Webmasters
• Christian Guestbooks
• Banner Exchange
• Dynamic Content

Subscribe to our Free Newsletter.
Enter your email address:

ChristiansUnite
Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 20, 2024, 07:35:15 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Our Lord Jesus Christ loves you.
286799 Posts in 27568 Topics by 3790 Members
Latest Member: Goodwin
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  ChristiansUnite Forums
|-+  Theology
| |-+  Bible Prescription Shop
| | |-+  Gathered Flowers From a Bible Class
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Gathered Flowers From a Bible Class  (Read 1758 times)
nChrist
Global Moderator
Gold Member

May God Lead And Guide Us All

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: November 09, 2010, 03:14:13 PM »

Gathered Flowers From a Bible Class
Being a Brief Memoir of Two Young Believers
From Timeless Grace Gems
Octavius Winslow, April 1849

You have, perhaps, hitherto been baffled and confounded in your attempts to understand the Scriptures. Observing this, Satan has secretly insinuated doubts of the divine inspiration of some parts of the sacred Word. He has suggested that so much that was seemingly contradictory and profoundly mysterious, and hard to be understood — could not have originated with Him whose wisdom would constrain Him to give a true, and whose benevolence would prompt Him to give a clear, revelation of Himself, His mind and will, to man.

But pause and reflect upon the precipice on which you stand! Ponder the steps by which you have been conducted to its fearful brink! Have you not come to the study of God's Word as to a mere human production? Instead of humbly bringing the Word to the teaching of the Spirit — have you not proudly brought it to your reason? Have you not attempted to fathom the fathomless, to measure the illimitable, to know what God has not made known, to comprehend what He has not revealed, even hidden purposes and mysterious modes, which must ever remain concealed in His own infinite mind, forgetting that "secret things belong to God!"

Trace, then, your embarrassment and difficulty in understanding the sacred Word to its real cause, and see if it may not be found to exist in a secret pride of intellect, and in a consequent restraining of prayer for the direct teaching of the Holy Spirit. Oh, let our fervent petition from this moment be, "Teach me, O Lord! You who alone teaches to profit! Open mine eyes — that I may behold wondrous things out of Your law! Waiting upon You, Eternal, enlightening Spirit — would I daily be found seeking as a little child, as an humble learner, that 'anointing which teaches of all things.'"

"Come, blessed Spirit, source of light,
        Whose power and grace are unconfined.
        Dispel the gloomy shades of night,
        The thicker darkness of the mind.

"To my illumined eyes display
        The glorious truths Your Word reveals:
        Cause me to run the heavenly way,
        The book unfold, and loose the seals.

"Your inward teachings make me know,
        The mysteries of redeeming love;
        The emptiness of things below,
        The excellence of things above.

"While through this wilderness I stray,
        Spread, like the sun, Your beams abroad.
        To show the dangers of the way,
        And guide my feeble steps to God."

Doubtless the question of the eunuch, has often expressed the embarrassment you have felt, as a learner of the sacred Word — "How can I understand, unless someone explains it to me?" That Teacher is God's own Spirit. There is no darkness which He cannot scatter, no difficulty which He cannot remove, no portion of the Word which He cannot explain. All that is necessary to your salvation is revealed in the Word — all that can now be known of Jesus is there unveiled; and all this, the blessed Spirit stands prepared to make known to you. He it is who leads you to Jesus; Jesus lifts the veil and reveals the Father; and the Father, when revealed, appears full of love, mercy, and forgiveness to the poor returning prodigal, who in penitence and lowliness seeks an asylum in His heart.

And oh, how ready is the Spirit to instruct you! Such love and grace has He in His heart, the Heavenly Dove seems ever poised upon the wing, ready to fly to that soul who but sighs for His inward teaching! Does He see one oppressed with a sense of guilt? He hastens to apply the atoning blood of Jesus. Does He mark one weary with its fruitless toil? He seals the promise of the Savior on the heart — "Come unto me, all you who labor and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest." Does He spot one combating with temptation, tormented with fear, harassed with doubts, struggling with infirmity, halting through weakness? Oh, how ready is He to show that soul where its great strength, and comfort, and grace lie — even in the fullness of a most loving, precious, and all-sufficient Savior!

