Webmasters
• Christian Guestbooks
• Banner Exchange
• Dynamic Content

Subscribe to our Free Newsletter.
Enter your email address:

ChristiansUnite
Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 19, 2024, 05:45:16 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Our Lord Jesus Christ loves you.
286766 Posts in 27568 Topics by 3790 Members
Latest Member: Goodwin
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  ChristiansUnite Forums
|-+  Theology
| |-+  Bible Study (Moderator: admin)
| | |-+  Peter's statement of faith
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Peter's statement of faith  (Read 5432 times)
simon syrene

I'm a llama!

View Profile
« on: February 02, 2004, 11:35:27 PM »

30Then Peter got down out of the boat, walked on the water and came toward Jesus. But when he saw the wind, he was afraid and, beginning to sink, cried out, "Lord, save me!" --mattew 14
question:when Peter cried out:Lord save me! what does Peter want, did he want Jesus to save him out of the water.
My answer: no Peter want Jesus to save his soul. He wants spritial salvation. because Peter is a fisherman, if he only want to get out of water, he can simply swim back to his boat, which is not far away from him. From early verses that the diciples have a conversation with Jesus actually tell us that Jesus is not far away from the boat.
so when Peter cried out to Jesus:" Lord, save me" is actually a very remarkbal statement of faith. when peter is in trouble instead trying to find comfort by our own endeavour(swim to the boat), he turns to Jesus and depend on His strength all the time.
« Last Edit: February 04, 2004, 09:37:30 AM by simon syrene » Logged
ollie
Gold Member

Being born again, .....by the word of God,

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2004, 06:19:14 PM »

30Then Peter got down out of the boat, walked on the water and came toward Jesus. But when he saw the wind, he was afraid and, beginning to sink, cried out, "Lord, save me!" --mattew 14
question:when Peter cried out:Lord save me! what does Peter want, did he want Jesus to save him out of the water.
My answer: no Peter want Jesus to save his soul. He wants spritial salvation. because Peter is a fisherman, if he only want to get out of water, he can simply swim back to his boat, which is not far away from him. From early verses that the diciples have a conversation with Jesus actually tell us that Jesus is not far away from the boat.
so when Peter cried out to Jesus:" Lord, save me" is actually a very remarkbal statement of faith. the intuition is when we are in trouble instead trying to find comfort by our own endeavour(swim to the boat), we should turn to Jesus.

"when we are in trouble instead trying to find comfort by our own endeavour(swim to the boat), we should turn to Jesus."

Not just when we are in trouble. 365/24/7/60

Support your local Christian.
nChrist
Global Moderator
Gold Member

May God Lead And Guide Us All

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2004, 09:11:08 PM »

Not just when we are in trouble. 365/24/7/60

AMEN BROTHER OLLIE!

It is a comfort to know that we can rely on HIS strength every second of every day. It is a joy to know beyond any doubt that our SHEPHERD will not lose a single one of HIS flock. Thank you JESUS!

Thanks be unto GOD for HIS unspeakable GIFT!

Love In Christ,
Tom

simon syrene

I'm a llama!

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2004, 11:47:23 PM »

amen to ollie
and thanks,
 :-Xdidn't realize that.
Petro
Gold Member

I'm a llama!

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2004, 07:18:01 PM »

simon,

Good question.

The scriptures really do not tell us, what kind of salvation Peter looked for, when he uttered these words.

We can only speculate, the fact is Peter did worship God, but at this point in his life he was in unbelief (dead in transgression and sin).

Imediately as I thought about Peter, begining to sink into the water and uttering these words, I was impressed with the thought that Peter probaly didn't know how to swim, which is the case with alot of fisherman, they do not fear water, so long as they can feel the bottom under their feet, or hold onto something that floats.

In the heat of the moment I would have to say, Peter probably didn't want to die, and this is the reason for his yelling these words to Jesus.

It really doesn't matter whether (he knew how to swim) this is true or not, what is true, is,  that Jesus saves sinners, and that one must understand that he is a sinner, in need of a savior.

If Peter did not know nor understand this then, he did later after Jesus rose form the dead.

Peters writings prove this very fact..

I am sure he would claim these words;

Psa 40
2  He brought up also out of an horrible pit, out of the miry clay, and set my feet upon a Rock, and established my goings.

When Peter (whose name literally translated "stone" from the word  "cephas" at Jhn 1:42), wrote 1 Peter 2, made it clear he was not the Rock on whom the church would be built, but that ........................

