Webmasters
• Christian Guestbooks
• Banner Exchange
• Dynamic Content

Subscribe to our Free Newsletter.
Enter your email address:

ChristiansUnite
Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 26, 2024, 04:29:33 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Our Lord Jesus Christ loves you.
286806 Posts in 27568 Topics by 3790 Members
Latest Member: Goodwin
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  ChristiansUnite Forums
|-+  Entertainment
| |-+  Music (Moderator: admin)
| | |-+  Christian Punk
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Christian Punk  (Read 2336 times)
romansRules

View Profile
« on: February 22, 2004, 06:15:33 PM »

Anyone out there into punk?

My absolute favourite band is Relient K (I suppose they are really pop-punk, but close enough), but I am also into Slick Shoes, Craig's Brother, Wishful Thinking, Rookie, Seraph's Coal, Antiskeptic and MxPx. Anyone else into this kind of music that can recommend some others like them? Perferrably ones with meaningful lyrics, can't stand the way some bands seem to forget that they are Christians when it comes to songwriting and just talk about nothing for 12 of the 14 tracks on their CDs...

In my B.C. days, I used to be right into Millencolin, Bodyjar, early Blink 182, early Unwritten Law, A New Found Glory... can anyone recommend Christian bands with similar sounds?

Oh, the depth of the riches of the wisdom and knowledge of God! How unsearchable his judgments, and his paths beyond tracing out! "Who has known the mind of the Lord?"...For from him and through him and to him are all things. To him be the glory forever! Amen.
-- Romans 11:33-36
Tibby
Gold Member

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2004, 09:07:12 PM »

As I retired my combat boots and chains a year ago, but I think I can recall a band or 2. Ghoti Hook is good. Squad 5-0 is good.

If they still make them, get your hand on “Songs from the Penalty Box.” It is a compilation of all the greatest Christian Punk. When I last checked ( a while ago) they where on volume 5. They may have more, or maybe you can pick up the old ones. Also, if it is still around, look into “Tooth & Nail” records. They are a Christian Punk, ska, and hardcore label.

P.S. If you are looking for "meaningful" lyrics, you are looking at the wrong STYLE, bro. The whole idea behind punk is that things need to be taken less seriously. Punk is immature and crazy by nature, it is just the style of music. You can’t play it and be deep and meaningful all the time.

Was there ever a time when Common sence was common?
romansRules

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2004, 10:28:28 PM »

P.S. If you are looking for "meaningful" lyrics, you are looking at the wrong STYLE, bro. The whole idea behind punk is that things need to be taken less seriously. Punk is immature and crazy by nature, it is just the style of music. You can’t play it and be deep and meaningful all the time.

Disagree. I agree that punk is immature and crazy, but it can definitely be used for meaningful messages. Im not expecting full albums of punk praise and worship, but fun, fast songs can still have a point. If you still enjoy the genre even a little bit, have a listen to Relient K's "The Anatmony Of The Tongue In Cheek". Pretty much every song on that album discusses some aspect of Christian living, and there are a few quality straight-up praise songs there too.

I am a big fan of ska, too - Insyderz albums "Skalleluia" and "Skalleluia II" as well as anything put out by the OC Supertones demonstrate how another light, boppy, fun style can be used in a meaningful way.

Thanks for your other help tho. Have got a couple of Tooth and Nail sampler CD's (they are now called "The Nail"), but I dont like to buy a whole album of a band I have only heard 1 song of.

Oh, the depth of the riches of the wisdom and knowledge of God! How unsearchable his judgments, and his paths beyond tracing out! "Who has known the mind of the Lord?"...For from him and through him and to him are all things. To him be the glory forever! Amen.
-- Romans 11:33-36
Sapphire W34P0N
Gold Member

We'll party like we're dead.

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2004, 04:47:09 PM »

Relient K SUCKS. My sister listens to them all the time and I absolutely cannot STAND them. Or MxPx.

But that's just me. I heard this one song by Slick Shoes and I thought it was pretty good. Unfortunately, I can't recall the name of it.
Tibby
Gold Member

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2004, 11:09:46 AM »

Relient K SUCKS.

And there lyrics are cheap. OC Supertones are ok, but they are more of a first wave mellow ska.Two-Tone ska, that is the good stuff.

You want REAL punk, invest in the Clash, the Sex Pistols, Dropkick Murhprys, Velvet underground, the Ramone's, etc.

Sapphire W34P0N
Gold Member

We'll party like we're dead.

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2004, 04:27:24 PM »

The Clash, definitely. The Ramones....Eh, I dunno.
Tibby
Gold Member

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2004, 04:56:45 PM »

As long as he stays off of the Emo, he should do fine.

Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

More From ChristiansUnite...    About Us | Privacy Policy | | ChristiansUnite.com Site Map | Statement of Beliefs

Copyright © 1999-2019 ChristiansUnite.com. All rights reserved.
Please send your questions, comments, or bug reports to the