Webmasters
• Christian Guestbooks
• Banner Exchange
• Dynamic Content

Subscribe to our Free Newsletter.
Enter your email address:

ChristiansUnite
Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 03:57:22 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Our Lord Jesus Christ loves you.
286798 Posts in 27568 Topics by 3790 Members
Latest Member: Goodwin
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  ChristiansUnite Forums
|-+  Theology
| |-+  Debate (Moderator: admin)
| | |-+  Why do we have to confess sins ??
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Why do we have to confess sins ??  (Read 3986 times)
dan p

View Profile
« on: September 20, 2010, 07:47:58 PM »

Hi to all , and many believers say and quote 1  John 1:9 , if we confess our sins , He is faithful and just to forgive us our sins , and cleanse us  FROM  all unrighteousness .

And if that is for today under grace , why does Paul say in Col 2:13 , And you , being dead in your sins and the uncircumcision of your flesh  , hath He quickened together with Him , having  FORGIVEN  YOU  ALL  TRESPASSES .

So , why do any believer of today have to confess sins , today ??
Brother Jerry
Global Moderator
Gold Member

I'm a llama!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2010, 11:11:43 AM »

Hi Dan.

The process of confessing a sin is to recognize that you have sinned.  You cannot confess something that you did not do.   A heart that has confessed to Jesus and has turned towards Jesus will be one that realizes when they have done wrong and desire to be forgiven for that offense....or to confess.  It is not mandated as far as you having to continually do that in order to keep your salvation, however it is something that we should do to build our relationship with the Lord. 

Sincerely
Brother Jerry

------
I am like most fathers.  I, like most, want more for my children than I have.

I am unlike most fathers.  What I would like my children to have more of is crowns to lay at Jesus feet.
BillyShope

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2010, 01:52:30 PM »

Hi Dan.

A heart that has confessed to Jesus and has turned towards Jesus will be one that realizes when they have done wrong and desire to be forgiven for that offense....or to confess.

But, haven't you directly contradicted God's Word, as quoted by Dan?

If all trespasses have been forgiven, any desire to be forgiven again is a direct repudiation of God's clear teaching. A believer should simply accept the fact that his sins have been forgiven. Period.

The doctrine of repentance is reserved for those of the dispensation of Law.

nChrist
Global Moderator
Gold Member

May God Lead And Guide Us All

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2010, 02:34:40 PM »

But, haven't you directly contradicted God's Word, as quoted by Dan?

If all trespasses have been forgiven, any desire to be forgiven again is a direct repudiation of God's clear teaching. A believer should simply accept the fact that his sins have been forgiven. Period.

The doctrine of repentance is reserved for those of the dispensation of Law.

No, I don't think that Brother Jerry has done that at all. A person's daily relationship with God is personal, just as a person's prayer life is personal. It does not displease God when we confess our sins, just the opposite. The same would be true in prayer for God to help us in our weaknesses, be more yielded to Him, and live a life as a living testimony for Him. There certainly couldn't be anything wrong with this.

Love In Christ,
Tom

BillyShope

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2010, 07:57:14 PM »

No, I don't think that Brother Jerry has done that at all.
I evidently didn't make myself clear. The Scripture is:

Col 2:13 , And you , being dead in your sins and the uncircumcision of your flesh  , hath He quickened together with Him , having  FORGIVEN  YOU  ALL  TRESPASSES .

Brother Jerry's response was:

...one that realizes when they have done wrong and desire to be forgiven for that offense

If words have meanings, that is an obvious contradiction. If God has told you that He has forgiven your sins, but you say, "No, God. I don't believe that. I must confess my sins in order for You to forgive them," you have placed your human understanding above everything, including the very Word of God.
nChrist
Global Moderator
Gold Member

May God Lead And Guide Us All

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2010, 11:36:27 PM »

I evidently didn't make myself clear. The Scripture is:

Col 2:13 , And you , being dead in your sins and the uncircumcision of your flesh  , hath He quickened together with Him , having  FORGIVEN  YOU  ALL  TRESPASSES .

Brother Jerry's response was:

...one that realizes when they have done wrong and desire to be forgiven for that offense

If words have meanings, that is an obvious contradiction. If God has told you that He has forgiven your sins, but you say, "No, God. I don't believe that. I must confess my sins in order for You to forgive them," you have placed your human understanding above everything, including the very Word of God.

You made yourself completely clear and we obviously don't agree. Brother Jerry and I also made ourselves perfectly clear. Your addition of words and your personal interpretation doesn't change my opinion at all. I further doubt that Brother Jerry's opinion will be changed either, so are we clear? Read our posts again and know that's exactly what we believe and feel. I'm not going to satisfy your need for an argument. Clear?

David_james
Gold Member

Jesus loves you

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 13, 2010, 09:03:41 AM »

Because GOD said so! Nuff said.

Rev 21:4  And God shall wipe away all tears from their eyes; and there shall be no more death, neither sorrow, nor crying, neither shall there be any more pain: for the former things are passed away.
duval

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 13, 2010, 11:28:11 AM »

Hello Friends

Please consider that by our obedience to the gospel (Acts 2:36-42 for an example) our past sins are all forgive.  We willat times continue to sin.  Please note that Colosians as noted by Dan P was written approx. 62 ad but I John was written much latter than that, about the close of the 1st. century.  Thus it is not only factural  but scriptiural to say that I Jn. DOES apply today.  Dan P quoted I Jn.1:7.  Its very context says we sin ( vs.8-10) And if we say we have NO sin we not only deceive ourselves  but call Him ( God ) a liar.  Folks its dangerous, dangerous to call Him a liar.

