Webmasters
• Christian Guestbooks
• Banner Exchange
• Dynamic Content

Subscribe to our Free Newsletter.
Enter your email address:

ChristiansUnite
Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 01:20:45 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Our Lord Jesus Christ loves you.
286776 Posts in 27568 Topics by 3790 Members
Latest Member: Goodwin
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  ChristiansUnite Forums
|-+  Theology
| |-+  Bible Prescription Shop
| | |-+  I Think of Jesus!
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: I Think of Jesus!  (Read 554 times)
nChrist
Global Moderator
Gold Member

May God Lead And Guide Us All

View Profile
« on: September 09, 2011, 06:21:01 PM »

I Think of Jesus!
From Timeless Grace Gems
James Smith, 1859

A poor woman, who was generally cheerful, though deeply tried — was asked what she found to be the best antidote for the troubles of life, and she replied, "I think of Jesus!" There can be no doubt — but thinking of Jesus will sanctify the mind, and devote it to God; and will strengthen the heart, under heavy crosses and losses.

Thinking over our troubles only adds to their weight — and dwelling upon our trials, only gives them a sting. The best way is to look away from them — and I know of no object upon which the mind can be fixed with so much profit, as Jesus. Let us, therefore, lay aside every weight, and the sin that does so easily beset us, and run with patience the race that is set before us — looking unto Jesus. Looking to Jesus will . . .
        lighten our load,
        disperse the gloom that gathers over the mind,
        and produce fortitude and patience.

Are you poor? Is your dwelling lowly, your fare coarse, and your privations many? Think of Jesus, for he was poorer than you are! He was homeless. He suffered from hunger and thirst, from weariness and cold. He would have been glad for a fig for breakfast in the morning, and a drink of water at noon to slake his thirst — but knew what it was to be denied them. He could say, "The foxes have holes, and the birds of the air have nests — but the Son of man has nowhere to lay his head."

Are you tried by your relations? Think of Jesus, for so was he. His brethren did not believe on him. They said of him, "He is out of his mind!" Jesus found little sympathy in those most nearly related to him; therefore it is written, "He came unto his own — and his own received him not." A new birth was necessary to reconcile them to Jesus, and a new birth may be required to reconcile your relatives to you.

Are you suffering much from sorrow and pain? Think of Jesus, for he was a man of sorrows, and the daily companion of grief. He could well say, "Behold and see if there is any sorrow like unto my sorrow, which is done unto me, with which the Lord has afflicted me in the day of his fierce anger." Your sufferings are not worth a thought — when once compared with his. And then his sufferings were for your sins, to extract all the curse out of what you endure — and to turn the curse into a blessing for you. Jesus suffered both in body and soul. The sufferings of Jesus were inflicted by Heaven, earth, and Hell. He suffered without sympathy, without any human alleviations, and endured the worst alone.

Are you drawing near to death? Think of Jesus, he died for you, that you may never die. To you, as a believer in Jesus, death has lost its sting. The very nature of death is changed. It is no longer a penal evil. It is not a debt of nature, or a debt to divine justice — but a merciful arrangement of our gracious God, that we should fall asleep in Jesus, and forget all our troubles, trials, and woes. Besides which, "absent from the body, we are present with the Lord." To depart and be with Christ — is best of all. Do not then, fear to die — for Jesus stands by your dying pillow to support and comfort you. He will guide you through the dark valley, and then receive you to glory.

Think of Jesus then, for it will enable you . . .
        to bear poverty,
        to endure trials,
        to suffer pain,
        and to die in peace.

O may the last thought I have on earth — be a thought of Jesus!

PUBLIC DOMAIN - Permission is not required to reproduce this material. Feel free to forward this on to your friends.

Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

More From ChristiansUnite...    About Us | Privacy Policy | | ChristiansUnite.com Site Map | Statement of Beliefs

Copyright © 1999-2019 ChristiansUnite.com. All rights reserved.
Please send your questions, comments, or bug reports to the