Webmasters
• Christian Guestbooks
• Banner Exchange
• Dynamic Content

Subscribe to our Free Newsletter.
Enter your email address:

ChristiansUnite
Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 25, 2024, 11:17:34 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Our Lord Jesus Christ loves you.
286805 Posts in 27568 Topics by 3790 Members
Latest Member: Goodwin
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  ChristiansUnite Forums
|-+  Entertainment
| |-+  Computer Hardware and Software (Moderator: admin)
| | |-+  Battle Of The Freeware Text Editors
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Battle Of The Freeware Text Editors  (Read 5741 times)
nChrist
Global Moderator
Gold Member

May God Lead And Guide Us All

View Profile
« on: June 22, 2010, 07:12:56 PM »

I'll give a short review of one I'm trying now Called RJ TextEd.

First, I'm not talking about an Office Suite or a full-fledged word-processor, rather a full featured and fast text editor. I use Open Office for my Office Suite and Word Processor needs and am very happy with Open Office. I usually use a commercial text editor called UltraEdit for many of my needs, but I have tried a few freeware text editors for fast and easy jobs.

Here's a short description of RJ TextEd and a link:

RJ TextEd
http://www.rj-texted.se/

RJ TextEd - A Unicode source and text editor.

RJ TextEd is a full featured text and source editor with Unicode support, syntax highlighting and code folding. The functionality extends beyond text files and includes support for HTML editing with integrated preview, spell checking, auto completion, HTML validation, templates and more. The program also include support for Topstyle Lite CSS editor, has a dual pane file commander, as well as a FTP client to upload your files. Below is a small list of features available. For a full list check out the features section.

RJ TextEd is released as FREEWARE. However, if you find the program useful I would appreciate a small donation.
Features

Below is a small list of features available in the program.

* Auto completion.
    * Code folding.
    * Column mode.
    * Multi edit and multi select
    * Advanced sorting.
    * Handles both ASCII and binary files.
    * Html wizards.
    * Use TopStyle Lite as your CSS editor if installed.
    * FTP and SFTP client with synchronization.
    * File explorer, text clips, code explorer, project manager...
    * Convert between code pages, Unicode formats and text formats.
    * Unicode and ANSI code page detection.
    * Open/Save UTF-8 encoded files without a signature (BOM).
    * Unicode file paths and file names.
    * Html validation, format and repair.
    * Tools available like syntax editor, color picker, charmap...

There are a many features not listed above. Including spell checking, e-mail support, advanced search with regular expressions. To learn more about the program you could check out the screenshots, or just try it out. The program is absolutely free.

I'll have to say that RJ TextEd rivals my commercial editor in nearly everything, and it's even better with a few functions that I use often (i.e. BBCode and text snippets I use in forum posting). It's slick, stable, has a spell checker, has HTML functions, and many programming functions. Try it - you just might like it.

If you have a nice freeware text editor that you like, please review it here.

Love In Christ,
Tom

daniel1212av
Gold Member

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2010, 01:40:06 PM »

Thanks for the tip. I installed it, and it looks impressive, but as i do not know coding, html or otherwise, it is not very useful for me

I do use Win32 pad (http://download.cnet.com/Win32Pad/3000-2351_4-10421869.html) as a notepad replacement, as i recognizes url addresses, among other things.

I use OOo extensively, thanks be to God, and to make web pages i just created a word document and save it to a web page. But it does have some quirks. If i open a html page with tables, it places a .20 space between the last line of text and the table border, which was saved as 0.04.  Likewise if i add the Google translate script into it, after  </HEAD><BODY (as seen in my N.T. Bible study pages) and save it then when i reopen it and save it  OOo places <P><BR><BR>   </P> into it (after the <DIV ID="google_translate_element" DIR="LTR">) which was not there before, and i have to edit out the space with Win32 pad. But it is a real blessing all the same.