God bless
duval
dan p

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 16, 2010, 07:44:07 PM »

Hi Dan.

The process of confessing a sin is to recognize that you have sinned.  You cannot confess something that you did not do.   A heart that has confessed to Jesus and has turned towards Jesus will be one that realizes when they have done wrong and desire to be forgiven for that offense....or to confess.  It is not mandated as far as you having to continually do that in order to keep your salvation, however it is something that we should do to build our relationship with the Lord. 

Hi Jerry , and  ALL  sins have been forgiven , Past  ,  Present and Future .  But read Gal 6:1-7 !!!
duval

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 16, 2010, 07:58:34 PM »

Hi Dan

If careful  search of scripture is made it will be seen that present sins are forgiven conditionally.  There is the word "if" there.  Little, but a mighty big word.  I have yet to read anywhere in the Bible where "future" sins are forgiven now, presently, at this time.  If you know of such a passage please share it with me.

God bless you as you study,
duval
dan p

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 16, 2010, 09:34:04 PM »

Hi Dan

If careful  search of scripture is made it will be seen that present sins are forgiven conditionally.  There is the word "if" there.  Little, but a mighty big word.  I have yet to read anywhere in the Bible where "future" sins are forgiven now, presently, at this time.  If you know of such a passage please share it with me.

duval

Hi duval , and give that verse that you are talking about  , " if "  ,  and conditioned on what ??   dan p
duval

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 17, 2010, 09:49:28 AM »

Hi Dan

I shall be happy to answer your questions.

All past sins are forgiven when we obey the  gospel of Christ.

Of our present sins I Jn.1 provides good answers about present sin and the conditional word "if".  Vs. 7: "if we walk in the light, as he is in the light, we have fellowship---" there is that word "if". Again, same verse, "---and the blood of Jesus Christ his Son cleanseth us from all sin."  Both "fellowship" and the "blood" are conditioned on "if".

I Jn.8: "If we say we have no sin, we deceive ourselves, and the truth is not in us."  Again the word "if", a conditional word, and John is speaking of the present.  Terrible consequences hang in the balances from this verse.  "If" we say we have no sin (present tense)  number 1 we deceive ourselves and number two, the truth is not in us.

Next verse, I Jn.9:  "if" we confess our sins (present tense) God is "faithful and just to forgive and cleanse".  But conditioned on "if" we do.

Now, I Jn.10:  "If we say that we have not sinned, we make him a liiar and his word is not in us."  Again, the conditional word "if".  Again I concliude its dangerous to call God a liar.  The word "IF" is not only conditional but much hangs on it.  But so much for now.

God bless,
duval
dan p

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 17, 2010, 01:48:34 PM »

Hi Dan

I shall be happy to answer your questions.

Next verse, I Jn.9:  "if" we confess our sins (present tense) God is "faithful and just to forgive and cleanse".  But conditioned on "if" we do.

Now, I Jn.10:  "If we say that we have not sinned, we make him a liiar and his word is not in us."  Again, the conditional word "if".  Again I concliude its dangerous to call God a liar.  The word "IF" is not only conditional but much hangs on it.  But so much for now.

God bless,
duval

Hi duval , but 1 John 1:9  " IF "   we confess our sins ,  IS  NOT  IN  HE  PRESENT  TENSE , SORRY .

Just so you know ,  "  IF we confess our sins  "  is in the Greek Subjunctive Mood and it means that it   MIGHT  happen !

Next 1 and 2nd  and  3rd  John are new covenant ground and the so-called General Epistles  will be used in the tribulation after the Body of Christ is Departed/Rapture .
duval

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 17, 2010, 02:53:09 PM »

Hi Dan

"Might happen"??  Does that not place it in the realm of present possibility?

God bless---duval
dan p

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 17, 2010, 03:31:29 PM »

Hi Dan

duval

Hi duval , and covenants are Conditional and Unconditional , but in grace we are forgiven  ALL  TRESPASSES , ALL , ALL , ALL !!   Col 2:13-14 .

In Col 2:14 , it says "  and  TOOK "   it out of the way " .

The Greek verb  AIRO  which means n " TOOK  "   is in the Perfect Tense  ,  Active  Voice  ,  and in Indicative  Mood .

The perfect tense means  Past  Action with Continuing Results  .

And  good example to show the Perfect Tense is in John 19:30 , where Jesus said  " it is finished  "   which means that His  death on the cross  is in the Past Action  in dying for  SINS  and the Cotinuing Results are always in the Present as Christ keeps on saving people and will never have to die again or go back on a cross to die again .

The Active Voice means that He did the dying .

The Indicative Mood , means that what He said in John 19:30 is a  FACT .

And the rest of the verse in 14 , He  NAILED  TO THE  CROSS ,  and the is your proof , dan p
« Last Edit: December 17, 2010, 05:47:28 PM by dan p » Logged
Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

More From ChristiansUnite...    About Us | Privacy Policy | | ChristiansUnite.com Site Map | Statement of Beliefs

Copyright © 1999-2019 ChristiansUnite.com. All rights reserved.
Please send your questions, comments, or bug reports to the