Webmasters
• Christian Guestbooks
• Banner Exchange
• Dynamic Content

Subscribe to our Free Newsletter.
Enter your email address:

ChristiansUnite
Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 04:28:26 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Our Lord Jesus Christ loves you.
286776 Posts in 27568 Topics by 3790 Members
Latest Member: Goodwin
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  ChristiansUnite Forums
|-+  Theology
| |-+  Apologetics (Moderator: admin)
| | |-+  What is my Role?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: What is my Role?  (Read 3378 times)
shardae

View Profile
« on: February 16, 2009, 10:44:17 PM »

I would like responses from both men and women. I would like to know what my role as a wife is? I also want more clarification on submission. I want to live the way God wants me to and I also want to be a good example for my children.
Soldier4Christ
Global Moderator
Gold Member

One Nation Under God

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2009, 10:48:02 AM »

This is not a subject that can be thoroughly answered with a simple post. It requires a more in depth study in order to understand it all. The role of a wife goes beyond just simply being a wife. She is wife, mother, teacher and many times the older women are to be a councilor to the younger women.

With this understanding I want to make sure that people realize that I am not placing women in a position that is of lessor importance than anyone else. Her role is of the utmost importance. At the same time we need to see that God has placed an order in a womans relationship to others just as He did in the relationship of all in the body of Christ. (Eph 5:21-24)

Let's look at a few scriptures on this subject to start with. For now I am just going to list the scriptures themselves without a commentary on them.

Gen 3:16  Unto the woman he said, I will greatly multiply thy sorrow and thy conception; in sorrow thou shalt bring forth children; and thy desire shall be to thy husband, and he shall rule over thee.

Eph 5:21  Submitting yourselves one to another in the fear of God.
Eph 5:22  Wives, submit yourselves unto your own husbands, as unto the Lord.
Eph 5:23  For the husband is the head of the wife, even as Christ is the head of the church: and he is the saviour of the body.
Eph 5:24  Therefore as the church is subject unto Christ, so let the wives be to their own husbands in every thing.

Col 3:17  And whatsoever ye do in word or deed, do all in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God and the Father by him.
Col 3:18  Wives, submit yourselves unto your own husbands, as it is fit in the Lord.

1Ti 2:12  But I suffer not a woman to teach, nor to usurp authority over the man, but to be in silence.

Tit 2:5  To be discreet, chaste, keepers at home, good, obedient to their own husbands, that the word of God be not blasphemed.

1Pe 3:1  Likewise, ye wives, be in subjection to your own husbands; that, if any obey not the word, they also may without the word be won by the conversation of the wives;
1Pe 3:2  While they behold your chaste conversation coupled with fear.

Joh 9:4  I must work the works of him that sent me, while it is day: the night cometh, when no man can work.
Brother Jerry
Global Moderator
Gold Member

I'm a llama!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2009, 04:54:48 PM »

PR is absolutely correct.  This is not a quick subject.  Attempting to take it quickly without real study is what leads to many of the problems that we face today.  Many non-believers will think that we believe that a woman should be a subject of the husband, doing his bidding whenever he desires....but that is not the case and deeper study will show that.

I always like to remember just a couple of things when starting this out.  The husband is commanded to love his wife, however you will find that she is not commanded to love him.  But I always like to start out by looking at what the Bible has to say about the husband and his relationship to his wife.

Eph 5:25 Husbands, love your wives, even as Christ also loved the church, and gave himself for it;
- Here is the commandment.  A Husband is to love his wife as Christ loved the church, and Christ gave his life out of love for the church.  A husband who loves his wife and is willing to die for her is generally not going to be the type to abuse or mistreat her.
Eph 5:28 So ought men to love their wives as their own bodies. He that loveth his wife loveth himself
- Again commanded to love the wife.  A reference to loving her as he would himself.  So treat her as you would like to be treated.
Col 3:19 Husbands, love your wives, and be not bitter against them
- Commanded again. 
1 Cor 7:3 Let the husband render unto the wife due benevolence: and likewise also the wife unto the husband.
- The husband is directed to give the wife the respect that is due.
1 Cor 7:4 The wife hath not power of her own body, but the husband: and likewise also the husband hath not power of his own body, but the wife.
- We see here that the husband is to give his body over to his wife.
1 Peter 3:7 Likewise, ye husbands, dwell with them according to knowledge, giving honour unto the wife, as unto the weaker vessel, and as being heirs together of the grace of life; that your prayers be not hindered.
- Give honour unto the wife, being heirs together... the husband gives honor and with his wife are heirs.
1 Cor 11:7 For a man indeed ought not to cover his head, forasmuch as he is the image and glory of God: but the woman is the glory of the man.