" The truth is in JESUS" (Eph. 4:21b).
www.peacebyjesus.com
nChrist
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2010, 02:04:24 PM »

Hello Brother Daniel,

It's been a long time since I've done anything with HTML or made a web page, so I haven't tried any of my editors or Open Office on HTML. I also use Open Office considerably, especially on larger projects. I also don't do programming or coding work, so most of what I've done with RJ Text Editor is like a full-featured replacement for Notepad. User customizations of RJ Text Editor is easy, so I have put in the BBCode, headers, and text snippets that I use every day for forum posting. It's real handy for especially BBCode, and it's fast. It will also handle files up to the limit of memory you have.

I haven't tried Win32 Pad, so I'll take a look at it. Thanks for the link and information.

Love In Christ,
Tom

daniel1212av
Gold Member

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2010, 03:27:36 PM »

Whatever BBCode is! Huh

I do see it has an autosave option, but did not see a "check spelling as you type" feature, which is important for me and my hunt and peck typos.

Btw, how to you like the N.T. Bible study? Does the RefTagg pop ups work ok:  http://peacebyjesus.witnesstoday.org/Bible/Mark_1.html
« Last Edit: July 27, 2010, 04:13:50 PM by daniel1212av » Logged

www.peacebyjesus.com
nChrist
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2010, 08:35:17 PM »

Whatever BBCode is! Huh

I do see it has an autosave option, but did not see a "check spelling as you type" feature, which is important for me and my hunt and peck typos.

Btw, how to you like the N.T. Bible study? Does the RefTagg pop ups work ok:  http://peacebyjesus.witnesstoday.org/Bible/Mark_1.html

Hello Brother Daniel,

BBCode is what makes everything work on most forums instead of HTML (i.e. bold, underline, center, font color, font size, and really all formatting commands. HTML uses <> type commands, and BBCode uses [] type commands. I completely format my forum posts right in RJ Text or UltraEdit - whichever one I'm using at the time. RJ Text is actually faster and more convenient with BBCode than UltraEdit. It's also handier on the headers and text snippets I use every day. Some editors refer to the text snippets as templates. Some editors also refer to BBCode as Tags - one before and one after the selected text. RJ Text does have a built-in spell checker. It's a matter of choosing a dictionary and enabling it. It comes with English, but you can easily download other languages. You can also choose to have spell-checking as you type. RJ Text Editor does it all - just about anything you can think of. HTML is built-in and RJ does a call to IE or Firefox to see your work. RJ also does a ton of different programming languages that I have no need for, but I have found a need for many of the handy features built-in. As another example, it has it's own little file manager and FTP built-in. Who knows, maybe RJ Text would handle your HTML needs.

I just came from your site, and the RefTaggs work perfectly - very handy and nice.
« Last Edit: August 12, 2010, 08:55:22 AM by nChrist » Logged

daniel1212av
Gold Member

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2010, 02:45:07 PM »

Thanks for the additional info. I think that would be of interest for those who do a lot of work with wiki sites, as maybe it will auto close the <ref> tags.  I really need a WYSIWYG editor for html though, as well as check spelling as you type, as in OOo and Firefox as well.

A handy took with Firefox is the ability to copy from web pages using the View selection source, and paste into forums which allow html coding (like FreeRepublic). This results in the same formatting.

And thanks for the confirmation on the RefTagger. And thank God for the ability to translate to so many languages, though it must leave somewhat to be desired.  Free tools we can use! Every breath we take is from Him, and may all be used to His glory.

www.peacebyjesus.com
nChrist
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2010, 03:25:35 PM »

Hello Brother Daniel,

I also give thanks for excellent freeware. Many people who labor for the Lord and small churches don't have the money for the commercial products. Thankfully, there's a variety of great and free software that will handle just about everything. It's really just a matter of looking and trying various programs until you find one that meets your needs.

By the way, RJ Text Editor will check spelling as you type, but it won't do WYSIWYG. As you probably already know, very few programs do WYSIWYG, and most of the ones that do cost big bucks.

Love In Christ,
Tom

Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

More From ChristiansUnite...    About Us | Privacy Policy | | ChristiansUnite.com Site Map | Statement of Beliefs

Copyright © 1999-2019 ChristiansUnite.com. All rights reserved.
Please send your questions, comments, or bug reports to the