Oh, then, in the name of Jesus, seek this glorious gift of God. Seek Him as a life-giving Spirit, (John 6:63;) as making Jesus known to you, (John 15:26, 16:14;) as leading you into the deep things of God's Word, (1 Corinthians 2:10;) as comforting you in every sorrow, (John 15:26;) as deeply sanctifying you, (Romans 8:13;) as imparting to you the love, confidence, and consolation of an adopted child, (Romans 8:15) as breathing into your soul true prayer, (Zech. 12:10; Romans 8:26, 27;) as evidencing to you your sonship, (Romans 8:16;) as giving you access through Jesus to the Father, (Ephesians 2:8;) as dwelling in you, (John 14;17; 1 Corinthians 3:16;) as strengthening the divine life in your soul, (Ephesians 3:16;) as giving you a oneness with all saints, (Ephesians 5:3, 4;) as being to you the pledge and the seal of eternal glory, (Ephesians 1:14, 4:30.)

For your encouragement in seeking this great and indispensable blessing, I would remind you of the words of our Lord himself, which at once define the precious gift, while they insure its free bestowment, "If you then, being evil, know how to give good gifts unto your children — how much more shall your heavenly Father give the Holy Spirit to those who ask him!" Ask, and you shall receive the teaching and anointing of the Holy Spirit. Without Him, all is the darkness and the stillness of death! Possessing Him, your path to glory will grow brighter and brighter unto the perfect day.

It is not improbable that this little Memoir may find its way into the chamber of solitude and affliction, and be the occasional companion of some young believer confined to the bed of sickness. From its narrative, you will learn the all-sufficiency of Jesus for the wearisome days of sickness, and for the solemn hour of death. Read again the record of His tender, gracious dealings with these now glorified young believers. See how He made all their bed in their sickness, so that they lay softly and composedly as on a bed of down. See how His left hand was under their head, and how His right hand embraced them! See how He deigned to visit their lowly dwellings, cheering their hearts with His love, strengthening their faith, animating their hope, and sustaining them, as He gradually — but so gently, led them down to the shore, and then on through the swellings of the river of death.

Mark, too, the love and faithfulness of the Spirit — how He stood watching over, with sleepless eye, the work of grace which He had begun in their souls, and was now perfecting for its state of glory. Observe how He supplied the soul with the hidden manna — feeding, nourishing, and sustaining it with promise after promise, just as the mind fluctuated and the feelings changed. See how He met every difficulty, solved every doubt, quelled every fear, soothed every sorrow — by His unfoldings of Jesus to the soul. In every new phase that appeared in their experience — in every new doubt that arose, and in every new fear that alarmed — observe how He fixed their eye on Christ, and in a moment all was peace.

And so, my young reader, will be your experience. Doubt not, faint not, fear not; that same heavenly Father — that same all-sufficient Redeemer — that same blessed Comforter will be with you on your bed of languishing, and "even unto death."

The great truth with which you now have alone to do is — the complete salvation of the Lord Jesus Christ. As a sinner, this is just the doctrine that you need. You cannot trust in it too implicitly, nor lean on it too confidently. You are a poor sinner — Jesus is a rich Savior; and an empty sinner and a full Savior go hand in hand!

Let me present my affectionate sympathy with your present state of loneliness, privation, and suffering. Wearisome days and sleepless nights are appointed unto you. When it is day — you long for night; and when night comes — you are as one that watches for the morning. In all this, Satan, ever ready to harass, where he cannot possess the soul — may suggest hard thoughts of the dealings of God with you. Oh, do not entertain them — no, not for a moment!

The God who is now dealing with you is love — all love. If so He saw fit, there should be no cold sweat upon your brow — no hectic flush upon your cheek; no pain or restlessness in your frame; no day without ease; no night without sleep. But since He has so ordered it, let your dear heart bow to His will, and exclaim, "Even so, Father, for so it seems good in your sight."

