Webmasters
• Christian Guestbooks
• Banner Exchange
• Dynamic Content

Subscribe to our Free Newsletter.
Enter your email address:

ChristiansUnite
Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 16, 2024, 01:37:10 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Our Lord Jesus Christ loves you.
286795 Posts in 27568 Topics by 3790 Members
Latest Member: Goodwin
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  ChristiansUnite Forums
|-+  Prayer
| |-+  General Discussion (Moderator: admin)
| | |-+  Christian Worship
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Christian Worship  (Read 1734 times)
Willowbirch
Gold Member

He is risen! - He is risen indeed.

View Profile
« on: January 19, 2004, 02:40:25 PM »

This may be long...I've got lots of questions!  Cool

I know there are many denominations represented at ChristiansUnite, and many different opinions on church music. I am not trying to offend anyone by what I say here, nor am I looking for folks to agree with me. I just want feedback on the subject of worship, what it means, what is important, how it should be carried out, etc. Scripture references are always welcomed!  Grin

My family is currently attending a church that is very involved in modern styles. I'll admit, my preferences in music are deeply traditional, and I am uncomfortable with the song service. I have been told that the style does not matter as long as you are worshipping God at heart, and of course, I'm not the one being praised; I try to keep this in mind whenever the congregation or college group is fellowshipping. But it hurts. There are rarely any hymns, unless they have been twisted with modern rhythms and hip, drawn-out additions. I just cannot seem to be a part of this movement to "open your mind and sway to the music".

I had a chance to investigate the doctrine of worship in another church; they spoke against the tendency of today's churches to embrace the culture around them and fill their services with jazzy, diluted stuff to attract the "younger generation". They promoted a more traditional theme which revered the awesomeness of God, regardless of the feel-good style that pervades other congregations. In a nutshell, they basically described the purity of worship music I've been longing for.
     Just when I was feeling "welcomed home", they went on to say that any worship other than what was prescribed in the Bible is strange fire on the alter of God; they will sing only Psalms, and nothing else. They claim that hymns glorify man, not God.

This means that they will sings Martin Luther's "God is my refuge and my strength", but not "A Mighty Fortress is our God"! They share the same tune. One is a Psalm; another is the boasting of man.  Tongue

I have never heard of a church that refused to sing hymns because they were too worldly. Generally, the excuse is the opposite. "People don't like boring hymns any more. Its outdated." Etc.  Huh

These are both Reformed churches, in the same general area.

And the FUNNIEST thing about it (heehee!) is that...

In the "modern" church, many of their new-style songs are based on the Psalms. I'm sure you folks have heard them. "Create in me a clean heart, oh God, and renew a right spirit within me...". "You are God in Heaven, and here am I on earth...so I'll let my words be few..."

If the song director of the modern church came to the strict church, he wouldn't be tolerated. He sings New Style. They sing from the Psalter. But its the same Psalm!!! (Okay, done joking.)  Cheesy

Now I am confused. I don't like New Style, but I've convinced myself that my preferences don't matter (much) as long as the music glorifies God. I love the people, and if they are truly praising God with this music, I can too. But what if it really is "strange fire on the alter"? The stricter church cites several occasions when people thought they were worshipping God, and really meant it in their hearts, but did not obey the laws set for worship; they were punished. I.e., David's friend Uzzah who touched the ark. The feasters in King Hezekiah's day who came to the holy meal without proper cleansing. Cain's unworthy sacrifice. I know these are all Old Covenant examples; but do we have similar rules today? Is there a way we ought to be worshipping God as New Covenant believers? If we stray from the standards laid down for us, are we sinning, and is our praise a stench in God's nostrils?

We are told in A.D. that we must sing Psalms, share communion, etc. Are we under judgement because so few of us "greet one another with the holy kiss"? Are we condemned because so many churches have added things to the bare rules of Christian worship?

What is the line between our freedom in Christ, and disobedience to God? This opens up another avenue of discussion: have we forgotten what it is to "fear the Lord"? Have we become too familiar? And when does "God-fearing" become "legalism"?

Puzzled, troubled and a little amused,
~Joy
« Last Edit: January 20, 2004, 03:11:53 PM by Willowbirch » Logged

"Man dreams and desires; God broods, and wills, and quickens."
KT

1 John 3:8

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2004, 11:54:23 PM »

Willowbirch-

I can see how the topic of worship music can be confusing.  I used to listen to a christian radio station where I live all of the time.  When I went to church I would enjoy the worship but it wasn't like the "worship" music I was used to hearing on the radio.  As I matured in my walk with God I began to sing more scripture and not just the psalms.  I can understand the "crossover christian music" like the ones who have gone mainstream due to their more modern and appealing sound, or the church that has more progressive or modern worship.  I guess to make it more appealing or less boring.  Or maybe to say "hey christian music is cool too", like the music out there in the world, but what is the difference.  Aren't we then mirroring the world.  I mean sure, we are talking to God, extoling Him, magnifing His name. Please don't get me wrong I like most of it. ALthough there is some I just won't listen to.  The worst ever thing for me is when I hear people who aren't saved come to church and say "that was cool, the music sounds like what I listen to on the radio".  I know that can work for good and God can use that, but scripture also tells us that we are in the world not of it. So then there should be something distinctively different.  I don't want to mirror the world in my worship to the Almighty God whom I serve and love.  However my kids and husband feel differently.  They listen to it all.  I'm sure this made it more confusing and I am sorry Undecided.  I tend to listen to more prophetic worship and the church I attend is more along that line.  Declaring His word and promises for those who keep His ways and giving thanks.

blessings
karita

O my God, incline thine ear, and hear; open thine eyes, and behold our desolations, and the city which is called by thy name: for we do not present our supplications before thee for our righteouseness, but for thy great mercies.

