Webmasters
• Christian Guestbooks
• Banner Exchange
• Dynamic Content

Subscribe to our Free Newsletter.
Enter your email address:

ChristiansUnite
Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 04:21:12 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Our Lord Jesus Christ loves you.
286799 Posts in 27568 Topics by 3790 Members
Latest Member: Goodwin
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  ChristiansUnite Forums
|-+  Theology
| |-+  Debate (Moderator: admin)
| | |-+  Acts 2:38 REMISSION
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Acts 2:38 REMISSION  (Read 2687 times)
Hugh-MANN

View Profile
« on: March 26, 2012, 04:49:41 AM »

Acts 2:38 (King James Version)

Then Peter said unto them,

Repent,

and be baptized every one of you in the name of Jesus Christ

for the remission of sins,

and ye shall receive the gift of the Holy Ghost.

Previously, I felt it necessary to put the discussion of Acts 2:38 vs Matt 28:19 on a back burner so that we could focus on the difference between Salvation, and being Born Again!

Now, I feel it is necessary to keep the discussion of Acts 2:38 vs Matt 28:19 on a back burner so that we could focus on the difference between Forgiveness and Remission!

Acts 2:38 (New Living Translation, Second Edition)

) Peter replied,

“Each of you must repent of your sins, turn to God, and be baptized in the name of Jesus Christ to show that you have received forgiveness for your sins. Then you will receive the gift of the Holy Spirit.

Several of the newer translations render the word as Forgiveness rather than Remission!

Greek Strong's Number: 859

Greek Word: ἄφεσις

Transliteration: aphesis

Phonetic Pronunciation:af'-es-is

Root: from <G863>

Cross Reference: TDNT - 1:50 9,88

Part of Speech: n f

Vine's Words: Deliver, Deliverance, Deliverer, Forgive, Forgave, Forgiveness, Liberty, Remission, Remit

Usage Notes:

English Words used in KJV:

remission 9
forgiveness 6
deliverance 1
liberty 1
[Total Count: 17]

from <G863> (aphiemi); freedom; (figurative) pardon :- deliverance, forgiveness, liberty, remission.

Strong's Talking Greek & Hebrew Dictionary.

In the Greek, Forgiveness and Remission  both have a common root, but in the English, their meanings are quite different!

Extracted fron American Heritage Dictionary and Thesarus

for·give (f…r-gΉv“, fτr-) v. for·gave (-głv“), for·giv·en (-gΉv“…n), for·giv·ing, for·gives. --tr. 1. To excuse for a fault or an offense; pardon. 2. To renounce anger or resentment against. 3. To absolve from payment of (a debt, for example). --intr. To accord forgiveness. --for·giv“a·ble adj. --for·giv“a·bly adv. --for·giv“er n.

1. (v.) To free from a charge or imputation of guilt:
   • absolve
    • acquit
    • cleanse
    • clear
    • exculpate
    • excuse
    • exonerate
    • pardon
    • purge (law)
    • vindicate
    • convict (antonym)

re·mit (rΉ-mΉt“) v. re·mit·ted, re·mit·ting, re·mits. --tr. 1. To transmit (money) in payment. 2.a. To refrain from exacting (a tax or penalty, for example); cancel. b. To pardon; forgive. 3. To restore to a former condition or position. 4. Law. a. To refer (a case) to another court for further consideration or action. b. To refer (a matter) to a committee or an authority for decision. 5. To allow to slacken. 6. To desist from; give up. 7. To put off; postpone. --intr. 1. To transmit money. 2. To diminish; abate. --re·mit (rΉ-mΉt“, r¶“mΉt) n. 1. The act of remitting, especially the referral of a case to another court. 2. A matter remitted for further consideration. --re·mit“ment n. --re·mit“ta·ble adj. --re·mit“ter n.

1. (v.) To reduce in tension, pressure, or rigidity:
    • slacken
    • let go
    • ease up
    • let up
    • loosen
    • mitigate
    • moderate
    • relax
    • slack
    • slack up on
    • go limp
    • soften
    • loose
    • ease off
    • tighten (antonym)
2. (v.) To put off until a later time:
    • postpone
    • defer
    • stonewall
    • adjourn
    • delay
    • hold off
    • hold over
    • hold up on
    • lay over
    • prorogue
    • put
    • put off
    • put on hold
    • put on ice (colloquial)
    • put over
    • respite
    • shelve
    • stay
    • table (US)

re·mis·sion (rΉ-mΉsh“…n) n. 1.a. The act of remitting. b. A condition or period in which something is remitted. 2. A lessening of intensity or degree; abatement. 3.a. Medicine. Abatement or subsiding of the symptoms of a disease. b. The period during which the symptoms of a disease abate or subside. 4.a. Release, as from a debt, a penalty, or an obligation. b. Forgiveness; pardon.

