to hate people we don’t know.”

But what about the neighbors we do know?

My friend across the street indicated that his yard sign is aimed at “jingoistic flag-wavers” and all those deplorable people10 who did not support Hillary Clinton11.

The implications of that explanation notwithstanding, I genuinely like all our neighbors, regardless of their political affinities. I grew up in a home steeped in the principles set forth in the Greatest Commandments (Matthew 22:35-4012) and was taught early that there’s good to be found in just about everyone from any walk of life. As a result, I treasure relationships with many friends who hold a wide spectrum of beliefs. With my wife’s help, I avoid biting on cocktail political bait that runs contrary to the views I share with generations of Patriots who have devoted their lives to Liberty for all.

In application to some friends, Thomas Jefferson had it right: “I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend.”

Jefferson also advised, “Love your neighbor as yourself and your country more than yourself.”

When pondering the deeply held political beliefs of those who errantly embrace statism, I recall with a smile how kindly Ronald Reagan13 put it: “The trouble with our liberal friends is not that they’re ignorant; it’s just that they know so much that isn’t so.”

For the record, I don’t display yard signs to project political or social virtues, opting instead for action over imagery. However, over the years a few of my likeminded prankster friends have littered our yard with Obama and Clinton campaign signs — after dark. (I always send them security camera photos of their folly!)

But make no mistake: I’ll defend my neighbor’s right to post his yard sign.

For me, and for American Patriots nationwide, that defense is, in part, what our flag represents — and has embodied since the original 13-star Patriot flag was raised after those first shots fired at Lexington Green.

Thus, I’ll always fly our nation’s flag with due honor and pride, and lower it on occasion, as I did at sunrise today in memory of and respect for Barbara Bush14. Our flag reflects our gratitude for generations of Patriots who sacrificed their personal safety in defense of Liberty, and the innumerable and extraordinary personal sacrifices15 under that banner.

Semper Vigilans Fortis Paratus et Fidelis
Pro Deo et Libertate — 1776

Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

More From ChristiansUnite...    About Us | Privacy Policy | | ChristiansUnite.com Site Map | Statement of Beliefs

Copyright © 1999-2019 ChristiansUnite.com. All rights reserved.
Please send your questions, comments, or bug reports to the