PUBLIC DOMAIN - Permission is not required to reproduce this material.

nChrist
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 09, 2010, 03:15:23 PM »

From Timeless Grace Gems

Has the idea ever suggested itself to your mind, that perhaps the most effectual and pleasant relief for wakeful hours of restlessness, is to endeavor to fix the mind upon God, making Him alone the subject of its musings and contemplations? The remedy has been tried with the happiest results. The mind fixed upon God — every troubling thought being excluded — its excitement ceases, and sweet sleep will follow; when perhaps all other remedies have failed. The following case, presented in the words of another, will best illustrate and confirm the idea:

"A friend once told me, that, among other symptoms of high anxiety and stress, he had been painfully harassed for the lack of sleep. To such a degree had this proceeded, that if, in the course of the day any occasion led him to his bedchamber, the sight of his bed made him shudder at the idea of the restless and wretched hours he had to pass upon it. In this case, it was recommended to him to endeavor, when he lay down at night, to fix his thoughts on something at the same time vast and simple — such as the wide expanse of the ocean, or the cloudless vault of heaven — that the little anxious and disturbing images that flitted before his mind might be charmed away, or hushed to rest by the calming influences of one absorbing thought. Though not at all a religious man at the time, this advice suggested to his mind, that if an object at once vast and simple was to be selected, no one could serve his purpose so well as that of God. He resolved to make the trial, and think of Him. The result exceeded his most optimistic hopes: in thinking of God — he fell asleep. Night after night he resorted to the same expedient. The process became delightful; so much so, that he used to long for the usual hour of retiring, that he might 'fall asleep,' as he termed it, 'in God.' What began as a mere physical operation, grew, by imperceptible degrees, into a gracious influence. The same God who was his repose by night, was in all his thoughts by day. And God, as revealed in the gospel of His Son, became 'all his salvation, and all his desire.' So various are the means, and inscrutable are the ways, by which God can 'fetch home the banished.'" "I lie awake thinking of You, meditating on You through the night!" Psalm 63:6

And, oh, how blessed is the object of contemplation thus presented to your wakeful thoughts! A God in Christ — your covenant God — your reconciled Father. All His thoughts towards you, peace; all His feelings, love; and all His dealings, mercy. Soon will you be in His heavenly presence, and behold His unveiled glory as it beams forth from the eternal throne! Soon will you be with Jesus, shall see Him, be like Him, and dwell with Him forever! Darkness, and conflict, and sickness, and death — shall cease, because sin shall cease. Then, in your blessed experience, will be realized the beatific vision, "And God shall wipe away all tears from their eyes; and there shall be no more death, nor sorrow, nor crying, neither shall there be any more pain; for the former things are passed away."

Let this prospect reconcile you patiently to wait all the days of your appointed time, until your change comes. God is faithful. Christ, in whom you believe, is able to keep that which you have committed unto Him against that glorious day. He will perfect that which concerns you. Nothing shall be consumed in your present fiery trial — but the tin and dross. The precious and imperishable gold shall be "found unto praise, and honor, and glory, at the appearing of Jesus Christ."

Not more safe were Noah and his family, when they sailed in the ark through the storm — than is that soul who is shut up in Christ. If you have come out of yourself, have left all, and have fled to Jesus — this is your encouragement. Not a soul ever perished — whom the Father gave in covenant to His Son; whom the Son redeemed; whom the Spirit has regenerated, and in whom He dwells! A threefold cord keeps that precious saint — the Father, the Son, and the Holy Spirit! "Kept by the power of God, through faith, unto salvation." Oh, precious declaration! Press it with a stronger faith to your heart; for if God is for you — who can be against you!

Ah! in your present state of weakness, you find it difficult to think or to pray. Still, He who formed you, knows your frame; "He remembers that we are dust." There is One who thinks and prays for you. It is Jesus, your Elder Brother; the "brother born for adversity;" the great High Priest wearing your nature, who has passed within the veil, "now to appear in the presence of God for us." Jesus intercedes for you moment by moment. Your faith shall not fail; your grace shall not decline; your hope shall not make ashamed; for He who came down to earth, and was wounded for your transgression, and was bruised for your iniquities — rose again from the dead, and ascended on high, now to appear in the presence of God for you!

Christ prays for you, and that when by reason of confusion of mind and weakness of body — you cannot pray for yourself. Be not cast down, because of your inability to read the Word, or even to hear it read. Your present incapacity and apparent lack of interest is physical, and the effect of disease. The Lord knows it. He remembers that you are dust. Then do not be grieved; He who said to His disciples, when they were faint and exhausted, "Come with Me by yourselves to a quiet place and get some rest," cherishes in His tender, loving heart — thoughts and feelings of compassion towards you. He knows your weariness, and your faintness; your confusion of thought, and your present restlessness of body, and does not require from you, more than His own power and grace will enable you to give.