Jesus was the stone which the builders rejected, and had become the head of the corner, the principle stone from which all other foundation stones are built upon , and He (Jesus) is the head of the body the church, the house of God of which we are "fellowcitizens with the saints, and of the household of God" (Eph 2:19) "fitly framed" (Eph 2:21) together making a habitation for God the Spirit, and "the pillar and ground of truth" (1 Tim 3:15)

Blessings,

Petro
« Last Edit: February 10, 2004, 07:45:14 PM by Petro » Logged

Reba
« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2004, 10:00:57 PM »

Welcome back petro
Petro
Gold Member

I'm a llama!

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2004, 10:28:54 AM »

Welcome back petro

Thanks, reba

It is nice to be back sharing with Gods people.

Blessings,

Petro

ollie
Gold Member

Being born again, .....by the word of God,

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 12, 2004, 12:58:33 PM »

Welcome back petro

Me too. Welcome back. I have been missing your posts for a little bit. Glad you are here again.

Love in Christ,
Ollie

Support your local Christian.
Petro
Gold Member

I'm a llama!

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 12, 2004, 04:55:43 PM »

Welcome back petro

Me too. Welcome back. I have been missing your posts for a little bit. Glad you are here again.

Love in Christ,
Ollie

Amen, to you also, Ollie,

It's good to hear your voice also.

Praise God..

Blessings,  Petro

PhilKosba

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 29, 2004, 05:24:18 AM »

Matthew 14:28  And Peter answered him and said, Lord, if it be thou, bid me come unto thee on the water. 29  And he said, Come. And when Peter was come down out of the ship, he walked on the water, to go to Jesus. 30  But when he saw the wind boisterous, he was afraid; and beginning to sink, he cried, saying, Lord, save me. 31  And immediately Jesus stretched forth his hand, and caught him, and said unto him, O thou of little faith, wherefore didst thou doubt? 32  And when they were come into the ship, the wind ceased. 33  Then they that were in the ship came and worshipped him, saying, Of a truth thou art the Son of God.

There are several lessons to be learned from this instance (passage).

Here, it is written, Peter beginning to sink; means, Peter ‘began’ to sink. If you put anything heavy in water, it just sinks, right? This shows about his faith in the Lord Jesus which is confirmed by the Lord's asking Peter, “O thou of little faith, wherefore didst thou doubt?

If you carefully read, you will notice Peter’s asking, in verse 28, “Lord, if it be thou, bid me come”. Here Peter’s “look” was on the Lord Jesus. And the Lord told him to “Come”. This word from the Lord gave Peter FAITH to walk on water, and he walked!

“So then faith cometh by hearing, and hearing by the word of God.” (Rom. 10:17)

But, soon Peter changed his look from the Lord Jesus to “the wind boisterous”. So, he lost his vision, he was afraid, and he began to sink; first in his faith, then in water.

Bible says, “Where there is no vision, the people perish:” (Prov. 29:18)

A born again child of God is not supposed to look at the circumstances around him and live, but look at Jesus.

“Looking unto Jesus the author and finisher of our faith;” (Heb. 12:2)

When tests and trials come, many children of God look at their circumstance and say, ‘oh, its impossible’, ‘I am tired’, ‘I am sick and will die’, etc. We are not supposed to say so.

every word may be confirmed by the evidence of two or three witnesses.” (Mat. 18:16) We have God’s Word saying “all things are possible with God”, we are "healed by His stripes”, etc. If we join with the God’s Promises, we bring life, blessings, healing, into our lives. But if we join with Satan’s negative words, we bring curses, sickness, death, etc. The choice is ours! So, mind your words!!

The Lord Jesus was not shouting at Peter for his lack of faith (by looking into the circumstances), but was comforting him, like a dad or mom telling a small kid, Oh dear, why did you get afraid? We need to be loving and caring.

This instance (and Mark 4:41) happened also for a fulfillment of a prophecy about the Lord Jesus in Psalm 107:29-  “He maketh the storm a calm, so that the waves thereof are still.”

And this helped the disciples in the boat to understand the Lord more as 'the Son of God' and helped them worship Him.

If you read again and gain, you get more Scriptural revelations from the Word.

(attributes to verses added.)

Cry from the Hell: "Why did I ignore Jesus?"
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

More From ChristiansUnite...    About Us | Privacy Policy | | ChristiansUnite.com Site Map | Statement of Beliefs

Copyright © 1999-2019 ChristiansUnite.com. All rights reserved.
Please send your questions, comments, or bug reports to the