Webmasters
• Christian Guestbooks
• Banner Exchange
• Dynamic Content

Subscribe to our Free Newsletter.
Enter your email address:

ChristiansUnite
Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 05:16:37 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Our Lord Jesus Christ loves you.
286776 Posts in 27568 Topics by 3790 Members
Latest Member: Goodwin
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  ChristiansUnite Forums
|-+  Welcome
| |-+  About You! (Moderator: admin)
| | |-+  Hi
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Hi  (Read 5946 times)
DGB454

View Profile
Hi
« on: July 31, 2011, 12:49:38 PM »

My name is Dave. This is my first time to this site. I found it through a Google add on.
I am 52 yrs old. I have a 19 yr old son in college and living with me.  I have been a Christian
for most of my adult life. I would like to tell you I'm happily married but unfortunalely I can't. My wife of 21
years just informed me a week ago she is leaving me and moving to the other side
of the country.  So even though I assumed we were good I guess I must have missed the signs.
Love is blind??? 

Anyway. I hope to be able to contribute to the community as well as draw some strength from you.

Thanks
Dave
nChrist
Global Moderator
Gold Member

May God Lead And Guide Us All

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2011, 04:24:09 PM »

Hello Dave,

WELCOME!

I'm very sorry to hear about your recent problems with your marriage. You and your family will be in my prayers. I don't know how personal you want to get, but have you considered Christian counseling or other outside help? Maybe the best question I could ask is do you want to talk about this? I'm not a counselor, but I was a police officer for 25 years and dealt with marriage problems frequently.

Love In Christ,
Tom

DGB454

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2011, 05:33:54 PM »

Tom,

Thanks for the welcome.

I believe most of our issues stem from my wife being Bi-Polar. We have been to counseling a few years back and got
her on medication. Things smoothed out quite a bit for a while. She has gone off the meds and refuses to admit she still needs them. About a year ago she began drinking again. (the worse thing you can do when Bi-Polar) .

To make a long story short. She has no interest in further counseling and won't listen when tell her we can still salvage us.   I have decided to hand it over to God. At the moment I can only pray she comes to know Christ in a real way with or without me.

Thanks again.
Dave
nChrist
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2011, 05:54:27 PM »

Hello Dave,

I can understand how difficult a problem like this would be without your wife's cooperation or even desire to try.

Quote from: DGB454
I have decided to hand it over to God. At the moment I can only pray she comes to know Christ in a real way with or without me.

Sadly, this may be the only answer. Drinking on top of refusal to take her medication would make things worse than just difficult. Just one of these alone would be a significant challenge, and she would have to be willing to accept help. It appears that the best thing I can do is to pray for you and your family. God still does as He pleases in heaven and on earth. In the meantime - KEEP LOOKING UP!

Love In Christ,
Tom

Soldier4Christ
Global Moderator
Gold Member

One Nation Under God

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2011, 11:18:30 PM »

Hello Dave and welcome to the forum.

I am also sorry to hear of your problems and my prayers will be with you all in this.

Joh 9:4  I must work the works of him that sent me, while it is day: the night cometh, when no man can work.
DGB454

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2011, 01:42:01 PM »

Is it wrong to be tired of blaming myself for a marraige falling apart? Is it wrong to be tired of feeling like I'm  the only one for the past 15 years who tried to keep this marraige together and tried to keep things normal for my son?
Is it wrong to be angry at my wife (who is Bi Polar) for doing so many hurtful things to me and my son and insisted it was partly my fault because I was holding back my affection from her?  How do I get her to understand that I was tired of being betrayed and hid my emotions to keep from being hurt again? How do I get her to understand that I felt like the only adult in this relationship most of the time?

How do I stop loving the part of her I see when she isn't under the effects of her disease? How do I stop hating the part of her that couldn't care less about anyone else but herself when the manic part of her shows up?.That's the part of her I see more and more the past 2 years. How do I stop being afraid for her if she  gives into her disease?

Is it wrong to want this marraige to end?  Am I stupid for still seeing the good in her and still being in love with that part of her? I wish we could go back to a time before the Bi Polar showed up. I wish she would remember how great it was then and understand why I fought so hard for so long to make this work.

I'm not expecting any answers. I'm just confused and needed to vent I guess. Maybe this isn't the best part of the Forum to get into this stuff.  If that's the case please feel free to move it to the proper area. 
Thanks
Soldier4Christ
Global Moderator
Gold Member

One Nation Under God

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 06, 2011, 02:17:03 PM »

This part of the forum is called 'About You' and basically that is what your post is all about, you your son and wife, so it is fine here.

