Webmasters
• Christian Guestbooks
• Banner Exchange
• Dynamic Content

Subscribe to our Free Newsletter.
Enter your email address:

ChristiansUnite
Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 24, 2024, 03:31:09 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Our Lord Jesus Christ loves you.
286804 Posts in 27568 Topics by 3790 Members
Latest Member: Goodwin
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  ChristiansUnite Forums
|-+  Entertainment
| |-+  Politics and Political Issues (Moderator: admin)
| | |-+  Veterans Call for Flags to Fly Upside Down
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Veterans Call for Flags to Fly Upside Down  (Read 3419 times)
Soldier4Christ
Global Moderator
Gold Member

One Nation Under God

View Profile
« on: July 03, 2009, 08:22:08 AM »

Veterans Call for Flags to Fly Upside Down

War veterans are asking Americans across the country to fly their flags upside down this Fourth of July weekend. They say it’s a sign of distress and a protest against the Veterans Administration.

A small group of veterans picketed outside the Canandaigua VA Hospital Wednesday afternoon. They were protesting the closing of VA hospitals across the country. They say those that aren't closing are being sold off or leased to outside interests, depriving veterans the treatment they have earned.

Displaying the American flag upside down, however, is considered by some to be disrespectful.

“We're not disgracing the flag but telling the public be on the alert,” said Gene Simes, a U.S. Marine Corps veteran. “This is a distress call."

The vets believe their message is not being received. They've called on Congress to do more. Representative Eric Massa (D-Corning), a veteran himself, says this Congress and the Obama administration has done more for veterans in the past six months than ever before.

"Billions of dollars of an increase,” Massa said. “The largest single increase in the history of the VA including tens of millions of dollars not only for Canandaigua, for Bath in the stimulus bill."

Veterans say it isn't enough. They say too many services are being outsourced and sometimes they have to travel too far to receive those services.

"They’re spending pennies when dollars should be spent on the veterans,” said Marty Barden, a veteran of the U.S. Army. “Veterans aren't getting the proper support; they're kind of being pushed off to the side."

"If we are to maintain an all volunteer military, we must make our veterans affairs a priority in this country,” explained U.S. Navy veteran Jere Beery. “We must put that at the top of the list as directly related to national security, retention, morale in our military."

Veterans say they've called on national veterans organizations to support their cause, but the support isn't there.

"Am I griping about the national organization? You're damn right I am. “That's why this flag is upside down,” Simes said. “Let them understand it's not something we take easy that we're doing. This is something very hard, it's affecting all of us but we have to do it."

Representatives from the Canandaigua VA Hospital said they would have no comment at this time.

Joh 9:4  I must work the works of him that sent me, while it is day: the night cometh, when no man can work.
Soldier4Christ
Global Moderator
Gold Member

One Nation Under God

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2009, 08:27:34 AM »

When those that have fought and died for that which this flag symbolizes and which this flag has become a symbol of are in dire trouble then it is not disrespectful. Not only are Veterans in a dangerous situation but so is the entire nation. The very things this flag symbolizes is being desecrated and destroyed more and more by the hour.

Joh 9:4  I must work the works of him that sent me, while it is day: the night cometh, when no man can work.
Soldier4Christ
Global Moderator
Gold Member

One Nation Under God

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2009, 08:37:57 AM »

Independence Day:
 John Adams' "Day of Deliverance"

John Adams

As we approach Independence Day it is a good time to reflect on just what this special holiday means and why we celebrate as Americans.  Put as a question, we might ask, "Why all the fireworks?"

John Adams, writing on July 3, 1776 from Philadelphia to his wife, Abigail, eloquently and prophetically captured the mood that would accompany future anniversaries commemorating the signing of the Declaration of Independence:

"I am apt to believe that it will be celebrated, by succeeding Generations, as the great anniversary Festival. It ought to be commemorated, as the Day of Deliverance by solemn Acts of Devotion to God Almighty. It ought to be solemnized with Pomp and Parade, with Shews, Games, Sports, Guns, Bells, Bonfires and Illuminations from one End of this Continent to the other from this Time forward forever more."

His description sounds a lot like what the 4th of July has been for the last 233 years: parades, festivals, picnics, fireworks, music, celebratory gatherings.  But if you look carefully at Adams' words, he does not tie the revelry to an excitement only about being a new nation - America - independent of Great Britain.  He rightly understood the foundation of America, and that the fireworks and festivals also ought to include "solemn acts of Devotion to God Almighty" for "the Day of Deliverance."