Dan 9:18 (KJV)

As intercessors, we must contend for the lost!
Symphony
Gold Member

I'm a llama!

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2004, 12:02:28 AM »

ditto on that, KT.

I think we can pretty much tell when music is becoming sensual.

Much of our contemporary culture is sensual, and the music that goes along with it.

Christian music has no business being sensual--the drums, the bass, all that stuff.

Spiritual yes.  But there's a difference.

Africa has some of the most beautiful Christian music.   Also some of the worst sensual type, too--reflected in our culture more and more.  
Reba
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2004, 12:20:05 AM »

Willow,

I like  most of the christian music.  the ones that sound honky tonk and jerk a tear..the pop sounds... the coruses... been in churches that think a Jesus Pep rally is worship I LOVE the pep rally music but it is not worship. I dont like the idea of Psalms only, i think they are kidding them selfs to be so very rightious and sing only as the the scriptures say  when they have no clue to the music written with the words.
It is really cool that we are not all alike. I like more then one flower in my garden.

Ps 150
150:1 Praise ye the LORD. Praise God in his sanctuary: praise him in the firmament of his power.

2 Praise him for his mighty acts: praise him according to his excellent greatness.

3 Praise him with the sound of the trumpet: praise him with the psaltery and harp.

4 Praise him with the timbrel and dance: praise him with stringed instruments and organs.

5 Praise him upon the loud cymbals: praise him upon the high sounding cymbals.

6 Let every thing that hath breath praise the LORD. Praise ye the LORD.
KJV
Willowbirch
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2004, 07:39:06 AM »

Some good stuff there, folks. (And thanks, Reba, for the lovely Psalm!)

Modern Christian music does not bother me when its on the radio on my way home from work; but when its in church, for some reason it makes me very uncomfortable.

Perhaps it is because it reflects a more worldly setting, and church is supposed to be apart from that.  Undecided

Willowbirch
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2004, 03:06:46 PM »

Colossians 3:16 "Let the word of Christ dwell in you richly, as you teach and admonish one another in all wisdom, and as you sing psalms and hymns and spiritual songs with thankfulness in your hearts to God."

I believe this relates to our general contact with other believers; not just on Sunday (or Saturday), but any day.  Cheesy

ravenloche

I am a messianic christian

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2004, 11:04:05 PM »

Posted by: Willowbirch  Posted on: January 20, 2004, 06:39:06 AM  
Some good stuff there, folks. (And thanks, Reba, for the lovely Psalm!)

Modern Christian music does not bother me when its on the radio on my way home from work; but when its in church, for some reason it makes me very uncomfortable.

Perhaps it is because it reflects a more worldly setting, and church is supposed to be apart from that.    

Let us first remember that worship if first and formost an
attitude of the heart. Praise, worship, and adoration begins
in the heart and spirit.I sing, play, and write comtemporary
gospel music.My music covers all types of music:jazz, r&b,
country, pop, blues, rap(very little there not my style)soft
rock, and praise and worship. I have learned over the years
that many of the types of music thought to be ungodly, have
been incorporated into gospel music. Let us remember that
many of the traditional sacred songs were written to the
tunes of the "comtemporary" tavern songs.
We as a people tend to become bogged down with tradition,
and when we find ourselves outside of the norm we become
uncomfortable. Certain people have different preferance, or
different tastes if you will;if we were all the same we would
not be people but robots. I love the traditional sacred music,
but there are times that sacred music can not touch me, can
not move me. I also love contemporary music, but at times
it is the sacred music that touches and moves my soul.
Music was created by our Lord and was intended for his
worship; I feel that it is time to take back from the enemy of
our soul what he has stolen, and return all forms of music to
their rightful place of worshiping Jesus.

respectfully yours in Yeshua:
ravenloche

if not you, who? if not now, when?
if not here, where? if it is to be it is up to me!
John 3:17 for he came not into the world to condemn the world, but that the world thru him might be saved! Rom 8:1 there is therefore no con-
demnation to those who are in
christ Jesus...
Tibby
Gold Member

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: February 10, 2004, 11:44:34 PM »

You know my thoughts for the topic! How is it going, Willow? Did you learn to put up with it, put cotton in your ears, or did you... *shivers* start to enjoy it! Wink Grin

Was there ever a time when Common sence was common?
Willowbirch
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 11, 2004, 03:23:15 PM »

You know my thoughts for the topic! How is it going, Willow? Did you learn to put up with it, put cotton in your ears, or did you... *shivers* start to enjoy it! Wink Grin
All three!  Grin

And thanks, ravenloche, for the excellent post!

Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

More From ChristiansUnite...    About Us | Privacy Policy | | ChristiansUnite.com Site Map | Statement of Beliefs

Copyright © 1999-2019 ChristiansUnite.com. All rights reserved.
Please send your questions, comments, or bug reports to the