Precious Jesus! You are that gentle Shepherd, who never over-drives Your little ones. When they cannot run — You permit them to walk; and when, through feebleness, they cannot walk — You carry them. You are He of whom it was said, "He will feed his flock like a shepherd. He will carry the lambs in His arms, holding them close to His heart. He will gently lead the mother sheep with their young!"

Lord, regard me, one of the smallest, weakest of Your flock. Gently lead me, or tenderly carry me; yes, in Your very bosom carry me! Nowhere am I so safe. Nowhere so happy — as there. Your bosom was pierced for my sins; yes, by my sins — and there alone can I repose. Your grief — is my joy; Your sorrow — is my gladness; Your wounds — are my healing! And that bosom of Yours was smitten with the sword, racked and rent asunder by the tempest, that it might be to me — a fountain of healing; a pillow of rest; a covert from the storm."

With these feelings, how expressive of your views are the sentiments of a sweet poet of Scotland:

"I lay my sins on Jesus,
        The spotless Lamb of God;
        He bears them all, and frees us
        From the accursed load!

"I bring my guilt to Jesus,
        To wash my crimson stains
        White in His blood most precious,
        Until not a spot remains!

"I lay my wants on Jesus —
        All fullness dwells in Him,
        He heals all my diseases,
        He does my soul redeem!

"I lay my griefs on Jesus,
        My burdens and my cares;
        He from them all releases —
        He all my sorrows shares!

"I rest my soul on Jesus —
        This weary soul of mine;
        His right hand me embraces,
        On His bosom I recline.

"I long to be like Jesus —
        Meek, loving, lowly, mild;
        I long to be like Jesus,
        The Father's holy child.

"I long to be with Jesus,
        Amidst the heavenly throng.
        To sing, with saints, His praises.
        And learn the angels' song!"

Personal effort for the salvation of others — the duty and the privilege of young believers — is impressively illustrated and strongly enforced by the preceding narratives. This is one of the most beautiful traits, and one of the clearest evidences of youthful piety. The moment God converts an individual — He converts him for the good of others. He blesses him — that he may be a blessing. From that moment he is no longer to live to himself. The grace that he has received, places him under the most solemn obligation to live and labor for the souls of individuals. His light is to be reflected; his salt is to be scattered; his gifts, his graces, his time, his influence — all, all are to be pressed into Christ-like service of personal effort for the conversion of souls. He is to seek to multiply himself. He is to labor to fill the world with more Christians — to beautify it with a greater number of living temples of the Holy Spirit. This is to be done, not so much by group efforts — as by personal effort. Not so much as a society — as an individual.

nChrist
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 09, 2010, 03:16:35 PM »

From Timeless Grace Gems

"Resolved," says the holy James Brainerd Taylor, "that I will (the Lord being my helper) think, speak, and act as an individual; for as such I must live, as such I must die, stand before God — and be damned or saved forever and ever. I have been waiting for others. I must act as if I were the only one to act, and wait no longer." Oh, high and holy, and magnanimous resolve! And so he did live, and act, and die. And though his life was a short, yet it was a brilliant one — brilliant with individual effort for the salvation of souls! The God of salvation, whose the power, and to whom the glory belong — crowned his labors with cheering success.

As an individual, Jesus lived and labored, when He "went about doing good." As an individual, Paul lived and labored, and could testify in his parting address at Ephesus, "Remember, that, by the space of three years, I ceased not to warn every one night and day with tears." What a blessed, holy, prosperous church would that be, were every member, as an individual, thus living and laboring to bring souls to Christ! How great and happy would be the reflex influence! A tide of blessing would roll back upon us. Great prosperity of soul in the individual members, and a large increase of the Church as a body, would surely follow.