1. (n.) The act or an instance of forgiving:
    • forgiveness
    • absolution
    • clemency
    • mercy
    • amnesty
    • condonation
    • excuse
    • indulgence
    • overlooking
    • pardon
    • shrift (archaic)
    • unforgiveness (antonym)
    • condemnation (antonym)
2. (n.) A giving up of a possession, claim, or right:
    • relinquishment
    • abdication
    • abandonment
    • abjuration
    • cession
    • forgoing
    • renunciation
    • resignation
    • surrender
    • waiver
3. (n.) Temporary immunity from penalties:
    • reprieve
    • extension
    • freeze
    • grace
    • stay
    • suspension
4. (n.) The condition of being temporarily inactive:
    • dormancy
    • abeyance
    • intermission
    • latency
    • quiescence
    • suspension
    • idleness
    • activity (antonym)
    • movement (antonym)

Hugh-MANN

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2012, 04:57:36 AM »

The Total Package

D. Receive

D. 03. Remission

Forgiveness and Remission!

The same word in the Greek language, can be rendered Forgiveness, or it can be rendered

as Remission. Before we can establish any Sound Doctrines, we must frame every passage of

Scripture within it's proper Context! Before we can choose which of these two words is the best

rendering, we must consider the passage in it's Local Context, and also how it fits into the overall

theme of the Scriptures!

Forgiveness

It is in our Generosity, and Mercy, that we must forgive others, even as God, for Christ's

Sake has forgiven us! We could not afford the price of our own redemption, So Jesus paid it for

us!

Luke 23:34

Then said Jesus,

Father, forgive them;

for they know not what they do!
[/b][/color]

It was at this point in space and time, that The Redemption Price was paid for the whole

Human Race!

Yet the Application of that Price

must still be applied on an individual,

case by case basis!

The Blood of Jesus Christ,

is the Price of our Redemption!

Remission

The word "remit" in the English language, differs from the word "forgive!" To forgive

someone, we write off their debt, because of their inability to pay. The debt is as if it never

existed!

When we "remit" something,

we make a payment!

John 20:21-23

Then said Jesus to them again,

Peace be unto you:

as my Father hath sent me, even so send I you.

And when he had said this, he breathed on them,

and saith unto them, Receive ye the Holy Ghost:

Whose soever sins ye remit, they are remitted unto them;

and whose soever sins ye retain, they are retained.

Matthew 26:28

For this is my blood of the new testament,

which is shed for many for the remission of sins.

Mark 1:4

John did baptize in the wilderness,

and preach the baptism of repentance for the remission of sins.

Luke 1:77

To give knowledge of salvation unto his people

by the remission of their sins,

Luke 3:3

And he came into all the country about Jordan,

preaching the baptism of repentance for the remission of sins;

Luke 24:47

And that repentance and remission of sins

should be preached in his name

among all nations, beginning at Jerusalem.

Acts 2:38

Then Peter said unto them,

Repent,

and be baptized every one of you

in the name of Jesus Christ for the remission of sins,

and ye shall receive the gift of the Holy Ghost.

Acts:10:43

To him give all the prophets witness,

that through his name

whosoever believeth in him

shall receive remission of sins.

Romans 3:25

Whom God hath set forth to be a propitiation

through faith in his blood,

to declare his righteousness for the remission of sins that are past,

through the forbearance of God;

Hebrews 9:22

And almost all things are by the law purged with blood;

and without shedding of blood is no remission.
[/color]

Hebrews 10:18

Now where remission of these is,

there is no more offering for sin.
[/color]

Now let's tie all of this together!

* At the Cross, The Redemption Price was Paid, so that all men might be forgiven!

* The Shed Blood of Jesus Christ is the Purchase Price of Our Redemption!

* The Application of that Price, on an individual, case by case basis, is Remission!