The biblical imagery is unmistakable.  Adams connected the biblical Exodus with American independence, revealing both a special providence for this newly formed nation, and a special responsibility.  Writing prior to the years of bloodshed of the Revolutionary War, Adams continued his letter with full comprehension of the totality of what the emergence of our nation would mean:

"You will think me transported with Enthusiasm but I am not. - I am well aware of the Toil and Blood and Treasure, that it will cost Us to maintain this Declaration, and support and defend these States. - Yet through all the Gloom I can see the Rays of ravishing Light and Glory. I can see that the End is more than worth all the Means. And that Posterity will tryumph in that Days Transaction, even altho We should rue it, which I trust in God We shall not."

Thus, America was not to be a nation unto itself, a nation satisfied with its mere existence.  Adams envisioned America as a nation comprised of "Rays of ravishing Light and Glory." Those "rays" mean many things to many Americans, including liberty, freedom, responsibility, and charity.  These have been bought with the price of "Toil and Blood and Treasure."  The Providence Forum, together with all Americans, celebrates our Independence Day this year because so many have sacrificed so much  over the last two centuries to preserve America so that it can shine its light to the world, a light considered at its founding to be a solemn, providentially planned divine act of deliverance and freedom.

nChrist
Global Moderator
Gold Member

May God Lead And Guide Us All

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2009, 04:53:58 PM »

Hello Pastor Roger,

Brother, I'm very sad to hear about the VA Hospitals closing and the declining medical care for our Veterans. We needed more VA Hospitals - NOT less. I don't think that the American people know about this situation - I know that I didn't. I don't think that the people will tolerate this. I think that Veteran Groups should do an investigation, compile the information, and inform the general public.

I think that all the American people will tolerate is better and more efficient services to Veterans. Veterans should get the best, and they should get it FIRST. Anything less is a NATIONAL DISGRACE, something that every American should be angry about.

Soldier4Christ
Global Moderator
Gold Member

One Nation Under God

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2009, 06:08:00 PM »

Unfortunately you won't see news for Veterans or about the Veterans Association much of anywhere in the MSM and that even includes Fox News which does give limited coverage on Veterans sometimes.

nChrist
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 03, 2009, 06:22:46 PM »

Unfortunately you won't see news for Veterans or about the Veterans Association much of anywhere in the MSM and that even includes Fox News which does give limited coverage on Veterans sometimes.

Brother, we can all pray about this and maybe find ways to address this disgrace. When I first read this, I was reminded of 3 1/2 million dollars devoted to a turtle tunnel under a highway. At the same time that the Veterans are being neglected, there are outrageous and insane expenditures of taxpayer money into the triple digits of BILLIONS. SO, why don't we take care of our Veterans FIRST?

Soldier4Christ
Global Moderator
Gold Member

One Nation Under God

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 03, 2009, 08:38:22 PM »

That's because people as a whole are not as important as the earth and animals in the eyes of these maniacs and Military Veterans are the worst of the people. After all we maim, torture and kill just to be doing it according to them. But it's perfectly alright to kill people in order to save the earth and animals from nonexistent threats.

Yes, it is a complete disgrace when people are neglected, left to die or purposefully eliminated while they throw money away on stupid pork projects.

The first thing that needs done is to get rid of those holding offices right now and that includes ALL from both parties as, with a very few exceptions, none of them are doing their jobs.

nChrist
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 04, 2009, 12:01:30 AM »

Sadly, many of the lefties in so-called power probably do feel the way that you mentioned. I must remind people that I live in a place with opposite views and the deepest respect for our Veterans and Armed Forces. We have a huge and beautiful Veteran's Home here and excellent medical services on and off the base. However, I have heard about some medical conditions requiring either a special trip to Sam Houston or permissions to get services in civilian facilities here. I don't know very much about the politics of getting medical services for a Veteran, but it sounds like it's time to learn. I've always been told that the base medical services are excellent here, but I don't think they are equipped for the most catastrophic cases. I think it's time for all of us to start asking questions.

The politicians in my neck of the woods would fight a buzz-saw for the Armed Forces and any services that they need. If they didn't, they couldn't get elected here. I must also add that I'm pretty proud overall of Oklahoma Politicians. The ones I've supported for so many years are decent, God-Fearing people who still stand up for right and against wrong. I'm not hinting that everything is right here, but I am saying that we still have some politicians trying to genuinely serve the people. They are a real pain in the rear for the left, and they should be. They are also feared by the left because many people listen to them:  Tom Cole and James Inhoffe.

