Webmasters
• Christian Guestbooks
• Banner Exchange
• Dynamic Content

Subscribe to our Free Newsletter.
Enter your email address:

ChristiansUnite
Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 18, 2024, 10:18:48 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Our Lord Jesus Christ loves you.
286766 Posts in 27568 Topics by 3790 Members
Latest Member: Goodwin
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  ChristiansUnite Forums
|-+  Entertainment
| |-+  Movies (Moderator: admin)
| | |-+  100 All-Time Best Movies for Christians
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: 100 All-Time Best Movies for Christians  (Read 12638 times)
light2light

View Profile
« on: June 01, 2009, 09:29:31 PM »

What do  you think of this list provided by christiancolleges.com?

[link removed]

Some of their picks seem like a stretch.

The Matrix?  One Flew Over the Cuckoo’s Nest?

Huh
« Last Edit: February 06, 2013, 06:43:10 AM by admin » Logged
David_james
Gold Member

Jesus loves you

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2009, 04:35:00 AM »

You are right.
More that shouldn't be there:
Last Temptation of Christ
Lord of the ring
Star wars
Spiderman
Dead poets society

Rev 21:4  And God shall wipe away all tears from their eyes; and there shall be no more death, neither sorrow, nor crying, neither shall there be any more pain: for the former things are passed away.
Soldier4Christ
Global Moderator
Gold Member

One Nation Under God

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2009, 09:36:14 AM »

There are many movies on that list that actually have anti-Christian teachings but that should be expected from Regent University.

Joh 9:4  I must work the works of him that sent me, while it is day: the night cometh, when no man can work.
Brother Jerry
Global Moderator
Gold Member

I'm a llama!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2009, 03:33:39 PM »

Yeah there are quite a few that I was like "WHAT?!"  Some I was ok with, and there were a few I was like, why is that not on here?

Sincerely
Brother Jerry

------
I am like most fathers.  I, like most, want more for my children than I have.

I am unlike most fathers.  What I would like my children to have more of is crowns to lay at Jesus feet.
David_james
Gold Member

Jesus loves you

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2009, 05:04:14 PM »

1. Iron Will: This true life story of a brave young man in a sled dog marathon teaches a story of sheer will.
   2. China Cry: The True Story of Nora Lam: Watch Nora Lam’s story to get inspired by her freedom from atheistic Communist China.
   4. Chariots of Fire: Watch this movie to see the inspirational tale of young athletes in the 1924 Paris Olympics.
   5. Woman, Thou Art Loosed: Michelle Jornal is raised in abuse and molestation, but meets with a Bishop who offers her guidance.
   6. Facing the Giants: Grant Taylor is a coach who is facing troubles in his life, and asks God to help him as well as his football team.
   7. Tender Mercies: In Tender Mercies, an unlikely couple help nurture each other back to happiness together.
   8. Carman-The Champion: Boxer Orlando Leone counts on faith to win the fight he’s been called back to do.
   9. The Ultimate Gift: A trust fund brat is forced to take a crash course in self discovery and reevaluation of his priorities.
  10. Fireproof: Fireproof is a feel-good drama that encourages viewers to be faithful, honest, and let God help them.
  11. The Note: A newspaper columnist finds a note from a passenger in a plane crash, and in a search to find the intended recipient changes her own life.
  12. Boys Town: This Oscar winning movie portrays a Father Flanagan who opens Boys Town and helps set juvenile delinquents straight.
  13. Dead Man Walking: This film features the true story of a nun who works to save Matthew, a condemned man.

Comedy

These movies show the funny side of God and Christianity.

17. The Princess Bride: Follow the love story of a lowly stable boy, princess, pirates, swordsmen, and more.
  18. Evan Almighty: In Evan Almighty, Steve Carrell tells the story of a modern day Noah’s ark.
  20. Jesus People: Jesus People is a Christian-made parody of evangelicals, which started out as a popular online series.

Drama

These Christian movies offer lots of drama and intrigue.

24. Elmer Gantry: In Elmer Gantry, a salesman, becomes an evangelist to spread religion in America.
  26. The Apostle: Watch The Apostle to learn of a preacher who commits a crime of passion, and works to find redemption.
  27. The Sound of Music: The Sound of Music is a much beloved tale of a spirited young nun who leaves her convent to become a governess.
  28. What Dreams May Come: This movie portrays a hell that is made up of selfishness.
  29. Left Behind: Left Behind offers a dramatic look at the rapture and the ascendance of the Antichrist.
  30. Going My Way: Bing Crosby stars in this movie as a singing priest who creates a choir out of local tough guys.
  31. The Bells of St. Mary’s : The Bells of St. Mary’s is a sequel to Going My Way, featuring Bing Crosby as a Father who takes over a parochial school.
  33. Behind the Sun: This drama is all about an ex-Muslim turned Christian who returns to the Middle East to share the Gospel.
  34. The Second Chance: Watch this movie to see a White pastor from a suburban church take on the challenge of working with an inner city Black church.
  36. The Ten Commandments: Charleton Heston and Yul Brynner star in this movie that tells the epic tale of The Ten Commandments and the life of Moses.
  37. The Other Side of Heaven: Follow the love story between a missionary to Tonga and his fiance that he left behind in The Other Side of Heaven.
  38. God’s Army: Watch this movie to see the story of a missionary in Los Angeles who finds faith in himself.
  39. One Night With the King: One Night With the King offers a look at one of the Old Testament’s most inspiring women, Esther.
  40. Lilies of the Field: Watch this movie to see a handyman help impoverished nuns in the Arizona desert create a chapel and turn their desert town into a better place.
  41. Ben-Hur: Through battles and enslavement, this movie’s star, Judah Ben-Hur gives up the sword for Christ.
  42. Quo Vadis: This historical novel turned movie asks the question, "where are you going?"
  43. The Nun’s Story: Audrey Hepburn stars in this movie that tells the story of a nun who faces challenges in her life as a missionary nurse.
  45. The Mission: The Mission tells the story of a Jesuit missionary who creates a church in the hostile jungles of Brazil.
  46. Schindler’s List: Schindler’s List tells a haunting story of Jews in World War II.