* Jesus entrusted men, to act as his "Proxy" giving them the Power of Attorney, to act

in His Name, and on His behalf, to apply the Price of Redemption, upon, and unto

other men!

* The Blood is applied, In The Name, through Faith in the Name!

Acts 2:21

And it shall come to pass,

that whosoever shall call on the name of the Lord

shall be saved.

Acts 4:12

Neither is there salvation in any other:

for there is none other name under heaven given among men,

whereby we must be saved.

God, for Christ's sake has already forgiven us! Satan on the other hand is the Accuser of the

Brethren! He is the Prosecuting Attorney who demands Payment in Full! Moreover, He

demands that those who commit the Crime, be the ones who do the Time! As God balances the

Scales of Justice, there is a Grave outside of Jerusalem where God shows Satan where we were

Buried with Jesus!

Moreover, there is also a Watery Grave,

where Jesus was Resurrected within us!

Hugh-MANN

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2012, 05:01:34 AM »

Remit

Jn:20:23: Whose soever sins ye remit, they are remitted unto them; and whose soever sins ye retain, they are

retained.

Remission

Mt:26:28: For this is my blood of the new testament, which is shed for many for the remission of sins.

Mk:1:4: John did baptize in the wilderness, and preach the baptism of repentance for the remission of sins.

Lk:1:77: To give knowledge of salvation unto his people by the remission of their sins,

Lk:3:3: And he came into all the country about Jordan, preaching the baptism of repentance for the remission

of sins;

Lk:24:47: And that repentance and remission of sins should be preached in his name among all nations,

beginning at Jerusalem.

Acts:2:38: Then Peter said unto them, Repent, and be baptized every one of you in the name of Jesus Christ

for the remission of sins, and ye shall receive the gift of the Holy Ghost.

Acts:10:43: To him give all the prophets witness, that through his name whosoever believeth in him shall

receive remission of sins.

Rom:3:25: Whom God hath set forth to be a propitiation through faith in his blood, to declare his

righteousness for the remission of sins that are past, through the forbearance of God;

Heb:9:22: And almost all things are by the law purged with blood; and without shedding of blood is no

remission.

Heb:10:18: Now where remission of these is, there is no more offering for sin.

Forgive

Mt:6:12: And forgive us our debts, as we forgive our debtors.

Mt:6:14: For if ye forgive men their trespasses, your heavenly Father will also forgive you:

Mt:6:15: But if ye forgive not men their trespasses, neither will your Father forgive your trespasses.

Mt:9:6: But that ye may know that the Son of man hath power on earth to forgive sins, (then saith he to the

sick of the palsy,) Arise, take up thy bed, and go unto thine house.

Mt:18:21: Then came Peter to him, and said, Lord, how oft shall my brother sin against me, and I forgive

him? till seven times?

Mt:18:35: So likewise shall my heavenly Father do also unto you, if ye from your hearts forgive not every

one his brother their trespasses.

Mk:2:7: Why doth this man thus speak blasphemies? who can forgive sins but God only?

Mk:2:10: But that ye may know that the Son of man hath power on earth to forgive sins, (he saith to the sick

of the palsy,)

Mk:11:25: And when ye stand praying, forgive, if ye have ought against any: that your Father also which is

in heaven may forgive you your trespasses.

Mk:11:26: But if ye do not forgive, neither will your Father which is in heaven forgive your trespasses.

Lk:5:21: And the scribes and the Pharisees began to reason, saying, Who is this which speaketh blasphemies?

Who can forgive sins, but God alone?

Lk:5:24: But that ye may know that the Son of man hath power upon earth to forgive sins, (he said unto the

sick of the palsy,) I say unto thee, Arise, and take up thy couch, and go into thine house.

Lk:6:37: Judge not, and ye shall not be judged: condemn not, and ye shall not be condemned: forgive, and ye

shall be forgiven:

Lk:11:4: And forgive us our sins; for we also forgive every one that is indebted to us. And lead us not into

temptation; but deliver us from evil.

Lk:17:3: Take heed to yourselves: If thy brother trespass against thee, rebuke him; and if he repent, forgive

him.

Lk:17:4: And if he trespass against thee seven times in a day, and seven times in a day turn again to thee,

saying, I repent; thou shalt forgive him.

Lk:23:34: Then said Jesus, Father, forgive them; for they know not what they do. And they parted his

raiment, and cast lots.

