Webmasters
• Christian Guestbooks
• Banner Exchange
• Dynamic Content

Subscribe to our Free Newsletter.
Enter your email address:

ChristiansUnite
Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 28, 2024, 07:22:11 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Our Lord Jesus Christ loves you.
286808 Posts in 27568 Topics by 3790 Members
Latest Member: Goodwin
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  ChristiansUnite Forums
|-+  Theology
| |-+  General Theology (Moderator: admin)
| | |-+  no water baptism no salvation
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] Go Down Print
Author Topic: no water baptism no salvation  (Read 2665 times)
tonytony

I'm a llama!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: January 18, 2004, 03:00:00 PM »

you present something interesting here. lets consider Jesus
in Matthew 3:15 he's our follower. peter and john urged water baptism and they were prophesied and appointed by the prophet isaiah and Jesus himself. jesus could have rebuke peter and john for doing so. at least jesus rebuked peter twice. once for taking off a man's ear and twice for discouraging Jesus from dieing on the cross. bear in mind that the apostles were on one accord in doctrine. acts 2:43.
its not like are bad as it is today with so called denominations, cults, and split pharisee and saddicee doctrines. during the time in 1 Cor.1 the people were caught up on who was baptizing them so Paul needed to set order in place and tell them he's all about preaching the gospel which deals with water baptism and much more. he merely needed to tell him his sole purpose was not water baptism but rather the preaching of the gospel in general. imagine you going to
country to country as an apostle and people falling out about you baptizing every new believer. that's obviously very stressful. its stressful enough going country to country with the gospel with your life in serious danger. i can bet my life that Paul is not going to fall out with Jesus, John and Peter urging water baptism. To do so is to conflict with Acts 2:43.
even paul said God is not the author of confusion.

1 Corinthians 1:17 For Christ sent me not to baptize, but to preach the gospel: not with wisdom of words, lest the cross of Christ should be made of none effect. 18 For the preaching of the cross is to them that perish foolishness; but unto us which are saved it is the power of God.

For Christ sent me not to baptize  WOW!!!

Verse 18 For the preaching of the cross is to them that perish foolishness; but unto us which are saved it is the power of God. WOW!!!

This is the ONE Baptism Ephesians 4:5 with 1 Corithians 12:13
NO WATER.

HERE is a list of cults that do not follow Paul today because they require Israel's water baptism for salvation.... Jehovah's Witnesses , Catholics, Mormons, Church of Christ, and others.... who you going to believe? Men or God?
ollie
Gold Member

Being born again, .....by the word of God,

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 18, 2004, 03:19:01 PM »

Water baptism is not necessary in order to be saved. Baptism is something that one does after they are saved.

A few examples of those saved without baptism.

The thief on the cross was saved without baptism.

The immoral woman of Luke 7 was saved without baptism.

The blind man of John 9 was saved without baptism.

Zacchaeus in Luke 19 was saved without baptism.

Pilgrim
Were these people mentioned still under the old covenant and saved by Christ in person Himself? Does that make it different from the way we are saved under grace?  

Support your local Christian.
Sower

Romans 8:31-39

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 18, 2004, 03:37:43 PM »

water is water and spirit and spirit...

Amen!![/b]  ...and blood is blood.  Such has been and always will be the basis for redemption.  Belief is the basis for salvation.  Blood bought redemption via the shed blood of Jesus Christ on the cross of Calvary alone, and the faith proffered by the word to attain that payment.  Praise God!!

Amen, Allinall.

"What can wash away our sins?  Nothing but the BLOOD of Jesus".

Grace, mercy, and peace, from God our Father, and Jesus Christ our Lord. 1 Timothy 1:2
ollie
Gold Member

Being born again, .....by the word of God,

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 18, 2004, 03:39:53 PM »

1 Corinthians 1:17 For Christ sent me not to baptize, but to preach the gospel: not with wisdom of words, lest the cross of Christ should be made of none effect. 18 For the preaching of the cross is to them that perish foolishness; but unto us which are saved it is the power of God.