Sincerely
Brother Jerry

------
I am like most fathers.  I, like most, want more for my children than I have.

I am unlike most fathers.  What I would like my children to have more of is crowns to lay at Jesus feet.
shardae

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2009, 09:09:43 PM »

Eph 5:21  Submitting yourselves one to another in the fear of God.
Eph 5:22  Wives, submit yourselves unto your own husbands, as unto the Lord.
Eph 5:23  For the husband is the head of the wife, even as Christ is the head of the church: and he is the saviour of the body.
I think some women take submission as a negative like they are beneath men and are supposed to be like a slave. When I think of submission, I think of love. Just like love for Christ. I submit out of love. I love to do works for God not because I have to because I am already promised salvation but because I love God and want to please him just like I love my husband and I do things to make him happy.
Brother Jerry
Global Moderator
Gold Member

I'm a llama!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2009, 11:18:10 AM »

You are absolutely correct.

It has been my experience that if a man has turned himself completely over to God and has a strong relationship with Jesus, then the woman that God has provided for him will be more than happy to follow him to the ends of the earth.  And he will be proud to have her as his wife and love her just as Christ loved the church.

Sincerely
Brother Jerry

------
I am like most fathers.  I, like most, want more for my children than I have.

I am unlike most fathers.  What I would like my children to have more of is crowns to lay at Jesus feet.
nChrist
Global Moderator
Gold Member

May God Lead And Guide Us All

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2009, 01:16:10 PM »

AMEN!

This is a beautiful thread, and I'm happy to see such a worthy discussion. We live in a day and time where many homes are broken. I just have one thing that I would like to add to the discussion. There are two words that should be heard frequently in Christian Homes:  THE CHRIST! CHRIST HIMSELF is to be the HEAD of the home in more than one way. As Christians, we must always remember that we are members of HIS BODY - THE CHURCH WHICH IS THE BODY OF CHRIST - AN ETERNAL CHURCH WITH CHRIST AS THE HEAD! This should help us all put everything else in our lives into the proper perspective.

Bluntly, how hard would it be to BREAK a CHRISTIAN HOME if CHRIST was the FOUNDATION AND THE HEAD OVER IT? I also love how GOD'S WORD describes a "Worthy Woman" and what her value is. I want to share this portion of Scripture with everyone.

Love In Christ,
Tom

Proverbs 31:10-31 ASV  A worthy woman who can find? For her price is far above rubies.  11  The heart of her husband trusteth in her, And he shall have no lack of gain.  12  She doeth him good and not evil All the days of her life.  13  She seeketh wool and flax, And worketh willingly with her hands.  14  She is like the merchant-ships; She bringeth her bread from afar.  15  She riseth also while it is yet night, And giveth food to her household, And their task to her maidens.  16  She considereth a field, and buyeth it; With the fruit of her hands she planteth a vineyard.  17  She girdeth her loins with strength, And maketh strong her arms.  18  She perceiveth that her merchandise is profitable: Her lamp goeth not out by night.  19  She layeth her hands to the distaff, And her hands hold the spindle.  20  She stretcheth out her hand to the poor; Yea, she reacheth forth her hands to the needy.  21  She is not afraid of the snow for her household; For all her household are clothed with scarlet.  22  She maketh for herself carpets of tapestry; Her clothing is fine linen and purple.  23  Her husband is known in the gates, When he sitteth among the elders of the land.  24  She maketh linen garments and selleth them, And delivereth girdles unto the merchant.  25  Strength and dignity are her clothing; And she laugheth at the time to come.  26  She openeth her mouth with wisdom; And the law of kindness is on her tongue.  27  She looketh well to the ways of her household, And eateth not the bread of idleness.  28  Her children rise up, and call her blessed; Her husband also, and he praiseth her, saying:  29  Many daughters have done worthily, But thou excellest them all.  30  Grace is deceitful, and beauty is vain; But a woman that feareth Jehovah, she shall be praised.  31  Give her of the fruit of her hands; And let her works praise her in the gates.

Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

More From ChristiansUnite...    About Us | Privacy Policy | | ChristiansUnite.com Site Map | Statement of Beliefs

Copyright © 1999-2019 ChristiansUnite.com. All rights reserved.
Please send your questions, comments, or bug reports to the