Webmasters
• Christian Guestbooks
• Banner Exchange
• Dynamic Content

Subscribe to our Free Newsletter.
Enter your email address:

ChristiansUnite
Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 12:42:48 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Our Lord Jesus Christ loves you.
286798 Posts in 27568 Topics by 3790 Members
Latest Member: Goodwin
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  ChristiansUnite Forums
|-+  Prayer
| |-+  General Discussion (Moderator: admin)
| | |-+  Sleep?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Sleep?  (Read 1757 times)
Willowbirch
Gold Member

He is risen! - He is risen indeed.

View Profile
« on: February 15, 2004, 04:55:05 PM »

I just realized something about myself...
I have some odd habits that are so programmed into my brain that I can barely control them.

I have read and heard several sermons on "sleeping in church" (go ahead, laugh.) The fellow with his eyes closed and his mouth open, leaning sideways, while the pastor is trying to speak. Poor guy; he must be tired from a long work week, and can't stay awake if he must be still for so long.

But those pastors sure seem ticked sometimes. They work hard to prepare a holy feast for their congregation, and somebody just fell asleep in front of the casserole! But it isn't sin, of course. Sleeping during the sermon is something any church-goer might do now and then. A million things could be the cause of a little nap attack.

Then I began to look on my own past, and found something very startling.

For months, I have not heard more than a paragraph of any sermon I've attended. I blamed it on six mornings a week of before-the-sun business. And of course, I always stay up too late on Saturday nights, don't I? My body can't be to blame. Its just trying to catch up on necessary shut-eye.

For weeks, lately, I've set my mind to getting as much rest as possible, and retiring at a very decent hour before Sunday. And for weeks I have been overwhelmed by a sudden wave of sleep the moment the song service ended and the pastor set one foot on toward the podium. And I've come to the conclusion that somehow, I've taught my body that sermons are meant for sleep; as soon as the message is over, I'm miraculously wide awake.

I actually listened to a sermon this morning. The whole sermon. I had to fight my body constantly, and for a little while I could only keep one eye open. But I made it! And now I want to know what you folks think: Is sleeping in church something we must do, or something our bodies are trained to do? And if we've incorporated such a habit into our chemistry, does it become sin for us?

"Man dreams and desires; God broods, and wills, and quickens."
Reba
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2004, 05:47:11 PM »

Dad was a pastor..... He worked 'in the woods' also (tree falling).. A member of the church, JC, and yes JC was his name, was working the mill the swing shift. Jc still was in church Sunday morning.  Smiley Dad was a joker The sermon was something about Noah and the ark.  Well Dad noticed Jc had fallen  asleep again not being the kind of guy to let such a great chance go bye.... There was this door  just a few feet from the pulpit... He was talking about when God SHUT the door of the ark  yup you got it  Dad slammed that ol door Jc jumped up and shouted AMEN we all busted up .... Never to  forget that GOd shut that door.
Tibby
Gold Member

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2004, 06:40:57 PM »

Have you considered coffee? I’m drinking my 6th cup today. Most churches I've been to has a pot brewing in the back. Go for it!

Was there ever a time when Common sence was common?
Reba
« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2004, 06:52:18 PM »

No caffeine while your in training Angry
Tibby
Gold Member

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2004, 07:13:37 PM »

Training? Smiley

Reba
« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2004, 07:40:27 PM »

quote from Tibby
As some you know, I quit Boxing a few years ago because I injury my neck on a heavyweights fist . Well, my University has just started one, and I’m now signed up. I need pray that it will all comeback to me, and that I remember to say a away from sparring with heavyweights, and that my spinal problems don’t feel like visiting me again. And that is doesn’t interfere with my studies, too.

Just pray for Chris’s Boxing, Jesus will know what you mean.  
« Last Edit: February 16, 2004, 12:38:10 AM by Reba » Logged
JudgeNot
Gold Member

Jesus, remember me... Luke 23:42

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2004, 11:03:51 PM »

Elmoak - er... Willowbirch!  Grin

At my church we have 30 minutes of standup-everyone-singing-high-energy praise, followed by at least an hour of incredibly dynamic teaching by our pastor.  It would be impossible to sleep!

I guess my point (question?) is (please don't get angry just asking) are you sure you are in the right Church for you?Huh

(Just a thought.)

I'll pray for your "wakefullness"!!

JN

Covering your tracks is futile; God knows where you're going and where you've been.
JPD
Symphony
Gold Member

I'm a llama!

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 15, 2004, 11:45:16 PM »

Oh, that's right, JN, just go ahead and blame it on the minister.  That's rich.  Really rich.   Roll Eyes

Grin

Have you considered coffee

Butta bing, butta boom! (drum roll, cymbal crash).   Lips Sealed   Wink

Whew.  This forum is getting, um, *curiouser, and curiouser*.

Lips Sealed

Reba, um, boxing??

Um, I thot you wuz a grandmother ??

