Webmasters
• Christian Guestbooks
• Banner Exchange
• Dynamic Content

Subscribe to our Free Newsletter.
Enter your email address:

ChristiansUnite
Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 19, 2024, 05:10:39 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Our Lord Jesus Christ loves you.
286766 Posts in 27568 Topics by 3790 Members
Latest Member: Goodwin
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  ChristiansUnite Forums
|-+  Theology
| |-+  Bible Study (Moderator: admin)
| | |-+  JOHN 8:1-12 What Jesus Wrote on the ground
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: JOHN 8:1-12 What Jesus Wrote on the ground  (Read 2256 times)
Palmoni

To decide NOT to decide IS to decide!

View Profile
« on: March 01, 2004, 09:12:34 AM »

SmileyTOPIC OPEN TO ALL ...Before i give what i see as the most likely Biblical answer on this passage, i would like to see what YOUR understanding of it is. Check key words out like "water" & "light", as well as the time and place around this Passage, also what Feast was being observed.
« Last Edit: March 01, 2004, 09:44:55 AM by Palmoni » Logged

PALMONI [[ If what you believe is not worth dying for, then maybe it's not worth living for. ]]
Reba
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2004, 09:30:54 AM »

What ever those guys thought no one knew.
michael_legna
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2004, 09:58:06 AM »

The early Church taught that Jesus wrote the sins of the men on the ground and as each saw their sin they turned and fled convicted in their heart that they were not without sin themselves.

Matt 5:11  Blessed are ye when they shall revile you, and persecute you, and speak all that is evil against you, untruly, for my sake:
Palmoni

To decide NOT to decide IS to decide!

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2004, 10:18:55 AM »

:)Hello Michael. Tradition & Commentaries (though good as a reference) are NOT scripture. I believe that if something is mentioned in the Bible, it is there for a reason. There is a Biblical answer for most anything we read about in Gods Word. I read about & hear far to much speculation & assumption that is attested to be what the text of a given scripture is....E.g. : Elijah & the Chariot of fire; or Mark said to be the man who fled in the garden where Jesus was; or Pauls "thorn in the flesh" being an eye problem or other physical malady....etc.

PALMONI [[ If what you believe is not worth dying for, then maybe it's not worth living for. ]]
Petro
Gold Member

I'm a llama!

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2004, 02:58:28 PM »

palmoni,

The woman that was brought before Jesus, was caught in the very act of adultery(verse 4).

It was the scribes and Pharisees, that brought this woman to Him.

If they "caught her and the man in the very act" they didn't bring the man, which could very well have been one of them.

Here is the law, laid down by Moses;

Lev 20
10  And the man that committeth adultery with another man's wife, even he that committeth adultery with his neighbour's wife, the adulterer and the adulteress shall surely be put to death.

Deut 22
22  If a man be found lying with a woman married to an husband, then they shall both of them die, both the man that lay with the woman, and the woman: so shalt thou put away evil from Israel.

This passage of scripture at Jhn 8:1-12, right off the bat makes it clear these religious men, had no regard for the law, and I am sure that if they had, they would have taken up stones at the place and stoned them to death.

The scripture do not say it, but I speculate that one of these men who brought her to Jesus or perhaps even more than one of them, were also guilty of adultery, I have no idea what Jesus wrote on the ground, but what ever it was convicted their own conscience of their own sins, since begining with the eldest to the last they each went out leaving Jesus with the woman.

These fellows, who witnessed "the very act", were obliged by the law to stone both the man and woman caught in adultery, if my specualtion is true, they would have had to stone one another.

Would the scribes stone a Pharisee, or one of the elders?? this could very well explain why they walked away.

As I say this pure specualtion on my part, and just as viable as anyone who would say, Jesus wrote their names on the ground, or some other such thing.

Blesings,

Petro

Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

More From ChristiansUnite...    About Us | Privacy Policy | | ChristiansUnite.com Site Map | Statement of Beliefs

Copyright © 1999-2019 ChristiansUnite.com. All rights reserved.
Please send your questions, comments, or bug reports to the