As an individual, then, consecrate yourself to the service of the Lord. The Sunday school, the Bible class, the Bible and the tract distribution, open to you appropriate and delightful spheres of labor. Why, then, do you loiter in the vineyard? Be up and doing. "Occupy until I come," is your Lord's command. Let your inquiry be, "Lord, what will you have me to do?" and then follow the leadings of His providence; and whether it be to labor at home or abroad — whether to occupy a humble or a more prominent post of labor — bow in cheerful submission to the Lord's disposal of you, exclaiming in the language and in the spirit of the poet —

"May Your will, not mine be done;
         May Your will and mine be one!"

I cannot permit myself to conclude these pages without once more proposing the question to the young reader, and pressing it home with an earnestness and a solemnity befitting its unspeakable importance, "Are you truly converted?" I ask not, Are you a member of the Church? This you may be — alas! numbers are! — and yet, bear with me while I say it, for I speak in love to your soul — this you may be, and yet be lost, and that to all eternity, notwithstanding! Multitudes, multitudes, holding an external membership with the Church, having been initiated by baptism, and partaking regularly of what is termed the "holy communion," yet are total strangers to true conversion!

Do not mistake the nature of this great and necessary change. Neither baptism, confirmation, nor the Lord's Supper, can confer or authenticate it. Born in sin, you grow up "dead in trespasses and in sins." Born under the curse of a broken law, you are exposed to its tremendous penalty; and all the works of righteousness which you have done or may do — can never take that curse from off your soul, or screen you from its awful consequences. Living and dying without a change of heart — a renewed mind — a new and divine nature — love to God — pardon by the blood and acceptance in the righteousness of Christ — hell must be your inevitable doom!

Ponder the declarations of God's Word, which define the nature, and urge the necessity of the new and second birth.

See its NATURE: "If any man is in Christ Jesus — he is a new creature: old things are passed away; behold, all things are become new," (2 Corinthians 5:17.) "In Christ Jesus neither circumcision avails anything, nor uncircumcision — but a new creature," (Galatians 6:15.) "Put on the new man, which after God is created in righteousness and true holiness," (Ephesians 4:24.) "Partakers of the divine nature," (2 Peter 1:4.) "You has he quickened who were dead in trespasses and sins," (Ephesians 2:1.)

All true Christians are the subjects of this new birth: "As many as received Him, to them gave He power (marg. privilege) to become the sons of God, even to those who believe on His name; who were born not of blood, nor of the will of the flesh, nor of the will of man — but of God," (John 1:12, 13.) "New-born babes," (1 Peter 2:2.) "Whoever believes that Jesus is the Christ, is born of God," (1 John 5:1.)

The Holy Spirit is the AUTHOR of the new birth: "That which is born of the flesh is flesh, and that which is born of the Spirit is spirit," (John 3:6.) "Not by works of righteousness which we have done — but according to His mercy He saved us, by the washing of regeneration and renewing of the Holy Spirit," (Titus 3:5.)

See its NECESSITY: Apart from the new birth, there is no salvation: "Jesus answered and said unto him: Very truly I tell you, no one can see the kingdom of God unless they are born again." (John 3:3.)

Holiness of life is the grand EVIDENCE of the new birth: "If you know that He is righteous, you know that every one who does righteousness is born of Him," (1 John 2:29.)

Reader, here let me pause and ask yet once more the momentous question, "Are you born again?" Are you born again? Marvel not that I press the question with increased earnestness and solemnity! Everything valuable and dear to you in the prospect of eternity is connected with your answer! Heaven is a holy place, and "without holiness no man can see the Lord." Have you seriously contemplated the probability and the possibility of your being forever excluded from heaven? Excluded you must be, without the experience of the new birth. And, banished thence — where do you think that will you spend your eternity? Where — but in hell! Oh, dreadful thought! Appalling prospect! You must lie down, enwrapped in an ocean of quenchless flame — the undying worm gnawing upon you forever!

Do I seem to speak alarmingly? I aim so to do. I wish to agitate, to arouse, to warn you. I would gladly, that when you have laid down this book, you should go to a sleepless pillow, your night spent in deep searchings of heart, solemn reflection, anxious solicitude, and fervent prayer — on the grand subject of your soul's eternal salvation. Give no sleep to your eye, or slumber to your eyelids — until you have fled as a lost sinner to the cross of Jesus! Let these words ring in your ears until followed by the sweet sounds of Mercy, pronouncing your sins forgiven: "You must be born again!" John 3:6

You may defer the consideration of this solemn subject. You will, perhaps, return to the world, throw off all solemn thought, and quench every spark of holy feeling; but

"This fearful truth will still remain:
        The sinner must be born again —
        Or sink to endless woe!"