Huh
ebia
Gold Member

umm

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 16, 2004, 12:30:05 AM »

if your minister's sermons are so boring you want to sleep then go for it - maybe he'll take the hint if your snore loud enough

"You shall know the truth, the truth shall set you free.

Christ doesn't need lies or censorship.
Willowbirch
Gold Member

He is risen! - He is risen indeed.

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 16, 2004, 05:46:49 AM »

Elmoak - er... Willowbirch!  Grin

At my church we have 30 minutes of standup-everyone-singing-high-energy praise, followed by at least an hour of incredibly dynamic teaching by our pastor.  It would be impossible to sleep!

Um...this is exactly what our church is like...and I sleep anyway.  Tongue

JudgeNot: I love the people at our church, and the pastor preaches solid truth. There is almost no contention here; I don't even think we have a church gossip, just a prayer chain. In all, it is a wonderful, Godly (and friendly!) place to be...so, I would say it is the "right church".

Loved the posts, folks. They were really funny! And yes, Tibby, there is coffee at our church - and cocoa, and cappucino mix, and tea...plus flavored creamers...

I posted this thread because I found myself in a battle I had been unconsciously (no, not a pun - but groan anyway) losing for some time. I believe now that I was in sin, by allowing this to happen. Not that I think all church naps are evil; but in my case, it was a chronic pattern, one that is going to be very hard to break. I have been refusing to listen to the word of God from one of His shepherds for a long time. I notice that it is also rare for me to listen to a sermon on the radio; I am usually more interested in entertainment. I will try to be more moderate - to enjoy the music (in church, and on the radio) but not to the extent that I exclude good teaching. I want to grow in Christ, by learning to hear His word from His teachers.

"Man dreams and desires; God broods, and wills, and quickens."
JudgeNot
Gold Member

Jesus, remember me... Luke 23:42

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: February 16, 2004, 10:37:19 AM »

JudgeNot: I love the people at our church, and the pastor preaches solid truth. There is almost no contention here; I don't even think we have a church gossip, just a prayer chain. In all, it is a wonderful, Godly (and friendly!) place to be...so, I would say it is the "right church".

OK, Willow - just checking.  Smiley

Coffee it is then! Lots and lots of coffee - with lots of sugar!

Covering your tracks is futile; God knows where you're going and where you've been.
JPD
Reba
« Reply #11 on: February 16, 2004, 10:45:38 AM »

Eccl 3:1-8

3:1 To every thing there is a season, and a time to every purpose under the heaven:

2 A time to be born, and a time to die; a time to plant, and a time to pluck up that which is planted;

3 A time to kill, and a time to heal; a time to break down, and a time to build up;

4 A time to weep, and a time to laugh; a time to mourn, and a time to dance;

5 A time to cast away stones, and a time to gather stones together; a time to embrace, and a time to refrain from embracing;

6 A time to get, and a time to lose; a time to keep, and a time to cast away;

7 A time to rend, and a time to sew; a time to keep silence, and a time to speak;

8 A time to love, and a time to hate; a time of war, and a time of peace.
Tibby
Gold Member

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: February 16, 2004, 05:05:56 PM »

quote from Tibby
As some you know, I quit Boxing a few years ago because I injury my neck on a heavyweights fist . Well, my University has just started one, and I’m now signed up. I need pray that it will all comeback to me, and that I remember to say a away from sparring with heavyweights, and that my spinal problems don’t feel like visiting me again. And that is doesn’t interfere with my studies, too.

Just pray for Chris’s Boxing, Jesus will know what you mean.  

I'm not doing it this semester Cry School is my prime goal. More important then any of my Martial Arts Cry Or my music Cry Or anythign else Cry Speaking of which, I need to go study for the Psych test on Wensday... Grin

Reba
« Reply #13 on: February 16, 2004, 05:21:13 PM »

The fight game is too full of trash anymore. George Forman was the last real man too box. I rememeber him from Mexico City 1968. He was a hero to me then and still is.  

.....back on topic.....      

Tibby
Gold Member

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: February 16, 2004, 07:11:36 PM »

Amen to that. It is a joke. Women's boxing has only made it worst.  Sad Street whores and cocktails girls, and 2 former-Pro's daughters. I remimber in one match I was watching, the fighters mother-in-law took her place at the last minute!!!!!!!

Sports are just going down hill. All the focus on strength, no smarts. Steroids out of controll. Pro becoming pro's because of their marketablity. It's enough to make a grown man cry. Cry Cry Cry Cry Cry Cry Cry Cry Cry Cry Cry Cry Cry Cry Cry Cry Cry Cry Cry Cry Cry Cry Cry Cry Cry Cry Cry Cry Cry Cry Cry Cry Cry Cry Cry Cry Cry Cry Cry Cry Cry

Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

More From ChristiansUnite...    About Us | Privacy Policy | | ChristiansUnite.com Site Map | Statement of Beliefs

Copyright © 1999-2019 ChristiansUnite.com. All rights reserved.
Please send your questions, comments, or bug reports to the