I can understand the need to vent. Something like this can be very frustrating. Especially so when the answers aren't coming easy or they are ones that we really don't want to have to face.

I will be praying that you will find the peace that you need even if you don't get the answers.

Joh 9:4  I must work the works of him that sent me, while it is day: the night cometh, when no man can work.
nChrist
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 06, 2011, 04:00:10 PM »

Dave,

I agree with what Soldier4Christ told you. You can't blame yourself for many things that you have no control over. Example: you can't force her back on her medication or counseling. Nobody can force her to take her medication unless she becomes a danger to herself and others and is committed to a mental facility. Even then, most facilities stabilize someone with medication and release them.

Otherwise, she is an adult with rights and can do the things that are causing you such heartache. She can go to the other side of the country if she has the means to do so. I don't know what her financial condition is or if she works. You are also an adult, so there are many things that you can't be forced to do unless you are given a proper hearing before a judge. The best advice I can give you right now is to do things carefully and prayerfully for all involved - certainly including your children. It doesn't sound like anything will be easy in any direction you go. In the meantime, just know that you and your family will be in my prayers. You are most welcome to vent here, and we will do the best we can to give you support as brothers and sisters in Christ.

Love In Christ,
Tom

Jon-Marc

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 06, 2011, 04:29:40 PM »

Welcome to the Christians Unite forums, Dave. Having gone through two divorces, I know the pain you must be feeling. I hope you can find some comfort here.

Secure in Christ--Holy Spirit in me.
DGB454

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 14, 2011, 12:21:57 AM »

Thanks everyone.
What a rollercoaster ride the last week. Things are starting to level off.  Now the countdown begins I guess.
Nothing to do now but give it to God and pray she will be OK once she leaves on Oct 10th.
nChrist
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 14, 2011, 12:48:37 AM »

Thanks everyone.
What a rollercoaster ride the last week. Things are starting to level off.  Now the countdown begins I guess.
Nothing to do now but give it to God and pray she will be OK once she leaves on Oct 10th.

I deleted my previous message. I'm sorry - I'm half asleep and didn't realize. That's what I get for making too many posts in one day. Can I assume that there's been no progress at all?

DGB454

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 14, 2011, 09:59:44 AM »

No Progress. She is determined to go. I seem to be more at peace with the thought of her leaving.  I imagine as the date gets closer I will get a bit of anxiety over it but I will be OK as will my son.
DGB454

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 31, 2011, 07:08:57 AM »

Well I found out on Monday there is another guy in the picture. I guess I should have known. I will continue to try and make things as easy as possible for both of us for her departure. 

Keep giving it to God but sometimes it feels like he isn't listening. I know he is though.
nChrist
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 31, 2011, 01:59:33 PM »

Well I found out on Monday there is another guy in the picture. I guess I should have known. I will continue to try and make things as easy as possible for both of us for her departure. 

Keep giving it to God but sometimes it feels like he isn't listening. I know he is though.

You're right - God is listening. I was just thinking that the existence of another guy in the picture should show you that it's over - you've done all that you can. I also think that you're doing right to make things as easy as possible for all involved. You and your family will remain in my thoughts and prayers.

Romans 8:24-28  For in hope were we saved: but hope that is seen is not hope: for who hopeth for that which he seeth?  25  But if we hope for that which we see not, then do we with patience wait for it.  26  And in like manner the Spirit also helpeth our infirmity: for we know not how to pray as we ought; but the Spirit himself maketh intercession for us with groanings which cannot be uttered;  27  and he that searcheth the hearts knoweth what is the mind of the Spirit, because he maketh intercession for the saints according to the will of God.  28  And we know that to them that love God all things work together for good, even to them that are called according to his purpose.

Love In Christ,
Tom

DGB454

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 04, 2011, 10:23:34 PM »

Thanks Tom.

Yeah I guess I khew it was over before. I blamed myself quite a bit for a while then moved on to blaming her.
I'm trying to get a handle on the whole thing now. Emotions are like a roller coaster right now and I'm hardly sleeping. I know that will pass in time. I am reading a good book right now that has shed some light on what
I'm going through. It's by a Christian couple that have been where I am now. One thing I learned is that
she is the one taking the easy way out (doing the immature thing) instead of doing the hard thing staying around and working on it. Somehow that makes me feel better. I know I had a part in it but at least I never quit.

Anyway.... Small steps now..I will be be Ok in time. When I come out the on other side I can only hope
it will bring glory to God.
Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

More From ChristiansUnite...    About Us | Privacy Policy | | ChristiansUnite.com Site Map | Statement of Beliefs

Copyright © 1999-2019 ChristiansUnite.com. All rights reserved.
Please send your questions, comments, or bug reports to the