Rev 21:4  And God shall wipe away all tears from their eyes; and there shall be no more death, neither sorrow, nor crying, neither shall there be any more pain: for the former things are passed away.
David_james
Gold Member

Jesus loves you

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2009, 05:05:41 PM »

Children & Young Adult

Check out these Christian movies that are made with a younger audience in mind.

47. Chronicles of Narnia: The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe: This story is based on CS Lewis’ allegory of Christ’s life, and has good action for Christian teens to follow.
   50. Jonah: A VeggieTales Movie: This VeggieTales movie offers a friendly, fun story of Jonah.
  51. Charlie and the Chocolate Factory: Charlie and the Chocolate Factory teaches lessons of selflessness, charity, and love.
  52. Pirates Who Don’t Do Anything: A VeggieTales Movie: The heroes in Pirates Who Don’t Do Anything learn that being heroic often means just doing what’s right.
  53. The Prince of Egypt: The Prince of Egypt offers a good story of Moses and the burning bush.

Christ

Learn more about the life and death of Christ from these movies.

56. King of Kings: Watch King of Kings to get a historical look at the life of Jesus.
  57. The Nativity Story: See the tale of Christ’s birth in this drama set in Israel over two thousand years ago.
  58. Jesus of Nazareth: This epic movie offers a full portrayal of Christ’s life, death, and resurrection.
  59. The Passion of the Christ: This movie tells the story of the last 12 hours of Jesus’ life on Earth.
  60. Jesus: Watch Jesus to get a realistic account of Jesus’ life based on the Gospel of Luke.
  61. The Greatest Story Ever Told: Watch this movie to see the most famous period of Christ’s life recreated.

Historical

Check out these movies to learn about historical figures in Christianity.

62. Luther: Luther tells the story of spiritual leader Martin Luther as he leads an opposition to religious orthodoxy in the 1500s.
  63. The Decalogue: This Polish series focuses on each of the ten commandments.
  64. The Bible Collection: This gift box covers some of the most important themes and heroes in the Old Testament.
  65. The Story of Jacob and Joseph: Watch this two-part story to see Jacob fleeing his tribe, and Jacob’s favorite son, Joseph.
  66. End of the Spear: In End of the Spear, you’ll learn about Ecuadorean missionaries who were speared by a tribe they were attempting to evangelize.
  67. Robber of the Cruel Streets: Watch this documentary to learn about George Mueller, who created homes and cared for thousands of orphans.

69. Paul: The Emissary: See Paul’s journey to bring the message of salvation to the world in this short movie.
  70. John Wycliffe-The Morning Star: This historical drama focuses on John Wycliffe, who challenged the Catholic Church before Luther did.
  71. Saint Therese of the Child Jesus: Follow the life of St. Therese of Lisieux in France.
  72. Barabbas: Watch this movie to see the life of Barabbas, the criminal whose life was spared instead of Jesus’.
  73. In the Beginning: This movie takes you through stories from Abraham to Joshua.
  74. Constantine and the Cross: In this epic, you’ll see Constantine’s rise to power.
  75. The Bible Series Box Set: This set features four movies about Genesis, Solomon, Jeremiah, and Esther.
  76. Masada: Watch this epic miniseries to learn about the siege of Masada.
  77. The Gospel of John: This movie covers the Gospel of John and the final years of Jesus’ life.
  78. Moses: See the epic tale of Moses in this movie that was originally a six-hour miniseries.
  79. Amazing Grace: Amazing Grace is a historical drama about abolition of the slave trade.
  80. Saint Anthony: This film shares the inspiring life of St. Anthony of Padua.
  81. The Apocalypse: The Apocalypse highlights the Christian era when Emperor Domitian pursued a campaign against Christians.
  82. Becket: Watch this movie to learn about the relationship between Thomas Becket and King Henry II of England.
  83. Bonhoeffer: Bonhoeffer is a documentary on Christian theologian and pastor Bonhoeffer who was part of a conspiracy to assassinate Hitler.
  84. David and Bathsheba: In David and Bathsheba, you’ll see a Biblical tale of romantic obsession.
  85. The Story of Ruth: This movie highlights the epic Old Testament story of Ruth.
  86. The Radicals: In this movie, you’ll find the story of two of the thousands of Anabaptists who were martyred.
  87. The Bible…In the Beginning: Watch this movies to see the stories from the first 22 chapters in the book of Genesis.
  88. Mary, Mother of Jesus: In this movie, you’ll see the Biblical drama of Christ from Mary’s perspective.
  89. Beyond the Gates of Splendor: This moving documentary tells the story of 5 missionaries in Ecuador.
  90. Joan of Arc: Watch this movie to learn more about the story of Joan of Arc, a 15th century French heroine.
  91. A Man for All Seasons: Learn about how King Henry VIII betrayed the Roman Catholic Church in order to divorce his wife and remarry in A Man for All Seasons.
  92. Peter & Paul: Follow the story of Peter and Paul, who greatly influenced early Christianity, and were martyred.
  93. The Omega Code: This TBN-funded biblical thriller is full of Biblical prophecy for Christians to study.
  94. St. Peter: In this movie, you’ll follow the inspirational path of St. Peter.