2Cor:2:7: So that contrariwise ye ought rather to forgive him, and comfort him, lest perhaps such a one

should be swallowed up with overmuch sorrow.

2Cor:2:10: To whom ye forgive any thing, I forgive also: for if I forgave any thing, to whom I forgave it, for

your sakes forgave I it in the person of Christ;

2Cor:12:13: For what is it wherein ye were inferior to other churches, except it be that I myself was not

burdensome to you? forgive me this wrong.

1Jn:1:9: If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just to forgive us our sins, and to cleanse us from all

unrighteousness.

forgiven

Mt:9:2: And, behold, they brought to him a man sick of the palsy, lying on a bed: and Jesus seeing their faith

said unto the sick of the palsy; Son, be of good cheer; thy sins be forgiven thee.

Mt:9:5: For whether is easier, to say, Thy sins be forgiven thee; or to say, Arise, and walk?

Mt:12:31: Wherefore I say unto you, All manner of sin and blasphemy shall be forgiven unto men: but the

blasphemy against the Holy Ghost shall not be forgiven unto men.

Mt:12:32: And whosoever speaketh a word against the Son of man, it shall be forgiven him: but whosoever

speaketh against the Holy Ghost, it shall not be forgiven him, neither in this world, neither in the world to

come.

Mk:2:5: When Jesus saw their faith, he said unto the sick of the palsy, Son, thy sins be forgiven thee.

Mk:2:9: Whether is it easier to say to the sick of the palsy, Thy sins be forgiven thee; or to say, Arise, and

take up thy bed, and walk?

Mk:3:28: Verily I say unto you, All sins shall be forgiven unto the sons of men, and blasphemies wherewith

soever they shall blaspheme:

Mk:4:12: That seeing they may see, and not perceive; and hearing they may hear, and not understand; lest at

any time they should be converted, and their sins should be forgiven them.

Lk:5:20: And when he saw their faith, he said unto him, Man, thy sins are forgiven thee.

Lk:5:23: Whether is easier, to say, Thy sins be forgiven thee; or to say, Rise up and walk?

Lk:6:37: Judge not, and ye shall not be judged: condemn not, and ye shall not be condemned: forgive, and ye

shall be forgiven:

Lk:7:47: Wherefore I say unto thee, Her sins, which are many, are forgiven; for she loved much: but to whom

little is forgiven, the same loveth little.

Lk:7:48: And he said unto her, Thy sins are forgiven.

Lk:12:10: And whosoever shall speak a word against the Son of man, it shall be forgiven him: but unto him

that blasphemeth against the Holy Ghost it shall not be forgiven.

Acts:8:22: Repent therefore of this thy wickedness, and pray God, if perhaps the thought of thine heart may

be forgiven thee.

Rom:4:7: Saying, Blessed are they whose iniquities are forgiven, and whose sins are covered.

Eph:4:32: And be ye kind one to another, tenderhearted, forgiving one another, even as God for Christ's sake

hath forgiven you.

Col:2:13: And you, being dead in your sins and the uncircumcision of your flesh, hath he quickened together

with him, having forgiven you all trespasses;

Jms:5:15: And the prayer of faith shall save the sick, and the Lord shall raise him up; and if he have

committed sins, they shall be forgiven him.

1Jn:2:12: I write unto you, little children, because your sins are forgiven you for his name's sake.

forgiveness

Mk:3:29: But he that shall blaspheme against the Holy Ghost hath never forgiveness, but is in danger of

eternal damnation:

Acts:5:31: Him hath God exalted with his right hand to be a Prince and a Saviour, for to give repentance to

Israel, and forgiveness of sins.

Acts:13:38: Be it known unto you therefore, men and brethren, that through this man is preached unto you

the forgiveness of sins:

Acts:26:18: To open their eyes, and to turn them from darkness to light, and from the power of Satan unto

God, that they may receive forgiveness of sins, and inheritance among them which are sanctified by faith that

is in me.

Eph:1:7: In whom we have redemption through his blood, the forgiveness of sins, according to the riches of

his grace;

Col:1:14: In whom we have redemption through his blood, even the forgiveness of sins:

Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

More From ChristiansUnite...    About Us | Privacy Policy | | ChristiansUnite.com Site Map | Statement of Beliefs

Copyright © 1999-2019 ChristiansUnite.com. All rights reserved.
Please send your questions, comments, or bug reports to the