Shammu
Global Moderator
Gold Member

B(asic) I(nstructions) B(efore) L(eaving) E(arth)

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: July 04, 2009, 01:39:09 AM »

Displaying the American flag upside down, however, is considered by some to be disrespectful.

This is as far as I got. Undecided

It is not, disrespectful, but the meaning of the flag being upside down is America is in distress. I don't know if I could do this or not. The thing is, this Nation is in distress.

David_james
Gold Member

Jesus loves you

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 04, 2009, 05:51:38 AM »

I think you guys put veterans a little too high. Sure they deserve extra care, but first and best? What about people who need it more?

Rev 21:4  And God shall wipe away all tears from their eyes; and there shall be no more death, neither sorrow, nor crying, neither shall there be any more pain: for the former things are passed away.
nChrist
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 04, 2009, 06:27:03 AM »

I think you guys put veterans a little too high. Sure they deserve extra care, but first and best? What about people who need it more?

Hello Brother David,

The severity of the individual case would definitely be a factor. I might not have stated my feelings very well. However, many of the Veteran cases would be about as severe as one could get and still be alive. They get their wounds and injuries while laying their lives on the line for others, and proper medical care is one of the things they were promised. Their pay is obviously inadequate, so breaking a promise about healthcare is hard to stomach. We pay for gunshot wounds dope dealers get in their line of work, so what would be wrong with the picture if soldiers didn't get proper treatment for serving us all. I probably still didn't say this very well, but I think you get the general idea of my thoughts. If the severity is the same - YES - I would want the soldier treated first. The same would be true about the quality and timeliness of the treatment. Veterans were promised excellent medical treatment, and they deserve to have that promise KEPT.

Soldier4Christ
Global Moderator
Gold Member

One Nation Under God

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 04, 2009, 08:22:17 AM »

That is exactly correct.

Brother David,

I don't think that Brother Tom is talking about the innocent child that is suffering some disease should be placed behind or of less importance than a Veteran. First of all no Military Veteran that I know of would even allow that and would raise quite a ruckus over it. They fought for the freedom and proper treatment of those innocents and would always place them ahead of themselves. What is being said is that there are many that are criminals, breaking the law everyday such as the drug dealers Brother Tom mentioned. We also have numerous illegal aliens, that shouldn't even be here in the first place, that have minor medical conditions that are receiving free treatment when Veterans with life threatening conditions are doing without the medical treatments that they were promised. Like much in this world today, backwards from what it should be.

David_james
Gold Member

Jesus loves you

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 04, 2009, 08:36:44 AM »

I guess I misunderstood again.

Rev 21:4  And God shall wipe away all tears from their eyes; and there shall be no more death, neither sorrow, nor crying, neither shall there be any more pain: for the former things are passed away.
Soldier4Christ
Global Moderator
Gold Member

One Nation Under God

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 04, 2009, 09:12:47 AM »

Not entirely your fault, brother. We could and probably should have stated it different ourselves. We left much of it to be read between the lines which can cause misunderstandings.

nChrist
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 04, 2009, 03:11:12 PM »

Hello Brother David,

I know that I didn't express myself very well or clearly, so I apologize for that. This was very upsetting to me when I read about the Veterans' Hospitals closing. Those hospitals were built for a purpose - our promised quality medical care for Veterans. The Veterans kept all of their promises to us, and we need to keep our promises to them. I was also shocked and didn't know about this until yesterday. All of this is happening at the same time as massive amounts of money are either being wasted or STOLEN IN CORRUPTION!

Love In Christ,
Tom

2 Corinthians 4:3-6 ASV  3  And even if our gospel is veiled, it is veiled in them that perish: 4 in whom the god of this world hath blinded the minds of the unbelieving, that the light of the gospel of the glory of Christ, who is the image of God, should not dawn upon them. 5 For we preach not ourselves, but Christ Jesus as Lord, and ourselves as your servants for Jesus' sake. 6 Seeing it is God, that said, Light shall shine out of darkness, who shined in our hearts, to give the light of the knowledge of the glory of God in the face of Jesus Christ.

Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

More From ChristiansUnite...    About Us | Privacy Policy | | ChristiansUnite.com Site Map | Statement of Beliefs

Copyright © 1999-2019 ChristiansUnite.com. All rights reserved.
Please send your questions, comments, or bug reports to the