For Christ sent me not to baptize  WOW!!!

Verse 18 For the preaching of the cross is to them that perish foolishness; but unto us which are saved it is the power of God. WOW!!!

This is the ONE Baptism Ephesians 4:5 with 1 Corithians 12:13
NO WATER.

HERE is a list of cults that do not follow Paul today because they require Israel's water baptism for salvation.... Jehovah's Witnesses , Catholics, Mormons, Church of Christ, and others.... who you going to believe? Men or God?
"For Christ sent me not to baptize  WOW!!!"

1 Corinthians 1:10.  Now I beseech you, brethren, by the name of our Lord Jesus Christ, that ye all speak the same thing, and that there be no divisions among you; but that ye be perfectly joined together in the same mind and in the same judgment.
 11.  For it hath been declared unto me of you, my brethren, by them which are of the house of Chloe, that there are contentions among you.
 12.  Now this I say, that every one of you saith, I am of Paul; and I of Apollos; and I of Cephas; and I of Christ.
 13.  Is Christ divided? was Paul crucified for you? or were ye baptized in the name of Paul?

14.  I thank God that I baptized none of you, but Crispus and Gaius;
 15.  Lest any should say that I had baptized in mine own name.
 16.  And I baptized also the household of Stephanas: besides, I know not whether I baptized any other.
 17.  For Christ sent me not to baptize, but to preach the gospel: not with wisdom of words, lest the cross of Christ should be made of none effect.

It is about division and not baptism. Paul says he is glad he baptized none of them because of their division and not standing in the unity of Christ.

Paul did baptise as these verses show.
 Paul proclaims that the preaching of the gospel is why Christ sent him, not to baptise and it is infered from other scripture that baptism can be carried out by any brother in Christ.

Pauls prime work from Christ was preaching Christ to the Gentiles.

Support your local Christian.
Pilgrim

Jesus is Lord

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: January 18, 2004, 04:40:50 PM »

Water baptism is not necessary in order to be saved. Baptism is something that one does after they are saved.

A few examples of those saved without baptism.

The thief on the cross was saved without baptism.

The immoral woman of Luke 7 was saved without baptism.

The blind man of John 9 was saved without baptism.

Zacchaeus in Luke 19 was saved without baptism.

Pilgrim
Were these people mentioned still under the old covenant and saved by Christ in person Himself? Does that make it different from the way we are saved under grace?  

Hi Ollie,

It doesn’t matter what covenant a person was under at the time of salvation. There is only one gospel and no more. If people before the cross were saved differently than those after the cross you would have more than one gospel. So if people before the cross were saved without baptism then people after the cross are saved without baptism. Hebrew 9:15 tells us the redemption of Old Testament saint was based in the New Covenant, not the Old.

Heb 9:15 “And for this cause he is the mediator of the new testament, that by means of death, for the redemption of the transgressions that were under the first testament, they which are called might receive the promise of eternal inheritance.”

Also, Hebrew 4:2 tells us that the gospel we now have is the same gospel that was preached to those wondering in the wilderness under Moses. Seeing that the Gospel is the same one for those under the Old Covenant as it is for those under the New then the conditions of salvation would be the same. So if Old Testament saints were saved apart from baptism then New Testament saints will be too.

Heb 4:2 “For unto us was the gospel preached, as well as unto them: but the word preached did not profit them, not being mixed with faith in them that heard it.”

God bless
Pilgrim

New Life Bible Chapel
http://www.nlbchapel.org
The Crusader
« Reply #20 on: January 19, 2004, 03:52:55 AM »

Good teaching Ambassador.

The Crusader
Pages: 1 [2] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

More From ChristiansUnite...    About Us | Privacy Policy | | ChristiansUnite.com Site Map | Statement of Beliefs

Copyright © 1999-2019 ChristiansUnite.com. All rights reserved.
Please send your questions, comments, or bug reports to the