The weeping eye of an anxious inquirer for salvation may drop its tear upon this page. Ah! is it so? Then I change my theme. Rich is the provision which God has made for poor broken-hearted, humble, penitent sinners: "God so loved the world, that he gave his only-begotten Son, that whoever believes in him should not perish — but have everlasting life!" "God so loved the world!" Oh, what love was that! This is the love to which, as a trembling sinner, I invite you. And what has this vast and astounding love provided? A Savior — and a great one! Jesus is that Savior.

Has the Spirit convinced you of sin? Do you feel guilt a burden, and does the law's curse lie heavy upon you? Then He is the only Savior. Believe in Him, embrace and welcome Him. See how He points to His atoning blood — and bids you bathe in it! See how He shows you His wounded side — and invites you to take refuge in it! Hear Him say, "Come unto me, all you who labor and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest." "Him that comes unto me, I will never cast out." "If anyone thirsts, let him come unto me and drink!" Oh, come to Jesus! this moment come! A full Christ, a willing and an able Christ, a precious Christ, a tender, compassionate, loving Christ — is He! He was never known to reject a single soul who besought His healing touch.

There is a fullness of pardon, a fullness of righteousness, a fullness of grace, a fullness of love — in Jesus! There is enough for you, enough for me, enough for every poor, penniless comer! Your vileness, your unworthiness, your poverty, your age — are no hindrances to your coming to Jesus! Rather they are incentives, all in favor of your coming. Every view you take of your emptiness, every sin that presses upon your conscience, speaks loudly, "Go to Jesus!" Where can you take your guilt, your burden, your sorrow — but to Him?

nChrist
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 09, 2010, 03:18:21 PM »

From Timeless Grace Gems

Go, then, nothing doubting of a welcome. "Only believe," and you are saved. Free — free as God's grace can make it — is the blessing of salvation. Your own righteousness will avail you nothing in the procurement of Divine forgiveness. Coming building on any work of your own, you will be as surely rejected — as he who comes building on Christ's work alone, will be surely received. "However, to the man who does not work but trusts God who justifies the wicked, his faith is credited as righteousness." "By grace you are saved, through faith." "Therefore it is of faith, that it might be by grace." "Being justified freely by his grace, through the redemption that is in Christ Jesus."

Oh, glad announcement, then, to a poor, bankrupt sinner! Without works! without merit! without money! without worthiness! By faith! By grace! The Spirit of Comfort speaking these words to your broken heart — you may exclaim in an ecstasy of new-born joy, "Then I am saved! I am saved! God is mine, Christ is mine, salvation is mine, heaven is mine! My fetters are broken, my chains are burst, my burden is gone, and I am swimming in a sea of love!"

Such, my reader, is the Lord Jesus. Oh for a thousand tongues, to tell of His dying love to poor sinners — the readiness and the gentleness with which He heals a broken heart, binds up a wounded spirit, soothes a disconsolate mind, and gives the "oil of joy — for mourning; and the garment of praise — for the spirit of heaviness!"

Are you a young believer? Then live as such, remember the holy profession you have made, the solemn vow you have taken to be the Lord's. Walk worthy of your high calling. Be circumspect, be watchful, be prayerful. "Abstain from all appearance of evil." Come out of the world, and be separate; form no alliance in any shape or connection with it. Let your friendships be holy, your companions those who fear the Lord.

Especially guard your affections. Let no natural loveliness of person or of character, be in your eye more lovely and attractive than grace. Remember the Word of God is against unhallowed unions; that a believer in Jesus may "marry only in the Lord." Seeing how many young Christians have slighted this solemn precept, and have in consequence brought upon themselves a Father's chastening rod — I am constrained to lift up my voice in earnest and affectionate warning. Great may be the temptation, and feeble your power of resistance; but the grace that is in Christ Jesus is all-sufficient. "My grace is sufficient for you."