Christmas

Watch these movies to find a good Christmas story.

95. It’s a Wonderful Life: Frank Capra’s much beloved film convinces viewers that life is most certainly worth living.
  96. A Charlie Brown Christmas: A Charlie Brown Christmas offers a Christmas tale that highlights to true meaning of the holiday.
  97. The Polar Express: Follow the Polar Express for a North Pole train ride of self discovery.
  98. A Christmas Carol: Charles Dickens’ Christmas story teaches those who watch to be more kind and learn the true meaning of the holidays.
  99. Elf: Elf is a genuinely funny and heartwarming Christmas tale.
 100. The Muppet Christmas Carol: The Muppets tell one of the best known Christmas stories of all time.

Can you guys take out more

nChrist
Global Moderator
Gold Member

May God Lead And Guide Us All

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 03, 2009, 08:21:08 PM »

Hello Brother David and All,

My wife and I have seen some of the movies you listed from the comfort of home on television. We've only been out to the theaters a handful of times with our children and grandchildren. They were all completely clean family fare and animated.

Regarding Christian films, we've seen quite a few at Church over the years that were little more than sermons, documentaries about the Holy Land, and a few that I would call Christian dramas. I think that the name of one was "The Cross and the Switchblade". It was excellent and GOD used it to bring many people to HIMSELF.

I see a distinction between a family film and a Christian film. I call it a Christian film only when it's purpose is to bring people to the LORD or instruct and build Christians. The best Christian films are not the kind that the world would go see, and they aren't the typical Hollywood production. They are made by Christian producers with tiny budgets and nothing fancy. As an example, I remember some excellent Christian films that tore the theory of evolution apart with the Bible. The people in the film weren't actors, rather real scientists and Pastors. These and others that I'm thinking about were excellent Christian films that would never be recognized as the "Top Anything".

Love In Christ,
Tom

Deuteronomy 8:16-18 ASV  16  who fed thee in the wilderness with manna, which thy fathers knew not; that he might humble thee, and that he might prove thee, to do thee good at thy latter end: 17 and lest thou say in thy heart, My power and the might of my hand hath gotten me this wealth. 18 But thou shalt remember Jehovah thy God, for it is he that giveth thee power to get wealth; that he may establish his covenant which he sware unto thy fathers, as at this day.

light2light

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 05, 2009, 10:46:52 PM »

You are right.
More that shouldn't be there:
Last Temptation of Christ
Lord of the ring
Star wars
Spiderman
Dead poets society

I guess because Star Wars was about good versus evil, they assumed that was sufficient to qualify as a Christian movie.

What's next to make the list, "Land of the Lost"?

Wink 
Barbara

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 10, 2009, 04:06:58 PM »

That's a great list David James. We've got alot of those movies at home - so we can always watch Christian content whenever we want.
Others I might add that I don't think I saw on your list:
- Flywheel - by the same people that made Facing the Giants and Fireproof
- The Appointment - a movie about never knowing when your time is up
- Late One Night - about being ready at all times to share your faith
- End of the Harvest - also about witnessing, this time in a college setting
- Resurrection - about a soldier that crucified Christ, then searched to find the truth about this innocent man that forgave him from the cross
- 7th Street Theater - an excellent series of half hour programs, about a Christian drama group that does Christian routines with a real Bible based message - Excellent Series! The first 24 programs are available with the next 24 about to be released

There's probably more, I just can't think of now...
« Last Edit: November 10, 2009, 04:49:24 PM by Barbara » Logged
islandboy
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 04, 2009, 11:10:51 AM »

My favorite this time of year is "Miracle on 34th Street."  It touches on really time values, like the value of families, believe in the greater good and believe in God.

Be not weary in your serving; Do your best for those in need; Kindness will be rewarded by the Lord who prompts the deed.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

More From ChristiansUnite...    About Us | Privacy Policy | | ChristiansUnite.com Site Map | Statement of Beliefs

Copyright © 1999-2019 ChristiansUnite.com. All rights reserved.
Please send your questions, comments, or bug reports to the