Perhaps you are a young believer, deeply, painfully tried and afflicted. The Lord often early puts His children in the furnace. How soon was Jesus himself made to taste the cup of suffering! When yet an infant, His life was sought. How soon after his conversion was Paul made to know what great things he was to suffer for Christ's sake! Well, if the Lord is now trying you — He is but preparing you for greater usefulness on earth, and for an earlier transmission to heaven. The shorter the work — the sooner the rest. Those who are called by grace early in life — are often taken early to glory! Their voyage is soon made; their journey is soon finished; their race is soon run. Heaven is very near a young believer. His bark sails along its verdant shore. The port soon appears. He enters; and he is forever with the Lord. His sun goes down while it is yet day; but it rises again in cloudless splendor, to set no more forever. Oh, how rich and resplendent is heaven at this moment with innumerable happy and glorified spirits of those who were early brought to Christ, early fought the fight, and early went to receive the prize!

As a young believer, your path may often be a difficult and a perplexing one. Questions may sometimes arise which produce the most painful difficulties and perplexity. But permit me to direct your attention to a portion of God's Word, which, to him whose pen traces these lines, has been through life more precious and more valuable than all the wealth of the Indies. "Trust in the Lord with all your heart, and lean not unto your own understanding; in all your ways acknowledge him, and he shall direct your paths."

Oh, cheering words, to one trembling to follow the will of God! Act faith upon it, and light from heaven will shed its beams upon your soul, and its luster upon your way. God will direct your paths! Are you an orphan? He will take you by the hand, and be to you a Father. Have you no mother, to the shelter and soothing of whose love you may flee? Hear him say, "As one whom his mother comforts, so will I comfort you." Oh, what can you want — that you have not in God!

Let your walk be very close and humble with Him. Cultivate daily communion. Set a high value upon closet prayer. No other prayer can supply its place. It is there alone, that the soul can conduct its secret transactions with God. Remember, if you are His adopted child, your Father delights in your person, loves your voice, and makes all your interests His own. You have not a sorrow that He will not soothe, nor a step that He will not guide, nor an infirmity that He will not subdue, nor a temptation that He will not break, nor a void that He will not fill, nor a need that He will not supply. Lift up, then, your heart with your voice, and exclaim, "You shall guide me with your counsel — and afterward receive me to glory!" "Whom have I in heaven but you! And there is none upon earth that I desire beside you!"

Farewell, my beloved young reader! We have spent some hallowed moments together here: may it be our privilege, through sovereign grace, to spend a happy eternity together in heaven! There may we meet the two lovely "Gathered Flowers" whose beauty we have been admiring, whose fragrance we have been inhaling; and with them may we be presented by Jesus to the Father, a part of the "glorious Church, not having spot, or wrinkle, or any such thing," but all washed in His blood, and all clothed in His righteousness! As we commenced this little work in the spirit of prayer — let us close it in the spirit of praise. And what words more appropriate than "The Pilgrim's Song".

"My rest is in heaven, my rest is not here;
        Then why should I murmur, when trials are near?
        Be hushed, my dark spirit; the worst that can come
        But shortens your journey, and hastens you home!

"It is not for me, to be seeking my bliss,
        And building my hopes, in a region like this;
        I look for a city, which hands have not piled,
        I pant for a country, by sin undefiled!

"The thorn and the thistle, around me may grow;
        I would not lie down, upon roses below.
        I ask not my portion, I seek not a rest,
        Until I find them forever, in Jesus' breast!

"Afflictions may damp me, they cannot destroy;
        One glimpse of His love, turns them all into joy,
        And the bitterest tears, if He smile but on them,
        Like the dew in the sunshine, grow diamond and gem!

"Let doubt, then and danger, my progress oppose;
        They only make heaven, more sweet at the close.
        Come joy or come sorrow, whatever befall,
        An hour with my God, will make up for them all!

"A scrip on my back, and a staff in my hand,
        I'll march on in haste, through an enemy's land;
        The road may be rough, but it cannot be long.
        And I'll smooth it with hope, and cheer it with song!"

Pages: 1 [2] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

More From ChristiansUnite...    About Us | Privacy Policy | | ChristiansUnite.com Site Map | Statement of Beliefs

Copyright © 1999-2019 ChristiansUnite.com. All rights reserved.
Please send your questions, comments, or bug reports to the